logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: a-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-03-23 23:26
Let's play cards...
Trick Roller - Cordelia Kingsbridge,Wyatt Baker

I'm a little late to the party with this series but that's a situation of my own making. I'm not sure really why but I got a notion in my head that I wanted to listen to this series on audio. So I held out...and held out...finally 'Kill Game'  was released on audio and I pounced on it like a hungry cougar...a really long in the tooth cougar...but that's another story for another day.

Anyways, I loved listening to 'Kill Game' as an audio book. For me there's just something about hearing a mystery book on audio that makes it all the more enjoyable. In general I've discovered that if it's a mystery and I liked the e-book, if it's on audio chances are I'm going to love it...I'm going to say that's a me thing, but who knows maybe there are others who feel the same.

So here I am listening to book #2 in Cordelia Kingsbridge's 'Seven of Spades' series and you know what...I mean aside from the fact that I loved it, this is an exercise in determination because damned if I don't want to got read every freakin' review out there but I've been refraining because sadly I've also learned that everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a spoiler so I've been restricting myself to checking out ratings only and then I move on but once I get done here I'm going to go read my friends reviews for this one and see what they're thoughts are because a lot of my friends read this one quite a while ago and if their ratings are anything to go but...which they usually are they loved it just as much or more than I have and I'm curious to find out why.

While I really, really liked this one...I have to admit I enjoyed 'Kill Game' just an isty, bitsy, teensy, weensy bit more....like an almost negligible amount but that's ok it often happens with series and it's such a marginally small amount that I'm not even going to try and define it. I'm just going to talk about how much I loved seeing Levi and Dominic's relationship grow, how much I enjoyed the way the mystery unfolded in this one and the inevitable out come of what unfolded...oh, and there was the court scene...Dominic's so awesome I'm giving him some serious brownie points for that one.

Levi and Dominic are becoming more and more committed to each other but it's not an easy go and neither of theses men are rushing to the alter they've both got their own jobs and friends to deal with and their own issues and some days it's just harder than others to juggle it all, but hey, it could be worse right 'The Seven of Spades Killer' could still out there but thankfully he's dead and gone right? or is he? If you ask anyone in Vegas they'll tell you yes...if you ask Levi or Dominic they'll tell you something else entirely.

I am so loving the mystery in this series I have to admit I do not have a freakin' clue whodunit? Seriously I got nothin' and I want to keep it that way until the bitter end...and that's a few books away for me.

Wyatt Baker is once again the narrator for this series and  while he's no longer a new to me narrator this is only the third book of his that I've listened to and I think he's definitely growing on me. I know his voices for both Levi and Dominic are firmly entrenched in my brain and I'm honestly hoping that I get to enjoy the rest of the series with him. I've found his narration to be solid and consistent which may not sound like much but for me it's an important thing I need my Levi to continue sounding like Levi and not suddenly turn into Mickey Mouse on me, or for Dominic to suddenly sound like Popeye or even worse to suddenly have everyone sound the same or monotone...nothing spoils a good story quicker than listening to a voice that's so uninspired it puts you to sleep, right? Thankfully, that is not the case here.

I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series on audio so cross your fingers for me that release day comes soon...if not I might have to break down and read the e-book...not that this would stop me from enjoying the audio book when it's released... because maybe I've read the book and then listened to the audio once or twice or a dozen or so times. It's another thing I do and I know I'm not the only one who does this because as well all know a good story needs to enjoyed more than once just so you can get all the details.

*************************

An audio book of 'Trick Roller' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2019-03-23 05:26
Screechers by Kevin J. Kennedy & Christina Bergling

*This was kindly provided by the author for an honest review. Thank you for the chance to read your story!*

44302513

Imagine you were the last of your kind and how you would feel. The authors describe this feeling very well, painting a vivid picture, with beauty and sadness. There is no dialogue when we are in the “Screechers” point of view because they do not talk like we do. The descriptions of the creatures are enough. Normally, I get bored and lose focus on description heavy passages, but these are action-packed and written in such a way that I am never bored.

The writing style is great; It did have a repetitive phrase that I found took me out of the story each time I noticed it, but other than that, I’m thoroughly impressed with this little novella.

I 100% genuinely love this story. It was part gross (in a good way), part heartbreaking, but also full of heart, hope and made me smile. The story itself is fast paced and easy to sink your teeth into. I really enjoyed it and hope to read many more from the two authors involved.

