logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: *review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-24 10:39
#62 - Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas
Empire of Storms - Sarah J. Maas

I read this book for the first time when it came out last year and I remember really enjoying it. The second read was as good, I really liked this book and all its characters.

I don't really know what to say without any spoilers, this book is the 5th in the series and a lot have happen to our main character since she started her journey. She has grown so much and yet, she is still the same. I remember really disliking her the first time I read Throne of Glass, but now, I think she is amazing.

I just think some romances are a bit forced and do not feel really natural. As if all female characters needed to be with a male character just because he is around. It is the feeling I got out of this book, but I still kind of enjoyed those "romances".

This book is full of adventure and revelations and once again, I'm impressed how the author reveals some part of the story to the other characters as the same time as to the reader. Aelin is scheming and nobody knows it, not even the reader, until one of the characters discovers what she did. I think it really add something to the book.

The ending left me on edge, just like last time, but I had Tower of Dawn to help me get over the book hangover. I just finished Tower of Dawn and will post my review really soon!

review 2017-09-23 17:44
.Splintered Book Review.
Splintered - A.G. Howard

This review can also be found at LostBetweenThePages & Goodreads.

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers - precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. A family curse that stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, it's time for Alyssa to follow in her footsteps. To fix Alice's mistakes. To Wonderland.

A lot drew me to this book, Alyssas mum is locked away in a mental hospital and Alyssa herself is in danger of following right behind her. Plus Wonderland is real. Great!! This book went with the darker and more twisted version of Wonderland, which I think is a cool idea. Taking the odd yet picturesque place and turning it on it head to be disturbing.

Alyssa is an average teenager who is doing her best to get on with her life, which isn't easy when you're teased about your connection to the original Alice Liddell and your mum is locked away talking to bugs and only eating food unless it is served in a tea cup. The one person in this book that deserves some serious praise is her dad. He is desperately trying to keep their life together, its clear he is terrified his daughter will turn out like her mum and every other female in her family. He is still hopelessly in love with her, regardless of her illness and is clinging on to this hope that one day she'll come back to him.

Alyssa does her best to ignore the bugs and plants around her, determined not to go down the crazy route, but after an incident at the mental hospital things change. There's finally some hope. Alyssa ends up being dragged into Wonderland, with one goal. Fix what Alice did and save her family from the madness. Cue love interest.

Jeb is her long time crush and best friend. He ends up going with her, he is hugely protective of her and is desperate to get them home. As much as it pains him to stick it out in Wonderland and watch Alyssa feel the need to prove herself he doesn't hold her back too much. Deep down I think he knows what she is capable of but is so scared to let go of his need to protect her. Enter Morpheus stage left.

Morpheus makes up our triangle. He has been with Alyssa through her whole life, she just hasn't known it. It is obvious he has an agenda and will use Alyssa. He's dark and mysterious, and can show her a whole other side of herself. He does get on my nerves quite a bit, he goes on about what how well he knows her, but really he doesn't. He doesn't know her life Jeb does, and will manipulate her in this game he wants her to play.

There was only one real downside to this book for me, the love triangle I could cope with. Just about it. I feel like the dark and moody thing got taken too far, I have no problem with Alyssa being a punk skater girl, I was a teenager once too. But it seems so over the top, her out fit choice seem so teenager cliché. At first I thought she dressed like it because she looked so much like her mum she wanted to distance herself away from her. I felt like this was her only form of rebelling, because god forbid she does her dad will probably had a meltdown. I'm hoping that after the events of this book it'll be toned down a little in the next.

review 2017-09-22 22:34
Review for Tripped Out by Lorelei James

• Tripped out by Lorelei James
  • File Size: 383 KB
  • Print Length: 120 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: Evil Eye Concepts, Incorporated (September 12, 2017)
  • Publication Date: September 12, 2017
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B01N7HR5MK
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • Arc Copy provided for honest review

About TRIPPED OUT:

Where there’s smoke…

Stirling Gradsky abandoned the corporate rat race for a more laidback lifestyle. So it’s ironic she’s stuck working with a hard-bodied, know-it-all scientist who treats her like a stoner instead of a stone cold business woman capable of running a large scale cannabis operation. Dr. Hot and Tattooed with the big…brain needs to stop sampling their product; he’s under the half-baked idea that he’s the boss.

Dr. Liam Argent’s doctorate isn’t in chemistry, but from the moment he meets his sexy new coworker, there’s enough heat between them to short out all the lights in the grow house. First item on his agenda? Clearing up the sassy, blunt blonde’s hazy notion that she’s in charge.

Sparks fly as their attraction blazes. But can they weed out their differences without getting burned?

Grab your copy of TRIPPED OUT today!

