With the growing demand for translation services, a number of translation tools and apps were developed. Now, translators have so many options of tools and apps to make their task easier. In fact, expert translators do not recommend using machine tool to do the translation. It is certainly true, since machine does not have ’feeling’ as owned by human being. Translating a text involves not only the linguistic rules but also the feeling and sense.
Reasons for Using Translation Tools
However, there are certain circumstances, in which tools can make your tasks easier. Therefore, you can save more time for doing the real job. The online translation tools may not replace the overall process of translation. Instead, they can do some simple and repetitive jobs. Meanwhile, you focus on jobs that cannot be outsourced. The following are some examples of situation, in which tools may help you:
- Translating complicated sentences that require you to look up every word in the dictionary. Looking up the terms in the dictionary may take time. Therefore, you can use translation tools to save time.
- Translating idioms and unusual terms.
- Translating texts that contain foreign terms. For instance, you may find a French term when translating a text from English.
- Translating texts for which you just need to make a summary or extract. You can use a machine tool to translate the raw text and then make a summary.
- When you do not have a dictionary while doing the translation. This is particularly true for freelance translators working for a translation agency. You cannot carry the dictionary anywhere. The tools can replace the dictionary while you are mobile.
As mentioned above, you cannot expect accurate translation with machine tools. However, they can make your tasks easier and cut the time otherwise used to look up the dictionary.
Tips for Using Translation Tools
There are so many options of translation tools out there. Some are available as free translation tools. However, you may need a paid tool or app for advanced features and functions. To ensure quality of the translation process, the following tips may help you:
- Make sure to edit the translated version of the text. Pay special attention to the grammatical rules, use of singular-plural words, tenses and technical terms that may not need to be translated literally.
- Proofread the translated text. The translation tools can miss some words. Therefore, make sure that all words have been translated in an accurate way.
- Choose translation tools based on your needs. For raw translation process, free tools like Google Translate, Bing Translator, or Bing Translator are helpful enough.
Furthermore, a number of apps are available to help you with trivial works. Some of the tasks are preparing invoices for translation jobs, translating repetitive texts, posting social media marketing for your services and many more. These tools do not translate texts. Instead, cut the time you need to do the small jobs.
In translation, time management is very crucial. The more translation jobs you do, the more income you earn. Again, translation tools make your tasks easier and help manage your time. They do not translate the texts for you.