logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: 16 Tasks of the Festive Season: The Rules -- and Questions About the Rules
back to group back to club
I'm breezing through a bunch of Tessa Dare books... or at least I plan to, and was wondering if the books in her Spindle Cove series would fit for either of these squares, based on the setting:

Book themes for Bon Om Touk: Read a book that takes place on the sea, near the sea, or on a lake or a river, or read a book that has water on the cover.

Book themes for St. Martin’s Day: Read a book set on a vineyard, or in a rural setting, –OR– a story where the MC searches for/gets a new job. –OR– A book with a lantern on the cover, or books set before the age of electricity. –OR– A story dealing with an act of selfless generosity (like St. Martin sharing his cloak with a beggar).

I'm mainly looking at the near the sea option for Bon Om Touk book themes, and the rural setting or set before the age of electricity options for St. Martin's Day. Spindle Cove is set in a small town near the sea, though the sea isn't really that significant in the particular books I just finished; and I'm sure it can be considered rural as well as pre-electrical age; the answers feel like they're probably pretty obvious, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks!
Reply to post #91 (show post):

"Spindle Cove" sounds like it's a place right on the shore? That would qualify. (Also, if so, I'm sure some of the books have water on the cover?)

When do the stories take place -- in the 19th century?
Reply to post #92 (show post):

No, no water on the covers of any of the books in the Spindle Cover series, unfortunately. They are historical romances, that I think take place during the Regency era.
Reply to post #92 (show post):

The setting is a small seaside town, so my question about it being near the sea was kind of moot, actually... O.o
Reply to post #94 (show post):

Regency novels set in a small seaside town? Oh, sure ... hits all the (various) marks! :D
Reply to post #95 (show post):

I thought so, but was drawing a blank on whether they fit or not. Ugh, it's been a long week...

But yay! Thanks!
FYI, all: I asked MbD for a judgement call on whether a book set in the Southern Hemisphere and (in part) on Summer Solstice can count for a holiday joker to be used for Square 9, Winter Solstice -- because as we're saying in the description of the square, Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere occurs on the same day as Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. My feeling was it should count, but since it's a book I'm currently listening to, I didn't want to make the decision myself. MbD agreed, so:

Any book set in part on Summer Solstice and set in the Southern Hemisphere can be used as a holiday joker for Square 9, Winter Solstice.
Couple of quick questions:

For the Festivus task in which you perform the airing of the grievances, does it have to be five books? What if I have less than that?

For the St. Martin's Day book task in which you read a book set before the age of electricity. That mean books set before the turn of the 20th century, yes?
Reply to post #98 (show post):

If there were less than 5 books you disliked this year, then it's less than 5 books!

Will get back to you separately on your other question; I'd just like to make sure MbD and I have the same understanding on where exactly to draw the line here.
Reply to post #99 (show post):

Thanks, Themis!
OK, here's the deal on "the Age of Electricity": There are quite a few inventions that can legitimately be considered to have brought about the turning of a new leaf -- many, though not all of them occurring towards the end of the 19th century.

Two particularly significant developments were Edison's inventions and the (simultaneous) switch from gas light to electrical street lamps in major cities across Europe and the U.S. in the late 1870s and 1880s; both of these signalled huge leaps in making electricity widely available in daily use.

So this is where we'd therefore set the line: Anything before the late 1870s and 1880s counts as "before the Age of Electricity."
Reply to post #101 (show post):

Thanks for the clarification!
Need help?