logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-20 08:52
Review: “Boystown 8: The Lies That Bind” (Boystown Mysteries, #8) by Marshall Thornton
Boystown 8: The Lies That Bind - Marshall Thornton

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-07-19 01:18
Maybe not so much with the candy canes and pine cones this time but...
Ravensong - T.J. Klune

THERE IS SO MUCH EPIC AND AWESOME...SO FREAKIN' MUCH!!!

If you asked me which book I liked more 'Wolfsong' or 'Ravensong' my very honest answer would be neither...I was equally blown away by them. I pondered this question long and hard and at the end of it all I knew beyond a certainty that sometimes there can be more than one.

'Ravensong' is Gordo's story and by proxy it's also Marks story because their lives are to entangled to ever separate. But whether you think of it as Gordo's story or Mark's or Gordo and Mark's which truly in many ways it's all 3 of these. What it isn't is a light fluffy romance. It's dark and gritty, it's about broken trust and betrayal, it's about rebuilding things that have shattered into a million pieces.

We met both Mark and Gordo in 'Wolfsong' and while I liked Gordo I couldn't help but also think that he was a bit of a dick at times and you know what, he was but the difference is I now know why and I honestly can't blame him for how he's behaved...he's got his reasons trust me, he's got plenty of reasons.

The other thing that I learned from this book is that the Bennett pack is unlike any pack that's ever been and their spirit is indomitable. Wolves or humans they are all a force to be reckoned with.

I really, really wanted to make this one last as much as I wanted to devour it...so I decided I was only going to read it for an hour at night when I went to bed...yep, that's right just one hour...and just one more hour...and just...you see where things went here right?

While Gordo and Mark were the major focus for this story, make no mistake there is more so much more happening...there's a war coming one that started brewing in 'Wolfsong' forces are aligning, sides are being chosen, events are transpiring some we may see coming but others I have no doubt that will blindside us all.

As many of TJ Klune's books as I've read and there have been a few...I've read all of Bear, Otter and the Kid, How To Be A Normal Person, Immemorial Years, Into This River I Drown, etc. etc. ok, I've pretty much read them all or listened to the audio or done both and I've loved every word of every story but this series is the only one that takes me out of myself, with both of these stories as soon as I tune into the story I tune out of everything that's around me and while I can't say this has never happened for me with a story those times are far and few between that an author writes a story that has captivated me so strongly.

I can honestly say I've only got one...well actually 2 issues here...the first one being...where's the audio book? I need this like water and of course even more important and I'm sure there are those who agree with me...where the hell is the next book? Shouldn't we have had that one last week? Seriously TJ...why you be torturing us like this?

Ok, seriously this book this series it's AMAZING!!! And you all need to read it if you haven't already...I'm not a big fan of shifter books but I am such an over the moon fan of 'Green Creek' and yes, I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this book and how much I'm looking forward to whatever comes next...but honestly I think you've figured that out by now...EPIC AND AWESOME!!! It's all here.

*************************

An ARC of 'Ravensong' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-18 11:49
Review: “Boystown 7: Bloodlines” (Boystown Mysteries, #7) by Marshall Thornton
Boystown 7: Bloodlines - Marshall Thornton

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-07-17 15:26
It seems that my Canadianism is showing again, because...
Lost in Indigo - V.L. Locey

right off the setting for this one had me wanting to read it…you guessed it…CANADA!!! And to boot one of the most beautiful places in Canada the Thousand Islands located on the St. Lawrence River.

So we’re off to a lovely start with this setting and then I got to meet Indigo…I loved Indigo for so very many reasons. I loved that he was unapologetically who he was. Indigo refers to himself as ‘genderflux’ and rather than take a bunch of space up here in my review explaining this I’m going to suggest that you do as I did and go ask google. I admit I had a general idea of what this term was but being curious I wanted to know why ‘genderflux’ wasn’t quite ‘genderfluid’.

So back to Indigo who is a young, gay man who also identifies as ‘genderflux’ and well…he’s just special. He’s one of those people who has that something extra special and knowing him makes a person’s life that little bit better and while he’s confident, he’s not conceited or arrogant. Indigo’s come to ‘Bere’s Den’ for the summer to earn money for school, he’s a botany major, taking care of the grounds and helping out with Mathieu Beresford’s care.

Following some pretty serious surgery on his leg after being taken down during a game in the play-offs that resulted in a broken leg…a very complicated broken leg. Mathieu’s the captain of the ‘Buffalo Surge’ and at 38 years old he’s had a solid and successful hockey career and all he really needs to make it perfect is a Stanley Cup win to his name…sadly his team goes on to achieve this while Mat’s in a hospital bed.

As Mat and Indigo spend time together and get to know each other Mat begins to question his life and the choices that have led to him being so deep in the closet that finding the door is more akin to trying to follow a maze without a map.

