logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-22 17:13
Erinyes by George Saoulidis (2016 Review)
Erinyes - George Saoulidis

Erinyes by George Saoulidis
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Egotistical Mahi is beyond ecstatic when she's presented with a new phone by her father; it's top of the line and a new model, one that offers tech never yet seen before. However unbeknownst to the selfie-loving youth, there's more to the phone than meets the eye.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to George Saoulidis for giving me the opportunity!

Initially the synopsis caught my eye when I was first directed to this novella; it sounded like just what I wanted at the time - a creepy tale, something to pull me in and keep me entertained. In this case, it was of a frightening Greek deity stalking her victim through phone selfies (of all things, but why not?), perhaps even escalating to increasingly terrifying events, or at least that's what I expected. I was optimistic, very much so, however the execution proved less than thrilling and failed to induce the desired effects; irritation rather than fear, boredom rather than interest. I'm being brutally honest here, in that I didn't consider it a finished work, but rather a draft piece that could've been largely improved upon.

Indeed technology has become a very significant aspect of life, and I'm sure it'll continue to evolve and play a major role in everything we do, but due to the main characters obsessive and downright unhealthy attitude toward social media, I found it difficult to read her narrative. I even questioned; are the adolescents of today really like this, or is this merely an exaggeration? Do underage girls continuously post pictures of themselves for the attention of older men, and depend upon "likes" for their happiness?

It's sad, because I know the answer. All I have to do is take a look at Facebook, or some other similar website.

Mahi was such a dislikeable person. Utterly childish, painfully narcissistic and ridiculously naive, I didn't come to care for her at all. I'm all for teenagers as main protagonists, but when they're portrayed in such a way that makes me want to gouge my eyes out, then I know there's very little that can save the book in terms of my enjoyment. As for the few other characters (her two friends, mostly), they left little impression and ultimately added very little overall.

I feel that with some proper editing and development upon the storytelling, then perhaps this could've been a decent read. As it was, it lacked the build-up of tension and anything remotely eerie. The plot and ending could've been more fleshed out; the ending itself was abrupt and offered no closure. I can't say, even if I had of liked the story, that I would've been satisfied with the conclusion. No questions were answered (what did the phone have to do with anything?), and all in all, it was disappointing.

In conclusion: Like many indie works I read these days, it suffers from grammatical errors and has an unfinished feel to it. I deeply disliked the main character and I feel she had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It could've been improved greatly with a little TLC, but otherwise I consider this not my type of book.

© Red Lace 2016

Wordpress ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter

Source: redlace.reviews/2018/05/22/erinyes-by-george-saoulidis-2016-review
review 2018-05-22 15:54
Review: A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Frost and Starlight - Sarah J. Maas

Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve.

Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court

Most people who follow my reviews know that I LOVE Sarah J Maas and that she can do no wrong to me …. Or so I thought. I was really looking forward to this book since I was in a desperate need of my Rhysand fix.

Of course, once I got the book, I dove right into but quickly realized it is not the same. It was pretty slow and kind of boring as we pretty much follow Rhysand, Feyre and gang follow as they prepare for the Winter Solstice and recalling time since we left them in the last book.  The book felt a bit forced to me, too many thing to little time but mostly forced and r rushed I can’t really decided but I think a bit both.

Also I didn’t really like that it switched POV from first to third person. We get Rhysand and Feye in first person and Cassian and Mor in third person, which kind of interrupted the flow of the book for me. But that is maybe just me and most people don’t mind it.

The book did pick up and we did get plenty of Rhys and Feyre smexy time and a good amount of out favorite fae lord lol.

Overall, I enjoyed it plenty just not as much as I thought I would.

I rate it 3★ and I’m really looking forward to the next main/spin-off book.

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/05/22/review-a-court-of-frost-and-starlight-a-court-of-thorns-and-roses-3-1-by-sarah-j-maas
review 2018-05-21 21:29
Review: True North (True Born Trilogy #2) by L.E. Sterling
True North - L.E. Sterling

It’s not you…it’s your DNA. Abandoned by her family in Plague-ridden Dominion City, eighteen-year-old Lucy Fox has no choice but to rely upon the kindness of the True Borns, a renegade group of genetically enhanced humans, to save her twin sister, Margot. But Nolan Storm, their mysterious leader, has his own agenda. When Storm backtracks on his promise to rescue Margot, Lucy takes her fate into her own hands and sets off for Russia with her True Born bodyguard and maybe-something-more, the lethal yet beautiful Jared Price. In Russia, there’s been whispered rumors of Plague Cure. While Lucy fights her magnetic attraction to Jared, anxious that his loyalty to Storm will hurt her chances of finding her sister, they quickly discover that not all is as it appears…and discovering the secrets contained in the Fox sisters’ blood before they wind up dead is just the beginning. As they say in Dominion, sometimes it’s not you…it’s your DNA.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley  and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

1 ½ ★

I really was hoping this series would get better but sadly I thought it got worse.

While in book one we still got some plot , this book most of it felt forced and as pages fillers. I couldn’t really connect to the story at all this book.

Lucy was just TSTL the entire book, and really it seemed like she kept thinking she is ever so smart and trying to outsmart people when she really was just dumb.  And that was her without having  Price around and with him. Omg there are no words.

