logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-16 17:45
Lovesick couldn't be a more appropriate title
Lovesick - Ángeles Mastretta,Margaret Sayers Peden

"When did you get here?" Emilia asked him, kissing him as she had when their lips were smooth and unwrinkled. The eternal throbbing beat below her breastbone.

"I never leave," said Daniel, stroking her head with its scent of mysteries.

Spanning almost 50yrs, this is the story of Emilia. The vast majority of the story takes place during the Mexican Revolution (1910-20) and does a good job shining a light on how discontent, injustice, and passion bring about such wars. Emilia's childhood friend, who grows up to be her love, Daniel, is more than full of passion for the war and constantly leaves and is at battle leaving Emilia. Their love story is one people in their younger years would find exciting, dramatic, lustful, and love torn; a lovestory that is exciting to read about but hellish to live.

Emilia's father was a pharmacist, and she starts to study under him and grow her own passion but for medicine. She naturally and fights her way to becoming a doctor, no mean feat during this time period. She meets a Dr. Zavalza and love triangle ensues.

I really enjoyed the first 70% of this, as we get a historical feel for the Revolution with discussion and interaction with Diaz, Madero, Zapata. I do wish we could have had some scenes from Daniel to get a feel for the battles but this look at it from ordinary citizens was encompassing in its own way, too. Emilia's aunt and a poet who is in love with said aunt, were my favorite secondary characters and I would happily read the aunt's life story, what a woman she sounds like.

The last 30% was very rushed through as we get some of the conflict following the Revolution with Zapatistas and Cardenas with Daniel and Emilia continuing their relationship in a not thought of conventional way. Years pass quickly and Emilia becoming a doctor and having children is quickly told. This rushed ending kind of gave all the emotional upheaval and drama, I as the reader, went through less gravitas.

Lovesick couldn't be a more apt title as Emilia and Daniel's relationship wasn't exactly healthy. Daniel's passion for the war and how he constantly puts it above Emilia and Emilia's inability to let impulsive Daniel and his frenzy for fighting go in favor of Zavalza's calm supporting love will make you want to pull your hair out.

The historical context was weaved expertly into the story and Emilia's life journey will definitely make you feel.

review 2018-11-16 14:24
ARC REVIEW Lord Carlton's Courtship by Alexandra Ivy

Lord Carlton's Courtship

Originally published in 2000 under the name Debbie Raleigh, Alexandra Ivy has re-released this with a beautiful new cover. I enjoyed this one, it's not one of my favorites I think I prefer her PNR but it was a good read. The story was well written and I liked the way it played out. I liked the characters too, even though Roma did get annoyingly stubborn at one point.

All it took was one meeting with Roma Allendyle for Lord Giles Carlton to be completely besotted and one conversation to fall head over heels. But Roma isn't looking for a husband she looking for her missing brother and only after Carlton points out that as a woman she will get no information of anyone in the Home Office does she finally give in and let Carlton help her; that by no way means she going to stop looking herself. It bugs Roma that Carlton is helping her, she can't figure out his motive and the fact that he can find out information about her brother because he's a man really bugs her. Roma also keeps getting distracted by how handsome he is and why out of all the women in London he wishes to be with her a head strong, intelligent, country girl who hates London. She can't seem to realize Carlton's helping her is also his way or courting her too.

Overall, it's an quick (unless you are constantly distracted by your kids like I was) and easy read. I loved the characters and the action was pretty intense there at the end. It's a worthwhile read. I really loved the atypical courtship between Carlton and Roma.

review 2018-11-16 11:00
Review Tour with Excerpt & 2 Reviews! Jinn & Nitara (Djinn Rebellion # 1 & 2) Jessica Cage!

Title: Jinn
Author: Jessica Cage
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Cover Designer: Kiff Shaik
Editor: There For You Editing Services
Publisher: Caged Fantasies Publications
Publication Date: June 15th, 2018
Hosted by: Lady Amber's PR

Magical creatures rule the lands, and the strongest are about to be challenged.

