With a tastefully selected carpet, you can drastically improve your home’s overall appearance. Carpets bring warmth to any room, but one of their greatest disadvantages is staining. While any type of flooring solution can get stained, carpets are the toughest to clean. To banish stains from the carpet, you should adopt stain removal hacks that are effective and easy to follow. Here are simple guidelines on how to rescue the carpet from nasty stains:
- Apply only water – before you go for a more complicated cleaning method, try to get rid of the carpet stain using only water. Believe it or not, clean water works on many carpet messes, especially those that are non-greasy. Just take a clean towel and soak it in water, then gently dab on the stain and let the carpet dry. Remember to never rub or scrub on the stain, to avoid spreading it on the carpet. Also, choose a white towel, otherwise, you risk colour transfer from the towel to the carpet. Do not over-wet the carpet to prevent mould or mildew from appearing.
- Apply white vinegar – as a powerful cleaning agent, white distilled vinegar works wonders when treating carpet stains. Get rid of pet accidents on the carpet by mixing a few teaspoons of white vinegar with two cups of water. Use a clean white towel soaked in the mixture and gently dab the affected area of the carpet. After that, rinse with water. This stain removal hack is not only effective against numerous types of carpet stains, but it is also eco-friendly and safe for your health.
- Apply liquid dish soap – another harmless trick to banish carpet stains is a mixture of a cup of water and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Just like you did before, grab a white towel and soak it in the cleaning solution, then dab on the stain. In case you are faced with a stubborn carpet stain, you can upgrade this mixture by adding a few tablespoons of white distilled vinegar. After that reapply the cleaning remedy, dab again and rinse with water to get rid of the mess.
- Apply baking soda – just like white vinegar, baking soda is an eco-friendly ingredient with lots of cleaning applications around the house, including carpet cleaning. Baking soda is the ultimate cleaning remedy when it comes to greasy stains on the carpet. It is also the smartest choice to neutralize nasty carpet odours without chemicals. Sprinkle some baking soda on the carpet stain and then spray the area with your vinegar and dish soap cleaning solution. The mixture should look like a paste as it has dried. Let the stained surface stay covered with the mixture for a while and after that vacuum cleaner to gather residue.
- Apply shaving cream – common dirt stains or oily messes can be successfully removed from the carpet with the help of shaving cream. Apply the product to the contaminated surface by rubbing it. Wait a few minutes for the cream to dry and wipe the residue with a wet towel. For particularly stubborn stains you might have to repeat the cleaning procedure several times to banish the stain completely.
- Hire a cleaning service – in some cases, carpet stains are so tough that DIY cleaning approaches might fail you. In those moments the best you can do to rescue the stained carpet is to have it cleaned by professionals. Carpet cleaning experts rely on the most efficient cleaning techniques to tackle any carpet stain, no matter how old or stubborn the mess is.
Stick to these carpet cleaning strategies to easily defeat any carpet stain and make the carpet look brand-new.