logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: drive-by-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-08-06 01:59
Review - The Captive
The Captive - Grace Burrowes

Swoony romance between two damaged people who find their way back to healing together. Loved it especially because it had an old romance flavor to it. Definitely reading on since, at the end of this one, we get a hint of how book two's protagonist (who tortured our hero!!) will be redeemed.

review 2015-08-04 22:46
Review - Magic Shifts
Magic Shifts - Ilona Andrews

WARNING - extreme fangirling ahead

I can only remember one time I was disappointed in a Kate Daniels book. Magic Rises had that moment when Kate decided that Curran preferred that cupcake, Lorelei, to her...really? You went there, book? I DO NOT want, nor accept, that kind of nonsense in my KD stories. Mercifully, we have nothing of the sort in Magic Shifts and in fact the Kate/Curran partnership is completely, beautifully rock solid. Halle-frickin-lujah.

I love that we've moved away from the Pack, freeing Curran to focus exclusively on Kate. I really loved the expansion of Julie's character, showing only previously hinted at development she's experienced at Kate's side.

Ilona and Gordon have positioned this story and the plot 'shift' perfectly, aligning us for the ultimate showdown with the inimitable Roland. And now we wait! *sigh*

review 2015-07-31 03:57
Review - The Bourbon Kings
The Bourbon Kings - J.R. Ward

What is mostly amusing and predictably cheesy in the BDB series is not so tolerable in a contemporary, real world setting.

review 2015-06-18 16:54
Review - Steelheart
Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

Pretty torn on how to rate this. I loved the premise (superhero nerd alert!) but the character's voice was too juvenile for his age and the story suffered for it, IMO. I thought the world building had a good frame work but since we stuck with David's POV we never saw much complexity in terms of setting, the larger impact of the Epics coming to power, etc. Not sure I'll continue.

review 2015-06-03 15:27
Review - Asking For It
Asking for It - Lilah Pace

Emotionally complex and intense, really well done. Vivienne is a smart, thoughtful woman exploring and working through the trauma that defined her early in her life. She meets Jonah, and together they take the exploration to the next level but suddenly the stark honesty of their relationship causes it to change and they both realize they want more. Watching the two of them peel back their emotional scars is riveting and heartbreaking at the same time. Can't wait for the second book since

a HEA remains just out of their reach

(spoiler show)

*This book is most certainly not for those with non-con/dub-con/sexual assault triggers (less)