logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-27 14:15
Blade Bound (Chicagoland Vampires #13) by Chloe Neill
Blade Bound - Chloe Neill

syns

The thrilling final installment of Chloe Neill’s New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series sees a sinister sorcery advancing across Chicago, and it may usher in the fall of Cadogan House…

Since the night of her brutal attack and unwilling transformation to vampire, Merit’s stood as Sentinel and protector of Chicago’s Cadogan House. She's saved the Windy City from the forces of darkness time and again with her liege and lover, Ethan Sullivan, by her side.

When the House is infiltrated and Merit is attacked by a vampire seemingly under the sway of dark magic, Merit and Ethan realize the danger is closer than they could have ever imagined. As a malign sorcery spreads throughout the city, Merit must go to war against supernatural powers beyond her comprehension. It’s her last chance to save everything—and everyone—she loves.

my though

OMG. This is it folks. This is the FINAL book of the Chicagoland Vampire series and I must say it is bittersweet. There were some books where I wasn’t sure if I gonna stick with the series but in the end I did and I’m glad that I did.

It was an overall enjoyable ride with Merit and Ethan. I always find it hard to review the final book of a series and this is no different in this case. Anyway, I will try to make it short and sweet without giving anything away and without only reviewing just end of the series, if that makes any sense.

The book starts in full prep of the wedding and what may or may not be in stall for our beloved characters. The wedding is actually happening even with some killer security all over the place since it is kind of a big deal not only for Methan but for Chicago as well. I have to say that the wedding, which includes the bridal shower, dress, reception and the whole thing was just beautiful and fit for Merit. It had Merit and Ethan written all over it while still catering to Chicago and of course her parents.

Of course it doesn’t take long before Chaos breaks out and Chicago is once, more in danger. Methan and gang are of course right in the middle and willing to help, but not everything goes smooth and they once again end up being the target for humans. It gets so bad that the humans including the Mayor are ready to hand over not only Merit, but also Mallory to end the whole thing. Of course that doesn’t go over well with neither Ethan nor Catcher.

We see almost everyone and all supernatural races throughout the book once to help or at least they are mentioned to what happened to them. That includes the Fae , the council of vampires , the pack of shifters and of course the Order, plus some others.

I wish we would have seen more of Gabriel and his pack given he was a big part of the series and let’s not forget the prophecy her foresaw but overall it was okay.

In the end the of course defeat the “big bad” with the help of not only the order but also the RG.I liked how everyone came together in the end to figure it out and fight.

Merit in this book was a bit more, hmmmmm sad maybe…… she kind of grieved for things she couldn’t have or may or may not have in the future. But in the end she picker herself up and knew what to do. I liked how while kind of sad she was still super happy with Ethan and being married to him, it was odd seeing her married but it really fit her. Of course she kicks butt in this book, just like all the previous book and I don’t think there is much that can take her down. It is kind of hard believe that it has only been a little over a year for her since her journey as a vampire began. But she came very far and I was happy for her outcome.

Ethan, well it was no secret that most the books I was either not sure about him or didn’t like him. Only the last few books had I started to like him. Well Ethan managed to finally win me over with this book. I really like him in this book for what he did and the way he handled things. Not only with Merit but also people, vampires and humans alike. He became funnier with each book as well I guess more relaxed. It was nice to see him that way funny, relaxed, but still very alpha and protective. He came a long way from the stiff vampire who ate a hotdog with fork and knife and had very little humor that we met in book one. Oh and we finally learn the nickname he has for Merit and it actually is really fitting.

Mallory and Catcher were a big part of this book and a big part of solving the problem but I think what came over most was the friendship between the four of them and of course between  Merit and Malory . At one point in the series I wasn’t sure if I ever could forgive Mallory but I really think I can and did. She did some truly bad things and it took time to heal for everyone but in the end it all worked out.

I always liked Catcher and what he stood for and I liked his relationship with Mallory I don’t think there could have been anyone else for them. They were perfect for each other and balanced each other out greatly even or more so after everything that went down throughout the series.

Okay, now to some thoughts of the overall ending of the series, it will be spoiler free.

Most things in the series will be tight up by the end of the book, what happened to some of the supernatural races or other little things, some things were either not mentioned or just left hanging. Some characters that were in previous books and are still very much alive are not even mentioned which was kind of disappointing but I can understand that not everything can be included sometimes. They were not major characters or storylines so it was not so bad.

Thing with the AAM and the RG are mentioned and some things are solved. The RG thing, well not sure about that it was almost too neat and easy, and if that case could have been solved like that a few books ago. It kind of made no sense.

Now to the prophecy that we been hearing about for forever………. I liked the outcome but again it was a bit too easy again……. I saw it coming that way at a certain point at the book it was predicable (in this book) and kind of a cop out I thought, At least for something so big we been waiting for almost the entire series. There were also some minor issues I had with but don’t want to mention or I would spoil some and really it was nothing big anyways.

I heard that there is supposed to be a spin off series but to be honest I have not checked of it has been announced about who and where. But I think I have some ideas after this books.

Overall I thought it was a great ending to a great series, while it had it lows it many more highs and I enjoyed this book and series. I really will miss Methan and the gang.

