logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: What's Your Problem?
created by: willaful
back to group
What particular kind of hoarding is the hardest for you? Share and ask for help.
My TBR has always been my worst issue. I do also work on culling my keepers. Ebooks have helped in this area a lot, though sometimes I love a book so much I can't bear to lose it even when I have it digitally.

I've made such strides with my print TBR that it really no longer bothers me, though I still work on it in the hopes of creating more space in my office. My ebook TBR continues to be a nagging issue.
I'm with you. My tbr pile is my biggest problem. I'm working on it but I've collected so many over the years that it's overwhelming. I'm going to attempt to fill one large grocery bag a week with unwanteds from the shelf and then I'll begin to tackle the bins. Oh the bins. They are my biggest shame!

My other problem is beauty products. I tend to collect pretty shades of polish and blushes and have pawned off so many on my daughter that now she's beginning to look like a hoarder. Everything else I can easily let go.
I've gotten a handle on beauty products by writing dates on them and tossing out at certain intervals. I used to be terrible where I'd be trying to thin out dried up nail polish to use because it was a favorite shade. I've learned to immediately gift or throw out the freebies you get with purchase that I know I won't use (but I used to hoard those for way too long even though not using—because, hey, I got a gift valued at $175 free with purchase and who tosses out $175 worth of brand new stuff?).

I have big book hoarding issues still.

And for some reason spices and seasonings (yes, when doing a very harsh decluttering of spice cabinets I did have the old McCormick tins years expired). I incentivized myself to decluttering because a new spice and herb shop opened up here and a few purchases of fresher containers really showed a taste difference. I handle like beauty products by putting throw out dates on them. And by limiting them to x cabinets on y shelves with a handful in frig and freezer. Before moving in new containers, something has to get tossed. If a recipe calls for something weird I'll only use once or twice a year, buy the tiniest container possible and then toss it after the recipe made.
Oh, I used to hoard office supplies, not realizing they'd always dry up and become useless. :-(
Me, too! Dry up plus paper supplies get humidity damaged or dried up where they cause paper jams in copiers and printers or degraded print quality. I would carefully stock up when a favorite box of ink ones would go on sale then years later try to use a new one — dried up.

I need to go through office supplies and clean out still yet again (I do every March-April as a way to procrastinate taxes). But I have gotten better where potentially non-durable office supplies are less than one year old (staplers and such that won't spoil don't count unless you hoard a few dozen and I never got quite that bad).

I even need to replace extra staples because they corrode after time and break or jam when used. There's a hard balance between stocking up on a budget and hoarding.
Need help?