logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: my-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-23 19:10
Review: City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare
City of Glass - Cassandra Clare

Amid the chaos of war, the Shadowhunters must decide to fight with the vampires, werewolves and other Downworlders - or against them. Meanwhile, Jace and Clary have their own decision to make: Should they pursue the love they know is forbidden?

This book so far in the series was my favorite. I liked everything about it. We get a little of everything in this book.

Lots of suspense, twist and turns, action, humor and romance.  We learn a lot of new things, meet new people and a lot will be answered. We also see more of the other clans of the downworld.

I think this book was supposed to be the final installment in the series and you can tell how everything just comes together perfectly in the end.

But of course most of the book we get heartbreak with war, clave politics and even some big losses in the war.

The Clave of course thinks that they still know what is best for the Shadowhunters and of course acts on that but that is not always the best as we have learned in the past. They are very stuck in their old ways and really dislike change, any change.

Clary has come a long way since book one where she learned about this new world. She finally knows what she can do and embraces it even more. While she might not be the strongest fighter, she still is a very strong shadowhunter. Clary was not always my favorite person, but I really like who she has become, throughout her many trials and errors. She still has some TSTL moments but overall has much improved.

Jace, is still kind of going through a dark patch in this book but being Jace he fights through it and does what he does best. Fight for the ones he loves. I loved that he comes to terms with his feelings and actually verbalizes them. And not even in his typical snark. No, we got some really beautiful and heartwarming moments with Jace in this book.  We also learn some surprising things about him and his past. He also had some great growth throughout the series so far.

The Lightwoods, take a major hit in the family, but that does not keep them down. No, it makes them stronger in a way. Love Izzy and Alec, also love that Alec has become more open about his feelings. I wish that would be the same about Izzy abut a certain person.

There are some things happening to Joslyn, we get learn a lot more new things about Valentine as well. About both of them and their past. Of course we learn even more about his plans and why and how far he is willing to go and how far he already went.

Simon there are a lot of things happening to Simon again and yes he always has a thing for getting caught in trouble somehow. Some things are stil in the dark and could use some answers about him.

Luke, we get a great deal of Luke. He is actually a major player in this war and how to stop it. I really like what we see of him and how far he also has come and how he seems to be growing more and more back into the shadow- world as a downworlder and trying to unite them all.

Overall, great book loved every minute of it and really looking forward to see what happens next in the series.

I rate this book a full 5 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“And I'm suppose to sit by while you date boys and fall in love with someone else, get married...?" His voice tightened. "And meanwhile, I'll die a little bit more every day, watching.”

***

“Not everything is about you," Clary said furiously.

"Possibly," Jace said, "but you do have to admit that the majority of things are.”

***

“People aren't born good or bad. Maybe they're born with tendencies either way, but its the way you live your life that matters.”

***

“Did you ever think that in a past life Alec was an old woman with ninety cats who was always yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off her lawn? Because I do,”

***

“Have you tried talking to her?"

"No. We've been punching her in the face repeatedly. What? You don't think that will work?”

***

“I have a fetish for damsels in distress.”

“Don’t be sexist.”

“Not at all. My services are also available to gentlemen in distress. It’s an equal opportunity fetish.”

review 2018-01-23 18:53
Review: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare
City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what’s normal when you’re a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who’s becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn’t ready to let her go—especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary’s only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil—and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings—and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City’s Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

4 ½ ★

While this book is a bit shorter than the first book it has a lot more going on I thought. We deal not only with the after math of the ending of last book but also a lot new things are happening. And not only to Jase and Clary.

Everyone is still trying to find and stop Valentine who still is out to kill all downworlders but also is still trying to recruit Jace on his site.

Both Jace and Clary still trying to deal with the news from the last book. Both doing it in very different ways all the while they trying to drift away from each other, but it is very clear and painful that they still have feelings for each other. Jace alsohas much larger problem to deal with. The clave wants him imprisoned or worse. The Lightwoods, well only Maryse and Robert are also not helping him. He is very alone and in a dark spot in this book. But it just brings out his strength and he never gives up with the help of his friends.