For centuries, Jinn has watched from afar as dragons, fairies, vampires, and witches, fought to claim a part of the world as their own. Afraid that he would join with an opposing force, no one disputed his neutral stance.

An old friend presents Jinn with an offer he can’t refuse. The love he thought he’d lost forever is still alive, and he has the map to her location.

Mike wants his people freed from the slums and Jinn has the power to make that happen. In return for his aid, Mike will lead the quest into the darkest corner of the earth to find her.

With a new player on the field, everyone is on edge and for good reason. Jinn will go to hell and back for the woman he loves, and he’ll destroy anyone who gets in his way.

The strongest about to be challenged in this rousing and magical new series. The story is full of wonderfully strong, bold characters that make readers sit up and take notice and each of them have their own quirks in this story which makes them quite entertaining. The first book’s main hero is Jinn who has been cursed and has interest in pick a side in the battles and wars being fought between the all the magical creatures who now rule the land until an old friend presents him with an offer he can’t refuse. This fast paced plot keeps reader glued to the pages as Jinn rounds up some friends to save his wife whom he thought was dead but there is a new player on the field and it won’t be easy. Surprising twists and lots of thrilling action ensure that there is never a dull moment and the author has brought the story to vivid life which it makes it easy for the readers to become completely caught up in the story. Although this does mean the story does end of a bit of a cliffhanger, the ending is quite climatic and is a rather unexpected twist that ensures readers will want to find out what happens in the next book,. This post-apocalyptic world is intriguing with some unique and creative elements that make for a very entertaining read that readers will have a hard time putting down once they begin.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40196968-jinn

Editor: There For You Editing Services
Publisher: Caged Fantasies Publications
Publication Date: August 17th, 2018
Hosted by: Lady Amber's PR

He risked it all to save her from the clutches of evil.

She crushed his heart and walked away.

Nitara has spent her life waiting for Jinn to return to her, but when he finally does, it's far too late. Daegal, the evil warlock who cursed the pair and turned them to djinn, has been defeated, but the effects of his dirty work are far from gone.

Now she has to return to a place that holds her heart hostage. Things aren't what they seem. Her time away has weakened her position and now she is faced with a choice: fight or flee. However, fleeing just isn't an option.

Tyrellis is the unrightful ruler of Reverie, land of the vampires, and because of Daegal, he now possesses control over Nitara. As long as she is by his side, his rule will last unchallenged. While she is away his enemies act to stand against him.

Will Nitara save Tyrellis from the vampires who seek to dethrone him or will she let him fall in hopes of her gaining own freedom? Will Jinn forgive her for breaking his heart?

Find out what happens next in the second installment of the Djinn Rebellion Series from USA Today Bestselling Author, Jessica Cage!

All the wonderfully, strong and bold characters from the previous book is back along with some new ones and they have not pulled any punches as they discover that they have to embark on another rescue mission only there is a bit of problem…they have to convince Jinn to help. This emotionally gripping story is about Nitara whom the gang rescued from Daegal in the first book and who crushed Jinn’s heart, is in the clutches of the King of Reverie, the land of vampires. Readers can’t help but get caught up in all the intrigue, twists and thrills that take place throughout the story as everyone realizes that not everything is as it seems. The fast paced plot keeps readers on the edge of their seat as multiple plots takes place which guarantees that readers won’t find a dull moment, especially as enemies come from unexpected directions. The dialogue is witty and adds to the entertainment of this story immensely as all of the characters are once again fighting together. To add sweetness to the story, several of the characters are involved in romances or trying to at least and there is also some red hot passion to heat up the pages. But the relationship between Nitara and Jinn will tug at heart strings as Jinn tries not to let his broken heart get in the way of their mission. Once again the author has brought her story to vivid life that sparks the imagination and draws readers in and enthralls until the very end.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41046738-nitara

Jinn and Nitara are books # 1 & 2 in the Djinn Rebellion series!