If that is even possible he as even a bigger a$$ in this book and I didn’t think there was anything sexy about him. He was just creepy, controlling and over all a jacka$$.

I had to force myself to finish it which wad sad because I really wanted to like this series.

I rated it at 1 ½ ★ and with hat will not continue with the series.

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/05/21/review-true-north-true-born-trilogy-2-by-l-e-sterling
review 2018-05-21 21:18
Review: True Born (True Born Trilogy #1) by L.E. Sterling
True Born - L.E. Sterling

After the great Plague descended, the world population was decimated…and their genetics damaged beyond repair. The Lasters wait hopelessly for their genes to self-destruct. The Splicers pay for expensive treatments that might prolong their life. The plague-resistant True Borns are as mysterious as they are feared… And then there’s Lucy Fox and her identical twin sister, Margot. After endless tests, no one wants to reveal what they are. When Margot disappears, a desperate Lucy has no choice but to put her faith in the True Borns, led by the charismatic Nolan Storm and the beautiful but deadly Jared Price. As Lucy and the True Borns set out to rescue her sister, they stumble upon a vast conspiracy stretching from Dominion’s street preachers to shady Russian tycoons. But why target the Fox sisters? As they say in Dominion, it’s in the blood.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

2 ½ ★

This was one of those books that I really wanted to love because it sounded different and great. In the end I wasn’t really sure if I like it or not. I liked the idea of the book and thought it would have been really great but just needed a bit more polishing up . I thought it was missing some world building because there is not much , we sorta just get thrown in and that’s it. Not much background or other explaining and it just felt a bit dull. Another turn off for me was the insta lust , really she saw him and pretty much lost other brain from that moment on , I should call it insta stupid instead of insta lust , because that is really what happened . And overall she was not the smartest person and always found the most iodic things to do and get herself and others in danger. And Jared Price, umm yeah I think he was supposed to be one of those “bad boy” alpha male but really just came over as an A&&hole and not in a good way. I rolled my eyes way to many times and other times I was just angry at him. He stalkerish and controlling and that relationship was not healthy at all in my eyes.

I will continue on to see if it gets better and I really hope it does, because I think the story has a lot of potential. Overall, I rate this book 2 ½ ★

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/?p=89&preview=true
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-19 21:32
Needful Things by Stephen King
Needful Things - Stephen King

Needful Things by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There's a new store opening in Castle Rock, and the whole town has noticed its special green awning. Questions arise as to what it will sell, and whom exactly the proprietor is, but nobody ever expected the severity in discovering such simple things. Treasures that appear otherworldly in their perfection start to become prized possessions, soon enough causing disarray in the town's day to day activity. There's something too good to be true about Needful Things.

(WARNING: This reviews contains minor spoilers.)

Whilst it felt like this one took me far too long to finish, I really shouldn't forget that at nearly a thousand pages, it's one of the longest books I've picked up in years. Being a relatively slow reader in general, the weeks seemed to fly by as I continued to be in thrall of Leland Gaunt's brilliantly wicked schemes, thus it was approximately one month before I reached the end. I admit, such lengthy novels can be intimidating to me, whereupon I feel I'm not making much progress, but I found myself very much intrigued by King's use of development; rather than everything happening all at once, a considerable amount of time was taken to form an almost intimate relationship between character and reader. I do admit that despite this intention and my enjoyment for the majority of the time, my interest dropped now and again by a slight margin with all the backstory and slow trudge toward climax. There was just so much, and sometimes I had to place the book down and have a break.

I feel like in the past, I dismissed King's work as I considered it largely not my style, however, after several years of my tastes morphing and expanding, I believe I can finally appreciate his format of storytelling. He has a very precise way of writing, and it truthfully jarred me at first, but it really does work within the setting he creates. Of course, this is strictly a personal matter, but one I wanted to briefly touch upon.

The plot of this beast of a book deals a lot with obsession and greed over material objects - something we have all experienced in our lives. Materialism in general is a huge part of humanity, and Leland Gaunt was able to immensely exploit and amplify the deepest desire of each victim, going so far as to greatly influence their every paranoid little thought. He was a truly an excellent villain; one of the best as far as I'm concerned. He implemented himself into people's lives, and quickly became integral; as far as they were aware, he took their best interests at heart. It was his expertly woven manipulation, as well as his cool demeanour, that struck me as quite fascinating. Whether he was a demon, a dragon, or the devil himself, I won't soon forget how much he impressed me.

At times I found myself confused over the abundant cast of characters, but soon enough they all had their own particular and memorable differences. The two that drew me in the most, gaining my favouritism and attachment, was Polly and Alan. They were both painfully realistic in their emotional and physical ailments. I wished time and time again for them to survive the horrific events Gaunt set in motion, and most of all, for them to remain together. With so many diverse personalities, I experienced a range of reactions, from laughter to pity and much of everything in-between. You see, there's definite comedic value with such a man as Buster, and a sense of tragedy with someone like Brian - all in all King was able to bring their unique situations to life.

In conclusion - I'm glad I plucked up the courage to read this. I'd describe it as a slow burn, leading to an explosive finale. The evil mastermind behind the whole thing, Leland Gaunt, had to be the highlight; at first subtle in his transgressions, but then going all out on the poor citizens of Castle Rock.

Notable Scene:

The two women lay draped over each other like lovers, their blood painting the cinnamon-colored leaves in the gutter.