---

Phil Beachler did the cover art. It is amazing!

review 2019-03-23 01:58
Primal Waters (Meg #3) by Steve Alten
Primal Waters - Steve Alten

TW: Because yes, this will have triggers, like the first two. Misogyny, implied/mentioned sex between adults and underage girls, suicide is mentioned, abortion is mentioned, slut and fat-shaming (blink and you might miss the slut-shaming, but it is there.)

989549

You can go into a vintage horror (or any genre) novel and expect some dark and nasty stuff, including how females are treated, and hey, maybe you even like those books, despite the problematic elements. Those books were a product of the time.  I'm honestly not judging your taste in books, because I read them, too. It is nice to be able to turn your brain off sometimes.

That being said, the way females are treated in this book just doesn't make sense. Because it is about killer sharks, does that mean it is marketed toward men and that is why all the girls are treated like eye candy, along with underage eye candy to boot? It is just cringy how Terry is described. (The Asian beauty with almond eyes.)

I wasn't even at the 30% point and already suicide was mentioned, two instances of underage sex mentioned (with an adult) and one instance of what seems like a forced abortion (man paying for and probably making the underage girl abort her baby), and a cheating scumbag. (And later on in the book there are slut and fat-shaming.) Oh, and of course some shark kills! Which is the real reason read these, right?

Why in the world would Jonas let his underage daughter be one of the "Candy Girls" without even saying a word of protest?

“I was hoping you might be able to use Dani behind the scenes, you know, assisting the film crew . . . something to keep her busy.”

“Behind the scenes?” Erik laughs. “Your daughter’s eye-candy, Professor, and we can never have too much of that. Dani, as soon as you get settled, come find me and I’ll hook you up with wardrobe. They’ll pick out some nice bikinis, maybe a few after-hour numbers. We’ll pay you to be one of our Candy Girls, my pet name for our Daredevil groupies.”

“Excellent.” Danielle’s gloating smile tweaks her father’s blood pressure.

Also, I can do without shaming people for having body hair. It was just a silly and unneeded line.

"God, I miss California. If I date one more woman with hairy legs, I think I’ll—"

***

Erik points to the bow where a cocoa-brown African-American woman in a white thong bikini is posing before a photographer and two cameramen. “Not much of an actress, but who cares, she makes—”

“I know, great eye-candy.”

So, we have an almond-eyed Asian beauty and now a cocoa-brown African American...can't we describe POC without using food? And you don't have to keep reminding us that Terry's Asian as well. We remember! (Later on, there is an olive-skinned Italian as well.)

I saw someone call these books "Shallow Entertainment" and they sure are that! I notice that he really likes to go into detail of describing how a female looks, using words like "shapely" a lot. Also, I noticed he points out skin color and eye color of the females often, but only one time did he mention the eye color of a man. I wonder why it is? So we know what eye color the females have when we fantasize about them? I mean, he writes them like "Eye Candy!"

The girls on the boat are even called "Candy Girls" by the camera crew. It is basically "Girl's Gone Wild" with stupid daredevil stunts that get people killed. How has this film crew not been sued and how are they allowed to show the deaths on tv?

I've never watched the real Girl's Gone Wild, but this book is similar to the Piranha (2010) movie, if you remember the GGW film crew, well, yeah, this book is like that, but with some hungry sharks and people who don't use their brains. Of course, the sex and nudity in this are not graphic or anything, but you get what I mean. That is because Steve does a lot of telling, and not showing.

All the people in this book that get put in danger (and end up getting killed) are getting what they deserve. I would never say that about a real-life situation, toward a real victim, but seriously, these characters have bricks for brains.

The camera, still looped around his neck, bounces against his chest—
—calling out his name.
Brian stares at temptation, his fear momentarily subsiding. 'The whale’s dying. Angel’s got to be circling below, waiting to feed again. One shot, just a quick one before you lose the light, then get to shore as fast as you can.' He stops paddling, allowing the kayak to drift as he glances back at Charlie. 'Calm and steady and the Meg won’t even know you’re here. One great shot of her next attack, just one killer shot.'

'Sorry Charlie, but that’s life in the food chain. Damn, this looks good. Okay, Angel, one more time for Daddy while we still have the light. Definitely a cover shot on National Geographic, maybe even Time . . .'

This is why I root for the shark!

A certain thing keeps happening in this book and jarring me out of the story. Steve Alten has a broken way of writing what are supposed to be suspenseful moments. Personally, I don't like this style. I don't know how to describe it, so I will show you.

Balancing atop the wall, he runs back to the arena and the safety of the bleachers as fast as he can—
—nitrogen bubbling in his bloodstream.

Fergie bounds over another swell and pulls hard on his control strut—
—as a powerful updraft catches the kite.