AVAILABLE in print or ebook

Jinn: https://amzn.to/2y8zmiV

Nitara: https://amzn.to/2P9l9Xf

The city of Vilar was one of the most beautiful that existed. Surrounded by lands devastated by war, it retained a beauty that seemed alien. The fairies used their magic to retain the life of their home through the war. None of the toxic flames ever made it through their shields. Gone were the iron structures made by men, the buildings that scraped the sky had been torn down. Every building grew from the ground, having its own pulse as life still coursed through limbs of trees and magically reinforced vines that were woven together to craft structures of strength.

It wasn't just the buildings, or the few skyscrapers that stood tall and proud; it was the minor things, the plants and flowers lining every path. It was the wildlife that roamed the streets and lived in perfect harmony with the fairies. This was what the world imagined it would be like after the humans lost control. Only, Vilar was an anomaly in the new world order. A family of langur monkeys swung above him as his bike rolled along that pathway, the engine disturbing the tranquil atmosphere as he passed.

“Are you sure you want to go there?” Praia asked, joining him after he’d parked his bike. They walked down the street headed to Vilar, the epicenter of the fairies’ territory. Jinn had asked her to meet him so he could give her an update on everything that was happening. She knew it meant he needed to vent before doing something really stupid. Never one to say no to the man who conjured her steaks, she agreed. “Nothing good can come of this.”

“If they have the information I need, then yeah, I’m sure.” As usual, every person they passed by looked at them with questioning gazes. It was no secret that Praia was friends with Jinn, but it wasn’t often that they were seen together in public. Hell, it wasn’t often that Praia was seen amongst the fairies at all, and Jinn … well, he was nothing more than an apparition.

“What exactly are you willing to give them in return? These aren’t the same fairies you may remember, they’ve changed. You know that. Anything you have to request from them, they are going to want a trade, they’re going to want to bargain with you. You gotta think about that, Jinn.” The short fae struggled to keep up with his long strides, but succeeded in not falling behind.

“Yes, I’m well aware. I also know that they lied to me. In exchange for my help they were supposed to provide validation of what happened to Nitara. They were the ones who told me she had passed.” He marched forward as he spoke, his temper rising. “They were the ones who fed me false information! All these years, she has been out there and I haven’t been looking for her. She is trapped in a cage somewhere and I just allowed it! I held up my end of the bargain, it's time that they did.”

“I’m just saying, you may want to rethink things, sleep on it for a bit.” Praia skid to a halt as Jinn turned on her. They stood, statues on display for the fairies to gawk at.

“Look, Praia, I didn’t tell you about this so that you would feel a need to come with me. I understand if you don’t want to do this, but I need you to understand that I have to go in there. You can’t expect me to turn away from this. All this time, I thought she was gone, I thought she was dead. Now I find out that it was a lie.

Hell, I don’t even know if this photo is real.” He took the picture from his pocket, and held it up. “I need to do this. I have to find out, regardless of what fucked up fox trap I may be walking into right now. I have to know the truth.”

“Nitara, she meant that much to you?” Yeah, she knew about Nitara, but Jinn had never spoken to her in depth about his love for the woman, or how much he would put on the line to save her. Jinn would walk through fire for his wife, and for the first time he was really allowing the world to see what his love for her meant.

He turned back toward the path that led to the city’s center, pulled his hair up into a loose bun, and took a deep breath. How could he put it to words so the fae, who was still in many senses a young girl, could understand how he felt? His gaze swept over his shoulder to the short woman who waited for his explanation, the thoughts came as best he could phrase them. “She meant more to me than the earth, the sky, and the endless universe beyond. She was my world, my air, so much so that my lungs refused to expand without her. Every fiber of my being is hers to command. If there is any chance that I get to have that back, that I get to love her and feel her life beside me, fueling my own, there is no way that I’m going to let that go.”

“Wow, Jinn. I had no idea.” She smiled at him, tears on the brink of her eyes. “Well hell, I hope someone cares about me as much as you do for her. You know that I’m by your side.”

