logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audio-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-10 17:58
Forget the magic...this one will consume you...mind, body and soul...
The Consumption of Magic - T.J. Klune,Michael Lesley

Holy hell!!! TJ Klune has knocked it out of the ball park with this series and then when you turn it into an audio book with a narrator as talented and just innately tuned into the story as Michael Lesley is...well, you've created a monster of the best kind.

I thought the first two books were incredible and they were...are but with each successive story this just gets better and better...I gave the first two books 5 stars and I'm doing the same again here because for me it's not really a matter of each book gets better it's more a case of each part of this story remains equally as amazing as the one before it was.

So yes, to begin with if you haven't read or listened to 'The Lightening Struck-Heart' or 'A Destiny of Dragons' stop now and go fix that because this is truly one big epic fantasy story and you need all of it in order to truly appreciate and understand what's happening.

To be quite honest I've read and listened to the audio book for the first to parts of this series and still I would happily go back and listen to them all over again and I will as soon as time permits because without a doubt this is going to be one of my favorite series EVAH!!!

This part of the series essentially picks up where 'A Destiny of Dragons' left off and we get to spend more time with Sam of Wilds and his entourage of interesting and unusual friends. I've pondered on more than one occasion who's my favorite and  while I have to admit I am so totally a fan of dragons...when it comes to this bunch I just love them all. As a collective they work and somehow one without the others just wouldn't be a good...so I feel no need to choose and I simply adore each and every one of them.

As the adventure progresses in this story so does the danger to all involved. Sam is reunited with his mentor, Morgan of Shadows and Randolph only to discover that there are secrets so any secrets and not only do they threaten the faith and trust that he has always had with Morgan and begrudgingly with Randolph as well but the very well being of Sam, his friends and the whole of Verania as well. Also just a bit of a heads up the story doesn't end here and this one's definitely left us sitting on the edge of a cliff...a seriously freakin' scary cliff but fear not the next book is already out so if you can't wait for the audio book to be released there is the e-book currently available and if you're like me you may have hopes of reading the book before the audio comes out because this one's worth experiencing once or twice or maybe a few times more.

Like the previous books 'The Consumption of Magic' is filled with adventure, action, laughter tears...so freakin' many tears...TJ, Kleenex called to thank you for the boost to their sales...ffs!!! you need to stop this...no, no actually you don't because as much as you're books tend to shatter me into a millions itsy bitsy pieces each time the adventure is done you've put me back together so I'm going to trust that you'll do the same with this one as well. Just keep writing stories that are unputdownable. Yeah, it's a word...hey, google said so and google would never lie to me (just FYI I typed this with a straight face).

So if  you're still not convinced about this book...this series, well all I can say is you need to go to GoodReads or Amazon and read some more reviews because they're out there a whole lot of really, really awesome reviews for a really, really awesome book...seriously check it out.

***********************

An audio book of 'The Consumption of Magic' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-09 16:48
I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells
I Am Not A Serial Killer - Dan Wells,John Allen Nelson

This is a weird book but I think I liked it well enough. Let’s see if I can work out a rating by the time I stop writing out my feelings here.

“I think that fate wants me to become a serial killer.”

John Wayne Cleaver is a teen doing his best not to murder the cretins that surround him. I’m not joking about this either. He has serious serial killer in the making vibes. Even his therapist thinks so. His family runs a mortuary and he’s been exposed to death since he was a child but he’s the only one in his family who finds death fascinating. He’s written school essays on serial killers and is obsessed with learning everything about them. But unlike most killers (besides Dexter), he knows murder is wrong and he creates rules for himself that will prevent him from acting out on his urges to slice people up like stir-fry. But people do not make it easy for him. As you all probably know, most people are jerks. Especially when they’re still in high school. John has one friend and that friend was so annoying I might’ve wanted to slice him up a time or two myself.

This kid is detached, he knows it, you know it and it’s hard to feel for him since he doesn’t feel normal emotions. He mimics others in order to be a decent citizen and get by in society. You think you see where this all heading with comments like these, don’t you?

“If you met me on the street you’d never know how much I wanted to kill you.”

But you would be wrong. The book takes a weird and unexpected turn somewhere midway in and it really threw me off. I thought I was reading one thing and then it turned into another thing and I wasn’t sure I liked where it was heading but in the end I guess it worked out because I didn’t quit it. Just go in expecting the unexpected and you might be ok.

With that said, I must steer you away from the audiobook read by John Allen Nelson. Sadly this narrator was not a good fit for my ears. He has a news anchor voice and he’s not afraid to use it and it continually threw me out of the story. He would be much better suited to a true crime or a nonfiction book. He doesn’t do well with a teen’s voice and this book is told by a teen. He also has the funniest, most cartoony old person voice I think I have ever heard outside of the shows my kids used to watch on Nickelodeon. I laughed when I should’ve been a wee bit sad or terrified.

