logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-14 20:57
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Review)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling

You guys, I have good news! There here is a Harry Potter book I actually liked! You were beginning to think it wasn’t going to happen, huh?

My string of short reviews isn’t over quite yet, since I finished this book more than a year ago. I have definitely learned my lesson that my reviews are next to worthless if they aren’t written within at least a month of finishing the book (unless I’ve taken extremely detailed notes, which I certainly didn’t do here). Considering I’ve been a few chapters into Order of the Phoenix for almost a year now, I might just reread this one to get back into the swing of things; if that’s the case, I’ll definitely write a more detailed review then!

This is where Rowling’s writing finally begins to mature and Harry starts to feel some genuine emotion. Goblet of Fire has always been my favorite of the Harry Potter films, and I’m incredibly relieved that I enjoyed the book. The overall plot of the series finally began to kick in, and it felt much less like a string of happy-go-lucky mysteries than the first three books. My biggest complaint with the series has been that I don’t love Rowling’s writing (still true) and I feel I have no emotional connection with Harry. While my feelings on the writing haven’t changed quite yet, I am ecstatic to see development from Harry, and I’m thrilled to know that whatever happens in the next book, at least I’ll finally see Harry actual feel something genuine and realistic. This book cracked him open so much more, and it’s nice to begin to feel excited again about reading these books, which I know contain stories I already love.

Overall: The more I think about it, the more I believe I should reread this book before diving into Order of the Phoenix again, just so I can get the excitement back again (and write a better review than this). I was told when I started the series that I should consider just skipping to Goblet of Fire, and boy, turns out they were right! I’m finally excited to be reading Harry Potter instead of wondering why I don’t just watch the movies instead.

Read the review on my blog:

review 2017-12-14 17:05
Buried Alive in Sinful Vows by Kristine Mason @KristineMason7
Sinful Vows (Book 3 Sinful C.O.R.E.) (C.O.R.E. Series) - Kristine Mason

WOO HOO, get your copy of Sinful Vows by Kristine Mason now.

OMG. What a fabulous cover for Sinful Vows by Kristine Mason.

I am a huge fan of Kristine Mason’s and I am so happy to be back in her world. I know there will be laughs, danger and death, not necessarily in that order, and I look forward to digging in. LOL

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

Kristine Mason can go from light and sweet to dark and deadly at the snap of a finger.

A secret to be kept. How far to go to keep it? He went all the way, and once started, his nightmares drove him.

Whitney was patiently waiting for the right man to come along, taking a ribbing from Andy. Her and Andy had an easy relationship, working side by side, sharing lively banter. She looks at him as an older brother.

Whitney is the first female detective in the narc unit of Cuyoga County Sheriff’s Department in Cleveland, Ohio. But, her biological clock is tick, tick, ticking away, so when she goes undercover in the burbs, with a fake husband and ‘white picket fence’, I know there is romance in the air. Enter CORE. And a hunka burning love is coming her way.

Let’s meet Sloan North, ‘a giant, hairy beast, covered in leather, denim and chains.’

She’s an ‘Amazonian Barbie’ and a bit too mouthy and bossy for him. Guess he’ll need to get over it, because between you and me, they will be hooking up for the long term.

Kristine Mason has a way with writing and descriptions, bringing her characters to life with a humorous hint and lively banter.

“How do you fit in this thing?” “Just fine.” They are talking about her Fiat 500 hatchback.

“You should too. If not, I’ll open the sunroof and you can put your head through there.”

It keeps on going and I can’t help but laugh out loud. Wonderful dialogue and I commend Kristine Mason’s ability to write it. It appears to be done so effortlessly.

I love when he pulled off his shirt at the department store, to try on the shirt Whitney had chosen for him in his new role as a suburban husband. WHOA, I can see it now. And the women shoppers reaction. “I’d keep him naked.” LOL

Hilarious writing of Whitney and Sloan’s dialogue and thoughts. Kept me in stitches.

Usually Kristine Mason’s stories are dark and dangerous and I have a feeling we’ll get to that, but I am liking all the fun dialogue and thoughts running through their heads.

I love when he forgot he was carrying her around their new fake home…and she let him.

The kids at the door were so sweet and funny.

