A lot of people share the same fear of needles. Perhaps you remember with dread when you had to take your shots as a child, and that has imprinted on your mind as a stressful experience. It is normal to be afraid of needles since these are most often associated with illness, hospitals and pain.
However, there is one medical practice, which involves needles that you should not be afraid of – acupuncture. Despite the wide spectrum of needle fears, you should not feel any worry when it comes to acupuncture, as this traditional Chinese medical practice is in fact geared towards your full relaxation. Following are 5 reasons you should not be afraid of needles and get acupuncture:
- Acupuncture needles aren’t like the ones you know – as it was already mentioned, it is completely normal to fear needles, or at least dislike them. Everyone is conditioned this way, since people associate the word with pain from dentists, IV systems, blood draw, etc. However, what you have to understand is that acupuncture needles are nothing like medical ones. The former type of needles are hair-thin and literally bend to the touch. They represent the lightest form of needling you can imagine. It is nothing like getting a shot for example, where you can actually feel some pain from the procedure. Knowing this is essential when you think about acupuncture and fear of needles.
- Acupuncture is ok for children – if you are still worried about needling during acupuncture, consider the fact that children are ok with it. According to experts, it is more of a tingling sensation, rather than a puncture. Acupuncture for children is a real thing, and it goes to show just how safe the procedure is.
- Don’t think of acupuncture needles that way – a lot of times changing the terminology is enough to shift your beliefs and fears around. Assuaging the fear of needles can be as simple as not calling acupuncture tools needles. A lot of acupuncturists know this, and that is why they refer to the needles as ‘pins’. Sticking pins sounds a lot less threatening than inserting needles, does it not?
- It is not all about the needles – there are various types of acupuncture treatment, and they don’t even have to feature needles. Acupressure, moxibustion, cupping, herbs and ear seeds are just a few of the techniques that use, and none of them features needles.
- You have full control – it is wrong to think that you cannot do much when the needles are in place. However, it is essential to understand that you can start off easy with just a few needles that the acupuncturist keeps for whatever time you are comfortable with. If you ever feel like a needle is bothering you, ask your acupuncturist to remove it. After all, you are the most important part of the acupuncture experience.
Evidently, the fear of needles has no solid footing with acupuncture. The tools and experiences used during this medical practice are much more different than what you associate needles with, so you should totally give it a try.
At The Acupuncturist Ltd, you can find other methods of coping with fear and discover that the procedure is, in fact, a very positive one.
© The Acupuncturist Ltd