logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-23 21:41
Strange the Dreamer book review...
Strange the Dreamer - Laini Taylor

I think I'm in the minority here with not exactly loving this one. I listened to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and thoroughly enjoyed that one. While the writing in Strange the Dreamer is quite gorgeous I found myself somewhat bored. Maybe listening to the audio would have helped? I'm not sure. It took me several weeks to read, partly because I've been busy and partly because it just put me in a reading slump. I still love this author and am looking forward to more by her but I probably won't read the next one in this series.

review 2017-06-23 20:06
How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back (White Trash Zombie, #4) by Diana Rowland
How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back - Diana Rowland

My journey through the White Trash Zombie series continues with the fourth installment called How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back. I'm going to start off by saying that I did not enjoy this book as much as I did the others. To me, this is definitely the weakest book in the series. With that being said, I did still enjoy reading this book.

Diana Rowland is still an incredible writer. She still has that same conversational style to her writing that I adore so much. I still feel like I am hearing a story from a close friend about her adventures and shenanigans. It's such a fun writing style that I cannot see myself ever getting tired of. Rowland's story this time around felt a bit forced, though. I felt like every bad thing that could happen, did happen. And, to me, that's just creating "tension" for no reason. Angel got shot and stabbed and almost raped and it felt too much. It just felt as if Rowland just wanted every horrible thing to happen in this book which made nothing feel authentic.

And speaking of Angel, she was a lot more careless and stupid in this book. I know she has the reputation of being a screw-up, but she was more so in this one than she was in the first book. For example, there's this one scene (I won't specify because of spoilers) where she outed someone as a zombie. Really? You know that you can't have a lot of people knowing about zombies and here you are just "casually" letting it slip. Not to mention she just kept telling other people about there being zombies because she "couldn't see another way." Pretty soon the whole world is going to know about zombies!

Last thing I want to mention is the ending. Throughout the whole book we are getting hints that something is happening to Angel and I do not like the direction is going. It gives me the impression that the next book is going to focus on this aspect of Angel's life and depending on how it's handle, it could be really good or bad. I hope it's the former because as of right now, I am not too happy about it.

I know I made it sound like I did not enjoy this book, but I really did. I really like the fun tone to the whole series. I love all of the characters because they are all so loud and don't care what others think of them and I love everything about that. However, I do think that, as a reader, you should be able to critique the books you like.

Do I recommend this book? Yeah! If you read all three previous books, then continue reading the series because it's so good and fun despite its flaws. It's still a very adult series. There's swear words, violence, gore, sexual assault, and drug use so keep that in mind when reading. But it really is worth the read, even if this particular book is not as strong as the others.

review 2017-06-23 14:52
The Life and Death of Martha Washington
The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-first Century (Second Edition) - Dave Gibbons,Angus McKie,Frank Miller

The first time I read Give Me Liberty, it was in the late 1990s. I was working as a sales assistant in a comic specialty shop and the owner had actual copies of single issues of a very hard to find mini-series. It blew me away after I read it and I never thought how beautiful Martha Washington was, that strong female leads do make a difference then. It was then, I did not follow up any of its sequels... until the release of The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century was released, a complete chronicles of her life since birth until death.

Re-reading Give Me Liberty was so refreshing. If there is any thing about Martha Washington that she was born in 1995 in a ghetto so poor, that the US government housed these poor people into what was meant to be a social welfare but turns out to be a prison. From there, we get to know how smart she is with computers. Right up to the 21st century, the world that we know of is different. Its a different Earth and its a mess-up one. But do not get me wrong, I love how the creation of this universe is and with Martha Washington in it, you will understand what Give Me Liberty really means.

After the first series, the sequels came in (Martha Washington Goes To War, Happy Birthday Martha Washington, Martha Washington Stranded in Space, Martha Washington Saves The World & Martha Washington Dies) and what was a brilliant created universe from Frank Miller and beautifully drawn by Dave Gibbons, the same award-winning creators of DC's The Watchmen, every thing just felt spiraling down hill. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some bits and pieces of it. I can see the evolution of change in the art from the earlier days of when Give Me Liberty was published in 1990. It was much later that I felt the consistency and the beauty of the art was gone. Same goes for the sequels that felt more like fillers. Until towards the end, was it a fitting ending? Well, to me it already felt what was kept as a universe that is messed-up truly stays true and that is more than enough to enjoy reading it.

