logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: a-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-11 15:19
Borrowing Trouble (A Nugget Romance Book 6) - Stacy Finz
Heating Up - Stacy Finz
Falling Hard - Stacy Finz
Riding High - Stacy Finz

Tempting Fate (Nugget #10)Nugget #10, I don't know if I ever said it in one of my reviews but I know I thought that I wouldn't care if Raylene ever got her own HEA, but I'm glad she did. She's the person everyone loves to hate and she finally meets someone who sees behind all the shine and snootiness and saw the head strong determined woman who regrets everything she did to the town she once loved; especially hurting the two people who loved her the most and now she's lost everything. She can't forgive herself because the town won't forgive her. I think this is one of those books that is best when you've read the other books in the series, but Raylene does have some flashbacks of her worst moments that fill in the blanks, or you can read Getting Lucky and Falling Hard those are the two with her story in them.

Gabe Moretti runs a business with Raylene's half brother, Logan. Logan asks Gabe to keep an eye on Raylene since she's not the most loved person in Nugget he wants to make sure she stay out of trouble and had back-up if she needs it. Gabe has heard the rumors about Raylene and it's not hard for him to believe it all but he finds it hard that the people from a the town that so far has been welcome and inviting can hate someone so much. Raylene has two things she wants to accomplish after Logan and Annie's wedding before she can finally move on from Nugget and never look back, find the gold her ancestor buried and sell off the last remaining plot of her family's land. After she finds her gold and sells off the land she can give the women's shelter she's been volunteering at the money they need to stay open and finally have enough start up money to start her own horse training ranch. But she has to find the gold first and Gabe insists on helping. Little things keep happening that raises suspicion that Raylene isn't the only ones out there looking for the gold.

Overall, this was a really good read. It was emotional not only between Raylene and Gabe but between her and the town she did some pretty low and horrible things and you can tell how much she regrets do them it really showed how much Raylene had changed since the beginning. The end was very exciting. I was surprised by how quickly the whole town flipped on their feelings for Raylene but hate isn't the opposite of love and they all loved her once they just needed something to love her for that was enough to forgive her of her past sins.

review 2018-12-11 11:00
Book Tour & Giveaway with Excerpt & Review! No Cowboys No Angles (Mystery Angel Romance #1) Petie McCarty!

Hello READERS! Today we have Petie McCarty joining us to tell us all about her the first book in her new romantic suspense series – No Cowboys No Angels! Don’t forget to enter the giveaway!

ABOUT THE BOOK

No Cowboys No Angels
The Mystery Angel Romances Book 1
by Petie McCarty
Genre: Romantic Suspense

Kellen Brand's inheritance turns out to be a whopper—one dilapidated farm in West Virginia and one guardian angel!

Since Kellen is convinced no sane woman would choose to live in Riverside, she vows to sell her farm and quick. Her handsome neighbor Luke Kenyon must block the farm sale or risk exposure of his family's secrets. While Kellen has located one potential buyer, she faces a town full of objectors. Someone is trying to frighten her off, and Luke is forced to step in and rescue her more than once.

Unfortunately, Kellen can't seem to stay out of trouble. She stumbles onto a clandestine hazardous-waste-dumping operation next to her farm, and she prays Luke has one more rescue up his sleeve. It's her only hope of staying alive.

Unless her mother really did leave her a guardian angel …

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This mystery romance keeps readers in suspense regarding the romance and the mysterious angels all the way through the steady to fast paced plot. The characters are strong, compelling and easily draw readers into their story which is a pretty rocky romance as this relationship starts off on the wrong foot. The heroine and hero both have some communication issues and the heroine is a bit hard to relate to in some circumstances because she has such contradicting traits. On one hand some of her issues are easily understood and her motivations make sense but then in regards to others they aren’t really clear but the she keep readers interested in what’s happening. The sparks flying between Luke and Kellan keeps the relationship on the edge as readers can never guess whether those sparks are going to lead to another clash of wills or a steamy kiss.

