logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-02-22 22:30
I've read 93% of The Disembodied and WOW, ...
The Disembodied - Anthony Hains

I can't believe what just happened!

review 2017-02-22 21:25
The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01 by Mizue Tani
The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 - Ayuko,Mizue Tani

When I was younger, I used to read manga all the time. In fact, it was the only thing I read for many years of my youth. However, getting older, I have fallen out of the habit of reading manga on a regular basis. It has been a very long time since I've read manga and I've been trying to get back into it. So when my partner came home with the first volume of The Earl and the Fairy she borrowed from work, I decided to give it a read. I have to say it's not a bad read.

I liked the simplistic feel to the story. You can literally just pick it up and fall into the story quite easily. The story is not convoluted to the point you don't understand what the fairies's roles are or how the myths of these fairies are interwoven into the actual plot of the story. And even though not everything is revealed from the get-go, it's not difficult to follow along with the characters.

Speaking of characters, I do feel like they were on the weaker side. The main character, Lydia, falls under a lot of tropes you tend to find in shoujo manga. She's supposed to be "tough" and takes "no nonsense" from the male lead, but she ultimately ends up doing whatever he tells her to do because she's "sweet and naive." The male lead, Edgar, tries to come off as charming and caring but he still manipulates Lydia every chance he gets. Mind you, he DOES acknowledge that what he's doing is wrong, but that still doesn't excuse the behavior. And even though I feel like the characters were not this manga's strongest point, it did leave me feeling that there's room for growth and I do think we shall see that growth in later volumes. I do have hope for that.

Lastly, the art wasn't anything special. It's very typical "cutesy" style with Lydia having pretty flowing hair and big eyes, whilst Edgar is all "broody" and "mysterious" and has darker tones to his outfits. I will say the outfits to the characters are very beautiful. It's not a bad art style, it's just a style I've seen before.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good read. It's harmless fun with interesting lore that, I'm sure will get explored more along with the characters' growth. I really did like what I read and I'm not opposed to reading the next volume. However, I won't go out of my way to read it right away either. If this sounds like your sort of manga, then go right ahead and pick it up. It's a pretty fast, simple read.

review 2017-02-22 19:20
Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine by Kelly Sue DeConnick
Bitch Planet Volume 1 - Kelly Sue DeConnick,Robert Wilson IV,Valentine De Landro

Bitch Planet is one of those graphic novels everyone seems to recommend. And I can see why! It's about a group of women who are deemed "disobedient" from the male-dominated government and are sent to a distant prison planet called "Bitch Planet" to be "straightened out." There they have to do what they're told if they hope to survive. But the main group of women we follow are definitely not keen on such a notion. Then, obviously, rebellion ensues.

I first heard of Bitch Planet through BookTube. When I heard so many people talking about how feminist and inclusive it was, I had to give it a read. And I'm so glad I did! The entire first volume is incredible! The art is gorgeous! It's very colorful when it wants to be and gritty when it has to be. I love the character designs the most! All the women have different body shapes, skin color, and sexual orientations. I love the diversity within these pages and the women portrayed therein.

The plot itself is so intriguing. I want to know what our characters are going to do now that they are within this prison. We got to see some background stories for a couple of characters. I love Penny's background story the most. It's tragic, yes, but it helps the reader understand who she is as a person. It helps the reader understand some of the actions she chooses to make. I love her so much. I love ALL the characters so much! Well... except the ones we're supposed to hate... I don't like them as much.

And that's all I'm going to say about it! Read this graphic novel! It's fun, engaging, intersectional feminism, daring, and intriguing! However, this is for a very mature audience. There's violence, nudity, sexual content, and gore. But if you're okay with that sort of content, then I highly recommend you pick up this graphic novel. It's filled with a diverse cast of women trying to make it in a world that refuses to allow women to be themselves. It's a fantastic read.

review 2017-02-22 18:31
Swapship Troopers by Walker Long
Swapship Troopers - Walker Long

Swapship Troopers is a story filled with lots of giant bug killing and lots of sexy times. What more could you want?

I read one too many short story horror collections last month and was feeling the need to stop reading, maybe forever, and pick myself up a new hobby but instead I decided to give this one a shot (I did commit to review it, after all) and it knocked me right out of my mini-slump. Now, I’m no fan of action or military maneuvers so there’s no need to be put off by the Starship Troopers resemblance if you aren’t either. I haven’t read Starship Troopers which, from what I’ve heard, may likely bore me to death but I did see the movie. I loved the movie. It was gory fun. This book is gory fun too and it’s not at all boring.

It’s about giant ant-like alien monsters who occupy planets and murder everything in their path and the Marines who risk their lives to keep civilians safe. All that alien murderation makes a man weary and eager to burn off some steam but the trouble is they are often deployed to planets where the only companionship they have are each other. In order to keep morale up, the military creates something called “Pink Vector” which is an injectable that turns men into women. There’s also a “Blue Vector” serum to turn them back once the fun is over.

Half of the men are injected and suddenly grow womanly parts. They’re all good humored and open minded and go along with this kooky plan. Much fun is had. Then they are turned back into men and are eager to get back to work.

Now don’t you go thinking too hard about the implications about any of this. This is a book that doesn’t seem to take itself too seriously and I loved that. Some of the men aren’t the comeliest of women but everyone just goes with the flow and has a good, kinky time. Yeah, what goes on is a little nutzo but I mean that as a compliment. It’s beautifully nutzo and even a little romantic when one paired up couple begin to have feelings other than the sexy kind for each other.

The blend of sexy times vs. action is well balanced. There is a lot of action but it never bored me which is kind of shocking actually. I thought it was hilarious to watch a tough Marine turn into a woman and then have to deal with pervy civilians as they treated him as if he were braindead and a toy for them to paw and insult.

I enjoyed this book so much. Yeah, so, it perhaps wasn’t the most believable of romances starting out but considering the circumstances, the author did a decent job of turning pure sexual attraction into something more in the end. It also never got angsty or dreary and was just what I needed after my series of dark and dreadful reads the month previous. It was totally enjoyable and that’s all that counts to me.

Challenges
Audiobook Challenge: Book #6 Not an audio

HA Mount TBR Challenge: Book #9 Not a tbr

HA Pages Read Challenge

2017 Horror Reading Challenge Book #7

review 2017-02-22 18:19
Review: "Doctor's Orders" (Groves' Anatomy, #3) by Scarlet Cox
Doctor's Orders - Scarlet Cox

"How had the broad-shouldered doctor turned him from horny jock to tormented tramp in a single visit?"

Maybe by looking like this:

(Sorry, not really much of a review, I know. But the story was silly since it's PWP and I had a damned good time reading it, so it counts. Because I say so.)