logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-25 14:36
King's Cage Book Review
King's Cage (Red Queen) - Victoria Aveyard

Probably more of a 3.5/5 stars. While I still enjoyed this one, and it was my most anticipated read of the years (other than the next ACOMF) I can't help but feel this might be my least favorite in the series. That being said it still has some explosive scenes and I still love this series.

King's Cage picks up right where Glass Sword left off. Mare is in Maven's clutches after being betrayed. She's beaten down and has no more freedom. All the while war is getting bigger and bigger between the Red's and the Silvers. While Cal will do anything to save Mare from Maven.

This is a long one folks. And it felt long for me, unlike the first two. And I wish it was a trilogy, but there's a book four. So another year to wait to find out what happens to these beloved characters. The ending wasn't as big of a bang as Glass Sword, but I am still very much looking to read the rest of this series.

review 2017-02-25 14:28
Allegedly Book Review
Allegedly - Tiffany D. Jackson

Allegedly is dark and gritty and its so good. Its definitely not my comfort zone in reading genre's but I really loved it. It is one of those books that really make you think.

Mary killed her baby sister when she was nine years old, allegedly. That's what the media and the detectives spun it out to be, even though Mary never said she did it. But how do you convict a nine year old? Now sixteen, Mary has grown up in a rough life from foster home to foster home. She just wish the truth would come out.

I think the ending was a tad bit disappointing. Though, albeit more realistic than not. I felt terrible for Mary throughout the entire book, the way her mother treats her, the way her foster house is. Its hard to read about, especially knowing that kids do go through the system like this.

If you're looking for a realistic but dark story dealing with murder, foster homes and growing up in a tough life, Allegedly really nails it on the head.

review 2017-02-23 13:55
Unexpected Obsession (The Unexpected Series #1) by Barbara Strickland
Unexpected Obsession - Barbara Strickland

syns

Tragedy takes Lia from Sydney to Sicily. Her father’s last wishes were to re-unite his estranged family. Lia finds herself pitted against the formidable Nico who has no interest in reconciling the past. He is a man who needs to control every aspect of life around him, and is unprepared for Lia’s spirit and determination. Can obsession and an overwhelming chemistry become more for Nico and Lia, or will it pull them apart?

my though

2 ½ ★

This book was a rather up and down for me. While there was plenty I liked there were also a few things that I didn’t. I did enjoy the story and the world setting, Italy with all his charm. I also enjoyed the characters, their background and story line. While I enjoyed all these things at the same time I had a hard time to connect to them at the same time. It was a constant back and forth, likening them or not. I think some of it had to do with that some things went into great detail while others were not, that often left them a little flat or a 2 dimensional. That went for characters as well as situations happening. Also for a copy that came straight from Amazon, it had quite a few errors in it, spelling and grammar. While I’m sure that has been corrected by now, it took away from the flow of reading. I think an extra run through the editor or so before publishing it would have helped with that. Overall I thought the story was nice and I enjoyed it, but the character and the structure could have used little more refining.

I rate this 2 ½ ★ but think maybe someone else might even love it.

*I received a free copy from the author and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Abouttheauth

Barbara Strickland

Barbara Strickland is currently living in Townsville in Australia's tropical north. Originally from Sydney of Italian parentage she has a Bachelor of Education, and would love the time to work on a Diploma in TESOL. Teaching English as a second language coincides with her love of travel. Fortunate enough, to have three grown-up children who encourage her to express herself, she is free to follow her dreams. More travel one day but at present she is more likely found working on her Unexpected Series where she combine her love of romance with the places she has seen. The rest of the time she likes reading, blogging and ballroom dancing. She has four ambitions. She would like to publish her books, travel, learn to speak at least three other languages, and own a cat with blue eyes. (And a dog but has to find a bigger place to live first)

Links

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/unexpected-obsession-unexpected-series-1-barbara-strickland
review 2017-02-22 21:25
The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01 by Mizue Tani
The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 - Ayuko,Mizue Tani

When I was younger, I used to read manga all the time. In fact, it was the only thing I read for many years of my youth. However, getting older, I have fallen out of the habit of reading manga on a regular basis. It has been a very long time since I've read manga and I've been trying to get back into it. So when my partner came home with the first volume of The Earl and the Fairy she borrowed from work, I decided to give it a read. I have to say it's not a bad read.

I liked the simplistic feel to the story. You can literally just pick it up and fall into the story quite easily. The story is not convoluted to the point you don't understand what the fairies's roles are or how the myths of these fairies are interwoven into the actual plot of the story. And even though not everything is revealed from the get-go, it's not difficult to follow along with the characters.

Speaking of characters, I do feel like they were on the weaker side. The main character, Lydia, falls under a lot of tropes you tend to find in shoujo manga. She's supposed to be "tough" and takes "no nonsense" from the male lead, but she ultimately ends up doing whatever he tells her to do because she's "sweet and naive." The male lead, Edgar, tries to come off as charming and caring but he still manipulates Lydia every chance he gets. Mind you, he DOES acknowledge that what he's doing is wrong, but that still doesn't excuse the behavior. And even though I feel like the characters were not this manga's strongest point, it did leave me feeling that there's room for growth and I do think we shall see that growth in later volumes. I do have hope for that.

Lastly, the art wasn't anything special. It's very typical "cutesy" style with Lydia having pretty flowing hair and big eyes, whilst Edgar is all "broody" and "mysterious" and has darker tones to his outfits. I will say the outfits to the characters are very beautiful. It's not a bad art style, it's just a style I've seen before.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good read. It's harmless fun with interesting lore that, I'm sure will get explored more along with the characters' growth. I really did like what I read and I'm not opposed to reading the next volume. However, I won't go out of my way to read it right away either. If this sounds like your sort of manga, then go right ahead and pick it up. It's a pretty fast, simple read.

review 2017-02-22 19:20
Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine by Kelly Sue DeConnick
Bitch Planet Volume 1 - Kelly Sue DeConnick,Robert Wilson IV,Valentine De Landro

Bitch Planet is one of those graphic novels everyone seems to recommend. And I can see why! It's about a group of women who are deemed "disobedient" from the male-dominated government and are sent to a distant prison planet called "Bitch Planet" to be "straightened out." There they have to do what they're told if they hope to survive. But the main group of women we follow are definitely not keen on such a notion. Then, obviously, rebellion ensues.

I first heard of Bitch Planet through BookTube. When I heard so many people talking about how feminist and inclusive it was, I had to give it a read. And I'm so glad I did! The entire first volume is incredible! The art is gorgeous! It's very colorful when it wants to be and gritty when it has to be. I love the character designs the most! All the women have different body shapes, skin color, and sexual orientations. I love the diversity within these pages and the women portrayed therein.

The plot itself is so intriguing. I want to know what our characters are going to do now that they are within this prison. We got to see some background stories for a couple of characters. I love Penny's background story the most. It's tragic, yes, but it helps the reader understand who she is as a person. It helps the reader understand some of the actions she chooses to make. I love her so much. I love ALL the characters so much! Well... except the ones we're supposed to hate... I don't like them as much.

And that's all I'm going to say about it! Read this graphic novel! It's fun, engaging, intersectional feminism, daring, and intriguing! However, this is for a very mature audience. There's violence, nudity, sexual content, and gore. But if you're okay with that sort of content, then I highly recommend you pick up this graphic novel. It's filled with a diverse cast of women trying to make it in a world that refuses to allow women to be themselves. It's a fantastic read.