logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: first-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-19 19:16
Juana was the star
Flesh and the Devil (Troubadour Books) - Teresa Denys

For my comments and quotes while I read, a way more in depth look at my thoughts, Buddy Read The Flesh and the Devil

The beginning of this was really enjoyable, there was a great eerie Gothic tone that had mysteries and villains seemingly in the shadows everywhere with our young, extremely sheltered heroine Juana betrothed to a lunatic. Unfortunately, the mysteries and villains get wrapped up perfectly quickly and a lot of things happen disappointingly off-screen.

The middle introduces new villains but again, dealt with pretty quickly and from there things kind of meander into an unceremoniously mellow with added too perfect bow moment ending. The romantic relationship between the leads started off with some heat, spark, and burn as they clashed but then in Bodice Ripper fashion the hero rapes the heroine (the author clearly writes this as rape with minimal Juana foggily in her mind thinking her body could be responding) and with not a lot of emotional growth/connection featuring later in the story between the two, I lost their beginning chemistry.

The author did a fantastic job of setting the place and time, there was some inserted political talk, but my favorite was Juana's personal growth. Juana goes from being a, purposefully, sheltered naive girl to a solid capable woman and the author did a wonderful job showcasing all the bumps in the road it took her to get there.

review 2018-07-19 13:55
#40 - Evergreen by Brenda Pandos
Evergreen (Mer Tales, Book 2) - Brenda Pandos

I've read Everblue, the first book in the series quite a long time ago and remembered really enjoying it. I finally decided to buy Evergreen for my Kindle and I picked it up last month because I was on holiday and I only had one physical book with me that I finished in the train before arriving (yay me! I thought I would buy books there but had no time to do shopping)

In the end, I was quite disappointed by this book. I think the thing I really liked about Everblue was Natatoria, the mermaid's world, but most of this book takes place on earth and not in the ocean so it was a disappointment for me. I also really did no like Ash, I've just re-read my review of the first book where I said I liked her... (but it was in 2015 so I've changed a lot since then).

Anyway, it was not bad but I could not stay focused and was easily distracted. The characters were a bit annoying and I was not a huge fan of the Manichaeism, it was way too pronounced in my opinion.

I still recommend this book to younger reader because I think it could work better for them!

review 2018-07-19 10:00
Release Day Review! Enticed & Seduced (House of Cat #7) Shelley Munro!
Enticed & Seduced - Shelley Munro

Some days, getting out of bed is a mistake…

Kaya Ignatius loves her job, working as part of the Indefatigable crew. But this isn’t a normal morning. Gryffnn Drake, a hunky dragon shifter, has a problem with another clan and wants her to act as his betrothed. It’s a chance to smash a dry spell and help the man who has become a good friend. After all, what’s not to like about steamy sexual encounters?

But everything after that is downhill.

She’s slimed by a stinky plant, her brother arrives with bad news and dumps a huge, scary responsibility in her lap. Suddenly, her life is full of drama and nasty surprises.

Gryffnn has always lusted after Kaya, but she only saw his older brother. Now things have changed, and he has a plan to capture the sassy Kaya and woo her to his way of thinking. A move by an opposition clan forces him to escalate his romantic plan. Things proceed well until the past struts in to say hello and creates havoc with his love life and his dragon clan.

Never mind bed, Gryffnn and Kaya are too busy putting out dangerous fires and trying to stay alive to worry about the future…

Note: although Enticed & Seduced is part of a series, it can be read as a stand alone.

Alrighty, then! Kaya Ignatius, a member of the Idefatigable crew has a chance to smash her dry spell when Gryffnn Drake, the hunky dragon shifter wants her help with a problem in the sensational House of the Cat story – Enticed & Seduced.

Kaya and Gryffnn are two strong, enthralling characters with lots of explosive chemistry that singes readers in this delightfully feisty romance that has sparks flying in every direction. The relationship is in question throughout the entire story because while Gryffnn is determined to make Kaya his, Kaya is unaware of this but she steps right up in his time of need and ends up for him and his kingdom with a spirited and kick butt attitude that blows the characters as well as readers away. The story also has quite a bit of emotional upheaval as well, due to both Kaya and Gryffnn’s family issues that have come to bite them in their a**es.

This fast paced and really energetic plot keeps readers glued to the pages with non-stop intrigue, lots of attitude, action and surprising twists. With Shelley Munro’s well developed world, wonderfully charming characters and the impressive but realistic fight scenes, there is no way for a reader to become bored as they are easily drawn into the story by the strength of the connection that is effortlessly formed with the characters.

