logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: my-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-01-06 12:32
Breath of Earth
Breath of Earth - Beth Cato

The premise and outline for the story was fascinating, I always wanted to know what happened next which is sadly the only reason I manged to finish this book. Unfortunately for me the characters felt flat, especially the main character. A big problem for me was that I was repeatedly told how incredibly intelligent she was (especially for a female -_-) and yet based on everything I read in this book I have zero proof that she is anything above dumb, which is truly sad. I don't mind dumb characters except when I'm constantly told that they're not (Drives me bonkers!) and in circumstances like these (where men look down on women as the weaker sex) I would much prefer the character to be more than just a special snow flake.

2.5 stars. I won't be reading any more of this series.

review 2017-01-06 12:13
When Demons Walk
When Demons Walk (Sianim Book 4) - Patricia Briggs

I've never really paid that much attention before but thinking back on it Briggs seems to favour slow-burn relationships which is a big part of why I love her books, plus her characters are amazing.

It took me longer to get into this book than the others, mainly because at the beginning I was preoccupied with determining when and where this book was set (somewhere on the other side of the swamp would be my guess) and how it was related to Sianim. Of course I still have no bloody clue even with the hints it dropped here and there.
Anyways after I got over that and just settled into the story I started to really enjoy it. Loved the characters and the overall story, but I missed Aralorn & Wolf.

Very enjoyable book. 4 stars

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-01-06 11:49
Crooked Kingdom
Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Love love love this book. I'm completely devastated there's only 2! I want so much more!

On another note, while I am going to rate this book 5 stars because it was spectacular I did notice during a moment that should have been heart-breaking I was feeling fairly 'meh' about it emotionally.

SPOILER BELOW - not at all annoying that it's not working.

Apparently I didn't connect with Mattias all that much. Leading up to it I was pretty concerned, but once it actually happened I think I felt more like 'ohhh... oh well' not the best reaction. Personally I think he was the safe choice when it comes to maximum emotional fuckery, Jesper or Inji would be the better choice if Bardugo really wanted to devastate her readers. In saying that I'm so glad the author chose Mattias instead! Haha mean I know but if one had to be sacrificed I choose him too.

(spoiler show)

4.5-5 stars

review 2017-01-06 11:42
The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo
The Ghost Bride - Yangsze Choo

The main character was clearly dropped on her head as a child, and I had a lot of other issues with this book. Weirdly I still enjoyed the writing style, enough so that I didn't ditch the book. Which is saying something. The topic was also rather interesting.

Still had some major issues, like the MC being insanely shallow. 2 (ish) stars.

review 2017-01-06 11:21
Nevernight
Nevernight - Jay Kristoff

4.5 stars

I loved this book. I was unsure at the beginning, but I'm so glad I stuck it out. This book is 100% one of my favorites of 2016.
NEED to get my mitts on book 2!!