logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: MR-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2018-09-25 07:28
TRICK OR TREAT a Rivers End romance with a touch of magic

Trick or Treat
This was cute. Love the cover. Would like to read more from C.J. Hunt.

Publishers Summary

No Halloween in Rivers End is complete without A Touch of Magic…

A few local teenagers have the crazy idea that RAMONA BAXTER is a witch. But she just wants to spend a quiet Halloween inside with the ones she loves. If the veil between the living and the dead is at its thinnest tonight, so much the better.

Mona’s got the popcorn, the wine, and her favourite movie ready to go, but when the hooligans strike again, she comes face to face with the inventor next door, GARRETT WHITING. He’s brilliant, charming… and unconscious on her porch.

Playing nurse to her sexy neighbour wasn’t on the agenda, but a little push from her interfering family might be just the trick to break out of her shell and let a little romance into her life.

Source: cjhuntromance.com/freereads
review 2018-09-24 18:58
A Rose in the Highlands (Highland Roses School #1) by Heather McCollum

A Rose in the Highlands

Synopsis

1684, Scottish Highlands

Englishwoman Evelyn Worthington is resolved to build a school for ladies in her brother's newly purchased Scottish castle. But when she arrives, not only does she find the castle scorched by fire, but a brawny Highlander bars her entry.

Clan chief Grey Campbell would rather die than see his family home, Finlarig Castle, fall into English hands, so Grey must win the battle of wills with the beautiful Sassenach who flashes a bill of sale before him.

When the war between Evelyn and Grey escalates, passions flare. But outsiders have their own plans for Finlarig. After secrets are revealed, and muskets are lit, the fates of the Campbell Clan, the school, and a possible future for Grey and Evelyn are in as much jeopardy as their lives

Add to Goodreads Shelf

Review

Books like this are the reason why I love historical fiction so much. I really enjoyed this entertaining read, adored the characters, especially Lady Evelyn. She is a force to be reckoned, so determined and strong, nothing fazes her stubbornness. And no man can stand in her way. She has decided to become an independent woman and she will definitely achieve that goal no matter the danger.

Grey Campbell feels wronged. His parents were killed and his home was taken from him, but he cannot do anything about it. Not that he plans to give up on getting his home back, but it might take some time. For now, he is going to play along with Evelyn's plane and pretend to be working for her. Soon she will fail and return to England then he would claim his castle once again. However, he did not count on falling in love with her. That's one thing that would make his already complicated life even more complicated.

In the midst of danger, both Evelyn and Grey must survive and find a way to be together. Unfortunately, things are stacked against them and there may not be a way out.

It's a very well written story. I loved everything about it. I think it's a must read for historical fiction fans, especially if you love the highlanders. For me, it was a perfect read.

P.S. I received a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley.

Source: mineofbooks.blogspot.com/2018/09/review-rose-in-highlands-highland-roses.html
show activity (+)
review 2018-09-24 08:10
Release Boost w/Review - Spin The Bottle

Spin the Bottle by Sara Wylde is available NOW!

“Smart and sexy NA contemporary—like the Goblin King if he starred in a modern day Cruel Intentions. I loved this story!” - USAT Bestselling Author, Virginia Nelson

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2MuENP6

iBooks → https://apple.co/2MXIvxw

B&N(Nook) → http://bit.ly/2BlrVX8

Kobo → http://bit.ly/2Mw25nQ

Jax

I’m a virgin, but I don’t want to be. I just want to get it over with, so I made a list. I held interviews. (I know, I’m a total Type A.) The winner is Sebastian Rathbone. Grade A Beefcake who plays defense for the Grizzlies’ Rugby team. Manwhore extraordinaire. So basically, a professional.

The problem? My best friend, Matt. For some reason, he wanted me to pick him. I’d never choose him because then I’d fall in love and I remember the hell that was middle school. Now that he’s grown into his head and feet, and he is by definition also Grade A Beefcake, there’s even less chance he’d ever feel more than friendship for me. Why put myself through that? I thought I’d locked all of that away until a game of Spin the Bottle makes me doubt everything. Especially the lie I’ve been telling myself about not being in love with my best friend.

Matt

Sebastian Rathbone? Dude. No way. He’s not a bad guy, but he’s not the guy for Jax. If anyone knows the guy for Jax, that’s me. It hurts I wasn’t even consulted. Actually, what bothers me the most is that she didn’t ask me to be the one. To punch her V-Card, I mean. I’m pretty good at what I do, or so I’ve been told. It should be a good memory. Something special. And lemme tell you, Rathboner isn’t going to make it special for anyone. I don’t like it that there’s this part of her she’s going to give to someone else, but I guess I have to get right with it. I’m the best friend. Not the lover. Except when faced with losing her, I’ll have to take a spin on chance just one more time.

ADD TO YOUR TBR → http://bit.ly/2MpE7KF

Spin the Bottle (Fast Times at Ridgemont Hall Book 2)Spin the Bottle by Sara Wylde
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is book #2, in the Fast Times At Ridgemont Hall series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For reader understanding of the series and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading in order.

Jax and Matt have been best friends. They are close and tell one another everything. When she tells him she is ready to lose her V card, he loses it. Confesses to her she should choose him. She never thought this was an option and just had not considered this.

Matt is frustrated that Jax has a plan to be intimate with another man. He has been lusting over his best friend lately and feels they need to talk about the options. She just is not in the same place. So he has to have a plan......