The suspense of the relationship also builds due to another suitor for Kellan, one she has a past with and is still close to. The danger and excitement of the story comes from some unscrupulous characters that won’t hesitate to do violence and a mean spirited sheriff. Readers are kept guessing whether there really is a guardian angel and just who he or she is. While some of the events that happen during the excitement and danger of the story is a little on the predictable side, the story is most entertaining and during all the revelations made toward the end of the story readers will want to read the next intriguing mystery in the series.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42766475-no-cowboys-no-angels

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/no-cowboys-no-angels-the-mystery-angel-romances-book-1-by-petie-mccarty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Cowboys No Angels is the 1st book in the Mystery Angel Romance series.

Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/series/160471-mystery-angel-romances

2 No Angels for Christmas (April 2019)
3 The Angel and the SEAL (June 2019)

AVAILABLE in ebook

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ7NVRC

EXCERPT 1

The frigid water closed in over Kellen, and she lashed out with both arms to force her head above the surface for a desperate breath. Her hiking boots would sign her death warrant. They already felt like concrete blocks. She had only minutes, maybe seconds, to keep herself afloat. She thrashed again, and this time her face barely cleared the water’s surface. She was ready and screamed with all her might.

Icy water filled her eyes, and her arms stroked har to keep her mouth above the water long enough to grab a precious lungful of air. She scissored her legs to help her dwindling buoyancy, but the physical act was so difficult with the boots on, her muscles screamed with the effort.

How many more times can I get a breath? Two, maybe three?

Her arm muscles strained in revolt as she scissored her legs again. She plummeted farther after each thrust, and her best effort barely pushed her mouth and nose above the surface. She didn’t scream again. There was no one around to hear, and she couldn’t spare the strength. Less than a minute had passed since she’d hit the freezing water.

Downward she stroked her arms hard, but the heavy flannel shirt dragged against the motion. She opened her eyes to see the surface, and at the peak of her thrust, her lips were still underwater. She tried to scissor her legs, but she had nothing left. She feared she would sink and flailed both arms upward. Death hovered at her shoulder, near as the blackest of shadows beneath the dock, tangible enough that she could reach out and touch the darkness. Another stroke downward, and she jerked her head back, ready to grab a breath. She could see a blurred shadow moving overhead. Hope buoyed her efforts to escape from the frigid arms of the river drawing her down, and she forced her way to the surface.

A huge hand plunged into the icy water and grabbed her right arm. Kellen felt her body straining toward the surface. The second her mouth was exposed to the air, she gasped for a breath. A cough wracked her frame and threatened the tenuous hold of the mighty hand on her arm. She sunk back down, her eyes filled with water, and her vision blurred. She knew she weighed a ton—with the soaked clothing and boots—and panicked thinking the hand couldn’t hold on. Yet she was dragged higher until another hand grabbed the back of her shirt, and her body careened up and sideways onto the deck. The mighty hands released her, and she clutched at the wooden planks to be sure she was far enough from the precipice to the icy water. She heaved two successive gasps, and a hard sob wracked her frame.

Two strong arms tugged her upright. She blinked rapidly to clear her blurred vision and saw Luke’s face, his dark eyes wide. Nothing had ever looked so good to her in all her life. With another hard sob, she threw herself into his arms and broke into tears. The brush with death shattered all her resolve and kindled emotions buried in the deepest recesses of her heart.

He yanked her roughly to him and clutched her tight to his chest, mumbling soothing words into her ear. His warmth seeped into her, and she clung to him like her lifeline, digging her fingers into his back, unwilling to let go and unable to stop crying.

“I almost d-drowned,” she stuttered, her face buried against his warm and now soaked chest.

“Good Lord, I know,” he rumbled and crushed her even tighter against him.

“If you had been a minute later,” she wheezed and tried to look up at him.

“Don’t even think that!”
She flinched and leaned back. His gaze looked hard and unyielding.