Clary is still trying to wake her mother and also still new to the shadowhunter world that she got thrown in last book. She is learning more and more about her heritage and the power she has. She is also having a hard time with the news bout Jace from last book and is leaning on Simon for comfort. They grow very close to each other, which I was not a fan off at all. It was just seemed odd, especially with her feelings for Jace yet.

Simon has some major things happening to him in this book as well. And I have to say he does take it rather well. I must confess that I’m not sure of what to think about it just yet, I think I will see how it all plays out before I make up my mind. While I like Simon and he is super funny and loyal to the bone I can’t say I’m his biggest fan yet, but that might change or not. We shall see.

We see a lot of Luke, which I like, he sort of keeps them informed and somewhat sane. He fights with them no matter what it seems like. The same goes for Lizzy and Alec, they help them out even when their parents are anti Jace at the moment. But it seems like Alec is still not all team Clary he still helps her out. We get to see some Magnus and I love it, I just wish we would get more of him and more of him with Alec.

We learn a lot more of some of the downworlders, the fae, vamps and wolves play a rather big part in this book.  We also learn more about the clave and Idris. Though I thought the clave is still a clan full of D&cks .

Instead the cup Valentine needs and wants the Soulsword , in order to go forward with his plan.

The ending was good and I can’t wait to read the next book. One thing is clear in this book. Nothing is ever just white and black and don’t trust anyone.

Overall, I loved the book, it had a lot of action and suspense with a mix of humor and some light romance. With get some answers but in the end we are left with even more questions. I enjoyed this book even a little more than the last book.

I rate it 4 ½ ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“No, I'm just a very naughty boy. I do all sorts of bad things. I kick kittens. I make rude gestures at nuns.”

***

"How did you get Magnus to let Jace leave?"

"Traded him for Alec," Clary said.

Isabelle looked mildly alarmed. "Not permanently?"

"No," said Jace. "Just for a few hours. Unless I don't come back," he added thoughtfully. "In which case, maybe he does get to keep Alec. Think of it as a lease with an option to buy."

Isabelle looked dubious. "Mom and Dad won't be pleased if they find out."

"That you freed a possible criminal by trading away your brother to a warlock who looks like a gay Sonic the Hedgehog and dresses like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?" Simon inquired. "No, probably not.”

***

“I thought I'd lie on the floor and writhe in pain for a while," he grunted, "It relaxes me."

"It does? Oh - you're being sarcastic. That's a good sign probably.”

***

“Is there some particular reason that you're here?" ...

"Not this again."

"Not what again?" said Clary.

"Every time I annoy him, he retreats into his No Mundanes Allowed tree house." Simon pointed at Jace.”

***

“As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be?”

review 2018-01-23 18:29
Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it’s hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary’s mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.

But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know…

I was meaning to get to this series for a long time now, I finished The Infernal Devices series a couple years ago and loved it. I just got sider tracked and busy before I now finally get to this series.
I must admit I have seen the movie and started watching the TV show so I somewhat knew what is going on in this first book. But the book is always a little different than the movie and even more so with the TV show.
I must say I did enjoy the characters way more in the books, we get to know much more about them and the multiple POV gives us a good glimpse of everyone’s doing and emotions.
I started out not being a huge fan of Clary but ended up liking her more and more. Considering what all was thrown at her she really handled it well and adapted really quickly. I’m curious how she continues to grow.
Jace, I liked book Jace soooo much better, so much more depth to him, also can see a vulnerable side of him. He also has a wicked sense of humor… which I like.
The whole Clary /Jace thing I knew was coming but still not like it. I’m curious to see how it plays out
Alec and Izzy. Not a fan of Alec and his high horse but I’m pretty sure that will change along the story lines. I always loved Izzy though just something about her that I always liked but can’t really pinpoint.
Magnus. I really enjoy him and was kind of disappointed that we only see him for a brief time in the first book and hope we get to see more of him all together throughout the series.
While I knew most of the twist and turns coming I still enjoyed it since we get it a bit different. Overall I really enjoyed this book and the fight of good versus evil, with nephilims, vampires, wolfs and more.
The only dislike I sort of had was that in the beginning everyone was anti Clary but in the end all was magically forgiven almost, and okay and justified. It seemed a bit too easy for me that everyone just turned the leave on it .
I’m looking forward to book two that I have handy since I bought the box set and I’m hoping that I can binge read them now, plus the other books will be more of a surprise to me.
I rate it 4 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”
***
“Can I help you with something?"
Clary turned instant traitor against her gender. "Those girls on the other side of the car are staring at you."
Jace assumed an air of mellow gratification. "Of course they are," he said, "I am stunningly attractive.”
***
“Don't." Clary raised a warning hand. "I'm not really in the mood right now."
"That's got to be the first time a girl's ever said that to me," Jace mused.”
***
“Where there is love, there is often also hate. They can exist side by side.”