Along with the MCs we were given an interesting cast of supporting characters from Mat’s friend and beard, Fran. I loved Fran, she was confident and outspoken the kind of friend everyone needs…she gave Mat the truth rather than what he wanted to hear when he sought out her counsel. I also liked Indigo’s father who was Mat’s caretaker as well as his friend and then there was Mat’s agent Arn…while he wasn’t perfect, he was Mat’s friend and what came out of his mouth wasn’t always the right thing to say it was truly never said with malice but with Mat’s best interest at heart…albeit misguided at times, but still he wasn’t a bad person by any means. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the owner of the ‘Buffalo Surge’ that man was a bag ‘o’ dicks! and last but not least there was Mat’s nurse. Sorry I honestly can’t remember her name and can’t be bothered to look it up but she was definitely an interesting character. Even though I felt sorry for her, this didn’t stop me from disliking her immensely as well.

There was so much about this story that I enjoyed and top of the list is the dynamics between Indigo and Mat. While Indigo is the younger partner in this May/December romance. He’s also in many ways the person who truly knows himself the best. He knows who he is and what he wants and most importantly of all he knows that as much as he loves Mat, he needs to love himself as well. Mat knows that he loves Indigo and that what they have is something special. What he doesn’t know is if he can be the man that Indigo deserves but he really wants to try.

This wasn’t necessarily a perfect representation of how the sports world is…specifically the world of professional hockey, I liked that this story gave a more realistic representation of the challenges that a gay man would face as a professional hockey player. For Mat being out and a professional hockey player was never really an option, so his world was about choices…out and proud, personal happiness or professional success, hockey or Indigo…maybe, one day these won’t be choices that a person has to make. But for Mat that day hasn’t arrived.

This wasn’t just a story about falling in love, for Mat it was also a story about finding yourself and being true to who you are, I admit that while I loved Indigo from the start it took me a while to warm up to the character of Mat. Not that he didn’t evoke any emotion in me…nope, I can honestly say that Mat made me angry, annoyed and frustrated on more than one occasion because amongst other things he sometimes felt like the king of the pity party, but he also had me cheering for him and smiling as he traveled his own path of self awareness and personal growth.

‘Lost in Indigo’ is the first book in V. L. Locey’s new series ‘Colors of Love’ and it’s definitely a strong enough start to have me wanting to see what comes next…and maybe I read the blurb at the end of this one but either way sign me up for the journey.

************************

A copy of ‘Lost in Indigo’ was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-17 15:10
Sadly...‘Tainted Life’ was another case of the premise didn’t deliver for me...
Tainted Life - Jim Gough

This is a romantic/thriller and I love them so of course I was going to check this out…this is my jam!

Related image

Pete Tucker works for the Metropolitan Police and things have gone from on track to off the rails for him. His wife’s suing him for a divorce and she’s seeking sole custody of their son…the light of Pete’s life. After a long hard day of moving into his new home and desperate to escape the disaster his life has quickly become Pete heads into a Soho bar where he meets Liam Jackson. Liam’s sexy, funny and captures Pete’s interest from the start.

Liam’s a photographer whose life has been off the rails for a while now. Photographer by day and in an effort to make ends meet rent boy at night when Liam sees Pete it’s not really about the money for him. He likes Pete and wants to spend time with him, get to know him.

Unfortunately, the real-world creeps in and Liam’s secrets catch up with him putting him in more danger than he’s possibly conceived of. Pete knows he should distance himself from Liam…he’s got enough issues of his own to deal with but whatever the reason he just can’t bring himself to abandon Liam when the sweet, sexy man so obviously needs his help and protection.

So once again it’s a case of focus…for me the focus of this story should have been the relationship between Pete and Liam and in a way it was but with less than 150 pages in the book (196 on my computer) and in some ways it was but from approximately the 39% point in this book until the 75% point, Liam was in the hospital and while that may not seem like a lot when the story’s less than 200 pages it is a considerable chunk of the story, especially when you factor in that the rest of the book also contains all the little bits and pieces that help to flesh out a story and give it depth and to a point even with Liam in the hospital the relationship between Pete and Liam progressed and it was sweet in a lot of ways but at times it was also painfully slow and try as I might and I did try I just didn’t feel the connection between the two men.

I think for whatever reason this one just wasn’t working for me and while I really liked Liam, Pete just didn’t work as well for me and I was at times both frustrated and annoyed with him alternating with moments of genuinely liking him…Pete was a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride for me.

I’ve been letting this one ferment in my brain for a few days and truthfully, I think if there’d been a bit more story after Liam got out of the hospital it might have gone better for me but whatever the reasons this one fell short of the mark for me and while the blurb sounded really good the story ended up just being ok…maybe, next time around things will go better.

Related image

*************************

An ARC of ‘Tainted Life’ was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.