Well, I love me a good suspense, thriller, romance filled story. This book had it all!
The overall premise of the story seemed intriguing and had me interested. Once I started reading the story, I was absolutely blown away. The story was incredible. It was full of twists and turns and was chilling at times. It had a sweet little romance side of the story as well. It was a well rounded, well written, incredible read.
Details and descriptions were impeccable. They made it easy to hold my attention and made it easy to not put the story down – I read it in one sitting. The characters were really well developed and had great chemistry. Their relationships with each other and others were fun at times, serious at others, and were attention grabbers.
I really, really enjoyed this story. It really made me sit straighter at times, made me gasp, made me think, and kept me guessing. This was an incredible read and one I would definitely recommend reading.
* A copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion.
COME SUNDOWN by Nora Roberts
The only other Nora Roberts (J D Robb) book I have read is her dystopian YEAR ONE. This is a stand-alone thriller.
The Bodine Ranch and Resort are both run by a close knit family. Bodine Longbow, the eldest daughter is the focus of the book and the COO of the family enterprise. She is clearly drawn and multidimensional as is Callen Skinner, a new hire and old acquaintance. Alice, Bodine’s aunt, who has been missing for years is an integral part of the plot as is Sundown, a highly trained and intelligent horse.
When young women start disappearing and then are found murdered in the close vicinity of the ranch, the plot becomes apparent. There are plenty of red herrings, plot twists, love interests and Ranch/Resort complications to keep the reader interested in this 450 page novel. Roberts is a master of the thriller/love story genre and it shows in this outing.
5 of 5 stars for a convincing thriller with likeable characters, interesting locale and pleasing secondary plots.
Holy cow...I really enjoyed this. It was a total departure from what I'm used to from Nora Roberts (the In Death books included), but yet still felt like a Nora Roberts book.
When the world is hit with a fast acting virus, nearly 80% of the world's population is eradicated. The other 20% are immune. Those who are left have to pick up the pieces and begin again. Among those survivors are those who have magical abilities, the Uncanny. The story follows several groups of survivors--magical and non magical--who eventually manage to merge into one group.
The book is engrossing, fast paced, and despite having a rather large cast of characters, manages to give each one enough page time that you (or me at least) can't help but care and root for them.
I will caution, though, don't get too attached. Characters do die in this one.
I borrowed this from the library, but will be getting my own copy to have for my home library.