review 2018-01-23 10:00
Book Tour & Review! Something To Howl About & Baby, I'm Howling For You (Alphaville #.5 & # 1) Christine Warren
Baby, I'm Howling For You (Alphaville) - Christine Warren
Something to Howl About - Christine Warren

Something to Howl About

WELCOME TO ALPHAVILLE, where the she-wolves and alpha-males play. . .for keeps, in a brand-new paranormal romance series from New York Times bestselling author Christine Warren.

Dr. Annie Cryer has been called many things: Genius. Child prodigy. Scientific wonder.

Wolf Shifter.

Banished from her pack years ago, Annie’s lone wolf wandering has brought her to Alpha, Washington, home to all shifters who don't quite fit in in the "normal" shifter word. Now Annie has the chance to go back home...if only she can make good on a favor her alpha owes the mayor of “Alphaville.” But it's not much of a favor when you're helping the hottest shifter in town...

Grizzly shifter Jonas Browning has a clan in trouble. They haven't had a child born in over a hundred years...and their clan faces going completely extinct. Genetic scientist Anne Cryer has been sent to help save them. But what Jonas doesn't count on is being irresistibly drawn to the small wolf shifter, and his bear isn't about to let her go…

Christine Warren’s “Others” series is one of my favorites so I was very excited to know that she was writing a new series that takes place in the same world and Something to Howl About is the prequel to the new Alphaville series. The characters are strong, compelling and draw readers into the story and romance is full of sparks and heat which keep readers glued to the pages. The prequel is a great short story to get this series going, in fact the only thing that could possibly make it better would be if it was longer because I wasn’t ready for it to end, but that’s okay, I’m off to read Baby, I’m Howling For You now.

Something to Howl About is the prequel to the Alphaville series.

And is available in ebook at:

Amazon   B&N Nook   Google Play   Kobo   Ebooks.com   iBooks

Macmillan

Baby I’m Howling For You

WELCOME TO ALPHAVILLE, where the she-wolves and alpha-males play. . .for keeps.

Renny Landry is a wolf on the run. Pursued by a shapeshifting stalker and his slobbering pack of killer coyotes, she is forced to flee her job as a librarian to find sanctuary in the wooded hills of Alpha, Washington. A well-secluded safe space for troubled shifters, Alpha is Renny’s last hope. But the first person she meets there is a gorgeous alpha male with fiery eyes, fierce tattoos, and one ferocious appetite—for her…

Mick Fischer thought he left his past behind when he moved to Alpha. But fate has a way of biting him in the tail when a female wolf shows up on his property. Wounded, desperate—and disarmingly hot—Renny brings out the snarling, protective alpha beast in Mick like no other woman he’s known. Can these two haunted, hunted wolves manage to mate for life…even as the deadliest past demons howl at their heels?