I love Whitney leaving sticky notes for him everywhere, bossing him from afar. For being so organized, she sure is a slob.

Suburbia – we have the slut, the gossip, the dickhead…Sloan fights the whole shebang…suburbia, fake wife…but begins to nest, fixing this, planting that, buying this.

The Goldhirsch brothers…

I even feel bad for the serial killer. How is it possible for me to feel bad for someone that buries people alive? I hope that doesn’t say bad things about me. LOL I think it just says great things about Kristine Mason’s writing. She has several plots running simultaneously.

Whitney and Sloan act like a couple of teenagers trying to show the other they don’t like each other, afraid of being hurt or embarrassed. When they finally confront their interest, it is so cute, innocent, and childishly sweet.

Her best friend, Morgan…what a hoot. Sometimes the peripheral characters pop in and steal the show.

When Whitney’s parents come to their pretend home, I couldn’t help but laugh at her mother’s comments. Kristine does seem to sneak in an Ohio State fan in her novels. I catch it, because I am a Michigan Wolverine fan. Have no fear. We get along great.

I bounced back and forth on the rating, because I LOVE Kristine’s ability to take me into a deep, dark place with characters that scare the holy crap out of me and make me revel in the evil that men do. Sinful Vows does not quite take me there. Sure, we have some evil guys, doing evil things, but we are in suburbia, playing pretend house and enjoying all the humor that entails.

BUT, as you can see from my rambling review, I just want to keep sharing more and more and more, so…you bet ya…5 Stars it is.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Sinful Vows by Kristine Mason.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 5 Stars

Read more here.

MY REVIEWS FOR KRISTINE MASON’S NOVELS

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/buried-alive-in-sinful-vows-by-kristine-mason-kristinemason7
review 2017-12-14 12:41
Time Travel Gone All Wrong... So Is The Book Too...
All Our Wrong Todays - Elan Mastai

I love time-travel stories. There are those that really open up a world of twist and turns or, as they say, 'butterfly effect' where one person make one mistake, could change a whole timeline. There are many time-travel stories abound but how many truly know how to write a good one? Well, All Our Wrong Todays is a book I do not know how to give a rating. There are some good points and some bad points and one, probably very flawed consistency of the writing itself. This is Elan Mastai's first book and even though I understand its purpose, the execution isn't up to that standard.

It opens with a narration. Written in such a way like a memoir where chapters are about 2 to 5 pages long. It opens in the year 2016 where life is good. Yes, the future of 2016 isn't much like ours. Hovering cars, functional robots that is dedicated to you, no printed papers and synthesizer food is unlimited. Tom Barren is a son of a scientist named Victor Barren, brilliant in so many ways but not so as a father figure in the family. Tom's mother died a few years back and on the most important day his father wanted to reveal the world his greatest creation - a time machine based on Lionel Goettreider's creation of the Goettreider Engine in 1965. Tom was not a scientist, he's just someone that fails in his life in what he do and wreck things up. Enter Penelope Weschler, a chrononaut in preparation to be the first woman to enter time travel, Tom soon fall in loves with her. And then... some thing horrible happens. Because of that 'some thing' horrible, Tom uses the machine to go back in time only... to create more problems. Hence, created a different time line... one that is our modern day 2016.

Yup, this is how it started. At the beginning of a read, it was good. The narration was good, the pacing was good but some where on the 2nd act of the book, it felt slightly off course. And as I go further, I realize how bad this turn out to be to a point it makes me wonder whether this is going any where. I realize the writing is sporadic. To some point, that this was not the author's voice. Its like he is writing for the sake of trying different styles. Yes, there are moment that are funny and there are moments I just felt lost. What is he trying to prove and the philosophy of time travel is one to ponder. At the beginning, he did mention a few references of famous time travel stories but soon, he is creating an analogy of uncertainty that really push off the reading. Towards the end, it was a book that I did not felt satisfied at all. The ending was just... too convenient. And of course, there is so much confusion in writing that it does leaves me unhappy of why such paradox in outline of the plot.

