logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-20 23:25
Heavy metal horror masterpiece that is sure to become a cult classic; another hit from Grady Hendrix
We Sold Our Souls - Grady Hendrix

‘We Sold Our Souls’ is one HELL of a ride. Grady Hendrix, King of horror at Quirk Books, has written a heavy metal masterpiece with a female lead guitarist, Kris Pulaski, as its star.
Less classic horror this time (his previous books are ‘Horrorstör’, and ‘My Best Friend’s Exorcism’), Hendrix has laden ‘Souls’ with conspiracy theory and real life horrors.

Kris Pulaski was in a heavy metal band called Dürt Würk two decades ago and they were on the brink of success when the lead singer Terry Hunt ripped the band apart and left to start his solo career. And it seems Terry’s rise to success was at the cost of selling the band’s souls.
That’s right, he sold their souls for rock’n’roll…or in this case, heavy metal.

Kris’ pitiful present day existence is working at the reception of a Best Western, and if you can stomach the ‘Welcome To Hell’ chapter (good horror always comes at the cost of reading things that make your stomach turn), then you can follow Kris on her journey as she gets whisked from Pennsylvania to a Satanic rehab center, and then across the country again to grimy Las Vegas. Years of grueling, crazy, exciting, challenging (to say the least), and often nasty experiences on the road with the band, were nothing compared to this trip, and it seems like all Kris’ heavy metal years were preparation and toughened her up. The journey to Las Vegas is overwhelming, but Kris has a mission she can’t ignore. There’s also a whole host of colorful characters along the way, but I do have to wonder if Hendrix has a thing against UPS (you will see what I mean when you read the book).

The greatest thing about this book is that Hendrix has chosen to write ‘Souls’ with a female protagonist. Not just that: a kickass, middle-aged (even though I hate that word, because that’s what I am now, I suppose), female as its lead. And she plays the guitar like a certain other Hendrix. She doesn’t take any bull from anyone and doesn’t stop fighting back once she starts on her new road trip.

While it seems as though she has given up with her hotel job, the revelation that she must stop her old bandmate Terry Hunt, lights a fire in Kris, and the book has that vibe of ‘don’t give up, don’t let the system win, don’t let the bullies push you’. That’s highly clear in the messages of conspiracy theory, our paranoia-laden country, and how culture is selling itself (its soul) particularly out to cell phones and shallow marketing. Reading the book will give you a greater sense of the way the conspiracy theory works in ‘Souls’ - I’m kind of at a loss as how to explain the genius behind how it’s woven in - but Hendrix has cleverly used snippets of radio and newspaper to show how ‘news’ travels and information spreads. This has always been the way conspiracy theories spread and this underbelly of the book is fascinating.

If you don’t know all the music in the book, this may be a little daunting, as there are a lot of heavy metal and music references, but I think if you have even the remote interest in or knowledge of decades old music such as Black Sabbath and Slayer, and remember the days when everyone thought that heavy metal listeners were devil worshipers, you will appreciate what Hendrix is doing here (and no you don’t have to actually like the music). Trigger warnings for sexual assault and creepy crawlies; this is definitely rated R.

Hendrix is an undeniable force in pop culture literature and has written an unforgettable book, one that’s not for everyone, but will be a cult classic, but not like any of the schlock he writes about in his awesome ‘Paperbacks from Hell’. No one writes like this guy; ‘We Sold Our Souls’ is funny, gross, complex, and a wonderful blend of horror, pop culture, conspiracy theory, and is infused with a heavy dose of music history. Only Grady Hendrix could have done that.

**I'm really lucky because this Friday I get to meet Grady here in Seattle at his book signing and I get to have my big stack of books signed.

*Kudos to Doogie Horner again, for another excellent book cover design for Grady. It's worth noting that the hardcover of this book has beautiful black ink-sprayed pages.

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/37715859-we-sold-our-souls
review 2018-09-20 15:32
Review: The Darkest Star by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Darkest Star - Jennifer L. Armentrout

When seventeen-year-old Evie Dasher is caught up in a raid at a notorious club known as one of the few places where humans and the surviving Luxen can mingle freely, she meets Luc, an unnaturally beautiful guy she initially assumes is a Luxen...but he is in fact something much more powerful. Her growing attraction for Luc will lead her deeper and deeper into a world she'd only heard about, a world where everything she thought she knew will be turned on its head...

