logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-09-21 18:05
Reading progress update: I've read 11%.
Devils Unto Dust - Emma Berquist

Reads a bit like Dread Nation so I am not sure yet how I feel about it. It's kind of weird that there would be two books so close in content but also different.

It's set after the war against the states, has some sickness creating people they called Shakes. So I think I might use this for Zombies if the shakes seem to be like I think they are if not it will be my free space.

Not far enough in to know if I am liking it or not, I think it might start picking up after Will has to go find her father. I have a friend who read it and really liked it so I hope I do. :)

review 2017-09-21 16:00
Being human sucks....
Vanek (Demons After Dark Book One) - Laurie Olerich

I enjoyed this story. The levels of demons and angels along with the "human" behavior in exiling for some devious plan made it a good read. As Dylan tries to change her future, she ends up asking for help from Vanek and his fellow demons. Together, their chemistry is off the charts. Her strength and his total honesty kept me turning the pages. I look forward to the next in this story as they try to get to the bottom of the nefarious plot.

This is a Candid Book Reviews selection, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2017-09-21 15:22

September 9th 2017
eBook
192
ARC Review Copy

Despised by his tiger shifter pride as an abomination, Grey has ventured far from home, deep into the bowels of Hell in search of answers about the machinations of Archangel, the mortal hunter organisation who held his twin captive. With no knowledge of the realm, and little skill with the local languages, he quickly finds himself at a dead end—until he crosses paths with a beautiful hellcat female who rouses his darkest most dangerous instincts.

Lyra has been a fool, falling for the charms of a male whose only desire was to make a fast buck by selling her. Shackled and collared, her strength muted by magic, she awaits her time on the stage at a black-market auction, but before it can come, all hell breaks loose and she seizes a chance to escape—and runs straight into a majestic warrior who steals her breath away and tempts her like no other as he battles alone to free everyone.

When Lyra offers her services as a translator to repay Grey for saving her, will he be strong enough to resist the needs she awakens in him and spare himself the pain of her inevitable rejection when she discovers the truth about him? And when the powerful male in charge of the slave ring starts a bloody hunt for Lyra, can she escape another collar and find the courage to trust the tiger who is capturing her heart?

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

iBooks

GooglePlay

Another magnificent addition to the Eternal Mates series. Treasured by a Tiger was a brilliant way to wrap-up the the sibling tigers HEA’s.

We are taking back to HELL where answers and more questions arise on what Archangel is up to, we meet some old and new characters, and Grey finds more then he expected to on his adventure.

I wasn’t much of a fan of the Hellcat’s when they popped up in Bitten by a Hellcat, but I found myself liking Lyra, our feisty Hellcat lead. Grey, our humble hero I was already in love with him the my moment he was introduced in Turned by a Tiger.

The story flowed nicely. I love the wide verity of paranormal creatures and I really loved finding out more of what Archangel is up to. Their are still questions, but we get a little more. Besides Archangel the author also throws in an old foe and wraps that little loose thread up. I like the little hits and answers we get throughout the story. They keep things going, besides the sexy romance.

Lyra and Grey’s romance was wonderful. I just loved watching these two together. Lyra is afraid of males and that is expected after the betrayal, but she finds the strength to see past that and open up to Grey. Grey, OMG he was fabulous. He doesn’t want to hurt Lyra and fights his instincts along the way as well as he doesn’t feel worthy of any female, but WOW when he shows Lyra what he is, she does what any fated mate would do and tells him how AMAZING and WONDERFUL he is. I had tears in my eyes.

Treasured by a Tiger gives us action, steamy romance, and an exciting story. As this story ends another will come. The author has created a captivating world, where their is no shortage of excited and interesting characters, plus clues and mischief thrown in to keep you coming back for more.

Rated: 4.5 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Felicity Heaton with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (PNR) |  New Release (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/09/arc-review-treasured-by-a-tiger-eternal-mates-14-by-felicity-heaton
text 2017-09-21 07:10
BookBaby prez says thousands want to review your book free - then suggest three that would cost $394

Steven Spatz is an author, marketer, and the President of BookBaby. He writes the bookbaby Blog at http://blog.bookbaby.com/

It's a thinly veiled promotional blog that encourages self-published authors to use the services of BookBaby to prepare and publish their manuscripts. I compare it to the weekly newsletter I get from a local realtor where despite rising interest rates, falling house prices and any other economic calamity that might be happening "it's always a good time to buy or sell property".

Here's my response to his most recent blog entitle "Book Reviews: The Ultimate Word Of Mouth Promotion".

Hi Steven,
Let's crunch some numbers shall we. You shouldn't mind because they're ones you provided.

You write in your recent BookBaby blog that book reviews are critical to promoting my book. I agree. You write " "There are literally thousands of book reviewers and bloggers online, and most of them review books even though they aren’t paid."

