logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: for-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-20 03:54
What The Valley Knows - Heather Christie

I received this book for free from BookLikes’ Giveaways.

This book started off really good. It reminded me a little bit of Riverdale with the whole new girl moves to a small town premise. Genre-wise, it was an interesting blend of YA and women’s fiction. There was a lot of intrigue in the beginning over what was to come.

The book was going good until the “terrible thing” happened. I really was not a fan of what it was. Then the accident happened and the book stalled after that. It never reached its full potential. All the intrigue that the first half had was missing.

Then the book kind of ended too conveniently. Everything was wrapped up super quickly and there was a lack of suspense. Basically Molly would just have flashbacks after seeing things. Not that exciting. This book could have been a great romantic suspense novel if it was fleshed out more towards the end. I think that was the main issue. It wasn’t clearly any genre so it tried to be too many. It would have been more successful if it went strictly the romantic suspense route.

Additionally, I felt like there wasn’t enough closure for the other supporting characters. In particular, I was hoping for more of a wrap up on Missi and Legs.

Another thing I did not like were the stereotypes that plagued the book. You had the unpopular band geeks, mean cheerleaders, and brainless jocks. It made the whole book feel old and outdated. It felt like a cliched 80’s movie.

Overall, the book was well written, but fell short of my expectations.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-02-20 00:34
The Magic Cottage by James Herbert (2017 Review)
The Magic Cottage - James Herbert

The Magic Cottage by James Herbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Top Read 2017 * * * * *

Tired of the hustle and bustle of the city of London, young couple Mike and Midge are determined to find a home that offers them a brighter - and quieter - future. Much to their delight, that perfect home comes in the form of Gramarye; a breathtaking, isolated cottage that appears too good to be true. Eager to move right in and settle down, they soon experience the enchanting wonders Gramarye has to offer, along with the sinister ugliness that lurks just beneath its surface.

(WARNING: this review contains spoilers.)

I genuinely didn't expect to discover such a hidden gem when I selected a book at random from my shelf. Having never picked up a Herbert novel before, I was soon stunned by the sheer beauty of the story, which included the subtle, yet increasingly unnerving horror element that primarily lingered in the background. I could be considered a nick-picky reader, or downright pessimistic; someone who doesn't dish out top ratings all too often because even the tiniest things can impact my enjoyment, so it's a surprise and a special occasion when I find something that ticks all the right boxes. And tick all the boxes it did, and then some. This one will stay with me for several reasons, the foremost being quite personal. I know very well the longing for the perfect home - somewhere that brings happiness and contentment. Gramarye in itself sounded like my dream cottage; it simply fascinated me with its extraordinarily close ties to nature, and the magic that enveloped its walls.

I quickly became attached to Mike and Midge, and rooted for their relationship throughout the entirety of the book. Both had their flaws; Mike could be selfish, whilst Midge infuriatingly stubborn, but I found them to be more relatable due to these faults. When they were on the verge of separation, I actually felt something; a sort of dread that perhaps a happy ending wasn't in store. That's the thing about this genre; happily-ever-afters aren't a certainty, there's just so much potential, and I couldn't stop my mind from racing. Of course, there were the side characters, and each and every one had their part to play. Val, in particular stood out, especially when she displayed such bravery and loyalty to her friends in the end.

The plot itself wasn't non-stop scares or gore, but rather a slow progression of laying down the foundations, and setting the tone, before the explosive finale. I can't say this way of storytelling works for everyone, but I found myself completely immersed, and never did I believe it to be stale. Herbert truly struck me as a writer that favoured the development of his characters, and of making the reader truly care for what's happening. I daresay it's so much better than cheap thrills that ultimately mean very little.

I really do need to mention the descriptive writing, and how it truly conveyed what Herbert wanted it to. There's a particular scene that takes place in the loft of Gramarye, involving Mike and a large number of bats. Don't get me wrong, I adore bats and have no fear of them, but I don't think I've ever been as disturbed when reading before - it almost made me feel a bit sick. Such in-depth detail that worked together extremely well, resulting in the magical moments positively feeling magical, and the eerie moments giving a clear sense of unease. This is what writing's really about.

Lastly, I should probably include that I actually cried at a certain point in this book. I'm usually not such an emotional reader, where I shed tears often, but I really loved that squirrel.