Losing the wind, he plummets—a seabird with clipped wings—
—as the Megalodon breeches, its head rising at him like a missile, its jaws yawning open, offering an impossible target to miss.

Devin flees—
—only to be confronted by an even bigger nightmare.

This way of writing might be fine if it only happened a couple of times, but it is littered throughout the whole book.

One last thing I want to add about Dani, which is a spoiler-ish.

Dani starts off as a teenage spoiled brat; there is no way to say it nicely. I liked how she grew and eventually stopped being such a pain, and she and her father started to see eye to eye again.

(spoiler show)

Don't get me wrong, despite my complaints, I really do like these books. As I said, it is nice to turn your brain off and enjoy some B movie type books.

review 2019-03-22 13:00
Review Blitz & Giveaway with Excerpt! 5 STAR New Release Review! Down & Dirty (Men of Haven #6) Rhenna Morgan!

TGIF, Readers! I am ready to jump start the weekend by participating in a couple of great book tours. On this tour, I am getting Down & Dirty with the Men of Haven! Enjoy and don’t forget to enter the giveaway!

Title: Down & Dirty
Author: Rhenna Morgan
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: March 11th, 2019
Hosted by: Lady Amber’s PR

Blurb:

The Men of Haven: fierce passion, unyielding loyalty.

Especially when it comes to their women.

A powerful man

Axel McKee abandoned his musical career years ago in favor of becoming a power player on the music scene. His dreams of the spotlight are over—and he’s better off for it. Working with his Haven brothers and building their empire is enough for him.

One who commanded attention with nothing more than a look

And then came Lizzy. A dynamic, beautiful powerhouse of a performer unlike any he’s seen or heard before. Her presence leaps off stage and into the heart of anyone who watches her sing. Axel wants her. Wants to help her and collaborate with her… But more than anything, he wants to be with her.

And every ounce of his attention was locked on her

Two things are immediately obvious: Lizzy’s been burned before, and earning her trust will be Axel’s biggest challenge yet. If he can get this fierce, stubborn, talented woman to see the passion and care that he’s offering, he might get a chance at a new dream—sharing the spotlight with the woman he loves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sixth book in the Men of Haven series is a realistically gritty romance that brings this series to a wonderfully satisfying conclusion. Axel and Lizzy are strong, bold characters that readers can’t help but fall more and more in love with, the more they get to know them. Lizzy is strong but guarded heroine that is fierce and determined not to let anyone get the better of her ever again which adds emotional depth and realism to the character and the story. Axel is one sexy hero that exudes –alpha bachelor male, but then surprises readers with the strength of the protective vibe he gives off in regards to Lizzy and then there is his uber strong conviction in Lizzy’s talent and his determination to see that she has ever chance to reach for the stars. The chemistry sizzles between them with lots of electricity but the clash of wills between them has sparks flying throughout Axel’s stealthy courtship.

The author brought the story to vivid realistic life with clever twists and wording while, the steady paced plot keeps readers glued to the pages with the suspense of the captivating and heartwarming path toward happily ever after and a realistic and gritty dialogue which ensures that this romance is one that readers can relate too and believe in.

Author’s Book Page – http://rhennamorgan.com/book/down-dirty/

Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41744227-down-dirty

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/down-and-dirty-by-rhenna-morgan

Riffle - https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/1031405

Romance.io - https://www.romance.io/books/5c86082001dbc864fb9b7d51/down-dirty-rhenna-morgan

GBooks - https://books.google.com/books?id=FoZtDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=rhenna+morgan+down+%26+dirty&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD8PztypXhAhVDI6wKHUQGClAQ6AEIKjAA

Down & Dirty is the 6th book in the Men of Haven series

Six men who’ve not only dragged themselves out of the gutter and the dangerous beginnings they were born into, but have leveraged their street smarts and individual skills to make sure no person or socio-economic class ever holds them down again. Between them, the Men of Haven share two vows. To protect family at all cost, and to pay their good fortune and family ties forward by finding other men with similar backgrounds and building their unique skills. The only rules they care about are those driven by their moral code. And heaven help the poor bastards who get between them and the women they’ve claimed as their own.

Author - http://rhennamorgan.com/series/haven-series/

Tempted & Taken: http://amzn.to/2wAtoVS

Stand & Deliver: https://amzn.to/2CbyFoG

Down & Dirty: https://amzn.to/2UrwowA

ADDITIONAL PURCHASE LINKS FOR DOWN & DIRTY

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/down-dirty-rhenna-morgan/1129486548?ean=9781488024511

iBooks - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/down-dirty/id1435590803?mt=11&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

GPlay - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Rhenna_Morgan_Down_Dirty?id=FoZtDwAAQBAJ

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/down-dirty-12

Lizzy watched.