“Just be glad I got here in time,” he whispered harshly, and his eyes went black as onyx. He cupped her cheeks, lowered his mouth, and gently brushed his lips against hers.

The sizzle of heat shot straight to her heart and warmed her from the inside out. All she could manage was a nod. His kiss twisted all her wild emotions into a spinning vortex, allowing her only to react without thought, and she leaned in to kiss him again.

$15 gift card and 5 Duke du Jour ebooks

Follow the tour HERE for exclusive content and a giveaway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Petie spent a large part of her career working at Walt Disney World -- "The Most Magical Place on Earth" -- where she enjoyed working in the land of fairy tales by day and creating her own romantic fairy tales by night, including her new series, The Cinderella Romances. She eventually said good-bye to her "day" job to write her stories full-time. These days Petie spends her time writing sequels to her regency time travel series, Lords in Time, and her cozy-mystery-with-a-dash-of-romantic-suspense series, the Mystery Angel Romances.

Petie shares her home on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee with her horticulturist husband, a spoiled-rotten English Springer spaniel addicted to pimento-stuffed green olives, and a noisy Nanday conure named Sassy who made a cameo appearance in Angel to the Rescue.

Website - http://www.petiemccarty.com/

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/petie.mccarty

Twitter - https://twitter.com/authorpetie

Pintrest - https://www.pinterest.com/petiemccarty

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/author/petiemccarty

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6094579.Petie_McCarty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THANKS FOR JOINING US WITH NEWS OF THE GREAT NEW BOOK, PETIE MCCARTY!

THANKS FOR VISITING, READERS!
HOPE YOU FOUND A GREAT BOOK TO ADD TO YOUR SHELVES!

review 2018-12-11 00:26
Not the Duke's Darling by Elizabeth Hoyt
Not the Duke's Darling - Elizabeth Hoyt

First in the new Greycourt series, Hoyt starts us off with a spot of danger as our heroine, Freya, is on the run from some men and finds herself face to face with her childhood crush, Christopher, but who she also blames for her brother's downfall. There's some background foundation to the hows and whys of where are characters are at in life. The main thread is Freya's brother, Ran, tried to elope with Julian Greycourt's sister, she ended up dying (we aren't given specifics), and Christopher just stood by while Ran was beaten bad enough he ended up losing his right hand. Ran, Julian, and Christopher were bestfriends but this fractured their bond and they all separated, the other members of the family cut ties all with each other also.

The Wise Women had long been hunted by Dunkelders— nasty, superstitious fanatics who knew about the Wise Women and believed they were witches who should be burned.

While the ill fated elopement gave us the underlining emotional tones, the Wise Women that Freya is the Macha (spy) for, gives us the suspense as she is trying to stop a law in the House of Lords that gives free reign to declaring women witches along with her trying to hide from members of the Dunkelders, men who hunt “witches”. These are the two main plot threads but there are numerous other ones, some slight and others weighty, that at times only clog an already full story. Christopher has PTSD induced anxiety from his time in India, we get povs from an old friend of Freya's, Messalina Greycourt, who's storyline looks to be set-up for the next in the series, an imprisoned wife, and a whole slew of secondary characters that get little mini-plots of their own. I like full stories but none of these threads or plots were fully fleshed out and it left a lot feeling shallow and dull.

This, this was what he’d been missing without even realizing it: genuine conversation. Genuine feeling.

The romance and chemistry between Christopher and Freya was severely lacking for me; I had more fond feelings for the relationship between him and his dog. Hoyt has been a favorite with word play, sexual and taunting, but these two never sparked; it felt like he just found her attractive out of nowhere, while she relied on childhood feelings and the color of his pretty blue eyes. While their bedroom scenes didn't start ridiculously early, besides kissing once or twice, when they do start to get hot and heavy, Freya's first move is to give him a blowjob, because of course. The latter second half brought more sexual scenes but I almost found myself skimming them as their emotional connection wasn't there.

He might be a duke now, but she was a de Moray woman , small, swift, and above all ruthless.