All Our Wrong Todays is a difficult book to rate. To me, it was good and bad. It was at its interesting moments and then it was at its worst. Overall, it leaves me confuse because I have no idea what was the author's intention. I can't say its a bad book as it has its good points but this is one science fiction time travel book that is no where up there or below. My main problem is there is too much narratives in the book even though its short. If taken away those narratives this book would have been a better read. I do understand the function of writing history of the main and supporting characters main motivation but it does kill it off, especially the theories and its philosophy of time travel. Overall, I can say I can give a hard 3.5 out of 5 star for this but to recommend this book, I doubt so.

review 2017-12-14 10:00
New Release Review! Endless Chase (Dalakis Passion #5) by N.J. Walters
Endless Chase - N.J. Walters

The final book in the sizzling Dalakis Passion vampire romance series by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author N. J. Walters!

Since the night her parents were brutally murdered, Katya Markova has been driven by a dark quest for vengeance. When her search for the killers leads her to the heart of Transylvania and the ancestral home of the Dalakis, she hopes to finally take her revenge and put her horrific memories and the souls of her parents to rest. Then she meets the mesmerizing Chase Deveraux, and his intensely passionate touch threatens to weaken her resolve as she surrenders to his sensual promise.

With his life in disarray, Chase has retreated to the remote castle of the Dalakis clan to sort things out in isolation, but instead is inexplicably drawn to the mysterious Katya. Instantly spellbound by her tough warrior exterior and compelling beauty, Chase finds that Katya captivates him like no other woman has before—until he learns of her dark intent and is torn between his own needs and those of his family.

Because Katya is enmeshed in a world of lies and deceptions, and has brought that world to the Dalakis doorstep. As their unquenchable passion spirals to incredible sensual heights, Chase and Katya will be forced to make a choice, one that could destroy the Dalakis clan for all time or unite the desperate young lovers for eternity . . .

This is a revised edition of a previous published book.

Endless Chase captures reader’s attention right from the start and refuses to let go. The wonderful characters are not only realistic but can be easily related to which draws readers into the story and makes it seem like they are part of all the suspense and romance.  Chase and Katya have super chemistry and readers can feel the sizzling heat of their volcanic attraction but their romance has quite a few stumbling blocks that hold them back from giving their hearts to each other which keeps the emotional turbulence from personal issues just as suspense building as the danger they face the enemy.

Thrills and suspense builds as the truth comes to light and enemies make their moves and as the danger increases, Chase and Katya face life altering decisions that make facing bad guys seem easy. The reader becomes so caught up in the story that they can’t stop turning the pages to see what happens next or at least I sure couldn’t because Chase and Katya’s story is one adrenaline pumping, heart stopping book that makes for a super finale to the Dalakis Passion series.

N.J. Walters brought another great story to life with well written words and fabulous characters. The Dalakis Passion series if a brilliant and vivid vampire world with a few unique twist that makes it a true delight to read and Endless Chase is an electrifying conclusion that took my breath away.

Endless Chase is the 5th & final book in the Dalakis Passion series!

Endless Chase is available in ebook at:

Amazon   GPlay   Kobo   B&N   Smashwords

N.J. Walters can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter   BookBub

review 2017-12-14 02:20
ARC Review: Hooch & Cake by Heidi Cullinan
Hooch and Cake (Special Delivery) - Heidi Cullinan

I read this once before, a long while back, shortly after I read Special Delivery and Double Blind, because Mitch & Sam finally get their wedding in this novella.

There's some angst, because at the time when this story takes place, Iowa had marriage equality but lots of people in Sam's home town are still not on board with two men getting married and Mitch's heart breaks when he sees Sam get less and less enthusiastic about their wedding, and there's a lot of really kinky sex, which is ever so deliciously filthy, because Mitch still likes to watch, and Sam still likes the shame of being so very slutty for Mitch.

And there's Randy, possibly the best friend anyone could ever have, because despite his smooth and snarky exterior, Randy has a heart of gold and would do anything for his friends, and he needs Mitch and Sam more than they could ever know.

Or do they?

I adored this. It's full of Heidi's special kind of magic, because no matter how kinky the fucking gets, it is always, ALWAYS clear that the emotions between these men are strong enough to withstand anything and everything.

** I received a free copy of this book for review as part of the re-release for an honest and unbiased review. **