#1 New York Times, USA Today, and internationally bestselling author Jennifer L. Armentrout returns to the universe of the Lux in this brand new series, featuring beloved characters both new and old.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

I love Jennifer L. Armentrout’s work and I loved the Lux series. So this book was a must read for me. I was super excited excited to dive back into the lux world. You don’t have to have read the Lux books in order to read this one but I would recommend it, not only are they great but it will help you with past events and or people. But again, it is not necessary in order to read this book.

That being said, sadly I didn’t love as much as I thought I would, it was not horrible by any means, but it also was not the best she has written. The good,  it had plenty of action and humor, we get from her books. Loved the banter we got between Luc and Evie, most of the time, there were a few times it just seemed forced or over the top. It also had its suspense and defiantly kept you asking for more and wanting to find out, who ,what and why….And of course there is the romance, which also had its up and downs. We see some lovely and familiar faces again and it was great. But also meet some pretty great new people.

Luc, it has been a few years since we saw him last but he is still the funny dude we met way back when. Just all grown up. Or well almost ……. And for the most part I liked him, funny, cocky and willing protect those around him. Now that includes Evie.  Sometime now with Evie he had his moments, that more than anything made me roll my eye, not so much him as them together. Evie, it is clear from the beginning that there is more to her and it takes a bit before we get there but I must say I was just like “ oh okay…..” not shocked or anything it was just hmm okay. Maybe that was because, I was not her biggest fan and she annoyed me a lot of times. She often just came over as whiny more than anything. The romance sometimes seemed to be taking over the story but it all came back around.

For me, the whole narrative came over as very young or naiveish ?! IF that is a word lol. I know it is YA, but so was the Lux series but that by any means did not seem that young/ and or teen angst written as this book.

So overall, we get a teen angst insta love/lust teen drama but that is also wonderfully connected to the world we read and loved. In a weird way I couldn’t quit. I was often annoyed with it but also couldn’t put it down.

So the verdict.  I give it 3★, I didn’t love it and I didn’t hate, it was just in the middle somewhere. That being said though I most likely will get book two to see how it continues.

Related image

Buy Links

Will be available  October 30th,2018, pre-order now

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/09/20/review-the-darkest-star-origin-1-by-jennifer-l-armentrout
review 2018-09-20 06:38
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Princess Bride: An Illustrated Edition of S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure - William Goldman,Michael Manomivibul

I did not think I would have to start this review with a trigger warning, of all books, but here we are. Trigger Warning: Suicide (There is a line in this that really rubbed me the wrong way.) Fat shaming a child.

---

About the suicide, the line is "She had never seriously contemplated suicide before. Oh, of course she’d thought about it; every girl does from time to time. But never seriously. To her quiet surprise, she found it was going to be the easiest thing in the world."

Every girl does? What is that even supposed to mean? This line makes suicide sound like a silly fad, a phase that "every" girl goes through, but only when she is feeling emotional.

Every few chapters, the author, William Goldman (who is pretending not to be the author) breaks the fourth wall and talks about his life and why he cut this and that from the "original" novel. In a lot of these fourth wall breaking segments, he talks about his "fat" son and "cold" wife, he even talks about almost being tempted to cheat on his wife. I get that he is trying to go for a style and pass this novel off as something some great S. Morgenstern wrote, but what is the point in talking so horrible about your son and wife? Is that really how you treated your family? Please tell me those parts were fiction, too.

I skipped the last part "Buttercup's Baby." So in that sense, I DNF'd this book. This is a rare case where the movie is better. Oh sure, I liked this book. It had the same heart as the movie, but Goldman's interruptions really ruined my enjoyment. I don't think I want to read anything else by him.

Don't fat shame your children, please. Don't body shame, in general! This line comes from the book: "Oh. Daddy, I'm ugly and I've got no friends and all the girls laugh at me and make fun because I'm so fat."
I had to blink back tears myself -- because it was all true, y'see." (Goldman talking to his son.) Why is this even relevant to The Princess Bride? I don't get it! This is gross. Just gross.

I have a bad relationship with food because all through my childhood, my stepdad mocked my weight, doctors put me on diet pills at 16...etc. Guess what, I look back and I wasn't even obese, bigger than the average kid my age, maybe, but not big enough for diet pills, or big enough to "diet". What is "too big" and what is normal? As a child, I shouldn't have been thinking I was wrong because I had a few more pounds than other classmates. Now I'm an adult with body image issues, weight "problems", depression, anxiety and I always put myself down, hate on myself.

Thinness does not equal happiness. Fatness does not equal sadness. Goldman said that now his son is ripped and gorgeous and now he is popular. What kind of message does this send to anyone?

Also, I want to point out, I did not really care about the way Fezzik is treated as not smart just because he is a large guy.

Sorry I went on a rant here.

review 2018-09-19 21:29
Review: The Mime Order (The Bone Season #2) by Samantha Shannon
The Mime Order - Samantha Shannon

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal prison camp of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the survivors are missing and she is the most wanted person in London . . . As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city's gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take center stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner. Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided.

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

4 ½★

I really don’t know why it took me so long to finish this awesome book. I really don’t. Though I should say that I shouldn’t have waited so long between book one and two since the world building is rather complex it would have just made it a bit easier.

This book a bit different than the last, we get a lot more of the underground and the different gangs and how they work and what all makes the gears turn. Also the character’s growth and development was fantastic. There is so much depth and so many layers to them, their relationships. Which with the awesome world building made you feel like you right there with them.

Paige grew so much in this book I thought and she did not shy away from stuff when things or people seemed to work against her, she just regrouped and found another way. While complicated, very much so actually, I enjoyed her and Jaxon working more or less together. Also enjoyed him a lot, even with all his errors and flaws, but he also had a lot of good qualities to him.

Warden. Yes we see him again and I really liked him but I must say while I enjoy him and I enjoy Paige, and them working together I’m not crazy about them as a couple. Not sure why but just something that puts me off to that idea.

Hmm, I’m not sure what else to say and not spoil it for other people. So I will just make it short.

I loved this book, it had a great pacing and always wanted to make to turn tro the next page, it also always kept me on the edge of my seat and I was speechless a few times. There are quite the few twists and turns and the end was just… I don’t even know … I sort if saw it coming but then not at all.

So be prepared for a cliffhanger that will make you want to scream. Overall, this is a pretty complex world to get used to at first but once you are in you will love it and it is sooo worth it . Also there are glossary at the end of both book one and two to help you along.

If you like fantasy I would most defiantly give this a try.

I rate this book 4 ½ ★

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/09/19/review-the-mime-order-the-bone-season-2-by-samantha-shannon
review 2018-09-19 05:11
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

It's been such a difficult time this year when it comes to reading. So many things have gotten in the way of what I had planned but that's okay. I'm still reading and I'm reading good books on top of that! The Perks of Being a Wallflower is no exception! I thoroughly enjoyed this book, even though it was a difficult one to read. There are some heavy themes throughout the book, which I will get to in a bit, that really destroys the reader. However difficult it was, I really do think that this book is important to read.

The story follows "Charlie" and his experiences as he enters high school. We don't know if that's his true name, we don't know who anyone in the story really is. We are just there to listen and experience his life with him. And as simple as this story is, the themes themselves are not. There's drug abuse, child abuse, rape, homophobia, and violence. If these themes are not something you're comfortable reading, then you might want to skip this one. Otherwise, I do think it's worth reading.

The writing is very basic and compliments Charlie as a character. His way of thinking is simple, blunt, to the point. He also starts off with his thoughts very scattered and as the book progresses and he sorts out his thoughts, the writing, too, becomes smooth. I actually really like how Chbosky used that as a writing device. It was fantastic to read and I loved reading from Charlie's perspective. He's sweet but flawed and even when he became upset and his thoughts became scattered, he was still a delight to read from.

The side characters were interesting as well. Patrick, a friend of Charlie's, is such a wonderful person. He's funny, sweet, charming, and one of my favorite people in the book. Sam, another friend of Charlie's, looks out for him and cares for him whilst working hard on trying to change her life for the better. I actually really like how the characters are all going through their own thing and are trying to make something of themselves. It was realistic and painful.

I really like this book. It's raw, painful, joyful. and beautiful. I do recommend you give this book a shot if you're interested in learning what these characters go through. It's quite a read.