I rate the book 4★. The series I guess would be a 3 ½★ - 4 ★

Some of my favorite Quotes

Luc saluted. “Sire.” He glanced at me, grinned. “Mrs. Sire.”

“Nope,” I said, shaking my head. “I’m going to nope that one right there.”

***

“I hope to God that is Chris Pratt riding a velociraptor.”

***

“Happy Darth Sullivan Eve.”

***

“I am your husband, and your friends, and you lover. And I am also a soldier. I am a vampire. I am monster, in no small part.” The Emerald shifted, transmuted to quicksilver- one element battling another. “And if I must show them in that order ti protect you, I will. Should it come to that, God have mercy on their souls. Because I will have none.”

***

Luc saluted. “Sire.” He glanced at me, grinned. “Mrs. Sire.”

“Nope,” I said, shaking my head. “I’m going to nope that one right there.”

***

“I hope to God that is Chris Pratt riding a velociraptor.”

***

“Happy Darth Sullivan Eve.”

***

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available April 25th 2017

Abouttheauth

Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--her husband and their dogs, Baxter and Scout.

Links

Website***Twitter***Facebook***Goodreads***Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/blade-bound-chicagoland-vampires-13-chloe-neill
text 2017-03-26 22:20
.What I'm Reading | February 2017.

This post can originally be found at MissKatiEllen.

Although slightly later than usual I bring you my reads from February. I didn't get to finish as many as I would have liked, but that's what happens when you take a week off work for your birthday. As it was my birthday I decided that it only be right by picks were Disney related.

The first book I finished was Poor Unfortunate Souls by Serena Valentino. This is unfortunately the last in her villains series, which I'm absolutely gutted about. I love the world she's created, the references to other Disney Kingdoms, how some characters lives are already entwined. This story was about Ursula, but due to this amazing world that's been created I felt her story lacked compared to the previous two books. The story was kept interesting changing from different people's POW but I felt like there was so much more being hinted at, begging to be explored.

The second book I finished was Once Upon A Dream by Liz Braswell. This is her second Disney 'what if' retelling, this is completely unlike her first book. Due to the nature of Aladdin the beginning was quite literally the film and things only changed when Jafar got the lamp, whereas in this book we are in the dream world that Aurora thinks is real and we got chapter versions of what happened and 'what happened'. This book is much slower by comparison, A Whole New World was filled with constant fighting and things happening.  Aurora getting to grips with the dream, with herself, coping with two sets of memories. Discovering so much was a lie in both worlds. The books downfall is that you will her to be this strong girl but she keeps pulling this poor me routine, her life was a lie, she was abandoned, she grew up in the woods away from her family. Thank God Prince Phillip is there to throw in his point of view, growing up as a royal isn't everything either.

My final book was Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I loved this book, I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't this; and that's not a bad thing either. What I enjoyed the most about this aside from the whole thing is her relationship with Zuanna. Their friendship is so believable, even if Zuannas over the top personality isn't. Although Karou never technically lies to anyone, flashing that smile she has and everyone shrugs off the weird things and chalks it up to it just being Karou. And Zuanna is like that too, but everyone has a breaking point and pushes the issues. Where does she go, what are these errands Karou is always disappearing on?? There is only so much a friendship can take until a smile no longer makes the cut. It's hard to talk about this book without giving anything away. Two worlds, one consisting of Angels and part human part animal, the other the world as we know it. Both as real and as the other.

review 2017-03-25 15:50
Moo Book Review
Moo - Sharon Creech

Okay. so this is very engaging and a quick read. I loved the story, I loved the characters and felt we really got to feel what the main character and family was going through in their move to Maine.

Told in verse, Reena and her family have to move to Maine when her parents lose their jobs. They are moving from a city to a country farm in the middle of nowhere and her life is going to change. Then they have to "work" for grumpy old, Mrs. Falala where they meet the eccentric Zora, the cow.

My biggest complaint is to what poetry and verse is becoming today. This could easily have been written as a regular book.

Breaking up

sentences like

this does not

make it poetry.

And that's really all the "verses" were in this book. But otherwise, I did really enjoy the book. And will absolutely recommend it.

review 2017-03-25 14:21
Anna and the Swallow Man Book Review
Anna and the Swallow Man - Gavriel Savit

I dunno, this is just not my kind of book. I read it and gave up on it a few months ago then I decided to do it on audio and I did finish it I just don't like the storyline. I found the plot very strange and am still not sure what the point of the book is.

Its one of those books that may be well written but is hard to sell, middle schoolers will most likely be bored (though the character is their age) and I think teens won't be interested. I'm 27 and found it confusing. There didn't seem to be a clear ending to it either.

That being said, it has very good reviews so you may feel the complete opposite as I do about this one. Its just not my style.

review 2017-03-24 15:50
Every Last Word Book Review
Every Last Word - Tamara Ireland Stone

I enjoyed this, and really liked the aspect of having a main character with OCD. I thought the author portrayed this character very well as I could really feel her anxiety and stress over keeping her disability a secret from her friends.

Samantha has been a part of the popular kids for some time, but they don't really know who she is. They have no idea she suffers from OCD. So when she befriends Caroline she gets into Poet's Corner and it changes everything, from who she is to who her friends might be.

This is one of the better books dealing with mental illness in YA and something I would recommend to others looking for those type of books. Three stars mainly because its not something totally memorable or my overall genre.