And waited.

And tried like hell to keep the cocktail of rage, praise and outright fear mushrooming up in her chest from spewing all over the seemingly unfazed man next to her. She made it until Vic and his flat ass disappeared into the back office. By some miracle, her first words came out surprisingly restrained. “Tell me you’re a friend of Rex’s and not some stranger who not only just squarely stuck his nose right in the middle of my business, but knows enough details of my bookings to make me seriously uneasy.”

There was no hint to the smile he shot her this time, the sheer devilment behind the curve of his full lips potent enough to make the most hardened woman giggle like a little girl. “Don’t know anyone named Rex, lass, so we’re gonna have to go with door number two. Though, I wouldn’t let the fact that I knew how much you’d booked the gig for tweak you too much. Vic’s not the most creative guy. Every band that’s worth a damned gets the same deal.”

“And you know about bands and their going rates because…”

“Because I know music and I know bar owners.” He faced her fully and held out his hand. “Axel McKee.”

Damn, but the man’s voice was a weapon. Rich, deep, and made all the more intoxicating with the accent. But that was nothing compared to his presence. To the raw, masculine energy emanating off him and the startling focus behind his brilliant green eyes.

He kept his hand steady. Patiently waiting for her to take what he offered.

A crossroad moment.

How she knew it, she couldn’t say, but she felt it in her bones. Intuited the gravity of the situation the way prey recognized a predator had marked them as a target.

And yet, rather than run, she lifted her hand and pressed her palm against his.

Oh. Holy. Hell.

A shiver she didn’t have a prayer of containing moved through her and her breath hitched with all the subtlety of a woman who’d just felt a man’s lips on the back of her neck for the first time.

His fingers tightened around hers. A tangible testament that he’d felt and witnessed her response, which in itself should have mortified her. Instead the deepened connection resonated through her like a tether in the middle of straight-line wind.

“Lizzy Hemming.” The quaver in her response and the sexual rasp that went with it slapped her well-honed sense of self-preservation back into place, and she tugged her hand free with an awkward abruptness. “Though, you appear to already know that.”

“Everyone in this bar knows your name.”

“True, but not one of them saw fit to saunter over here and put my band’s income at risk.”

His smile really was a killer. Quick and loaded with mischief. “Vic’s an idiot, but he’s not that stupid. You covered a week’s worth of hourly wages for half of his staff on his cut of the door alone, and the way he’s trained his bartenders to short people on most of the drinks, you put him squarely in the black for the rest of the month. The last thing that’s gonna happen is you losing a booking.” He cocked his head the same way he had with Vic, only without the dangerous vibe behind his eyes. “Now, if you’re ready to stop playing gigs like this, that’s a whole different conversation.”

Every DEFCON alarm hardwired from past experience went off at once, blaring with enough decibels to nearly make her outwardly wince. As lead-ins went, it was a smooth one, but she’d learned the hard way what trusting smooth talkers earned you. Especially the hot ones. “How exactly is it you know Vic, but he doesn’t know you? And what do you mean, I know music?”

“I know Vic because—bad business man or not—he books good bands, and I make it my business to keep an eye out for good music in and around Texas. I know music because I love it. Have my whole life.”

“You make it your business why?”

His expression shifted. Narrowed with a shrewdness that made her feel as though he’d easily peeled away all her armor and studied the raw woman underneath.

“You’re a guarded woman, Elizabeth. Why is that?”

“No one calls me Elizabeth. It doesn’t fit. Never has.”

One look. Ruthless determination behind his eyes and an uncompromising firmness to his lips. “It fits you perfectly. You’re just afraid to wear it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 winners the choice of one (1) paperback copy of Rhenna’s backlist of Men of Haven series titles (North American ONLY)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Rafflecopter Share Link:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A native Oklahoman, Rhenna Morgan is a certified romance junkie. Whether it’s contemporary, paranormal, or fantasy you’re after, Rhenna’s stories pack romantic escape full of new, exciting worlds, and strong, intuitive men who fight to keep the women they want. For advance release news and exclusive content, sign up for her newsletter at http://RhennaMorgan.com. You'll also find all of her social links there, along with her smoking hot inspiration boards.

