logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc-reviewcopy-publishers
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-10-13 03:56
What Lies Between
What Lies Between - B.N. Toler

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, visit:

What Lies Between is book 2 of B.N. Toler’s Where One Goes series; one that was most anticipated by many of us who loved book 1, Where One Goes. It was one of my favorite reads of 2015 and a 5 stars at that. B.N. Toler was a new to me author and she blew my mind with her storytelling. I was pretty sad that there won’t be a sequel to the story when it felt like it needed a one badly. In that sense, this is a very lovely surprise that I didn’t expect to see but was extremely happy nonetheless to see it becoming a reality.

As usual with my reviews, I’ll begin with a bit of backstory. Where One Goes is narrated from multiple first POVs of the main protagonists; 3 of them. But it begins with Charlotte, our h, trying to help out one last soul before she became of them. Charlotte had a lovely childhood until a few years ago when a tragic accident that changed everything. One moment of impulsive decision took the life of her elder brother Axel and left her badly injured. As she was recovering from her near fatal injury, Charlotte found out the most astonishing thing that had ever happened to her!  She could see spirits; souls in limbo that needed help in crossing over. Since she wasn’t used to it, Charlotte needed help alongside the love and support of her parents in gradually becoming used to with her new ‘gift’. However, her strictly religious parents couldn’t connect with her ‘issues’, thinking she’s become mentally unstable and their relationship deteriorated to a point that she was told simply to leave. Just go away , was all she got. Ever since then Charlotte has been on her own, trying to eke out a life herself and doing what she was meant to be doing; helping out souls that needed her help.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-09-21 02:04
Abiding Love
Abiding Love (Banished Saga Book 8) - Ramona Flightner

My dear Savannah,

In the past 8 installments of Banished Saga, I’ve come to know you so well; felt we’ve become friends as much as I found myself feeling the same for every other member of the McLeod/Sullivan family introduced in this series. I have to admit that initially I found you to be snotty and rather irritating and I liked Clarissa better. :) I wasn’t sure of your match with Jeremy, but despite it all, you’ve found love in one another. And over the course of these 4+ yrs you’ve proved me wrong over and over again.

I knew you’ve found love, but the serenity of life eluded you even when you were with Jeremy. I knew you craved a child so badly that I prayed your wish would come true. Even when it didn’t happen that way, I’d hoped you’d find peace with Jeremy and Melinda in your life. In this installment, I was so excited for you that I can’t even explain. Hoped that finally, after all that you’ve been through, you’d have your wish fulfilled. You’ll finally find peace within yourself and be at peace with life itself.

But alas, that was not to be.

I don’t know if you’re finally at peace now that you’re somewhere no living being can reach you. I just hope you’re doing well as Melinda accompanies you there too.

Abiding Love is the 8th installment of Ramona Flightner’s Banished Saga series. It’s one of my favorite family-centered series, which is also quite aptly titled as we find our favorite characters going through ups and downs like any normal couple will weathering incidents bound to test their love for each-other. This is also one of the more unique attributes of this Saga; that the story of a couple isn’t finished with the HEA. As we find new things to appreciate in this series, the Saga continues as it should showcasing their lives with all its glory, as well as its difficulties.

The Banished Saga, when it began, was onset of suffragist movement of Boston 1901. Along the way we met many characters, including our favorite, the first couple of the series Clarissa and Gabriel in Banished Love. Their story was ongoing in books 2 and 3, Reclaimed Love and Undaunted Love. We also met Clarissa and Gabriel’s family. Clarissa’s own brothers Colin, and Patrick who wasn’t introduced until much later. Her cousin Savannah and best friend Florence, both avid suffragettes and worked with Clarissa throughout. Gabriel’s younger brothers Richard and Jeremy were also introduced, as was their long lost uncle Aidan. Later in the series, Jeremy and Savannah found love, while Richard and Florence, who had an ongoing rift between them, mend it and decided to marry.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-08-16 02:49
Primrose and the Dreadful Duke
Primrose and the Dreadful Duke: A Baleful Godmother Novel (Garland Cousins Book 1) - Emily Larkin

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

I’ve been eagerly waiting for the sequel to Emily Larkin’s Baleful Godmother series for quite a few months now. Primrose and the Dreadful Duke, is the first in the Garland Cousins series and I’m happy to say it was a delightful read mostly because I adored our H and the h, Oliver and Primrose. Of course, I do love Emily’s writing style, so all in all, this was a great initiation to a new series!