First of all, you can read Gryffnn and Kaya’s story without having read the previous books in the series, but really why would you want to do that? All the characters of the House of the Cat series are charming and love to wow readers with their daring stories and personally, I can’t get enough of this series. I have been waiting for the dragons to get their own stories and Enticed & Seduced went above and beyond my imagination. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series which features the hunky Ransom!

Enticed & Seduced

Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40693679-enticed-seduced

Author – https://shelleymunro.com/books/enticed-seduced/

BookBub – https://www.bookbub.com/books/enticed-seduced-house-of-the-cat-book-7-by-shelley-munro

is the 7th book in the House of Cat series

6 Betrayed & Seduced
7 Enticed & Seduced

Enticed & Seduced is available in ebook at:

Amazon – http://smarturl.it/EnticedSeducedAmzn

USA Today bestselling author Shelley Munro lives in Auckland, the City of Sails, with her husband and a cheeky Jack Russell/mystery breed puppy.

Typical New Zealanders, Shelley and her husband left home for their big OE soon after they married (translation of New Zealand speak – big overseas experience). A twelve month long adventure lengthened to six years of roaming the world.

Enduring memories include being almost sat on by a mountain gorilla in Rwanda, lazing on white sandy beaches in India, whale watching in Alaska, searching for leprechauns in Ireland, and dealing with ghosts in an English pub.

While travel is still a big attraction, these days Shelley is most likely found in front of her computer following another love – that of writing stories of romance and adventure. Other interests include watching rugby and rugby league (strictly for research purposes), and curling up with a good book.

Website - http://www.shelleymunro.com/

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8603.Shelley_Munro

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ShelleyMunroAuthor

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/ShelleyMunro

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/shelley-munro

Pintrest - http://www.pinterest.com/ShelleyMunro

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Shelley-Munro/e/B001JOWGNK

review 2018-07-19 01:18
Maybe not so much with the candy canes and pine cones this time but...
Ravensong - T.J. Klune

THERE IS SO MUCH EPIC AND AWESOME...SO FREAKIN' MUCH!!!

If you asked me which book I liked more 'Wolfsong' or 'Ravensong' my very honest answer would be neither...I was equally blown away by them. I pondered this question long and hard and at the end of it all I knew beyond a certainty that sometimes there can be more than one.

'Ravensong' is Gordo's story and by proxy it's also Marks story because their lives are to entangled to ever separate. But whether you think of it as Gordo's story or Mark's or Gordo and Mark's which truly in many ways it's all 3 of these. What it isn't is a light fluffy romance. It's dark and gritty, it's about broken trust and betrayal, it's about rebuilding things that have shattered into a million pieces.

We met both Mark and Gordo in 'Wolfsong' and while I liked Gordo I couldn't help but also think that he was a bit of a dick at times and you know what, he was but the difference is I now know why and I honestly can't blame him for how he's behaved...he's got his reasons trust me, he's got plenty of reasons.

The other thing that I learned from this book is that the Bennett pack is unlike any pack that's ever been and their spirit is indomitable. Wolves or humans they are all a force to be reckoned with.

I really, really wanted to make this one last as much as I wanted to devour it...so I decided I was only going to read it for an hour at night when I went to bed...yep, that's right just one hour...and just one more hour...and just...you see where things went here right?

While Gordo and Mark were the major focus for this story, make no mistake there is more so much more happening...there's a war coming one that started brewing in 'Wolfsong' forces are aligning, sides are being chosen, events are transpiring some we may see coming but others I have no doubt that will blindside us all.

As many of TJ Klune's books as I've read and there have been a few...I've read all of Bear, Otter and the Kid, How To Be A Normal Person, Immemorial Years, Into This River I Drown, etc. etc. ok, I've pretty much read them all or listened to the audio or done both and I've loved every word of every story but this series is the only one that takes me out of myself, with both of these stories as soon as I tune into the story I tune out of everything that's around me and while I can't say this has never happened for me with a story those times are far and few between that an author writes a story that has captivated me so strongly.

I can honestly say I've only got one...well actually 2 issues here...the first one being...where's the audio book? I need this like water and of course even more important and I'm sure there are those who agree with me...where the hell is the next book? Shouldn't we have had that one last week? Seriously TJ...why you be torturing us like this?

