logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-15 15:47
Review: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein - Kiersten White

Elizabeth Lavenza hasn't had a proper meal in weeks. Her thin arms are covered with bruises from her "caregiver," and she is on the verge of being thrown into the streets . . . until she is brought to the home of Victor Frankenstein, an unsmiling, solitary boy who has everything--except a friend.

Victor is her escape from misery. Elizabeth does everything she can to make herself indispensable--and it works. She is taken in by the Frankenstein family and rewarded with a warm bed, delicious food, and dresses of the finest silk. Soon she and Victor are inseparable.

But her new life comes at a price. As the years pass, Elizabeth's survival depends on managing Victor's dangerous temper and entertaining his every whim, no matter how depraved. Behind her blue eyes and sweet smile lies the calculating heart of a girl determined to stay alive no matter the cost . . . as the world she knows is consumed by darkness.

4 ½ ★

This is a wonderful retelling of Frankenstein, but full disclosure before I start. It has been way to long since I read Frankenstein and only remember the basics and no details. So this review will only focus on the book read and not be compared to the original.

The first few chapters were a bit sow for me but it picked up fast and you get thrown right into the world of Elizabeth, Justine and Victor along with some others.

I loved the writing it was so nice and smooth to read even with sort if dual-timelines, which can be confusing sometimes but Kiersten White done an awesome job with it. It just fit and made sense.

It is about Victor Frankenstein and with that super dark, chilling and gory. It is not for people who have issues with gore, medical experimentation, use of corpses and child abuse. All that being said, it was super fun to read, it was dark, chilling but fun.

So if you looking for a chilling read, this is the one…… I enjoyed very much and had a hard time putting it down, in fact I stayed up super late to finish the book but it was so worth it.

Overall I rate this chillingly, fun book 4 ½ ★

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/11/15/review-the-dark-descent-of-elizabeth-frankenstein-by-kiersten-white
review 2018-11-15 15:16
Review: Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2) by Kiersten White
Now I Rise (And I Darken) - Kiersten White

Lada Dracul has no allies. No throne. All she has is what she’s always had: herself. After failing to secure the Wallachian throne, Lada is out to punish anyone who dares to cross her blood-strewn path. Filled with a white-hot rage, she storms the countryside with her men, accompanied by her childhood friend Bogdan, terrorizing the land. But brute force isn’t getting Lada what she wants. And thinking of Mehmed brings little comfort to her thorny heart. There’s no time to wonder whether he still thinks about her, even loves her. She left him before he could leave her.

What Lada needs is her younger brother Radu’s subtlety and skill. But Mehmed has sent him to Constantinople—and it’s no diplomatic mission. Mehmed wants control of the city, and Radu has earned an unwanted place as a double-crossing spy behind enemy lines. Radu longs for his sister’s fierce confidence—but for the first time in his life, he rejects her unexpected plea for help. Torn between loyalties to faith, to the Ottomans, and to Mehmed, he knows he owes Lada nothing. If she dies, he could never forgive himself—but if he fails in Constantinople, will Mehmed ever forgive him?

As nations fall around them, the Dracul siblings must decide: what will they sacrifice to fulfill their destinies? Empires will topple, thrones will be won . . . and souls will be lost.

Normally, I’m not a fan of historical fiction but these books have me asking for more. I couldn’t stop reading and or listening to this book.

There is a little time jump since we left everyone in the last book.

Everyone is split up and in different places with some of the same goals but yet different goals. Even though this book a big part of it had political and religious aspect it was soo much fun to read.

It is fast paced and full of action, betrayal and suspense, but it has a bit of everything else as well. There are a few twists that I really enjoyed.

Lada in this book is even stronger than before, but she also has plenty of vulnerable moments of course she only shows that to very few if anyone. I think what I enjoyed about Lada’s part the most was the friendship she had with her men. But also that she didn’t let anyone put her down and tell her she is less. There were a few moments I didn’t like about her but, but it was obvious she knew that too, just didn’t do anything about it.

Radu, he was not my favorite last book and still is not. While I liked him a lit more than last book he still was not my favorite. Often it annoyed ne that he came over as lovesick puppy which he really was anything he did was for love, it just depended on who.  But on the happy note he did step up to the plate a bit more too and did some stuff and most of all protected the ones he cared about.

Nazira, I really enjoyed her a lot, she played a big role in this book when it came to Radu.

Mehmed. I had a real hate-love relationship with this guy this time around and to be honest even at the end I wasn’t sure if I could trust him.

Everyone in this book grew so much in one way or another. The end was sort of sad and I really just wanted more. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together and plays out.

Overall, this book is really hard for me to review but all I can say it that I really, really loved it and looking forward to reading the next. I will rate

5★ and will add it to my favorite shelve.

(I listen to the audio along site with the hardcover and I really enjoyed the audiobook a lot, it was very well narrated)

Amazon *** B&N  *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/11/15/review-now-i-rise-the-conquerors-saga-2-by-kiersten-white
text 2018-11-13 17:30
BLOG TOUR & GIVEAWAY (+ excerpt link): ‘Amber & Dusk’ by Lyra Selene
Amber & Dusk - Lyra Selene

I’m going to go ahead and post the info and giveaway, (and link to an excerpt!) for this wonderful fantasy book about to be released on November 27th, but I didn’t get to review it in time because my early reader’s copy has got lost in the mail (or someone is reading it at the post office)!!

Once I have received it I’ll be able to post a review but for now, I’ll tell you a little bit more.

Thanks, as always, to my friends at The Fantastic Flying Book Club for having me on the book tour!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR, LYRA SELENE

Lyra Selene was born under a full moon and has never quite managed to wipe the
moonlight out of her eyes. When she isn’t dreaming up fantastical cities and brood-
ing landscapes, Lyra enjoys hiking, rainstorms, autumn, and pretending she’s any
good at painting.
She lives in New England with her husband, in an antique farmhouse that’s probably
not haunted. AMBER & DUSK is her debut novel.

