logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: for-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-20 21:38
There was sweet and there was feelz...so many feelz, but...
Awakenings & French Songs - Nell Iris

I really wanted more. This is only my second read by this author and while I only gave this one 3 stars if I was giving stars for potential there would have been at least 4 stars on this one.  I loved the story and was over the moon about the potential it held. I just needed more actual story to get me there.

When we first meet Iggy, he's at a crossroads in his life. There's a lot about his life that he likes but as he gets closer to his birthday he also begins to reflect on what it is that he has and what it is that he wants.  He's a party boy...Iggy never says no or so the story goes until...Iggy says no because he's starting to realize that the life he has, isn't the life he wants. It's during a late night visit with his neighbour...Ronan, his very hot, off limits, single father neighbor that Iggy begins to question his life, where it's at vs where he wants to be and comes to the realization that it's time for a change.

My biggest problem with this story was that I really and truly wanted more...more Iggy and Ronan. Ronan's not off limits because he's straight...nope, for Iggy he's off limits because Ronan's straight or because he's not looking for a quicky or even a friends with benefits relationship.  Ronan wants the full package. He's looking for someone who wants someone who's in it for the long haul...someone who's going to love his kid as much as him because they're a package deal.

I was ok with the fact that the story picks up part way through their friendship but once they agreed to see if there was more...well, i really liked these two men and I wanted to be there for more of the more as well. I'm not just talking about the sexy times here given the brevity of this story quite honestly the amount of sex that was here actually seemed appropriate but I wanted more of the dating/getting to know each other moments.There's a time jump between the end of the story and the epilogue of a year and I admit it I'm greedy and I wanted at least some of that year because Ronan and Iggy going from friends to lovers from what I read left me wanting the whole story.

So this isn't a case of 3 stars because I didn't like what I read it's a case of 3 stars because it was so good that I really, really wanted more.

************************

An ARC of 'Awakenings & French Songs' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2019-01-20 09:43
Mr. In-Between
Mr In Between - Neil Cross

I first got interested in Mr. In-Between when I learned Neil Cross is behind the series Luther and used to work on Spooks. While I was expecting it to be a raw story, I'm not sure anything could have prepared me for the thoroughly depressing world of Jon.

As an assassin to The Tattooed Man he kills and maims on order, without ever feeling anything about it. It is not just his job, but everything that seems to have this dark, gruesome and hopeless atmosphere. Even when he meets some people from 'before'  and he is said to re-enter the normal world, a feeling left me wondering whether he was being pulled there, or was he not pulling them with him into the darkness.

Nice is not a term to describe a novel like this. I can't even say I enjoyed reading it. But somehow it did have something interesting. However, I bore quickly from lengthy descriptions of torture and I'm not sure I would read more books by Mr. Cross.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2019-01-20 02:17
Book-lovers will delight in and relish this little book about their reading obsession; the perfect bookworm gift
I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life - Anne Bogel

This little book is a love letter to the joys of reading, and EVERY bookworm should have this one on their shelves.

I picked this book to fulfill my ‘reminds you of your happy place’ book choice for my #LitsyBooked2019 Challenge, and I absolutely couldn’t come up with a more apt choice for something that conjures up ‘happy place’ right now than books.

If you’re an avid reader and you are aghast at the idea of whittling down your collection of books to 30 books, or as Anne Bogel puts it, have spent time as a kid under the covers reading a book with a flashlight when you should’ve been asleep, then this is the book for you.

The book is short and sweet but packs in a lot, and you will see yourself in these pages even if you don’t know all the book titles she mentions. You will find yourself nodding and laughing and agreeing about all the things that only ‘book people’ will understand and recognize in their reading lives:

How 'normal' it is to have 1,593 books in your Goodreads Want-to-Read list, but will read a book by your favorite author as soon as it comes out. How normal it is that you've read every single book by Sarah J. Maas and have every edition of all her books, even the foreign read all the Outlander Series but have never read Jane Eyre.

How you've been that reader of all The Babysitter's Club Books when you were a tween, then you went through a phase of nothing but vampire books, then you struggled to find yourself with self-help books in your twenties, and now you read nothing but the latest bestsellers from a celebrity bookclub; you've just changed as a reader as you've got older.

Bogel mentions all these 'delights and dilemmas of the reading life' in her book and it felt like I'd found a new bookish friend, and I suspect that just about everyone picking this book up and seeing themselves in it, will feel like their circle of bookish friends just grew infinitely bigger.

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/38502471-i-d-rather-be-reading

Length: 1h 32min
Rating: PG

Favourite character: Amanda Kirby

Crush: Billy Brennan
Least favourite character: Don’t really have one
Favourite line: Don’t really have one.

Mini-Review: Despite the lack of Ian Malcolm, I like this movie due to it’s lack of dino snacks. But it’s replaced by a dangling rotted skeleton and since I have a phobia of bones, that kind of takes it down a couple of notches on the favourite scale. But I love Billy, I know some people hate him, but I love him. Also Ellie's scenes. Ellie is gold. So this is pretty good.

text 2019-01-19 20:14

Length: 1h 15min

Favourite character: Godric/Godith
Crush: Hugh Beringar…
Least Favourite character: King Stephen

Mini-review: This was a pretty solid adaption. There were a few changes that I’ll touch on in the minor complaints section, but I thought this was well done, well cast and well written.

Minor complaints: My biggest complaint is that Godith left as Godith. When she and Torold leave, she’s supposed to still be in disguise, but in this she leaves as a lady, which kind of bugged me. Other changes included added clues and delayed reveals, basically not enough to get worked up about.