“As long as I keep you fed with steak.” He smiled and winked at his friend. He knew that she would support him, no matter how insane the cause. She always had.

“See, we have an understanding!” Her laughter trailed behind her as she hurried to keep up with him.

Award winning and USA Today Bestselling author, Jessica Cage was born and raised in Chicago, IL. Writing has always been a passion for her. She dabbles in artistic creations of all sorts but at the end of the day, it's the pen that her hand itches to hold. Jessica had never considered following her dream to be a writer because she was told far too often "There is no money in writing." So she chose the path most often traveled. During pregnancy, she asked herself an important question. How would she be able to inspire her unborn son to follow his dreams and reach for the stars, if she never had the guts to do it herself? Jessica decided to take a risk and unleash the plethora of characters and their crazy adventurous worlds that had previously existed only in her mind, into the realm of readers. She did this with hopes to inspire not only her son but herself. Inviting the world to tag along on her journey to become the writer she has always wanted to be. She hopes to continue writing and bringing her signature Caged Fantasies to readers everywhere.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/2qGRcDw

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4574000.Jessica_Cage

Twitter: https://twitter.com/writa_jlodi

Web: http://www.jessicacage.com/

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jcageauthor

HOSTED BY

THANKS FOR VISITING & HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!

review 2018-11-16 07:10
Thoughts: The Woman Left Behind
The Woman Left Behind - Linda Howard

The Woman Left Behind

by Linda Howard
Book 2 of GO-Team

Jina Modell works in Communications for a paramilitary organization, and she really likes it.  She likes the money, she likes the coolness factor—and it was very cool, even for Washington, DC.  She liked being able to kick terrorist butts without ever leaving the climate-controlled comfort of the control room.

But when Jina displays a really high aptitude for spatial awareness and action, she’s reassigned to work as an on-site drone operator in the field with one of the GO-teams, an elite paramilitary unit.  The only problem is she isn’t particularly athletic, to put it mildly, and in order to be fit for the field, she has to learn how to run and swim for miles, jump out of a plane, shoot a gun... or else be out of a job.

Team leader Levi, call sign Ace, doesn’t have much confidence in Jina--who he dubbed Babe as soon as he heard her raspy, sexy voice--making it through the rigors of training.  The last thing he needs is some tech geek holding them back from completing a dangerous, covert operation.  In the following months, however, no one is more surprised than he when Babe, who hates to sweat, begins to thrive in her new environment, displaying a grit and courage that wins her the admiration of her hardened, battle-worn teammates.  What’s even more surprising is that the usually very disciplined GO-team leader can’t stop thinking about kissing her smart, stubborn mouth…or the building chemistry and tension between them.

Meanwhile, a powerful Congresswoman is working behind the scenes to destroy the GO-teams, and a trap is set to ambush Levi’s squad in Syria.  While the rest of the operatives set off on their mission, Jina remains at the base to control the surveillance drone, when the base is suddenly attacked with explosives.  Thought dead by her comrades, Jina escapes to the desert where, brutally tested beyond measure, she has to figure out how to stay undetected by the enemy and make it to her crew in time before they’re exfiltrated out of the country.

But Levi never leaves a soldier behind, especially the brave woman he’s fallen for.  He’s bringing back the woman they left behind, dead or alive.

The truth is that this book probably doesn't deserve more than 3 Stars.  It isn't the best outlined, and would even come across as fairly boring to anyone looking for an action-packed story where our heroine gets left behind, and needs to fend for herself until her team comes back for her.  But the summary blurb is a little bit misleading, frankly, and the action-packed part of the book really doesn't take place until well into the last half of the book.

The Woman Left Behind had tons of potential to be a great book, but it fell short of that by maybe spending too much time on Jina's day-to-day training life with the GO-Team she's been re-assigned to work with.  This part of the book, in itself, is already a little unbelievable, and requires a very high willingness to suspend disbelief.