My biggest disappoint and what frustrated me the most was that Hoyt introduced these interesting ideas, plots, or instances but they all happen off script. The intense ill fated elopement? Happens before this story takes place, no prologue to introduce, show, and explain the basis for the whole the series. Christopher's time in India? No flash back scenes to help immerse the reader into the emotional turmoil of his PTSD or his relationship with is first wife. Freya spending time with the Wise Women? It takes an absurd amount of time for the reader to even get a full explanation of who and what the Wise Women are, let alone the author writing and showing scenes of Freya interacting with the women. This could have been a great emotional fulfillment moment of showing women taking care of one another, bucking the system in a way they could, and female bonding while providing a solid and understandable reason for why this group was so important to Freya and why she might shy away from marrying Christopher.

I missed Hoyt's normally atmospheric writing, I did not feel the time period at all, and the sexual heat between the leads that she has a knack for expressing. This honestly felt kind of generic and with dukes popping up everywhere, I'm not sure I could pick this book out of a lineup. The second book is set-up here and with two leads that at least seem like they have some spark, I will give it a try but am hoping for more showing than telling and emotion.

review 2018-12-10 15:14
One Sentence Review – The City by Dean Koontz @deankoontz
The City - Dean Koontz

I have been a huge fan of Dean Koontz for years, so when I saw this for review, I had to grab it. Then…I wished I hadn’t.

Thanks to Net Galley and Bantam.

The City (The City, #1)

Amazon  /  Audiobook  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Well, what can I say…I never even read the blurb because…it’s Dean Koontz…and I was so disappointed to be denied my dose of horror that I was expecting, though I did finish it and gave it a 2 star rating for that reason, I could never get past my expectations and I know I will be reading blurbs from here on out.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The City by Dean Koontz.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 2 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

The city changed my life and showed me that the world is deeply mysterious. I need to tell you about her and some terrible things and wonderful things and amazing things that happened . . . and how I am still haunted by them. Including one night when I died and woke and lived again.

Here is the riveting, soul-stirring story of Jonah Kirk, son of an exceptional singer, grandson of a formidable “piano man,” a musical prodigy beginning to explore his own gifts when he crosses a group of extremely dangerous people, with shattering consequences. Set in a more innocent time not so long ago, The City encompasses a lifetime but unfolds over three extraordinary, heart-racing years of tribulation and triumph, in which Jonah first grasps the electrifying power of music and art, of enduring friendship, of everyday heroes.

The unforgettable saga of a young man coming of age within a remarkable family, and a shimmering portrait of the world that shaped him, The City is a novel that speaks to everyone, a dazzling realization of the evergreen dreams we all share. Brilliantly illumined by magic dark and light, it’s a place where enchantment and malice entwine, courage and honor are found in the most unexpected quarters, and the way forward lies buried deep inside the heart.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/one-sentence-review-the-city-by-dean-koontz
review 2018-12-10 14:36
Monday Mini Review – Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King #StephenKing #OwenKing
Sleeping Beauties: A Novel - Stephen King,Owen King

Pretty cool cover for Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King.

Publisher:  Simon & Schuster

Sleeping Beauties

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Sleeping Beauties is a collaboration between Stephen & Owen King, so I don’t expect it to be a Stephen King ‘original’. That being said, I did enjoy the story, but was left wondering if Stephen has lost his mojo or is in semi retirement. I hope not, because I have read a vast majority of his work and would love to have more of the old stuff. What gripped me most about the book, is the importance of the women. Hey guys, take a listen here. BUT, women without men, or vice versa, is not a workable solution to any problem. This fantasy exposes human failings, sharing their hopelessness, sadness, anger and rage, good and bad, and every emotion you can imagine. In the end, we do the best we can. There are plenty of characters for you to love and hate, but be careful, your favorite may not survive.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze.

If they are awakened, and the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place.

The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease.

Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied, or is she a demon who must be slain?

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked