logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Group Read: Northanger Abbey
created by: Murder by Death
back to group
Degrees of Affection and Murder by Death are doing a group read of Northanger Abbey and would love anyone interested in participating to join us. (Also just a place to talk about your thoughts on the book.)

(No Spoilers please!)
Thanks for doing this! You caught me at the perfect time and I'm picking up NA now.
I loved this part: "Under these unpromising auspices, the parting took place and the journey began. It was preformed with suitable quietness and uneventful safety. Neither robbers nor tempest befriended them, nor one lucky overturn to introduce them to the hero."

It's not just Gothic romances where you find a few of these; this reminds me a bit of Howl's Moving Castle where being the second or third born daughter gets the magic and adventure while the first born daughter can only expect boring normalcy. Just as Austen is lampooning Gothic romance tropes, Diane Wynne Jones lampoons fantasy tropes.
I had read that Jane Austen satirised and lampooned Gothic romance tropes, but I was unprepared for how blatant it was. I had just finished the description of Catherine's parting for Bath, when I mentioned to DH how much of a lampoon this book was so far; it's not at all subtle.

I am also surprised at how present Jane Austen herself is in the novel; it feels obvious to me that she's the narrator and I found the tangent she went off on in support and defense of the novelist quite interesting.
Reply to post #4 (show post):

I agree, subtle it is not. Still, while I may not love Catherine, neither do I dislike her. She is growing on me and I hope that continues. And yes, she is clearly the narrator.

Catherine's discussion with Tilney about women's letter writing was interesting as well. And the fact that he seemed to know so much about muslin.

And with that, I'm off to sleep. When I nod off over Jane Austen, it's time to give into the inevitable. Can't wait to see what you think in a few hours. :-)
I'd really like to pluck all the Mr. Thorpe parts out of the book and create a second book out of them just so I can throw it against the wall and stomp on it repeatedly. What an ass!!! Gah!

Jane Austen is a complete genius at creating villains that don't actually do anything villainous, but inspire hatred from the reader just the same. Mr. Thorpe isn't evil, or nasty or hateful; just vacuous, selfish, and vain - and I desperately want to beat him about the head with a stick!

(I stopped and went to bed last night just after Mr. Thorpe tried to cancel Catherine's walk with the Tilney's and she went to their house to undo the damage.)
Reply to post #6 (show post):

I do believe I've found a new Austen villain I like even less the Wickham. Should I be worried that I desperately wish he'd wreak his carriage and break his neck?!

I don't know that I'd entirely agree with you that he's not evil. He is clearly trying to manipulate Catherine, with his sister's help, taking advantage of her. Whether for his own amusement, to injure her reputation (though he's doing a good job of that currently), or to snatch her up as his wife...I am currently unsure. And I think both of them (sister and brother) could easily get nasty if they wanted to.

Right now, the Tilneys minus the Captain, are about to whisk Cathrine away to Northanger Abbey.

The discussion of novels has been very interesting in this book. While satirizing them, Austen is also making it clear there is no reason not to read novels. The argument against novels in an early chapter reminds me of arguments I've heard for why I should not read YA novels.
I don't disagree with you about the evil part - I'm just not sure it isn't because he's selfish (and stupid) as opposed to sociapathic. His sister, on the other hand...she feels exactly like Lucy Steele in S&S to me. She likes to play and manipulate people for not only her own ends, but the sheer enjoyment of it.

I'm getting ready to pick it back up for the evening so I'll post another update when I've caught up with you. :)
Reply to post #8 (show post):

Yes, she is remarkably like Lucy Steele, who may be the only fiction character (the only "person" truthfully) I would have a cat fight with. I seriously loath Fanny and I cheer every time she gives her what for in the movie!

Yes, a lot of it is because he's selfish; so is his sister.

I've finished at Chapter 21. Can't wait to see what you think!
So, I might have stayed up WAY past my normal bed time to finish last night. :)

When Catherine is invited to Northanger Abbey, and right after her arrival there I had a moment where I thought the General was courting her himself. He was just that little too much solicitous and eager to please her.

The scene in her bedroom at the Abbey had me unsure whether to laugh or roll my eyes, but I admit it was excellently written for atmosphere. She nailed gothic, even while poking fun at it.

How it is possible that I couldn't wait to get back to this book, that I didn't want to put it down, but at the same time didn't really like either Catherine or Henry?
Reply to post #10 (show post):

I'll agree, the General is weirding me out a bit. I'm hoping there is an explanation coming.

I'll try to finish this tonight as well. This afternoon/evening was full of errand running and I've only been working on this for about an hour or so.

Can't wait to see what you think and I'll touch back when I'm done!
ARGH! The too stupid to live moments! They're lethal.

I think this May be the first Austen main character (with the possible exception of a couple moments in S&S) I've ever want to slap!
Done! And by and large, I think I agree with you. The setting and what Austen is trying to do seems to overwhelm Catherine and Henry; I just feel we don't get to know them well. But I couldn't wait to find out what happened next! Sorry I've been constantly playing catch up! I'll try to post my review tomorrow. Right now, I'm for bed!
Don't be sorry! Today was the same way for me - dr. appt./phone calls/errands... I haven't even had a chance to catch my breath. I'm looking forward to reading your review!
Need help?