Amazon | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada | Amazon AU

Download the Free Kindle App

I have to say that this is one of my favorite authors and she never seems to disappoint. Omg ! from the onset of the story she had me laughing out loud.I have to say that I laughed through the entire story and after the week I had a needed those laughs and this was the  perfect story to do just that.A great quick read with a great cast of characters.

I have to say that I really loved the main characters Stirling and Liam from the onset of the story.They were both hilarious.I loved their teasing the back and forth banter their pranks that they play on one another and also the animosity that they had for one another at the beginning but not in a mean or threating way.Underneath the disguise they really liked one another and you just new it was really just a smoke screen as they were really attracted to one another.

I have to say that the plot of the story was so new and refreshing and different and I think for me it just made it a bit more fun.Two really smart and intelligent people have really serious and stressful jobs at work but , could be so laid back and carefree and quirky on their own down time.

I always pick a favorite character and mine is Stirling that girl just cracked me up every time she opened her mouth.I loved the camaraderie  she had with Liam.These two really were perfect for one another as Liam tended to be a bit uptight but Stirling seemed to mellow him out.

Liam was not what I expected with all those tattoo's and his rock hard body and stunning looks not your typical looking doctor.But, man underneath it all he was a man of surprises who liked down right dirty panty melting sex.What a refreshing character that I found to be funny and I really loved him.

What a quick and fun read and I loved it from cover to cover.A cute love story that had me grinning and smiling from the onset which I really enjoyed with a surprising and different kind of plot that I found refreshing as I have never come across reading anything like it before.

Overall the story brought enjoyment and grins and smiles and quite a few chuckles and more than a few stares from the hubby as I was laughing out loud....

5 stars for us

About Lorelei James:
Lorelei James is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author of contemporary erotic western romances set in the modern day Wild West and also contemporary erotic romances. Lorelei’s books have been nominated for and won the Romantic Times Reviewer’s choice Award, as well as the CAPA Award. Lorelei lives in western South Dakota with her family…and a whole closet full of cow girl boots. From Lorelei: “Why do I have a particular fondness for all things western? Well, I’m a fourth generation South Dakotan, living in the Black Hills, which is chock-full of interesting characters, including cowboys, Indians, ranchers, and bikers. The geographical diversity of the surrounding area showcases mountains, plains, and badlands. Living in and writing about rural settings gives me a unique perspective, especially since I’m not writing historical westerns. Through my fictional world, I can show the ideals and the cowboy way of life are still very much alive.”

review 2017-09-22 16:56
Girl at War Book Review
Girl at War: A Novel - Sara Nović

Wow this was powerful. I had to read this for a YA book training coming out and fount it an interesting book to choose for teens considering its not exactly YA. But it was so good. I was hooked from the beginning and really felt the emotions of the main character.

Ana was ten years old when she witnessed her parents death in Crotia. Now she's an adult in America living under a different name with her adopted parents. A better life. But nobody really know's who she is or where she comes from. But the truth is about to come out.

This packed a punch straight from the beginning. I don't know much about Crotia and their civil war. But I certainly gained perspective from this book. I'd recommend it easily. And I'm curious to what the teens at this event will feel about this book.

review 2017-09-22 16:24
Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

So many people reviewed this book and we don't need another one you will think. Especially someone who read it 20 years late. But considering I am one of those who read it after the TV show, I am only six years late. But still, the hype is so big, fans are dying being too fanatic and critics are so savage they could kill the show or the book. Without forgetting the very genius ones who leak scripts and episodes ! (sarcasm here). Anyway, it took me a while to read the first book because my pleasure of reading consist in fact to constantly starting new books and I sometimes found myself with six or seven started books.

As everybody knows, the first book is very close to the TV show. In fact there is the same dialogs, same story timeline, not so much less and not so much more. And I loved it. We absolutely cannot rate this book in the same way than the reader who reads it before the show came out. The final spoil is too big to be ignored. So I mostly concentrated more on the form of the book. I must say George R.R. Martin has the simplest complicated way of describing and constructing his characters. The feelings they have and the way they think is ornamented in a genius way and this is what, I think, make it possible for the show to be absolutely complete and deeply detailed. It’s a typical story timeline which is split by short chapters placed in the point of view of all the important characters. So we can assume that the book has already a cinematic ambiance.

What is most incredible about the story is that the different characters live and develop so far from each other and still at the very end of the book and knowing that they will meet one day let you think about the extremely large and rich journey that is waiting for them. This long journey but also the big importance the past events seems to have for every family is what makes each small detail very important to remember. Those subtle details who take place in the show as in the book, has an immense history that is written and known somewhere behind and before everything took place. (Look at all the wiki about westeros history and important characters that are already dead when the events took place). So this is what I call a complete story created by a complete and solid imagination. A big story written on the surface of an even bigger story that you, as a reader, need to dig a little. That is why I find this first book of the serie totally genius and so is the TV show !

5 ☆