I'll never forget Rumbo.

Notable Scene:

The pink, hunched thing grew in size, frail shape glistening in the light of the torch. The tiny body oozed out, smoothly and wetly, taking form - an unsightly form - discharged from the womb like an oval blob of pink topping squeezed from an icing bag, to plop onto the mother bat's stomach, caught there and suspended by its life-chord. The mother immediately wrapped wings and pouched tail around the newborn, its head striving upwards and tongue flickering out to cleanse the sticky flesh body.

© Red Lace 2017

Wordpress ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter

Source: redlace.reviews/2018/02/20/the-magic-cottage-by-james-herbert-2017-review
review 2018-02-20 00:02
Eek
My Man, Michael - Lori Foster

A MMA fighter gets into a car accident, a woman from the future asks him to help teach her people how to fight in exchange for fixing his leg. They lust after each other, the hero(?) made me want to strangle him with his sexist comments, heroine who was supposed to be strong just disappears, heroine's mother and father storyline is simplistic, can be seen from a mile away, and there is next to no world building.
Simplistic, sexist, and not good in my opinion.

For more comments and thoughts - My Man, Michael Buddy Read

review 2018-02-19 07:10
Blog Tour w/Review - Dropping In

Today, we have the blog tour for Carrie Quest’s DROPPING IN! Check it—and the free prequel—out today and grab your copy!

Title: Dropping In

Series: A Snow-Crossed Lovers Novel

Release Date: February 8th

About Dropping In:

Natalie Berensen has one short summer to ace her writing class and convince her parents she’s not a hopeless screw-up. No more changing her major once a month, taking time off to travel, or random friends-with-benefits. She doesn’t have time for distractions or hook-ups, not even if her longtime crush is in town for the summer and living in her basement. Who cares if he’s a snowboarding god with six pack abs and a hashtag devoted to his apparently magical penis? She’s not interested.

Until she is.

Ben Easton’s focus and self-discipline is legendary. He’s built a career as a professional snowboarder by training harder than anyone else on the mountain and steering clear of anything that doesn’t take him one step closer to his goal: Olympic gold. Then his best friend crashes in the half-pipe and Ben drops everything to take care of him. No more training. No more competitions. No more snowboarding. It’s over.

He’s back in Boulder to help with Adam’s rehab, not fool around with his little sister’s best friend, no matter how much he loves her laugh or the way her ass looks when she walks up the stairs. There’s no way in hell he’s going anywhere near Natalie.

Until he does.

Contains: a grumpy guard cat with a taste for blood, discussions of Ents as phallic symbols, and plenty of sexy times.

Dropping In (Snow-Crossed Lovers #1)Dropping In by Carrie Quest
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Natalie never seems to settle. Her parents want her to be their choice for her future. She wants to choose on her own. Whether it be who she settles with, or her career, she wants control of that decision.

Ben comes after a self imposed sabbatical. He is helping a friend heal. He is also trying to come to terms about what he will choose for his own future. Right now it is uncertain.

These characters seem to have a lot in common. The sparks fly off them right from the start. While the pace moves along rather quick, the romance snuck right in with some heat that punched. I was very pleased with the banter, and it was an easy yet comfortable read. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series. I give this one a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

Out Now:

Title: Bailing Out

Series: A Snow-Crossed Lovers Novella

About Bailing Out:

Gabriel Power came to Sochi with two goals: win a medal and track down his ex-girlfriend so he can finally explain the truth about the scandal that came between them. Once that’s done, he’s going to disappear. Snowboarding’s bad boy is tired of the phony photo ops set up by his media mogul father. Getting hounded by reporters and pretending to date supermodels while running errands for Power News cost him the only girl he’s ever loved, and now it’s time to walk away.

Quitting his father will be easy. Bailing on snowboarding will be slightly harder. Getting Belle to forgive him may be impossible, but he has to try.

Isabelle Garland’s Olympic dream died the night a drunk driver plowed into her car and crushed her leg. Sochi was supposed to be her moment of glory, but instead she’s limping around the Village trying to dodge the snowboarder who broke her heart and avoid the interviews her pushy sister-slash-manager insists are vital for building her brand. Belle doesn’t want a brand, she wants a life. Preferably one far away from the rude reporters who keep trying to get America’s Skating Sweetheart to cry on camera by asking how it feels when your entire life is snatched away in an instant.