I'd be doing a little more research before making a statement like that if I were you. I'll bet you'll find the majority of these bloggers and reviewers though online aren't active.

After making this unqualified claim about thousands of bloggers and reviewers who want to review my work at no charge you then "recommend the following sites:

Midwest Book Review that charges $50 a review;
The Indie Reader at $255 a review: and,
The Self-Publishing Review at $119 a review.

If I was to "purchase" one review from each site it would cost a total of $394.

What happened to the thousands of unpaid book reviewers and bloggers? Why didn't you list a few of them?

You can purchase an e-book of mine from Amazon for $3.99 of which I get 35% royalty or $1.35. I'd need to sell about 291 books to pay for these three reviews.

And what if they're bad reviews?

According to your 2017 Self-Publishing Survey

of the 4300 authors who took part only 5%, or about 215 authors, made $5000 a year from their writing. The other category you draw comparisons from which is obviously significantly larger, is the one you call lower earning authors who earn less than $100 a year from their writing.

The inherent conflict of interest of "paid for reviews" aside, how in good conscience can you recommend to the majority of indie authors, making less than $100 a year from their writing as indicated by your own research, that they spend that kind of money on reviews?

So which is it, Steven? Are either totally out of touch with your own research and our plight, or part of the pack who prey on naive and delusional new indie authors who are prepared to throw money away chasing that elusive dream?

review 2017-09-19 15:18
ARC Review: The Hunt (Devil’s Isle #3) by Chloe Neill (Tour) ~ Giveaway
The Hunt - Chloe Neill
The Hunt

Devil’s Isle #3

by Chloe Neill

September 26, 2017

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels—the hunter becomes the hunted in a New Orleans devastated by a Paranormal war….

When bounty hunter Liam Quinn discovered that Claire Connolly was a Sensitive and infected with magic, he should have turned her in to be locked up in the prison district known as Devil’s Isle. Instead, he helped her learn to control her power and introduced her to an underground group of Paranormals and humans who know the truth about the war and those who fought it.

Now the weight of Liam’s own secrets has forced him into hiding. When a government agent is killed and Claire discovers that Liam is the prime suspect, she races to find him before the government can. But she’ll discover proving his innocence is no simple matter. Their enemies are drawing closer, and time is running out….

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iBooks | Indiebound | Powell’s | Books-A-Million

Read the first chapter now!

This series needs to be read in order.

The Hunt starts off 5 weeks from where The Sight ends. The tension is ramped up several notches in this installment. It’s filled with action, heartache, betrayal, fear, friendship, and death.

Claire spends a lot of time in an emotional turmoil over Liam, secrets that she is finding out about her family, and what she can do to change the world for the better for those paranormals in it. When Liam comes back in the picture the tension between him and Claire is heightened. His stubbornness and issues with the magical abilities he has now add to their relationship troubles.

The start was a bit slow in the beginning for me and I had some trouble getting into the story. I was surprised by a few events or revelations that popped up in the story. I was also not expecting things to go that path. The ending was a little unexpected and had me wondering what now.

My only issues is Claire, Liam, and others are fugitives. They are on the run and trying not to get caught by the government. Well they sure do get around way to easily. They move from one place to another without running into conflict, trouble, etc. Just to easily for them to move around especially when the government wants to capture them.

All and all The Hunt was an enjoyable read.

Rated: 3 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Berkley via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (UF) | New Release (2017)

The Veil (Devil’s Isle, #1)

My Review

The Sight (Devil’s Isle, #2)

My Review

Chloe Neill is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Devil’s Isle, Chicagoland Vampires, and Dark Elite series. She was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest.  When not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys–her favorite landscape photographer/husband and their dogs, Baxter and Scout. (Both she and the photographer understand the dogs are in charge.)

Chloe is represented by Lucienne Diver of The Knight Agency. Chloe is a member of the Romance Writers of America.

Angel’s Guilty Pleasures has a swag pack from Chloe Neill up for grabs to one USA Only winner. Fill out the rafflecopter to enter!

The packet will include:

• Devil’s Isle tote bag
  • Devil’s Isle sticker sheet, coaster, and bookplate
  • Chloe Neill pen and “Brainstorms” notebook
  • Signed Chloe Neill book
  • Bookmarks

a Rafflecopter giveaway

The fun doesn’t stop here. Want more chances to win? You can also enter THE HUNT Grand Prize Giveaway, which runs September 18 through September 29 on Chloe’s Website.

What is the Grand Prize Giveaway prize?

Week One

Wednesday, September 27 – Goldilox and the Three Weres
Thursday, September 28 – Parajunkee | Desert Divas Book Addiction
Friday, September 29 – YA Reads

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/09/arc-review-the-hunt-devils-isle-3-by-chloe-neill-tour-giveaway