By narrative, Jina ends up spending six months on physical training and drone training.  In the book, there are times where you want to get on with the story.  On the other hand, I can't find myself just blowing off that first half of the book she spends challenging herself and pushing herself to physical limits she never knew she had.  And I honestly loved the camaraderie built between her and a team of macho super paramilitary men who didn't think she was going to make it in the first place.

Color me contradictory--those six months she spends getting to know her knew teammates was truly loads of fun.  I love a character driven story, and I love great character interaction, and this book certainly had that in spades.  To others, it might come off dragged out and too banal for a romantic suspense, or military romance thriller.  And once again, the entire ordeal requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief anyway--because who in their right mind actually thinks its a great idea to take a bunch of chair-bound tech geeks and force them through high impact military precision training so that they can join these elite GO-Teams in dangerous operations?

I have a hard time believing that the higher ups couldn't have just transferred in some military personnel, already trained for battle, who also have great tech skills.

But moving along, because something about that entire training sequence sort of appealed to me anyway.

Yeah, I'm kind of wishy-washy in my opinions.

And speaking of the romance, for romance lovers, this book might also kind of fall to the wayside.

While we DO have a lovely couple to focus on, we unfortunately don't get to see much of the chemistry, or the romantic bond building between Jina and Levi.  And also, Levi sort of runs hot and cold, which helps him get categorized squarely on my asshole list.  I don't care that he also had some very good personality traits, he crossed a couple lines he shouldn't have crossed and that makes him an asshole.  The way that the romance was resolved made me a bit pissy.

On the other hand, I like how Jina's own self-revelation journey/conflict was concluded.  Somehow, it seems appropriate for her.

So without a whole lot of suspense and without a whole lot of romance, and without even a focal conflict, this book, instead, ends up becoming a sort of self-journey book for Jina, as an individual.  And it's a fairly thought-provoking journey that I thoroughly enjoyed.

And we'll just kindly side-step that strange, background villain subplot that lurked along the entire book, and took up precious book space every few chapters.

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2018/11/thoughts-woman-left-behind.html
review 2018-11-15 15:47
Review: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein - Kiersten White

Elizabeth Lavenza hasn't had a proper meal in weeks. Her thin arms are covered with bruises from her "caregiver," and she is on the verge of being thrown into the streets . . . until she is brought to the home of Victor Frankenstein, an unsmiling, solitary boy who has everything--except a friend.

Victor is her escape from misery. Elizabeth does everything she can to make herself indispensable--and it works. She is taken in by the Frankenstein family and rewarded with a warm bed, delicious food, and dresses of the finest silk. Soon she and Victor are inseparable.

But her new life comes at a price. As the years pass, Elizabeth's survival depends on managing Victor's dangerous temper and entertaining his every whim, no matter how depraved. Behind her blue eyes and sweet smile lies the calculating heart of a girl determined to stay alive no matter the cost . . . as the world she knows is consumed by darkness.

4 ½ ★

This is a wonderful retelling of Frankenstein, but full disclosure before I start. It has been way to long since I read Frankenstein and only remember the basics and no details. So this review will only focus on the book read and not be compared to the original.

The first few chapters were a bit sow for me but it picked up fast and you get thrown right into the world of Elizabeth, Justine and Victor along with some others.

I loved the writing it was so nice and smooth to read even with sort if dual-timelines, which can be confusing sometimes but Kiersten White done an awesome job with it. It just fit and made sense.

It is about Victor Frankenstein and with that super dark, chilling and gory. It is not for people who have issues with gore, medical experimentation, use of corpses and child abuse. All that being said, it was super fun to read, it was dark, chilling but fun.

So if you looking for a chilling read, this is the one…… I enjoyed very much and had a hard time putting it down, in fact I stayed up super late to finish the book but it was so worth it.

Overall I rate this chillingly, fun book 4 ½ ★

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/11/15/review-the-dark-descent-of-elizabeth-frankenstein-by-kiersten-white