logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-07-20 17:32
Review: Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost
Up From the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death… because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear — will be hovering on the edge of the grave.

This is the final book in the Night Huntress series . On the one hand it was bitter-sweet to see Cat, Bones and friends go on the other it was time.

Now that I finished the complete series I think it was overdue. I would have been happy with five great books instead of the last two books seeming like Mrs. Frost is running out of ideas and just forcing things to happen.

This was not any different for this last book. Don’t get me wrong I liked it (well most of it) but it was not the same as what we got in the beginning of the series.

Sure we get the same characters, but something just seemed to be missing.

As far as this last book goes. I liked it we have Cat and Bones in full actions to not only save themselves but to prevent yet another full-blown war between the species. At the same time they ate trying to figure out what the government or more Madigan is and was up to. Once it is revealed what he has been up to, I thought “NO WAY”. But not in a good way.

I really didn’t care for this part of the story, it seemed too farfetched and yet reminded me of another vampire franchise, that done that. I didn’t care for what we find out. Not because it was (sort of) done before but because it just didn’t seem to fit and felt very forced.

I liked Cat in this book for the most part, except a few parts where she seemed to have lost the ability to think clearly. But mostly she as okay and it is rather amazing how far and how much she grown since the first book.

Bones, well he was Bones not much more to him and his moody self. Let’s not forget Tate.  Things change for him in a big…… I thought he handled it better that I thought he would fort being Tate that is.

Charles or Spade as we mostly known him, he used to be more the books and I used to like him but ever since the whole Denise thing, he turned into a big ole douche at least that is what I thought.,

Denise on the other grown so much, she might have even outgrown Spade and all the others. I really loved her in this book.

One other person I surprised me in this book and that was Ian. Man did I love him in this book, we learn so much more about him and I wish we would get more of him. Maybe someday as a spin-off we get Ian.

Overall I liked this book, it had suspense, humor, romance and action.  I rate the book at 3★     ...I wish I could have rated it higher being the last but it is what it is.

But that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the entire series, I sure did and I will miss Cat & Co for sure.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

***

“Shame on you, Crispin. Married how long, and you haven't spanked your wife with a metal spatula yet?"

***

“Only a fool chooses to live in ignorance when knowledge is so easily obtained.”

***

“That's how two vampires, a medium, and a dog came to sit around a Ouija board in the back room of a floral shop.”

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Links

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-grave-night-huntress-7-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-07-19 20:06
[Book Review] Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman
Rating: ★★★★★

You can read this review on my blog.

I'm always up for a nice spooky mystery, and honestly this has everything I want from a book in that genre. Old town in the middle of nowhere? Check. Spooky ghosts? Check. Lots and lots of secrets? Check. But what makes this book even more interesting is that it's interactive. Spread throughout the book are passwords that you can type into the given website to watch videos. It's interesting to note that all of the passwords are titles of classic horror/gothic books.

The only problem I have with Skeleton Creek, and it may not even become a problem and I'm just being paranoid, but I feel like it's hinting at future romance. This book is great as it is, and there is no need for any romance. It's just unnecessary. Please just keep them as friends.

The book ended in a huge cliff hanger. I had to know what happened next, so I went out and got the rest of the series right away. I can't wait to see what happens next!

show activity (+)
review 2017-07-19 16:15
Once and For All Book Review
Once and for All - Sarah Dessen

This was cute. Not my favorite Dessen novel. I felt a little let down by the end. Could have used more back story with the main character and the school shooting scenes. Enjoyed the fact that she worked with her mother with weddings.

Dessen fans will probably like this one. Its her usual cute and fluffy summer read.

review 2017-07-18 20:48
[Book Review] The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Shepherd

Rating: ★★★★★

You can read this review on my blog.

This book feels like it's been hiding on the shelf next to the classics, such as The Secret Garden and Narnia, for years now.

It's a simple story really. It's a story about a young girl fighting an illness while the adults fight a war. But it's also a lot more. It's a story about hope and courage. It's a story about love and loss. And it's beautiful.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-07-18 20:44
[Book Review] Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Rating: ★★★

This review contains spoilers.

You can read this review on my blog.

I went into this think this would be what I was originally expecting from Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, a spooky ghost story with some creepy pictures. I didn't get that.

I really wanted to like this. Creepy and haunted mental hospitals? I love that kinda thing. But for the most of book, the writing was off. I don't really know how to phrase this, but it the writing looked like a middle-grade student wrote it. And because of that, it took me forever to finish the book. I guess another aspect of the bad writing was the romance. In my opinion it didn't really need it, but the romance that it did have had no depth to it at all.

Like I said above, I was expecting some creepy photos, but these photos just didn't seem that real or creepy. They all looked like stock photos but with a black and white filter. And it turns out that they actually are stock photos.

This book was written in 2013. I assume the story takes place right around then too, since everyone has cell phones and stuff. If so there should be cameras in the dorm right? I mean except for the bathrooms and the rooms themselves. Then why didn't the police check the cameras? They could've probably solved the whole mystery by just looking at the cameras! Unless there was some weird ghostly interference? But neither of those were mentioned anywhere in the book. I just that was a kinda big plot hole there.

I'll probably continue reading the series just because I wanna see how the rest of the mystery unfolds. Also I really wanna see how this was stretched over 3 books and 3 novellas.