You can find her online at LyraSelene.com

ABOUT THE BOOK

Amber & Dusk
by Lyra Selene
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: November 27, 2018
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

SYNOPSIS:
Sylvie has always known she deserves more. Out in the permanent twilight of the
Dusklands, her guardians called her power to create illusions a curse. But Sylvie
knows it gives her a place in Coeur d'Or, the palais of the Amber Empress and her
highborn legacies.
So Sylvie sets off toward the Amber City, a glittering jewel under a sun that never
sets, to take what is hers.
But her hope for a better life is quickly dimmed. The empress invites her in only as
part of a wicked wager among her powerful courtiers. Sylvie must assume a new
name, Mirage, and begin to navigate secretive social circles and deadly games of
intrigue in order to claim her spot. Soon it becomes apparent that nothing is as it ap-
pears and no one, including her cruel yet captivating sponsor, Sunder, will answer
her questions. As Mirage strives to assume what should be her rightful place, she'll
have to consider whether it is worth the price she must pay.

Here is AN EXCLUSIVE BOOK EXCERPT! Just click on this SCRIBD LINK!

And to enter the GIVEAWAY to get the chance to win a copy of book (US only), head over to the AMBER & DUSK GIVEAWAY! It’s running from 11/12 - 11/30

In the meantime, add this to your Booklikes TBR, and to your GOODREADS!

BLOG TOUR SCHEDULE LINK

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/37825423-amber-dusk
review 2018-11-13 12:39
There Are Monsters... and There Are Monsters!
This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity) - Victoria Schwab

I am pretty much torn on this. There are things I like about This Savage Song, and there are some I don't. For instance, the world building isn't much impressive and although it has its own uniqueness, its not the kind that pulls the readers into the universe of Verity. There are other good points in this that I will point out.

Kate Harker is a Harker - a human living in a city filled with monsters. But a Harker is to be feared. A Harker controls one side of Verity with a shaky truce signed. August Flynn is a monster. He is the third Sunai of the Flynn that controls the other part of Verity. In the city of Verity, there are other monsters that lurks when the sun goes down. And the truce is about to be broken and war is imminent.

The beginning chapters feels like a Romeo and Juliet tale. A small introduction of Kate, why she is the way she is to prove herself to her father that she is a Harker and August, trying to fit in with the humans. When they meet, there is some thing exchange between them... until a Malchai attacks Kate that reveals some thing sinister is going on. The first act is slow and there are things I do not like how slow it can get. But after the third act itself, this is where it picks up well. It was towards the end that I thought this book ends as just one book but gave a reason why Our Dark Duet exist as the finale of the duology.

To me, this is probably the least like of the series. I actually didn't wanted to start reading Monsters of Verity for some months now but it did took me some time to finally pick this up and read... and took me one of the longest time to finish it. Its a different kind of approach from Victoria Schwab, one I felt she is trying some thing different. Although the creation of monsters is nothing unique, why I gave a four star rating is actually the second part of the book. It is how Victoria Schwab delivers the way she always does.

review 2018-11-07 14:35
Review: Summoned to Thirteenth Grave(Charley Davidson #13) by Darynda Jones
Summoned To Thirteenth Grave - Darynda Jones

Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the final installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series!

Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper extraordinaire, is pissed. She’s been kicked off the earthly plain for eternity – which is the appropriate amount of time to make a person starkraving mad. But someone’s looking out for her, and she’s allowed to return after a mere hundred years in exile. Is it too much to hope for that not much has changed? Apparently it is. Bummer.

She’s missed her daughter, she’s missed Reyes, and Beep, but now that she’s back on earth, it’s time to put to rest burning questions that need answers. What happened to her mother? How did she really die? Who killed her? And are cupcakes or coffee the best medicine? It all comes to a head in an epic showdown between good and evil in this final smart and hilarious novel.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Well this is it … the last book. A bitter sweet good bye to a great series that I loved so much.

Of course being the last book in the series it is hard to review without spoiling it but I will try and make it short and to the point.

We start off with Charley still being banished but shortly in, she gets freed and we get a steamy welcome home with Reyes. He informs her shortly after what is happening and they have limited to save the world, but like all the previous book that is not enough so Charley gets a few more things to deal with, including a possible serial murder on the loose.   In order to solve one mystery she must find out what really happened the night she was born and we soon discover that there is a lot we didn’t know.

To be honest it did not feel like the last book until we get three quarters into the book. It just feels like most of the previous books and we get her and her gang together working on saving the world once again…

Likewise with humor, we get plenty of humor throughout the book even being one of the darker or scarier books in the series and let’s not forget the romance that plays a part of it.

About at the 75% into the book we start to get the, this is it, this is the final book vibe. It is do or die time, literally.   Also this is full of surprises, some of the BIGGEST twists are happening in this book. There were moments I was crying and then like …”wait … what?!?!” a minute later. Even after finishing the book I still was not over some of the surprises or shocks I should say we learned.

Everything gets tied up in its very own fitting way, depending on who or what….

I shed plenty of tears reading this book, some happy tears others not so much but overall I was happy and satisfied with how it ended …… even though the last line of the book about drove me …. Crazy.

I will miss Charley and crew so much and still am sad this is the final book, but I hope we will see them again sometime in maybe novella or maybe even a spin off.

Overall, I really loved this book and thought it was a great ending to an even better series. Farewell my friends, I will miss you….

I rate it full 5 ★

Will be available January 15, 2019

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/11/07/review-summoned-to-thirteenth-gravecharley-davidson-13-by-darynda-jones