logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: for-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-21 18:56
Wrath of the Ancients - Catherine Cavendish
Wrath of the Ancients - Catherine Cavendish

Adeline Ogilvy, a young widow from Wimbledon, has accepted a job in Vienna. Her assignment is to employ her skills as a typist and transcribe the memoirs of the late Dr. Emeryk Quintillus, an archeologist with a most peculiar hidden history. When she begins her recording the doctor's notes, she learns that, five years earlier, he claims to discover the tomb of Cleopatra. Even more astonishing, it seems that he has brought more than secrets back from Egypt. Strange occurrences begin to happen at the mansion. Is what Adeline seeing before her eyes real or a hallucination?

This is my first read of Cavendish and I love the slow burn in this Gothic chiller. I also like how blends an archelogical curiosity and characters with her own original take on what happened all those thousands of years ago. As the story unfurls, I can't help be reminded of the quiet horror writing style of Charles L. Grant. The characters are interesting and I'm drawn to keep turning the pages to see where they go in the story. If I have any criticism it's that there are parts where the pacing seems off. In one instance, things are doing a nice slow burn and then it closes in way too much of a flurry. But, it's a small blemish in an overall fun story. If you haven't had the pleasure to stumble upon Cavendish, Wrath of the Ancients is a great one to introduce yourself.

4 1/2 Green Glowing Apparations out of 5

You can also follow my reviews at the following links:

review 2017-06-18 21:01
The Paris Spy
The Paris Spy - Susan Elia MacNeal

I cannot get enough of this series so when I saw this latest installment on Netgalley I just had to request it. No matter what is happening in my life I am always up for reading about Maggie Hope. This time Maggie is in Paris trying to find a spy that she believes might have been compromised and also trying to find her half-sister Elise.

While this was was not as dark as some previous books in the series this is still pretty dark and filled with heartbreak for Maggie and readers. As with the other books in the series this follows not only Maggie but other characters. You really grow close to the agents in Paris the more that you read and can't help but feel despair at what happens to certain characters.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the growing relationship between Maggie and her sister. They were able to really bond in this book and I hope their relationship gets a chance to grow even further in the future.

I was not expecting the ending and it has left me dying to know what happens next.

review 2017-06-13 01:03
Room for Doubt
Room For Doubt (A Carol Childs Mystery) ... Room For Doubt (A Carol Childs Mystery) (Volume 4) - Nancy Cole Silverman

After the last book in this series I wasn't sure if I was going to continue reading this series. I ultimately decided to give this book a try and I am glad that I did. Carol is back with a really interesting mystery surrounding a death that police have ruled a suicide. Carol's investigation with the help of pesky but hunky PI Chase will lead her to discover covered up murders that just might lead her to a group of women determined to get justice.

I was glad that Carol didn't seem too over her head in the investigation in this book. Her decisions and behavior (especially towards the end) really surprised me. I have to admit that I didn't like the relationship between her and Chase or at least what it became. I liked it better when she was annoyed with him.

While the plot at times seemed a bit far-fetched I still really enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading more from this series.

text 2017-05-24 22:56
180/344 pages read of You Will Grow into Them Malcolm Devlin
You Will Grow into Them - Malcolm Devlin

The world is a far stranger place than we give it credit for. There, in the things we think familiar, safe, are certain aspects. Our fears and desires given form. Moments that defy explanation. Shadows in our home.

In Malcolm Devlin’s debut collection, change is the only constant. Across ten stories he tackles the unease of transformation, growth and change in a world where horror seeps from the everyday. Childhood anxieties manifest as debased and degraded doppelgängers, fungal blooms are harvested from the backs of dancers and London lycanthropes become the new social pariahs. The demons we carry inside us are very real indeed, but You Will Grow Into Them.

Taking weird fiction and horror and bending them into strange and wondrous new shapes, You Will Grow Into Them follows, in the grand tradition of Aickman, Ligotti and Vandermeer, reminding us that the ordinary world is a much stranger place than it seems.

As is usual with short story collections I will post an update periodically with my thoughts and ratings as I am reading and then review the book in its entirety when I am finished.

1 - Passion Play - 3 stars.

This was an Ok story. Not exactly sure what happened to Cathy, not sure if I'm supposed to. I loved the idea behind the story though. Creepy concept.

2 - Two Brothers - 3 stars.

Well written stories so far. They give just enough to unsettle you while allowing your imagination to fill in the gaps.

3 - Breadcrumbs - 4 stars.

Some weird mix between Rapunzel, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. Feels very fairytalesque and very imaginative. Has she grown up, shed her childhood and become a woman? or, is she just dreaming? Think I may read this one again.

4 - Her First Harvest - 4 stars.

Kinda gone off mushrooms now. Interesting but strange concept and visually enchanting.

5 - We All Need Somewhere to Hide - 5 stars.

Beauty is only skin deep, a person's character is where true beauty lies, but how deep does our love for someone truly go... This is my favourite so far.

6 - Dogsbody - 3 stars.

Not sure what to think about this one. I would have liked to know the why behind what had occurred. I enjoyed it though. You shouldn't always assume prejudice is at play, you're not always the victim you perceive yourself to be.

7 - 10 Still to come

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | LibraryThing

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

review 2017-05-07 02:56
Watching the Detectives
Watching the Detectives - Julie Mulhern

I'm starting to think that this series could never disappoint me. I cannot tell you what you I felt when I saw that there was a new book in this series. Needless to say I enjoyed this one as much as I have the others in the series.

Ellison is such a great character to follow. I love her sense of humor and how strong a woman she has become. She also can't help but find dead bodies which provides endless annoyance for her mother and ends up putting Ellison in danger.

I figured out what the first deceased character had been doing that caused her to be killed a little before it was revealed but I was still wrong about who killed her. Ellison and I were both surprised in the end.

The end with Ellison and Anarchy left me with hope for a future romance between them. But then again I've been hoping for a couple of books now.