This is a fun and quirky approach to the best friends become lovers. Each person is quite independent, and must seriously consider if this is a move they want to make. The characters have good banter, and the book goes at a good pace. If you need to feel good and get a smile, this is the right pick me up for you.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

Start the series today with Truth or Dare

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2Ok0RKk

iBooks → http://bit.ly/2v7NAvI

B&N(Nook) → http://bit.ly/2v7NAvI

Kobo → http://bit.ly/2NJBJLZ

Google Play → http://bit.ly/2NJo6fJ

About the Author:

Sara Wylde is the crackfic! contemporary pen name for PNR/UF author Saranna DeWylde. She rather imagines that all the pen names live in the same dorm in her head and frequently have discussions that look and sound something like an episode of Herman's Head.

Connect with Sara:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theoriginalsarawylde/

Newsletter: http://bit.ly/2LvNeJx

Amazon: https://amzn.to/2JT3eAa

show activity (+)
review 2018-09-24 07:50
As guardians of the Earth, it's our job to protect the unsuspecting human populace from things that hunt them. Those creatures that go bump in the night? We eat them.
Gone Hunting (Weird Girls 0.3) - Cecy Robson

Thanks to Kim @ caffeinated PR Services for sending me an e-ARC copy.

Aric and his friends Liam, Gemini and Koda are Weres, who go hunting for Elk in the Mount Elbert area but come upon a young golden tigress who appears to be lost. Aric is attracted by a strange magic to this tigress who changes into a young girl whose name is Celia Wird. She is also the reason dark magic forces gather wherever she goes. "They" want to kill her for some weird (pun intended) reason. She only escapes them because of a white (good) witch's intervention spell, but her spell didn't work correctly. The magic messes with the ley lines and Celia ends up in the past!

Unfortunately, my mind can't wrap itself around the idea

But still, I am delighted to have found this epic fantasy/paranormal. Is it also a romance? Idk but I've been hoping for something good to come along and Weird Girls looks promising. Gone Hunting is not just about boy things, but girl things, Celia and her sisters. Witches and Weres. I love strong female characters. I'm also glad to be able to read this series starting from the beginning. If you are familiar with Weird Girls you probably have already seen or read the other 8 (?) novels. Cecy Robson is a new-to-me author and I am thankful for this introduction to The Weird Girls.

Source: www.goodreads.com/review/show/2539707663
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-09-24 07:28
The House by the Cemetery 4* book review
The House by the Cemetery (Fiction Without Frontiers) - John Everson The House by the Cemetery John Everson Flame Tree Press 4* ***SPOILERS*** “Some things should remain buried” Synopsis: “Rumour has it that the abandoned house by the cemetery is haunted by the ghost of a witch. But rumours won’t stop carpenter Mike Kostner from rehabbing the place as a haunted house attraction. Soon he’ll learn that fresh wood and nails can’t keep decades of rumours down. There are noises in the walls, and fresh blood on the floor: secrets that would be better not to discover. And behind the rumours is a real ghost who will do whatever it takes to ensure the house reopens. She needs people to fill her house on Halloween. There’s a dark, horrible ritual to fulfil. Because while the witch may have been dead... she doesn’t intend to stay that way.” Thank you to Flame Tree Press for sending me an advance copy of The House by the Cemetery to review. Some things should most definitely remain buried. A murderous witch undoubtedly should. If there was ever a tale about a man being led by his, ahem, ‘other’ brain, this is it. Mike, a carpenter is tasked with making an already haunted house safe, to be opened as a haunted house attraction. Seems like a great idea doesn’t it? The end result, the cattle are taking themselves to the slaughter. I got many American Horror Story feels from this book; I could picture it in my mind, the different cast members of AHS and which parts they would be perfect for. It really felt like a story that Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk had come up with during the creative process for their next series. It’s a shame really that they have already done the haunted house theme (series 1). I can live in hope though right? Mike, divorced, living hand to mouth and pay check to pay check, is struggling to pay the rent. He reluctantly agrees to a job offer from his friend Perry, to work on reconstructing Bachelor’s Grove, an infamous haunted house complete with a creepy cemetery. It is to be opened in the run up to Halloween and a scary money making attraction. He meets a girl, Katie, falls for girl and does everything she asks no matter how twisted or bizarre it may seem. Love really is blind. That was my one fault with this book; Mike was a little too accepting of the situation. Even at the end, all the murders, the bloodshed, and he just seemed to be very blasé about it. He would complain, and say he didn’t agree et cetera et cetera, but Katie would smile sweetly and bat her witchy eyelashes and he would be back to being her good boy. That one thing was my only annoyance. I think we needed a man with a bit more fight in him, not an absolute pushover. Katie really didn’t have to work for it. Also, I have to admit, it was not a huge surprise to find out Katie was a ghost, or even the witch for that matter. It was sadly pretty obvious from early on in the book, although that didn’t curtail my enjoyment. I felt the haunted house within a haunted house concept worked really well, I loved all the different room ideas and the overall layout and decoration of the house really did sound great. I felt there was maybe a lack of any ‘actual’ haunting within the house when it was open to the public, unlike the subtle incidents, of entrails, noises and footsteps whilst Mike was working on it. That subtle approach was perfect for building atmosphere in the earlier stages of this novel. I would have appreciated a few unintended jump scares from resident ghostly inhabitants during the open house, which would have been a treat alongside the actors dishing out the scares. I think introducing some other spectral figures would have given the house more of a back story, showing us that many people died there over the years. While we were limited with ghostly visitors, despite being told numerous times of the vast paranormal presence within the house, we were not left totally disappointed. It wasn’t until the very last night of business that the ghouls came out to play. Those last few chapters were great, a very big finish, a huge kill count, it was an absolute blood bath that wouldn’t have been lost on an eighties slasher flick. The House by the Cemetery, released 18th October 2018, is available for pre-order from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/House-Cemetery-Fiction-Without-Frontiers/dp/1787580016/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537108789&sr=1-1&keywords=the+house+by+the+cemetery 4/5 – We all love a good haunted house story don’t we? Lesley-Ann (Housewife of Horror)