In the end, I guess I’m giving this production and story a three. I wasn’t happy with the way everything was wrapped up so tidily in the end. It seemed too easy and too unbelievable and it infuriated me a little. Many people say this story gets better as the series moves along. I may try another if I stumble on a free copy but I won’t actively seek them out.

review 2018-06-13 15:42
The Axeman of New Orleans: The (boring) True Story
The Axeman of New Orleans: The True Story - Miriam C. Davis,Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I am DNFing this book. For a story about the axeman, it is so incredibly dull. The author has clearly done her homework but she's included too many sidelines that have nothing to do with the murders. If I wanted to learn about the origins of the Italian Mafia in New Orleans I would've picked up a different book.

This story was also one of the subplots in American Horror Story’s season of “Coven”. The "axeman" is the guy Jessica Lange gets cozy with. The gals over at MY FAVORITE MURDER also covered the case in one of their many disturbingly amusing podcasts. I’d say listen to that instead. Life's too short and stressful so I'm picking up something else rather than struggling to stay awake during this one.

review 2018-06-11 17:28
The Outsider by Stephen King, narrated by Will Patton
The Outsider - Will Patton,Stephen King

This is the story of an atrocious murder of an innocent and the investigation that turns into a “ f*cked up nightmare of a case” for all of those involved.

That description about sums it all up. The murder, the ensuing rush to jail a suspect and the follow up are all horrific. To say anything more about the plot, truly, is to ruin it for anyone wishing to read it. It’s not just me being lazy! I’m seriously tired of having things spoiled for me so I’m refusing to say much of anything. If you want to know more, check out one of the zillion spoilery reviews out here in the internets.

If you want to read a book by a master storyteller who grabs you early and doesn’t really let you up for air until well into its second half, I cannot recommend this audiobook highly enough. I was hooked into the story so hard that I found myself making up chores so I could stay plugged in and listen to “just a bit more” before I had to return to reality. I even took my lazy dog for a long neglected walk in order to have an excuse to keep going. He pooped out way before I was ready to call it quits on The Outsider and pull out my earbuds.

This isn’t a straight up murder mystery and you need to know that before going in. It has a horror angle and a tie-in to a previous series. If you don’t like either of those two things in your books, you might not be overly thrilled with the second half of the book. Me? I loved it. I want more books like these and I want them all to be narrated by Will Patton! His voice is just so down to earth, calming and listenable (is that a word?). He breathes life into the characters and that’s a skill that isn’t an easy one to master.

I’m not giving this book five stars because:

1. I’m a jerk and only give fives out to the rare book that I personally feel fit my idea of perfection.
2. It gets a little sloggy in its last few acts.
3. It made me sad and horrified but I never felt fear or creeping dread as I did in The Shining or Pet Sematary.

Instead I give it 4 ½ stars which is the next to best thing, and a very high recommendation.

review 2018-06-08 19:04
Fear University by Meg Collett, narrated by Lidia Dornet
Fear University - Meg Collett,Lidia Dornet

I’m not fond of the title of this one. It gives the book a generic feeling of YA or NA and does the book a disservice because it’s a gritty, violent and action-packed story that deserves a title such as Aswang: Demon Dogs! That’s catchier, don’t you think? Or maybe Devil Dogs Want to Eat Your Tasty Bits. Yeah, I like that one but maybe that’s why they don’t ask me. Anyway, I grabbed this because the blurb caught my attention and I’m glad I did because it was pretty darn good.

Ollie has never been able to feel physical pain. Because of this, she ended up abandoned by her mother and was tormented by those who should’ve protected her. She’s grown up tough and resilient and has been living on her own since becoming a young adult. One day she is attacked by a dog-like creature and wins the fight as two young men watch. They can’t believe their eyes. Average humans, AKA civvies, aren’t supposed to win fights against the “aswang”, they’re supposed to become their dinner. They kidnap her and bring her back to “Fear University” where only select families are training to fight a secret war against the aswang beasties. She’s soon entrenched in training for the war by a handsome but all business guy named Luke who is reputed to abstain from sexy times because he likes it too rough. She feels no pain. She is intrigued!

So all that’s going on and a whole lot of other stuff that I will not spoil. This book is definitely more urban fantasy than NA angst or romance and I liked that about it. There’s action, the pace is fast, there are many revelations and surprises, the characters are imperfect and their interactions are interesting. But it’s Ollie who makes the book sing for me. She’s carrying the weight of a painful past and she’s sarcastic, cynical and doesn’t take any crap from anyone but she’s also funny and reminded me a bit of Liv from IZombie.

“I didn’t like Luke or his stupid dick.”

She lies too :)

This was a very good urban fantasy but I recommend picking up the next book (and maybe the one after that) in the series if you’re like me and prefer to have all of your questions answered. This book leaves things a-dangling and may leave you pulling out your hair if you don’t have book two all lined up and ready to go. My library does NOT so arrrrgggh!

The narrator is most excellent. She sounds youthful and tough and exudes emotion exactly where needed.

I received a copy of this audio from Tantor Media. Thanks, Tantor!