Because of Winn Dixie is the story of Opal and her father as they begin their new life in Florida. Opal rescues a dog named Winn Dixie, who provides her with connections to her community and helps her to make peace with her past. I really loved the character of Opal and felt that she was very relatable. She had a different home life with a single father and felt that she had no friends. I rooted for her throughout the book. There are many diverse characters within Winn Dixie. I think this book would be perfect to study characterization and character traits. This text would be appropriate for grades 3-5.
DNF at 11%. I've tried. I had actually wanted to go beyond 20% to see if things would work out for me and if the writing would improve, but unfortunately it kept grating on my nerves ever since page one. I might try again if I have nothing better to do.
What didn't work for me:
1) Writing Style - it sucks!
- The narrative structure is a mangled piece of framework. To sum up, it was inarticulate.
- Spent half of the time trying to figure out who is talking, who said what. It's a major distraction, a story flow breaker.
2) Characterization - also sucks!
- Absence/lack of motivations in the characters makes it hard to understand them or make sense of their action and rationality. They are so daft it's a pain to read on. I felt like putting a bullet into Lindsay and Pip's empty heads.
- They have zero common sense and the things they do is utterly unreasonable. Brainless bunch really.
- Exaggerated reactions like wanting to pass out just from someone licking cum off his fingers. One would think the poor guy was locked in chastity for eons.
3) Far-Fetched Storyline
- Just too many unrealistic situations to recount. Conflicts was resolved so sloppily that it does not make any sense.
- I am SO not buying the attraction between Lindsay and Pip. This is not even instant-attraction it's sudden-attraction.
Okay so these are the reasons I couldn't go on reading. Besides that the so called sexy scene in the car at the beach gave me goosebumps. Not in a good way kind. Ugh! Pip is just so slutty and Lindsay was behaving like an overexcited fumbling teenager.
I would have to have the willpower of a saint to re-attempt this book again. I am still puzzling over all those 5 stars ratings. What really happened? Why all the rave and hype? Damnit! I am still curious bout this and I am dying to find out for myself. If only I could push on.
* Reviewed on May 27th, 2014
View all my reviews