logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Comic Fantasy
back to group
Have you a comic fantasy that you would like to share? If it also fits any of the other categories listed, feel free to list there as well but please--no more than two listing for the same work!
Comic fantasy is a hard genre to pull off, and few, other than The Princess Bride or Robert Aspirin's books do it consistently well (or, to push the date of 'fantasy' very far back, I think one of the best was 1765's Gothic novel, the Castle of Otranto, which mixes fantasy with moments of utter comic absurdity).

My novel, "The Count of the Living Death" (mentioned in the Giveaways discussion) I consider to be a comic fantasy, in that the narrator (and at least one of the characters) isn't exactly sure that these characters are destined for fame and glory. The main character, Hildigrim Blackbeard, is an over-the-hill sorcerer who lets his ambition get the best of his ability. He's too proud to admit that he doesn't always exactly know what he's doing, though when the inevitable occurs and he has to face the music, he's very ready to point fingers elsewhere. Though on first squint the novel is a traditional fantasy work of magic, curses, changing identities, and doomed romance, the narrator attempts to poke fun at the proceedings now and again, as if to remind us,"oh, this happens in all these books...don't take it too seriously." I don't want to give too much away, but there are moments of absurdity that I feel do justice to The Castle of Otranto...or, in a few places, even Monty Python.

You can find the book as a Giveaway for another few weeks, or you can buy it at Amazon for only 99 cents. Though you might not laugh out loud from page 1 to page 230-something, there are laughs in some most unexpected places. Hope some of you check it out!
Hello! I'm just trying this site out on a friend's recommendation, and I do have a book to shamelessly self-promote, that I find somewhat humorous. Has any etiquette developed here that I should be aware of?

Thank you.
Reply to post #3 (show post):

Hi. You're good to go! Feel free to post information about the work. It is requested, however, that you not post the same work in more than two of the discussion folders dedicated for this purpose. Thank you!
Need help?