Though Primrose and the Dreadful Duke can be read as a standalone, I’d suggest you read the Baleful Godmother series and its prequels containing 4 books, titled the Fey Quartet. The prequels are set in the ancient times when magic seemed real and Fae roamed the earth. You get to know why a family of females were gifted with special powers by a cold and scary-looking Fae named Baletongue. It began with the Miller Family; Widow Miller and her 3 daughters Hazel, Ivy and Larkspur. Then the female descendants of their families were gifted by Baletongue with a special power, what you can also call a ‘super power’ of their choice. The wish would be granted when they turn from somewhere between 21 and 25 depending on which sister they descended from. Girls born from a male descendant won’t inherit it and if a female who was the last of a line inheriting special power either lived her life as a spinster, or passed away without having a daughter, that line would die with her.

The Baleful Godmother series is Regency set and contains 5 books and a novella, each telling the story of a girl descended from the Millers one way or the other. Some of them were cousins; others didn’t even know they had relatives with special powers until circumstances brought them together! It was a super fun series, and apart from book 1, I enjoyed them all. The novella is M/M, with 2 male characters appearing in the installment right before it. It doesn’t really connect to the theme of the series directly but the state of affairs in both books went simultaneously, so it’s connected that way. The novella was written in a way that if M/M isn’t your cup of tea you can skip it. I read and loved it myself. :)

Book 1, Unmasking Miss Appleby is of Charlotte’s and book 2, Resisting Miss Merryweather is of Merry’s. They’re cousins. Book 3, Trusting Miss Trentham is about Letitia Trentham who turns out to be Charlotte and Merry’s distant relative. Book 3.5 is the M/M novella, between one of Letitia’s cousins and his best friend. Book 4, Ruining Miss Wrotham and book 5, Discovering Miss Darlymple aren’t directly connected to the first installments but by the theme, though I think Charlotte and Merry do make appearances in book 4. I’m sure all those ladies are relatives one way or the other, whether they know each-other or not.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-07-08 10:25
Kept by the Viking
Kept by the Viking (Forgotten Sons) - Gina Conkle

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

Gina Conkle is known for her hot and well-written Viking romances. Kept by the Viking, book 1 in a brand new series, is the latest in her growing backlist. Though I had a slow beginning, I really enjoyed the storyline and thought the H and h were absolutely adorable together.

The series titled Forgotten Sons is based on a band of Viking brothers where they’re mainly connected by circumstances, rather than bloodline. But Kept by the Viking largely focuses on the H and h’s relationship and everything surrounding it, rather than building up a backstory for the heroes of the Forgotten Sons, as they call themselves. Then again, there are 6 of them and I’m sure the author will reveal their stories in their own books. All I could gather that they had known each-other since childhood. They share a very strong bond and would do anything for one another. They’re called Forgotten Sons because of some circumstances or the other has made them leave their own home in search of glory, financial stability and, if possible, a home of their own where they can settle.

Kept by the Viking is the story of Rurik, the leader of the Forgotten Sons; a son of Birka, his birthplace. Rurik didn’t have a great childhood, and the aftermaths of that shaped his entire life every way possible. His father, Vlad, was a mean, merciless man whose show of ‘affection’ came with the use of his fist. He had treated Rurik’s mother like the dirt, and at one point, when the young Rurik rebelled against it he was beaten mercilessly. There are more stories of Vlad’s violence, but needless to say, since he left them Rurik or his mother, brother and sisters didn’t shed a single tear for that POS. He hates his father with a passion that rivals his need to possess his own lands.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-30 09:42
Lonestar's Lady
Lonestar's Lady - Deborah Camp

My reviews are honest & they contain spoilers. For more, follow me:

Deborah Camp’s historical romance Lonestar’s Lady was a surprisingly good read, one that I enjoyed till the end. It had some heart-warming, some funny and definitely sexy moments that kept me throughly entertained. I do believe I’ve become a fan of the author’s writing. :D

Gussie Horton arrives in Pear Orchard Arkansas on a livestock wagon all stinky and dirty and alone in hopes for a better future. After all, she left her no good drunken father, the only family member, to get married. She’s supposed to be the proverbial mail-order bride to a man she’s never met before. But Gussie was desperate for her own life with a loving husband and a family of her own. Most importantly, she was tired of being dragged by her papa from place to place and fending off unwanted attentions from his ‘buddies’ when her papa was unconscious from a day of heavy drinking. So yeah, Gussie wanted out and away as far as possible from that life and this seemed like her only chance.

Gussie didn’t expect a lot, but she’d hoped her would-be groom would at the least be a nice fellow who has his own homestead, an income, and one who doesn’t touch liquor with 10 feet pole. It was very apparent that she was naïve and prone to daydreaming because she presumed too many things, never considering that an exact opposite scenario is a possibility as well. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happens when she arrives on the train station and found nobody waiting for her. After waiting for hours, Gussie finally decides to hitch her own ride with what little she had and go in search of her errant groom. Thankfully she knew Bob Babbitt’s address.