(Spoiler: it feels like s***. Also, she’s more snark than sweet these days.)

When she runs into Gabe in the basement of her hotel, Belle’s first instinct is to flee. Too bad they’re trapped in a freezing storage room together with no way out and only their chemistry to keep them warm…

Bailing Out (Snow-Crossed Lovers)Bailing Out by Carrie Quest
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Gabriel and Isabelle have a hot and tainted history. There were too may factors that interfered where they did not belong. Now, trapped together in Russia, they get another chance to clear the air.

Isabelle AKA "Belle" has had too many hard knocks in recent years to believe that Gabe would want to get back together. Then the chance arises to find out just what really broke them up last time. After finding out the truth, can they both learn to forgive?

This was such a fast paced, but really hot story. I loved the characters right from the start. They seem like they are better together than apart. This was a great intro to the Snow-Crossed Lovers series. I am very excited now for the next installment!

***This copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

Coming Soon:

Title: Wiping Out

Series: A Snow-Crossed Lovers Novel

Release Date: March 8th

About Wiping Out:

Piper Easton is a fixer. As a teenager she took over running the house when her mom got sick, and when her snowboarder brother was injured, she found the top knee guru in town and finagled a same-day appointment. She’s got an exclusive internship lined up in Europe and she’ll be leaving as soon as she watches her brother Ben win a gold medal. She just has to clean up one last mess: the way her stupid heart jumps whenever her ex-boyfriend appears. She and Adam are friends now, that’s it. That’s all they can ever be.

But maybe a few benefits aren’t out of the question. Just until their trip to the Olympics finishes and they both go their separate ways. Surely the problem will be fixed by then.

Adam Westlake had two true loves: snowboarding and Piper Easton. He lost them both and now he’s broken. The scars from where they cut his skull open are no longer visible, but the traumatic brain injury means it isn’t safe for him to ride again and he hasn’t spoken to Piper in eighteen months. Not since he got out of the hospital and fled Colorado, terrified he wouldn’t be able to resist strapping on his board when the snow started falling. He’s been chasing summer around the world ever since, until a lucrative offer to report on the Olympics brings him home to face all the temptations he left behind.

He might be able to summon the willpower to stay off the mountain, but Piper? She’s irresistible.

Contains: sex as an Olympic sport, dirty dancing while wearing eye goggles, ninety-nine penis balloons, and a blowjob rudely interrupted by a devil in feline form.

About the Author:

Carrie grew up in Vermont, spent her college years in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, and now lives in New Zealand with her husband, two smallish children, and a gaggle of very badly behaved animals. She writes love stories that will make you laugh and reads enough romance to swoon on the regular.

Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook

Enter Carrie’s Giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

review 2018-02-18 15:04
Classic Tiffany Snow
Turn the Tables - Tiffany Snow Turn the Tables - Tiffany Snow

***Attention fans of Tiffany Snow***

It's here at last! This is the prequel all fans of The Kathleen Turner Series have been waiting for... The long-awaited brotherly bonding trip to Las Vegas, where Blane and Kade somehow manage to get themselves a lifetime ban from the MGM Grand hotel.

I love both the previous companion novels; Blane's Turn and Kade's Turn because we get to learn and understand the dynamics between Blane and Kade in the early stages of their relationship. I've always enjoyed their interactions and Turn the Tables gives us a glimpse of how they relate to each other as adults...before their lives became even more entwined and complicated.

The trust, respect and admiration for each other is ever present between Blane and Kade as we see them in a more relaxed setting...almost! Nothing is ever as it's intended to be and their break in sin city is a shining example of always expect the unexpected!

This novella is highly entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny. The plot is without a doubt completely over the top, but at the same time so very fitting considering it's set in Las Vegas. The timeline is short and the pace is lightning fast but not overwhelmingly so. Ms Snow crams a lot into the pages of this novella, but everything melds together perfectly.

Their escapade is supported by a colourful supporting cast of characters, complimented by the usual quick-witted banter we associate with the protagonists. There are a few surprises along the way but I'm not to give anything away with regards to the plot. All I will say is that anyone who loves Blane and Kade will want to read this light-hearted and fun caper.

Source: www.goodreads.com/review/show/2251190307