logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-22 20:11
Review: "Shiver" (Unbreakable Bonds, #1) by Jocelynn Drake & Rinda Elliott
Shiver - Rinda Elliott,Jocelynn Drake

I absolutely loved, loved, LOVED this book and each and every character!

While the main romance between Lucas and Andrei alone made me melt into a puddle of goo, it was the friendship/brotherhood between Lucas, Snow, Rowe and Ian that really made this book absolutely compelling for me, and I cannot WAIT to read the other guys' stories (especially Ian's ❤️).

~ 5 STARS ~

review 2019-01-21 20:05
DNF
Demons Prefer Blondes - Sidney Ayers

I gave this library book a good try.  It had such promise of an interesting storyline.

So uneven.  I couldn't get a fix on any of the characters between fluctuating personalities and dialogue (just jumped all over the place).  Add in some bad stereotypes.  I could even have gotten over the bits that almost seem like an author was tossing in little homages, sendups, bashings or anecdotes about their real life acquaintances.  Worldbuilding was in pretty broad strokes, but had interesting bits I thought could make for a nice long series.

I'm not sure exactly how to put my finger on what went wrong for me.  One minute the good guy was nice and the next a jerk, one minute the mc was capable and quiet but the next petty and prejudiced ... About the time I'd like the book, something would annoy me or break the immersion.  Just couldn't get a feel for the characters and the storyline was better as premise than in execution.

Not completely giving up on author; later books might show more skills as they develop as  writer.  The writing and editing weren't the issues for me; just not connecting to the characters and the storyline uneven.

review 2019-01-21 19:45
When the Lights Go Out by Mary Kubica
When The Lights Go Out - Mary Kubica

I was going to write a real review for this book but it doesn’t deserve it. This book made me so crazy-mad that I am not going to waste my time. Up until the last quarter or so I would’ve rated it a 3 ½. It was holding my attention even though some of the themes; the insatiable baby-lust, the absent husband who may or may not be cheating, etc. were all too familiar after just finishing up this author’s novel Pretty Baby and I may have mixed them up a time or two in my head but it wasn’t awful by any means. There were lots of secrets lurking and I really did want to keep reading to discover them all until the big reveal was unleashed upon me. It was weak, manipulative, over-used, unoriginal, and the lamest of lame-ass plot reveals. I couldn’t believe what the author had just done to me. I still can’t! I feel cheated, misled and more disappointed than mere words can say.
And for that this book is getting a VERY generous 2.

review 2019-01-21 02:18
This review is brought to you by the puddle of goo that use to be me...
Criminal Intentions: Cult of Personality - Cole McCade

This one melted me...I use to be a real person but now I'm just a puddle of goo in my office chair.

To start with we have yet another crime for our intrepid couple to solve and this one is every bit as disturbing as previous cases. While we have the similarity of a father and son being involved that's where it all ends and the only clue that Mal and Seong-Jae have to help them solve their case is "he pushed me." not a lot to go on. As Mal and Seong-Jae begin their investigation a suspected suicide starts to look a bit suspicious as it looks more and more like their victim might have had a helping hand. Without fail I have been enthralled by each and every case that we've been presented with.

And as always in between the demands of their jobs and life in general there has been Seong-Jae and Mal exploring their relationship as both men admit to their feelings and their willingness to see where things can go. But of course this isn't going to happen without the usual banter and snark that flows between these two men as easily as breathing. I was honestly worried about how things would change once they became more involved and while it has changed especially with Malcolm it works...it works so wonderfully well. I think it's as much of a surprise for Seong-Jae as it was for me to discover that his 'old wolf' is  a cuddler and maybe a bit on the sappy side but it all seems to be such a part of him. If I was enamored of these two before they actually started being a couple it's only gotten better with this episode.

I know I've indicated in previous reviews that there's also a bigger picture story being woven throughout this series from episode to episode and it's still there and with each episode it's moving more and more to the foreground and in very surprising ways it's also becoming entangled with each episode's storyline as it draws the reader into a spiderweb that's threatening to trap everything that it touches. So far there have been hints of where this threat has originated from but the real mystery isn't where it's come from, but where it's going and how it's all going to end.

Ok, so I'm trying not to gush too much here but seriously I'm not sure how to refrain from this or how to explain just how incredibly hot these two men are...honestly, I've read entire stories that haven't been nearly as incendiary as one simple moment between these two men and I'm talking about moments that did not involve anyone getting naked...there have been simple moments of a hand straightening a tie, a kiss, a look that promises steam and heat and passion and then there are the promises...promises that speak of knowing each other of caring of never letting the other fall.

Criminal Intentions is by no means a conventional love story but these MCs are to say the least by no means a conventional pairing and at the end of the day it all works and just like a favorite television show I look forward to each new episode and finding out what unexpected surprises it's going to hold for me.

*************************

An ARC of 'Criminal Intentions: Cult of Personality' was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2019-01-21 01:06
The Other Book is also a different book...
The Other Book - Roe Horvat

I'm fairly new to the writings of Roe Horvat...as in this is my second book by this author and honestly what I'm left wondering at this point is "damn, girl what the hell have you been waiting for?".

'The Other Book' is one of the few books that I've read that while it has a fair amount of sex in it there are two things that I found to be very different from most other books that can make this claim...one...the sex is not gratuitous, it is an integral part of the story and two...it never felt excessive or unnecessary at any given time and I almost forgot there's a very solid story that it supports...not the other way around.

Tyler and Joel are two incredibly different men. Tyler's comfortable in his own skin he knows who he is and he's more than good with it. He's been raised by a mother who's both loving and supportive and I suspect a bit of a free spirit...she was a delightful addition to this story.

Joel is like a spring that's been wound too tight and one touch and it's going to fly out of it's casing and go in a million different directions. Joel's been raised by his father who to say the least is the polar opposite of Tyler's mother.

Tyler's convinced that Joel hates him and frustrated by his inability to figure out why he finally confronts the Joel only to discover that Joel feelings are driven more by desire than derision leading to the beginning of a relationship that at the beginning is entirely sexual and about Joel ceding total control of things to Tyler allowing him to let go and just feel without the responsibility of making the decisions.

As time passes Tyler begins to realize that Joel isn't entirely what he seems to be and that he's a man in need of someone to love him and Tyler also begins to realize that he's the man that Joel needs.

I loved the journey that took Tyler and Joel from essentially being enemies to lovers. I loved that while there was a lot of sex in this one because of the nature of their relationship quite honestly it was a very sexual relationship and a story about two men involved in a relationship that starts out as purely sexual and then not to have any sex or at times a lot of sex would have seemed a little strange and while it's a fine line between a lot of sex and too much sex that like was walked perfectly this time around.

I'm looking forward to delving into more of this authors works in the near future. I've become enchanted with the authors writing, with the locations and the wonderful characters who inhabit them and last but not least with how the author brings it all together to create a story that captures me mind, heart and soul.

*************************

An ARC of 'The Other Book' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.