logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-19 21:03
This is quickly becoming the most challenging review...EVAH!!!
Covet - Yolande Kleinn

Truthfully this is the third time I've tried to start this review and in my brain it's probably the twentieth. My goal here isn't to tell you what the stories about but to share with you why I was so gobsmacked by this one and truthfully to get you the reader to at least take a peek at it or maybe even decide to read the story.

'Covet' at first glance appears to be a menage book that involves twincest...nope, sorry wrong. Truthfully I don't even think I would call it a 'menage' story in the true sense of the word and as for the twincest...not here. By definition 'twincest' is an incestuous sexual relationship  between twins or siblings who look very similar and that doesn't happen here. Peter and Jack are twins but there is 'no' sexual attraction between Jack and Peter. What there is...is a bit of a problem since both men are attracted to Colin.

Colin is a professor at the local university where Jack also works.  While Peter is a lawyer. Peter and Jack have a close relationship and while Jack's attraction to Colin is there from the start, initially Peter's only interest is curiosity about the man who seems to be garnering more interest than his brother has given to anyone in the past and from there they become friends for Peter and Coliin the sexual interest is more of a slow burn.

For Colin and Jack their progression to an intimate relationship while quicker still takes ore time since Colin has just gotten out of a 5 year relationship and he's not looking for anything new, but Jack's determined and he knows how to play the game. So with a little patience, determination and willingness to take things slower than he'd like Jack moves his relationship from friends to friends with benefits.

The relationship between Jack and Peter is definitely put to the test when Jack learns that Peter's interest in Colin has gone beyond the platonic. The relationship between these three men is...well...not to sound cliche but...yeah, it's complicated and then some. It's also handled incredibly well by the author.  This is my second book by Yolande Kleinn and while I enjoyed 'Running Hot' I'd be remiss if I didn't also say that 'Yolande Kleinn has impressed the hell out of me with the story that she's created this time around'.

Aannnddd having said all that I did have one disappointment with this story which was the ending specifically the epilogue. Unfortunately that's about all I'm going to say about that because otherwise I'll be  sharing more in terms of details than I want to share...now, now don't get into a panic it's not that there wasn't any happy at the end you can breath comfortable about that the happy is there and admittedly it may well be that that I'm if not the only one, I'm one of a very few readers who are bothered by the epilogue, but I was so that's the reason there's not 5 stars here.

That this is one of the most challenging reviews I've ever had to write doesn't surprise me since this book contains some of the most challenging relationships I've encountered in a book in a very, very long time and yes, I do mean relationships because 'Covet' isn't just about the relationship between Jack, Peter and Colin...no it goes well beyond that. The author has given us time with Jack and Colin, Peter and Jack, Peter and Colin and we even got some time with Peter and Maureen...before things ended between them. I only mention this because while things didn't work out between Peter and Maureen, I really like the character of Maureen.

So, I'm just going to have a little babble about Maureen here. Maureen was initially Peter's girlfriend and what I really loved about this character was that she was a successful, confident professional (lawyer), she wasn't clingy or needy and when things ended with Peter she didn't turn into a raging bitch!!! Seriously I loved Maureen...please can we have more women like her in books. It was awesome to see a woman portrayed in such a positive light. Maureen didn't have a lot of page time but that's ok because what she had as appropriate to her role in the story. Maureen is one of a very few  female characters that I've encountered in a book in a long time that I truly enjoyed and thus ends my little babbling tribute to the character of Maureen.

'Covet' is a very relationship driven story and truthfully none of those relationships are easy or simple but in many ways they are very solid and real. Just like in real life relationships aren't always what they seem to be sometimes they are more or less than what the world sees but always they are unique to the people in them.

*************************

A copy of 'Covet' was graciously provide by the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-01-19 04:32

Release Date: January 22, 2018
Reviewed by: Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
5 stars from Us
Kindle Copy

Ivy Gaines has loved one man in her lifetime. After fifteen years of marriage and three kids, reality hasn’t changed that—but sometimes love isn’t enough.

West “Camo” Gaines has never wanted anyone the way he wants his wife, but the Notorious Devils’ club life has opened his eyes and awakened a desire he knows he can’t explore with the mother of his children.