Website: http://rhennamorgan.com/

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2xoUwVu

Twitter: https://twitter.com/rhennamorgan

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8596977.Rhenna_Morgan

Rhenna’s Romantics: https://www.facebook.com/groups/685771801535970/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhennaMorgan

Instagram: @rhennamorgan https://www.instagram.com/rhennamorgan/

review 2019-03-22 12:50
Book Tour & Giveaway with 4 STAR New Release Review! Storm of the Gods (Areios Brothers #1) Amy Braun!

TGIF Readers! Let’s take the weekend by Storm with another great book tour! Storm of the Gods – the first book in a new urban fantasy series by Amy Braun! Enjoy and don’t forget to enter the giveaway!

Storm of the Gods
An Areios Brothers Novel #1
by Amy Braun
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Thirty years ago, the gods of Greek legend returned to the world. Their return restored their powers, which had been spent in a cataclysmic battle with the Titans. With the ancient deities imprisoned in Tartarus, the Olympians now reside in Néo Vasíleio, formerly known as California.

Twenty-four-year-old Derek Aerios is a war scion, a descendant of Ares, the God of War. He and his brother, eighteen-year-old Liam, capture mythological creatures and rogue scions as part of Ares's elite military force. As he struggles to cope with his violent powers and the scars of a traumatic childhood, Derek tries to keep the two vows he has made: protect his brother, and never kill a human again.

But when Ares forces him to hunt and kill four rogue scions under Athena's control—by threatening Liam's life—Derek chooses to go after the scions in order to save his brother and keep his promise to himself.

Yet the closer Derek gets to the scions, the more he realizes that his orders are part of a deeper conspiracy that put him at odds with his mission and his conscience. Athena may not be the enemy, a traitor could be in their midst, and the Titans could be closer to freedom than ever before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This new urban fantasy series is off to a great start with a host of strong, complex characters that easily fascinate readers from the very beginning. The brothers, Derek and Liam are intriguing, full of life and courageous males that blow readers away with their determination and ingenuity throughout the story. Derek is the older brother and the story seems focusing on him so far, but it obvious that Liam plays a strong part in every decision that Derek makes, so they make a great team and readers can practically feel the loyalty that flows between them. They certainly need that loyalty and their bond as they are up against the Greek Gods in a fantastic setting where the Gods have re-emerged from obscurity and determined to take back their Godships by force. The author brings the setting to life with descriptive words that create a modern setting with a little of a futuristic feel and readers can easily imagine the Gods and how they would rule their world which makes it very easy for the readers to become completely absorbed in the intense and exhilarating story. The plot is fast paced and flows smoothly from one thrilling event to the next with lots adrenaline pumping suspense that builds throughout the story. There is never a dull moment to be found as the story takes readers on a complicated adventure full of exciting battles, betrayals, emotional turmoil and an extreme sense of expectation as each of the twists and turns of the story depends on life altering decisions and the whims of the gods.

Author’s Book Page – https://amybraunauthor.com/storm-of-the-gods/

Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42072790-storm-of-the-gods

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/storm-of-the-gods-an-areios-brothers-novel-by-amy-braun

Riffle - https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/1042756

GBooks - https://books.google.com/books?id=EdPNtwEACAAJ&dq=amy+braun+storm+of+the+gods&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYxZr7ypXhAhULM6wKHQRWCVsQ6AEIKjAA

Storm of the Gods is the 1st book in the Areios Brothers series

Set in an alternate universe where the Olympian gods have awakened from a two thousand year slumber and begun reclaiming the world, the series follows the human descendants of Ares, Derek Areios and his younger brother Liam, as they are swept up in a conspiracy that will either see the Titans remained in their prison, or be unleashed.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/series/230795-areios-brothers

Author - https://amybraunauthor.com/areios-brothers/

#2 Hunt of the Gods – June 4, 2019

AVAILABLE in print or ebook

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Gods-Areios-Brothers-Novel-ebook/dp/B07GCRJS1Z

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/storm-of-the-gods-amy-braun/1128858892

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/storm-of-the-gods

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Signed paperback copy of STORM OF THE GODS, various bookmarks, and postcards (US & Canada only), $25 Amazon (WW) – 1 winner each

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Follow the tour HERE for exclusive excerpts, guest posts and a giveaway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amy is a Canadian urban fantasy and horror author. Her work revolves around monsters, magic, mythology, and mayhem. She started writing in her early teens, and never stopped. She loves building unique worlds filled with fun characters and intense action. She is an active member of the Weekend Writing Warrior community.

When she isn't writing, she's reading, watching movies, taking photos, gaming, struggling with chocoholism and ice cream addiction, and diving headfirst into danger in Dungeons & Dragons campaigns.

Website - http://amybraunauthor.com/books/storm-of-the-gods