Ok, seriously this book this series it's AMAZING!!! And you all need to read it if you haven't already...I'm not a big fan of shifter books but I am such an over the moon fan of 'Green Creek' and yes, I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this book and how much I'm looking forward to whatever comes next...but honestly I think you've figured that out by now...EPIC AND AWESOME!!! It's all here.

*************************

An ARC of 'Ravensong' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-07-19 00:07
God and Blowjobs
Chaste - Lydia Michaels
Recommended by J.D. Thank you!

Perhaps they’d always been aware of each other, but were both smart enough to know they made no sense as anything more than acquaintances in a small town.

A small town, a girl who's mother dies early in her life leaving only a masculine presence which combined with her deeply held faith has her being a 24yr old virgin, a boy who attracts women early gaining a reputation that has him being the go to for a good night, and an attraction that doesn't seem to make sense.
The whole trope of heroine being the shy girl who loves the hero from afar and the bad boy with hidden depth who never thought he was good enough for heroine, is one I can't help but enjoy and I greatly did for the first 20%.

After years of watching him, she’d seen hidden moments where his focus drifted and his smile faltered as if he was exhausted with putting on the charm. There was no denying Kelly was a funny and entertaining person to be around, but…so much of it was a performance.

The author did a great job of giving these two trope heavy characters and giving them depth. The heroine was considered a wallflower by everyone and socially acted like that but with the hero she showed her backbone and tilted his world on edge. The hero loved women and they loved him but he kind of always wondered about the heroine (we get a few flashbacks of him talking with her highschool), wanted something deeper, but never thought he was worth more because of his early formative years of having girls only want one thing from him.
These two were so adorable in the beginning and gave me all the ooey gooey feelings.

“Would you date a virgin?”
His lips buttoned up and he looked away. “Uh, I’m a little too…I got a sweet tooth.”
She frowned. “What?”
He blew out a breath. “I like sex, love. Lots of sex. Crazy, swinging from the chandeliers, make you scream, feel it days later sex.” He scratched his head and grimaced. “I’m really not that complicated. I basically only come with two settings, hungry and horny.” He laughed and gazed away, mumbling, “If you don’t see me with a hard on, make me food. Ah, but then I start thinking about cobbler and soft peaches and…” He cleared his throat and shifted.
She didn’t know where to look, but she couldn’t look at him. Her head turned with jagged increments as she focused her stare anywhere but at him.
He chuckled. “Sorry. Maybe that was a bit too graphic on my part.”
“Sometimes waiting means more than the act,”she offered lamely. Her decision really couldn’t compete with chandelier monkey screaming antics—not with Kelly. That was for sure. And was he actually talking about cobbler or was it a metaphor? Did he do stuff with food? Jeeze, she was ignorant, but now she was really curious.

Our wallflower didn't back down around him and I enjoyed her backbone and I felt for how the hero was so vulnerable. After the beginning first half though, the heroine's virginity started to become a huge focus, religious talk featured heavily, and there was the icky "not like those other slutty desperate girls" from the hero.

“Because I’m not like other girls,” she said frowning at her lap.
“Yeah, but not for the negative reasons you’re probably thinking. I know a lot of women. You’re different, interesting. You don’t cover yourself with fancy crap and pretend to be someone you’re not. You’re honest and unguarded.”
She snorted. “We’re all guarded.”

The hero was ugh with this thinking but delightfully, the heroine would come to the defense of the women, but I got tired of the "other women are so desperate when they only want sex from me". Now, I'm not religious so I have contradictory views with Christianity, so my personal enjoyment will vary if you're of a different school of thought. The heroine is a virgin because of her faith and how she's suppose to save her "innocence" for her husband. When she is trying to date, she ends up finding out that one of her dates is a virgin, also because of his faith. What does she think? She doesn't like it, she thinks about how the hero is better because of his experience. I'm all for personal decisions but this thinking of women must remain innocent because of God but men can sleep with anything is so barfy to me, I'm just not going to enjoy a story where the whole middle talks about this.

The second half I lost the beginning spark and building connection between the two because sex became the focus. I'm not lying when I say this book is largely about God and blowjobs. I don't know if there is a category or sub-genre labeled Christian erotica but this would fit squarely there. I honestly felt like their rushed marriage was so they could have sex, their emotional connection stops being built and felt after they are married. The ending was rushed with a bunch of little added dramas and angst.

The first 20% was very close to building up to a 5 stars but I'm not a Christian and their emotional building and bonding was replaced with endless faith talk and sexy times, making me not the target audience and not feeling their heat in the bedroom.