June's reading was all over the place - I read some great books, some average books, some awful books. But I didn't realize how many books I read until I finished this post. This doesn't count the 4 DNFs books or the 2 I didn't even get to 10% before giving up.
I can't believe the second half of 2017 starts tomorrow. Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans!
Currently reading Rock Courtship: A Rock Kiss novella by Nalini Singh for RB Bingo and COYER.
Pop Sugar: 1
Library Love: 3; 35/36 for the year
RB Bingo: 9/25
1. Diary of an Accidental Wallflower by Jennifer McQuiston (RB Bingo)- 2.5 stars
2. Not My Father's Son: A Memoir by Alan Cummings (Pop Sugar prompt - family member term in title) (Library Love) - 4.5 stars
3. Loose Lips (Dusty Deals #5) by Rae Davies (COYER) - 3.5 stars
4. Undercover in High Heels (High Heels #3) by Gemma Halliday - 3.5 stars
5. Christmas in High Heels (High Heels #3.5) by Gemma Halliday - 1 star
6. Alibi in High Heels (High Heels #4) by Gemma Halliday - 5 stars
7. A Charming Cure (Magical Cures #2) by Tonya Kappes - 2.5 stars
8. Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1) by Jack Mars - 2 stars
9. A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (Gentlemen of Scotland Yard novella) by Jillian Stone - 3 stars
10. An Encounter in Hyde Park (Anthology) by Various Authors (RB Bingo)- 2 stars
11. The Captain's Kidnapped Beauty by Mary Nichols (RB Bingo) (Library Love Challenge) - 1 star
12. Heat Wave (Nerds of Paradise #4/Magnolias and Moonshine) by Merry Farmer (RB Bingo) - 4 stars
13. Midnight Unbound (Midnight Breed #14.5) by Lara Adrian (COYER) - 1 star
14. Midnight in Legend, TN (The McClains of Legend, Tennessee #1) by Magdalena Scott (COYER) - 1 star
15. Double Trouble (PJ Sugar #2) by Susan May Warren (Library Love Challenge) - 4 stars
16. The Bull Rider's Homecoming (Blue Thorn Ranch #3) by Allie Pleiter (COYER) (RB Bingo) - 4 stars
17. A Lady for Lord Randall (Brides of Waterloo #1) by Sarah Mallory (COYER) (RB Bingo) - 4.5 stars
18. A Mistress for Major Bartlett (Brides of Waterloo #2) by Annie Burrows (COYER) (RB Bingo) - 4.5 stars
19. A Rose for Major Flint (Brides of Waterloo #3) by Louise Allen (COYER) (RB Bingo) - .5 star
21. Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter (COYER) (RB Bingo) - 5 stars
If more contemporary romances were written like this, with characters like Dennis and Angie, I would read a ton more contemporaries! Dennis returns to Atlanta to woo his childhood friend/object of his teenage crush, Angie, to work for his employer, Paradise Space Flight. Angie just graduated with her PhD and is being pursued by different employers, the main ones being Paradise and NASA. Angie hated the way she and Dennis parted and seeing him again both raises her love for him as well as the guilt in the way she handled their friendship. There is a side plotline in that Angie and Dennis' friend Latoya (who needs her own book damnit!) refurbing some of the homes of the senior citizens in their neighborhood to help keep up home property values, make the homes safer for the occupants, and give Latoya's company some PR.
The chemistry between Angie and Dennis is intense and the sexy times are pretty damn hot. I also really loved Angie and Latoya's friendship - Latoya doesn't tell Angie what Angie wants to hear, she tells her what she needs to hear but not in a mean way. Angie does so much to redeem herself in her eyes and that helps her let go of past hurts/insecurities and embrace her new job and relationship with Dennis. I enjoyed learning her reasons for choosing the employer she does. I loved the seniors and the neighborhood vibe of the story. I want to read the entire series!
Alternative cover model is closer to what Dennis looks like in the book:
Read for BL-opoly Free Friday
104 pages = $4.00
Free Friday BL-opoly Read: Heat Wave by Merry Farmer, in honor of the heat wave the UK is facing this weekend and into next week. This is one of 30 novellas that RT convention 2017 commissioned for its Magnolias and Moonshine campaign for Atlanta; it is also part of her Nerds of Paradise series. It is a contemporary romance with interracial couple. 104 pages = $2.00.
BL-opoly Read (pre-shake up): Trying to get through His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty. It's boring me at the 20% mark, so if it doesn't improve by the 50%, I am going to DNF. I can't wait for D-Day so at least something happens.
Pop Sugar Read: The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen. This is so boring and a bit unrealistic. Christian romance set in rural Regency England. I'm giving it until 50% to get better before I pull the DNF card.
COYER Summer Vacation Reads: Midnight Unbound (Midnight Breeds #14.5) by Lara Adrian, because I wanted something different than historical romance. Since it is a short book, I am also going to try and knock out Midnight in Legend, TN by Magdalena Scott as well.
Ripped Bodice Bingo Read: The Captain's Kidnapped Beauty by Mary Nichols. I just finished this one for the "person in uniform on the cover" square. A Georgian-era romance that takes place in Lisbon and London. I borrowed from the library, so a Library Love Challenge book to boot.
So my son's last day of Kindergarten was yesterday. I can't believe my little boy is going to be a 1st grader already. I forgot how much energy little boys can have, lol.
Click Clack Moo: Cow's That Type by Doreen Cronin is a book about cows that get a hold of an old type writer and decide to go on strike against Farmer Brown. They make continuous requests/demands (for example electric blankets) in order to give Farmer Brown their milk. I would rate this book a four out of five stars and It is listed as an AD160L on the Lexile scale. I would have my students write letter to the Farmer Brown making a request from a different animal. I would make it clear that the students could choose any other animal they would see at a farm except a cow. This is a super cute book that i will have on my bookshelf for sure.