hen you are looking to create an ecommerce store, there are a number of steps that you have to go through. You have to figure out what you are going to sell, where you will source it from, who your shipping partner will be, how much you can spend on the whole operation, how many staff members you will need, how to build the e-commerce store, etc.
It can be overwhelming when you figure out that you have to go much deeper into each of these steps to get the value for your buck.
Once you have done all the ground level work, you have to turn your attention to your website.
While it is not your main product, it enables the selling of your products. Therefore, it is important to make it efficient, user-friendly and multi-device responsive.
All of this sounds pretty normal, but to execute it, is much more difficult.
Out of the many options you have of the e-commerce platforms, like Odoo, Shopify, WooCommerce, Magento, etc., Magento is the top of the class.
Magento platform can be utilized according to their available editions. Magento 2 community edition is free of cost and is an open source which is available for all. On the other hand, there is a Magento 2 Enterprise edition for which you will have to spend a lot of money. If you can invest that much money, then you should definitely go for the Enterprise edition.
When you are done deciding the edition you are going with, the next natural step is to hire a Magento developer to accommodate some customizations for your e-store.
When you are hiring a Magento developer, you can go many ways. A freelance developer, a firm that has more than one developer, and a firm that has Magento certified developers.
Of course, the Magento certified developers are the best option, and if you can go along with them, then they can use their expertise in Magento to help you with your e-store.
You can explore various companies that have certified developers and pick the one that is giving you the most services at a reasonable price in their bundle. At the end of the day, a good web solution shouldn’t empty your pocket. So let’s look at which developers to avoid and what are the positive signs to look for when hiring a Magento developer:
What kind of developers should you avoid hiring?
The wrong kind of developers will charge you exorbitant prices for very little work, try to impress you with a flashy pitch that promises you much more than they can deliver. They will either not honor the timeline they have given for delivery, or not be ready with the full work at the said time. They often lack the necessary team or expertise that they promise.
The following things to check for while hiring Magento developers:
Magento developers that provide more than just basic development services are more valuable for the cost you are paying. There are various services you will need in association with your Magento store.
Here are a few of the things you should make sure to check before signing any deals with the Magento developers:
- The right Magento developers will be able to understand your business and build your website accordingly.
- They will not hesitate to show you their portfolio and the cases that they have already worked on. This will help you see what they are capable of and their way of working with clients.
- You should hire Magento developers who are transparent in their way of working.
- The right Magento developers will also be able to help you migrate to updated versions whenever necessary.
- You should make sure to hire Magento developers who will provide the necessary maintenance and support.
- They should also be able to handle customization of Magento according to your requirement.
- E-stores generally require some extensions, so it would be beneficial if the developers are able to develop those extensions for your store or integrate ones that are already available on the market to make them work seamlessly for you.
If you take care of these points, then you will have nothing to worry. You will be looking at a long term, supportive partnership with them. And in the grueling world of e-commerce, that goes a long way.