Happy Memorial Day to all the US folks out there. Happy 2nd Bank Holiday of May to the Brits out there. I wish it was warmer at the unofficial start to the summer, but the wind and rain has decided summer temps can wait (England and her weather, I tell you!).
Courtney Milan Challenge (3 out of 7 books in series read; 60% challenge completed)
1. The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister #1) 5 stars
2. A Kiss for Midwinter (Brothers Sinister #1.5) 4 stars
Regency Box Set (6 of 9 books read; 67% challenge completed)
3. Bargaining with a Rake (Whisper of Scandal #1) by Julie Johnstone 1 star
4. A Reluctant Rake (Tenacious Trents #5) by Jane Charles 3.5 stars
5. The Red Pony by John Steinbeck 2 stars
The Great and Powerful TBR Pile
6. Magic in His Kiss by Shari Anton DNF
7. Mission to Murder (Tourist Trap Mystery #2) by Lynn Calhoun 3.5 stars
8. A Dream Defiant by Susanna Fraser 3.5 stars
9. My Fair Concubine by Jeannie Lin 3 stars
10. An Unexpected Encounter (Half Moon House Novella #0.5) by Deb Marlowe 3.5 stars
11. Dying to Read by Lorena McCourtney .5 star
12. Be Not Afraid by Alyssa B. Cole 4 stars
Non-Fiction Challenge (18/50; 36% completed)
13. Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez - DNF
14. AIDS in America by Susan Hunter 4 stars
15. High Stakes by Sam Skolnik 1 star
2016 Reading Challenge: 71 out of 150 books read (47% completed)
# of non-fiction books: 2
# of fiction books: 13
total average star rating: 3.2
average non-fiction star rating: 2.5 stars
average fiction star rating: 3.0
Bout of Books 16
Buddy Read with Obsidian Blue
Two DNFs this month. I don't like seeing those three ugly letters, but I feel I must start using them more so that I don't waste time reading books that don't interest me.
Bout of Books was a lot of fun, but I ended up with a reading hang over and didn't read much the week following. Definitely learned my lesson - no non-fiction for read-a-thons.
Feeling really good at the progress I have made on some of my challenges. I neared or went over the 50% mark on a few of them. Now I need to focus on reading down my TBR pile and restraining myself from buying new books. I won't be borrowing from the library over the summer to help me focus more on the books I own, but I will be joining the summer reading program which begins June 1st.
Best book of the month goes to The Duchess War. It will end up on my top 10 for the year without a doubt.
Worst book of the month goes to Dying to Read. Glad it was a freebie.
Surprising book of the month goes to AIDS in America. I hope policy makers, politicians, educators, and other community leaders take the lessons of the book to heart and make the necessary changes for all our sakes. I learned how blinded I was in regards to HIV/AIDS crisis.
Disappointing book of the month goes to The Red Pony. I just expected more and better from Steinbeck.