Martha Washington is a strong female character that truly is a rarity at that time for female leads in the comic industry then. She was the Ellen Ripley of the Alien universe - strong, brave and justifiable. Besides Wonder Woman, Martha Washington was the only female comic book character that do stands out because of her beliefs and what was written the experience and journey she went through. As the rest of the characters, not many of them stayed long. I always wonder what happen to Raggyann and it was not explained. Still, I am glad I found a copy of this and able to read her whole journey. Thank you Frank Miller & Dave Gibbons for creating such a wonderful series. Without you guys, change will never happen and Martha Washington shows us that change and righting wrong is what hope is.

review 2017-06-21 17:12

Release Date: February 21, 2017
Reviewed by : Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Publisher: Loose-ID

4 stars ARC

Blindfolds, bondage, board meetings. All in a day's work for Noah Dorian, co-owner of Hilltops, an exclusive club for those who like a bit of spice.

Enter Jordin Turner, a psychology student who is doing research on the BDSM lifestyle.

Noah agrees to provide her with information via telephone but when she comes to the club for an observation, his world is turned upside down. Jordin is strong, confident, intelligent, and beautiful; traits he has never seen packaged together in a woman he likeshttp://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-for-destiny-by-faith-starr.html this much. He's always guarded his heart, but Jordin makes him want to open his heart and free himself from his demons.

Jordin has had her fair share of heartache, including an ex who made her doubt herself. Especially in the bedroom. Noah's dominant nature gives her a chance to change that. His desire and his dominance help her break the chains that hold her back.

Noah and Jordin. Sometimes love is destiny.

“You don’t have to argue every point. I’m simply making my own observations.” Why did his breath have to smell as good as the rest of him? It was almost hypnotic, if not tempting every fiber in my being to lean forward to see if he tasted as good as he smelled. Damn Noah Dorian. “That’s supposed to be my job.” Oh my gosh. I sounded like a schoolgirl with a childhood crush, giggling stupidly. “Yes, it is, but I’m having a rather good time doing your job too.” “Why’re you doing this, Noah?” Confusion filled me. I was a little light-headed in addition to the other slew of symptoms having a field day inside me. He was pretty much suffocating me with his charm and good looks. “All I’m doing is pointing out to you that you don’t always have to keep yourself so tightly wound. Sometimes it’s nice to let loose.” “And what’re you implying?” “I’m merely suggesting that you allow me to bring some of your curiosity to life.” Say what? “You mean like mentor me in BDSM? Sorry, but I’m not a bow down, please and thank you, Sir, type of a woman.” Reality check! It was time to dodge this bullet. Unfortunately, it was somewhat impossible since he had me caged between his strong arms. “I’m not so sure about that. Besides, you’ll never know unless you try.” “I’m sorry if I’ve given you the wrong impression, Noah. I think maybe I should go.” I needed air. I needed to get out of this room. I needed Noah Dorian. That’s what I needed.

I couldn’t take it anymore. My dick could only behave for so long. My poor impulse control and I pushed her against the car, tasting those succulent lips again. Something I couldn’t stop thinking about. Luckily, her mouth voluntarily welcomed my tongue. I could only imagine what else it could do to her luscious body. “Because I know you feel it too.” Her eyes blinked several times as they stared into mine, her breaths jagged between her slightly parted lips. That was all the reassurance I needed to know she would be there on Saturday night. I backed away and took her hand in mine, suddenly with more pep in my stride. I walked her to her car and made sure she got in safely, her wittiness taking a hike and replaced with desire. Her eyes had hunger in them, and I knew exactly how to feed it. This woman had no clue how fucking sexy she was. I intended to make that concept very well known to her. She looked up at me and almost whispered her good-bye, her lips swollen and begging for more. I leaned down and slid my hand into her hair, tilting her chin upward so I could have one more taste to hold me over until the weekend. To my surprise, she fisted my hair desperately. I planted a gentle kiss on her lips to find her almost panting when I pulled away. I released my hold on her and smiled. “Good night, Jordin.” It took all the self-control I had to walk away after the kiss. My dick ached, wanting to blow, but it wasn’t something I couldn’t take care of later.

Lets start off by saying that I really enjoyed our first read by this author.I liked the characters as they were fun and interesting.Noah and Jordin were such opposites yet their relationship worked even though they had a few hiccups along the way.

I always pick a favorite character in a story in this time around its going to be Jordin although Noah follows closely.I found Jordin to be bright,charming,shy,intelligent ,insecure, but she also had fire and passion within her.

