logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: added-based-on-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-14 02:04
Obscura - audiobook
Obscura - Joe Hart,Christina Traister

This book combines sci-fi, horror, and suspense into a gripping adventure filled with surprises. I listened to this book every chance I had and stayed up late last night to finish it. As much as I thought I knew about how it would turn out, I was still surprised.

Gillian is a neurosurgeon drafted by NASA to figure out what's going wrong with the astronauts on the space station. Turns out Gillian wasn't given all the details or told the entire truth about the situation. Gillian is a character with many flaws, but she is strong and never gives up. Even when it seems like all hope is lost, Gillian finds a way to keep going.

I listened to the audiobook and loved it. The narrator was amazing; I felt like I was trapped with Gillian - the fear, the claustrophobia, the doubt about who to trust. One thing that irked me a bit was the Swedish accent the narrator used for one of the characters. It was a bit like listening to Dracula as a neurosurgeon's assistant.

This is a fabulous book. Highly recommended.

I read this for the New Release square

text 2018-09-12 02:51
Reading progress update: I've listened 400 out of 632 minutes.
Obscura - Joe Hart,Christina Traister

As if being alone on a spaceship isn't enough... there are voices, smells, doors opening, things missing.

Poor Gillian thinks she's going crazy and I'm not sure she's wrong.

text 2018-09-11 01:55
Reading progress update: I've listened 60 out of 632 minutes.

I'm listening to this one for my New Release square:

review 2018-09-09 00:36
The Elementals by Michael McDowell
The Elementals - Michael McDowell,R.C. Bray

I read this one for the Southern Gothic square.

The story begins with a funeral and an unusual tradition. Afterward, the Savage & McCray families escape to Beldame where there are 3 identical Victorian houses and nothing else. One house for each family and the third house which is being devoured by the sand.

I love the way the author introduces the characters and gradually gets you invested in them. He brings you into their world and the little quirks in their relationships. Then the supernatural gradually creeps up on you and bam!

I liked that the strongest characters were the oldest (the black maid/good witch) and the youngest (13-year-old girl skeptic) and the relationship that developed between them. The atmosphere is so descriptive that I felt like I was on the beach with them.

Great choice for Southern Gothic horror. Thanks to all of you who read this for previous Halloween Bingos and brought it to my attention with your amazing reviews.

text 2018-09-04 01:40
Reading progress update: I've listened 184 out of 507 minutes.
The Elementals - Michael McDowell,R.C. Bray

I'm reading this for the Southern Gothic square.