Lies, misunderstanding, betrayal and silence are the bitter pills they swallow daily as the marriage they thought would last forever begins to unravel. It isn’t until club rivalries threaten to shatter their entire world that they realize how much they have to fight for.

When things get rough and real, they’re forced to remember just how deep their love goes.

I am really going to miss this series......
This was one hot read from cover to cover and we loved it and it had a superb ending to a great series!We are hoping this author has another MC series in store for us in the near future.

This story had everything a MC romance needs to make it exciting and enticing and super hot along with having a amazing cast of characters present and past.This was  such a touching romance story that you could not help but feel
emotional about its characters and their marriageable problems.I am sure a lot of married couples like myself have gone where Ivy and West have gone so I was really able to relate to them.I loved how Ivy took charge of her life and decided to make changes to her benefit and hers alone. West aka Camo on the other hand I just wanted to smack up side of the head for the mistakes he continued to make regarding his treatment of Ivy and that of his kids.

I always pick a favorite character as my top favorite and mine is going to be Ivy.I loved everything about Ivy and her character for the onset of the story.I found Ivy to be strong and independent,intelligent,kind, caring,I loved how she loved so fiercely both her kids and husband.I loved how she was determined to make a happy life with or without West.I loved no matter what trouble she and West were experiencing and even his blatant disregard for her she never stop loving him.My heart just broke for Ivy and how she was treated and how she must have felt defeated and depressed knowing sometimes love just isn't enough.

West aka Camo really pissed me off.I have to stay I was all the way team Ivy.West could have avoided  so such much pain and suffering that he had caused Ivy if he had just trusted her enough to talk to her about how he was feeling regarding his heart along with how he needed something more from their current sex life.What really ticked me off about West is how he constantly did everything to make Ivy feel like shit yet kept having sex with her and constantly reminding her she belonged to him all the while he planned on leaving her.How messed up is he? I have to say that I liked West as a character up to this point but, this current story my feelings
 toward him were not ones of like and I want to say as the story progressed he did not redeem himself in my eyes.

This story was engrossing from the onset of the story and had you get emotionally attached
  to its characters.I loved being on Ivy and West's journey and it just proves to you what the say is true sometimes love is not enough and their story could have ended way differently then it did.Ivy and West's problems were not easy ones to overcome its just that Ivy was willing to at least explore sexually that gave their marriage a chance at all.I have to say that my heart went out to Ivy more than once in this story and  I wanted to be right along side of her sheeding tears for her and with her.

Regardless of the trouble this couple were
experiencing they were hot is hell together in and out of the bedroom and the sparks and chemistry was always there and the love they shared with one another quite evident .This is something a couple hopes to achieve or maintain after so many years together and yet feeling the way West did for his wife he was willing to trough what that had away in a heartbeat yet, others only
dream of what he already had!!

I have to make a special mention of Soar throughout this story as we saw just how much Soar has grown over this series as he was in a similar situation with his marriage and was offering marital advice was just to funny.Unlike West Soar redeemed himself in my eyes.
Although his advice was genuine kind and based on his past experience trying to get West to listen to him was impossible.

Soar the ex drug addict man whore who cheated on his wife their entire marriage is now a reformed man giving marriage advice.I loved it!Priceless.....

I love when you can connect with the characters that you read about and I was able to do that with this cast of characters as we love them and even those we love to hate.For me when that happens I know I am going to love
the  story I am reading and I did just that.A page turner for sure.The author created a special and a  emotional story for us to read and created and amazing ending to a series that we have grown to love and we are really are going to miss the characters that this author had created for us.One thing that is great about owning books is that you can bring them out and re-read them anytime you want to revisit your favorite characters over and over again.

A recommend read to all! Each and every story I have read by this author we have loved and we hope that whatever this author decides to create is another series for us to fall in love with all over again.One of the things I love about this author is the way she interacts with her fans
and the way she takes an interest in them as much as she can.We love that about her and we hope she continues to Wow us with the stories she creates.

5 stars from us

Be sure to check out the other stories in this series!

32 years young... born and raised in California, did a stint in Oregon only to return to the Golden State. Lived that life a while until the Lone Star State called to us, Hill Country, Texas is where we call home, where our boots rest and loving that country life. Living the life with one bearded power pole climbing husband, two little boys that are full of energy and drive us crazy plus a chocolate lab named Optimus Prime.

Be Sure to Follow Us here :

Genre: MC Romance
Release Date: September 25, 2017
Reviewed by: Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Kindle Edition

Imogen Caroline Stewart-Huntington hasn’t always been a rich bitch, her sunshine blotted out by her husband’s need to soar.

Sloane McKinley Huntington III hasn’t always been a Devil, but the brotherhood was his ride to the next best high—a vice he couldn’t shake, until he didn’t have a choice.

Now, three years sober, he sees with clear eyes. Free from the shackles of prison, all he wants is a second chance, his sights set on one woman—his wife.

Imogen knows that money can’t buy love—but when the rough man who stole her heart barges back into her life, she can’t help but question if perhaps forgiveness will.

We have found another amazing author who writes MC romance books to feed our addiction and we are loving her current series so far.

This story was one that was a bit of and emotional roller coaster for the characters as well as the readers.I have to say that this story effected my heart as I really felt the pain that Imogene/Gennie was experiencing and it broke my heart.This story dealt with a lot of issues that many marriages and families experience even today.

I really enjoyed the characters Soar/Sloan and Imogene/Gennie and they we easy to get to know and become attached to.I have to say that Soar was not a favorite of mine at the beginning of the story but, he slowly started redeeming himself throughout the story and we started to warm up to him bit by bit.

This couple marriage was a train wreck and had you thinking that there was no hope at all for them.I have to admit that I always secretly root for my characters to find everything they are looking for like love happiness and forgiveness and even revenge but, this is the first story that I was not rooting for a happy ending for this couple.

When the story was said and done I can say that I really enjoyed the story and all the emotional drama that the story wrought but, stories like this always put me on edge and a bit shaky at times especially when the story is about abuse and cheating I never know if I am going to end up loving it or hating it.When the abuse being dealt is more about punishing the one you love because you were never able to deal with your own messed up past is unforgivable.

This couple held a really big secret and I was really amazed that they got away with it as long as the did.I have to ask myself why they choose to live the way they did when they had advantages that most people will never have.I understood why Sloan would be drawn to club life but, I honestly never thought that Gennie would have stuck around as long as she did.Just proves when one loves fully with ones heart and your know in your heart that they are your soul mate it is not so easy to walk away .My  heat broke time and time again for Gennie and the things she suffered through to stay beside the man she loved.

I have to say that Gennie was my favorite character in this current tale.I love how she loved with ones whole heart, she was strong and determined and I loved how she was not easily broken.I admired her for wanting to change her life and move on .I will say that she surprised the heck out of me where she choose to run to .Did she think that her life was going to change for the better when all she would be surrounded by was coldness and betrayals?

Omg ! I am not a violent person but ,throughout the story and its beginning I secretly rooted for someone to beat some sense into this damn a** stupid biker.Did I understand his own feelings for his pain and suffering most definitely but ,how he choose to deal with his pain and suffering was a totally different story.

I was feeling no love for this character....

The story was filled with so much sorrow and past regrets healing, forgiveness also filled with a ton of emotion that it tugged at your heart strings, as well as drama , suspense ,romance  and alpha males along with strong women who were about forgiveness that I could not help but enjoy it.The major characters had sparks and major chemistry and when they were together they created fire together making this story a really hot read as well as an emotional one.

I loved  being on this journey of healing and forgiveness and how a couple that truly loved one another found their was back to one another and even after all the bumps in the road they kept striving for their happily ever after all over again.

Be Sure to Follow Us here :

review 2018-01-17 18:00
Everything you've ever wanted to know about your toaster (and your afternoon cup of tea) but so far never even thought to ask.
Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life - Helen Czerski

My high school physics teacher was a very nice gentleman who clearly loved his subject -- but who equally clearly lived in a very different world from that of us rowdy teenagers, and to whom it never even seemed to occur that his way of thinking might just be a tad too alien and abstract for most of us (or if it did occur to him, he didn't have the slightest clue how to bridge the gap).  It certainly also didn't help that he was teaching in what was to him a foreign language -- and that he had no clue how to police cheating: whatever method he came up with, we were always at least a step or two ahead of him.  (Which, back in the day, was virtually my only saving grace when it came to tests, though in the long run it of course didn't help at all.)  In short, he'd probably have made a stellar physics professor at university -- as a school teacher, however, he was entirely miscast.

Now, far be it from me to blame my own deficiencies on the deficiencies of my high school education: Though I've always loved biology (and been fascinated by the scientific / theoretical aspects of medicine), it's unlikely I would ever have chosen science as a career.  However, with the exception of optics, I've always struggled more to get a grip on physical concepts than on biological or chemical ones.  Even maths presented decidedly less of a challenge: I didn't particularly care for it, but it was never a subject apt to seriously endanger my grade point average.  That dubious honour always went to physics alone.  As a result, for the longest time and until I somewhat grudgingly decided to remedy that fact much later in life, my understanding of physics -- other than optics -- was essentially a "reflected" understanding, to the extent that the laws of physics were relevant to other subjects, such as biology and chemistry (e.g., in the composition and behaviour of cells and atoms).

Part of this, undoubtedly, was due to the fact that other areas (history, languages, music and literature) were far more of a focus of my early upbringing: Helen Czerski's afterword to Storm in a Teacup, where she recounts how both her family background and growing up in industrial Manchester helped shape and foster her interest in science and technology, spoke to me just because I can relate to precisely the opposite; notwithstanding the fact that both my grandmother and her twin sister studied medicine (they were among the earliest women to enroll in that field in Germany) and several of my aunts -- cousins of my mother -- are doctors as well.

But I also would wish my high school teacher had taken a similar approach as Czerski in Storm in a Teacup, because the first of several things she achieves (and the importance of which my teacher missed entirely) is to make her readers understand why physics matters to each of us and what it has to do with our daily lives, above and beyond the puny truisms that we've all heard of.  ("Yeah, I know that there's such a thing as gravity, but what does it really mean and why does it matter to me except for -- literally -- keeping my feet on the ground and making things fall down if they're not securely resting on something else?")  That doesn't mean, of course, that from suddenly gaining a basic understanding how your toaster works -- or why popcorn pops, why buttered toast almost always lands on the floor with the buttered side down, why ketchup initially stays in the bottle (and how to get it out of there without spilling half the contents all over your plate, the table, and your clothes), or from devining the secrets behind the innumerable mysteries associated with a cup of tea (with or without milk in it) -- it's only a small step towards a full understanding of astrophysics, nuclear physics, or even just "ordinary" university level physics.  But as Czerski doesn't tire to point out, the laws of physics apply to our daily life in the same way as they apply to the universe at large; and I'm pretty sure if my teacher way back when had understood how to get us to make a connection with our everyday world, and understand how physics matters to each of us in a million different ways every single day of our lives, many of us would have found it fascinating -- instead of writing it off as unbearably dull, unattainably abstract, and / or totally irrelevant to our lives and even our potential career paths.  As Czerski puts it:

"There is sometimes a bit of snobbery about the science found in kitchens and gardens and city streets.  It's seen as something to occupy children with, a trivial distraction which is important for the young, but of no real use to adults.  An adult might buy a book about how the universe works, and that's seen as being a proper adult topic.  But that attitude misses something very important: the same physics applies everywhere.  At toaster can teach you about some of the most fundamental laws of physics, and the benefit of a toaster is that you've probably got one, and you can see it working for yourself.  Physics is awesome precisely because the same patterns are universal: they exist both in the ktichen and in the furthest reaches of the universe.  The advantage of looking at the toaster first is that even if you never get to worry about the temperature of the universe, you still know why your toast is hot.  But once you're familiar with the pattern, you will recognize it in many other places, and some of those other places will be the most impressive achievements of human society.  Learning the science of the everyday is a direct route to the background knowledge about the world that every citizen needs in order to participate fully in society."