Jordin meets Noah as she has asked Noah who own a sex club to help her collect information on the bdsm lifestyle to write her dissertation for school in order to graduate to become a therapist. Jordin chose this subject because she wanted to understand more and gather more insight in order to consul abused women. I loved Jordin she was so out of her element,nervous, shy, intimidated and an innocent to boot but when it came to observing the scenes throughout the club in order to learn Noah is the one who caused all her flutters and uneasiness not the scenes themselves. Jordin's attraction to Noah and him to her was apparent from the start and their chemistry was hot as hell.I loved how she opened up and blossomed throughout the story creating many firsts and new experiences for herself  doing this in baby steps she was growing more confident. Jordin surprised me the most though she had just the same hang ups as every other women does and those self insecurities but never really applied the logic to herself as she did her patients .Noah is the one who helped her overcome most of her insecurities and I loved that most about him

Noah definitely was a man of many layers.He had much more depth to him that I even thought was possible about him and I loved discovering more and more about him as the story progressed he really was a tender love and caring soul.I found Noah to be many things but loved that he was confident yet sensitive.Noah's attraction with Jordin has him tied up in knots from the onset.I loved how Jordin has him feeling things and experiencing a lot of firsts himself.Noah is such and experienced man in and out of the bedroom he has lived the lifestyle an has enjoyed it but it doesn't dominate his life .I loved this about him the most as Jordin is all about vanilla and yet he still peruses her with a passion.I loved his patience and kindness that he showed Jordin and those around him.I loved seeing this side of him as he definitely liked to be in charge and loved to dominate but never saw being tender or kind as a weakness.I fell in loved with him a little bit myself especially when he walked through the facility that his brother was staying at and he took the time to have a kind word with each and every patient he came in contact with along the way to see his brother. He put a smile on all those patients faces.He was definitely swoon worthy!

A really enjoyable story that was a learning experience for both characters who fell for one another and yet just what the other needs to make them whole.I enjoyed the chemistry these characters had as I really thought they made a cute an amazing couple together and I was glad that they found their way to one another even though their journey wasn't always a easy one.

I love when you can connect with the characters you read about and I was able to that in this story .I loved when that happens when you like your character so much from the onset that you know its going to be a good enjoyable story for you.

I looking forward to reading other stories by this author as she creates them.

4 stars from us

When she's not managing her husband’s medical practice or taking care of her three kids, Faith Starr loves writing erotic romance fiction. Faith is passionate about putting herself into the minds of her characters, giving them a life of their own with all of the emotions that go along with it. She is head over heels in love with each and every alpha male she creates and the confident women who steal their hearts. Faith has found her passion writing in the romance genre. Creating heartfelt love stories has become key in giving her inner spirit the creative outlet it desires. She is a hopeless romantic, with a little spice, who truly believes in the “Once Upon a Time” and “Happily Ever After” ending.

You can find Angels Here !

review 2017-06-20 20:23
Review: Dark Water by Parker Bilal
Dark Water (The Makana Mysteries) - Parker Bilal

When an Englishman, Marcus Winslow, appears at Makana's door one April morning, Makana does not realize that he will soon risk losing everything he has built for himself in Cairo. Winslow represents the British government--meaning the Secret Intelligence Service--and he has a special mission to offer, one that Makana cannot resist: Ayoub Hadari, a dangerous specialist in biochemical nerve agents, is on the run and asking for asylum. The only person who can bring him in is Makana--by Ayoub's own request. Ayoub has gone underground in Istanbul and Makana, for the first time since arriving in Egypt, must travel abroad, to a city he doesn't know. Can he trust Marcus Winslow? Or is something more sinister in the works? In this foreign city, Makana soon realizes that nothing is what it appears to be. Suddenly, his past is racing to catch up with him, and Makana becomes both hunter and hunted.

This is book six in the Makana series but the first book I read. I think while it can be read as a standalone, it would have been easier and more enjoyable if I had read the previous books. That being said I had no real idea of what I’m getting into. The world setting is good and easy to understand and very well described. Sometimes a little over described. The same goes for the characters. I had a hard time to relate Makana at times but I think that could have been because I have not rad the previous books. I thought for a crime-mystery it also was very political and various views of politics and foreign affairs and even terrorism comes up. It was rather suspenseful and I never knew what would come next which I enjoyed. Some parts seemed a bit dense but overall it was a good read. It was something I would have never picked up myself but ended up enjoying.

I rate it 3 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Will be available July 11th 2017

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Parker Bilal

Parker Bilal is the pseudonym of Jamal Mahjoub. Mahjoub has published seven critically acclaimed literary novels, which have been widely translated. Born in London, he has lived at various times in the UK, Sudan, Cairo and Denmark. He currently lives in Barcelona.

Links