The laws controlling the spin of the Hubble Telescope's gyroscopes are the same that make a raw egg spin.  The laws that make popcorn explode and that help create focaccia bread are the same laws that control the Santa Ana winds in California, move a steam engine, propel rockets, and which any sea-bound mammal, such as a whale, needs to cope with when hunting hundreds of metres below the surface of the ocean.  Bubble baths form according the the same laws that are at play in the formation of a layer of cream on top of milk (and that are now used to get rid of that layer of cream in the process of homogenization), that make sponges and towels absorbent, that are used by every tree, from those in your back garden (if you have one) to the giant redwood in order to pull water up to its very top, and which modern medicine uses in order to be able to perform tests on the basis of a single drop of blood where a whole vial used to be necessary before.  The flow (or not) of ketchup out of a bottle and the sloshing of tea in a mug is dictated by the same laws that are at play in a lock gate and at the Hoover Dam ... etc., etc.

Czerski assumes virtually no understanding of the laws of physics (or anything related, such as mathematics) on the part of her readers going into each individual topic, and while that occasionally results in some talking down to the reader ("One nanometre really is tiny -- there are a million of them in one millimetre" ... thank you, Ma'am, I knew that much at least already!), most of the time she meets her readers at eye level -- and I really have to hand it to her; I'd never have thought there could be so much suspense associated with the details of heating popcorn, baking focaccia bread, or making a cup of tea.  And I just love her sense of humour:

"In 1964, Robert Wilson and Arno Penzias detected waves from the sky at microwave wavelengths that shouldn't have been there.  They spent a long time trying to work out which bit of the sky on their telescope was messing up the mesurement, sure that something was generating extra microwave light.  They also cleared out some nesting pigeons from the telescope, along with their droppings (euphemistically described as 'white dielectric material' in the paper they wrote).  The unwanted background light persisted.  It eventually turned out to be the signature of the Big Bang, some of the most ancient light in the universe.  There is something special about an experiment that has to be very careful to distinguish between the after-effects of pigeon poo and the after-effects of the formation of the universe."

There possibly won't be much in here that is news to a trained physicist, or an enthusiast of the subject matter, but I'll gladly take Elentarri's word that even a scientifically trained reader may find this book enjoyable.  For many of the rest of us (even those who were able benefit from a somewhat more enlightened physics instruction in school than me), this is in many respects eye-opening in the best of all ways, in addition to being an engaging and well-written read.

review 2018-01-16 19:29
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory - Caitlin Doughty,Caitlin Doughty,Recorded Books LLC

“A girl always remembers the first corpse she shaves.”

I sometimes think I’ve missed my life’s true calling. That of being a mortuary worker.  But after reading this book I’m not so sure. I always thought the idea of working with people who didn’t talk back was a nice one, you know?  No office politics, no grumpy personalities to tip-toe around, no one stealing your lunch and there’s never a lack of business. Sounds like bliss to me. Until I read this book which shattered those daydreams. There are some unsavory, heartbreaking and infuriating parts of the job that I never considered like . . .

Incinerating Babies

Gushing molten fat

Cheap ass relatives

Moving heavy bodies into the incinerator by yourself

Heads. Yep. Just the heads.

But then again, no job is perfect, right?

Caitlin Doughty captures her experiences while working at a mortuary and later going to school to make it official, with humor, insight and horror. I loved every captivating word. She has an extremely fanciful imagination and morbid wit that keeps you listening even when things get really dark or really disgusting and believe me they get disgusting!

She delves deep into the history of death rituals and how it all evolved into the system currently in place today.  She doesn’t pull any punches and explains how embalming, though once a necessity on the battlefield, has morphed into nothing more than a money maker for the death industry. Fascinating! I always wondered why bodies weren’t buried naturally and given back to the earth and now I know the reason and it’s pretty damn depressing.

Doughty narrates this audiobook and she does a fantastic job. She knows her material best, after all, and her voice is clear and pleasant to listen to. She adds humor in all the right spots and it never feels forced. She has a strong grasp on the toll that being surrounded by death brings on those who deal with it day in and day out. She and her co-workers look at the world a little differently than most folks.  I guess it’s hard not to when you face down death and deal with the aftermath every day. Death happens to everyone sooner or later and there’s no point living your life fearful of it coming for you. And it is coming for you!

“We are just future corpses.”

If you’re a morbid sort such as I, I highly recommend this book to you.