Well, I am sincerely pleased to announce that once again, Christine Warren has brought her fabulous world to life with well written words that paint vivid images that makes readers feel as if they are part of the story. The characters are strong, captivating and grab the reader’s attention right from the start and in this case, Renny and Mick draw readers into an emotionally turbulent romance that is full of heat and spice and you can practically feel the chemistry between them as it flies from the pages.

The fast paced plot is full of thrills and suspense that keep readers on the edge of their seat while a bad alpha keeps the danger coming as he has fixated on Renny and then the author adds a few surprising twists to keep readers guessing.  This story has it all with lots of romance, suspense, heat, great dialogue that makes it easy for the readers to relate to the characters and feel as if they really come to life and let me tell you the alpha males are super sexy and they are definitely playing for keeps, of course I don’t mind because they can certainly keep me.

Another great series from Christine Warren, which isn’t surprising since I love her other books. This book starts off with plenty of excitement and I was glued to the pages from very first one. I loved Alphaville and there is some really interesting characters that live there, so I can’t wait to visit again.

Baby, I’m Howling For You is the 1st book in the Alphaville series

And is due to be released on January 30, 2018 and is

available in print & ebook at:

Amazon   Barnes & Noble   Books-a-Million   IndieBound   Powells

Macmillan   GPlay   Nook   Kobo   ebooks.com   iBooks

The 3rd book Your Lion Eyes is set to be released on December 4, 2018

Christine Warren

CHRISTINE WARREN is the bestselling author of The Others series, including Wolf at the Door, Big Bad Wolf, Born to Be Wild, Prince Charming Doesn’t Live Here, and Black Magic Woman. Born and raised in coastal New England, she now lives as a transplant in the Pacific Northwest. (She completely bypassed those states in the middle due to her phobia of being landlocked). When not writing, she enjoys horseback riding, playing with her pets, identifying dogs from photos of their underbellies, and most of all reading things someone else had to agonize over.

Christine can be found at:

Author Website   Facebook   Twitter   Goodreads   BookBub

Amazon

text 2018-01-23 07:08
South Bellmore Veterinary Group Review: How to make sure that your dog is happy all the time

Having a dog inside your home certainly brings a lot of joy to the family and its love to your entire family has no boundaries and is eternal, so in exchange of your dog’s lasting loyalty and care, you must ensure that it is always happy and has a bright personality. And in order to achieve this, South Bellmore Veterinary Group prepared a few tips below to make sure of your dog’s happy life:

Buy presents for your dog

Your dog would love getting presents from its owner and giving them toys would be a great idea. Seeing their excited and cheerful expressions would definitely touch your heart as well. Consider giving them toys one at a time, and keep other newly bought toys inside your cabinet so that whenever they got bored with their current toys, you can just take those toys from the cabinet and give it to them as if they’re brand new. Doing this, you can avoid buying toys on a regular basis and save money for another important purpose.

Invite your dog for a walk

Give your dog a new environment by taking it outside once in a while. Enjoy the weather of early mornings where the sunlight gives a rejuvenating feeling and the air from the trees is refreshing. Don’t miss the opportunity to experience those kinds of good feelings so take your dog for a walk during early mornings on weekends if you have work on weekdays. South Bellmore Veterinary Group is certain that both of you will get positive energy from walking under a pleasant weather.

Teach your dog a few tricks

Giving your pet dog a proper training can boost its happiness gauge as well. Dogs have no problem in learning certain tricks, and while teaching it important lessons, you’re also spending meaningful time with it which creates beautiful moments for you and your pet dog. Training your dog might include different steps so if you’re confused where to start, get the professional help of a certified pet trainer.

Give your dog regular baths

Make sure that your dog is always refreshed and clean to avoid irritation and allergens. Ensure that it is cleaned at least twice or thrice a month if it is still not used to taking a bath, but this still depends on the breed of your dog. Make your dog love water and the idea of having its body washed so that you can take it for a bath for a lot of time than two or three times a month.

Let your dog meet new people or animals

You can give a huge lift to the self-esteem of your dog if you allow it to meet new people together with their pets. Your dog might not be able to handle meeting a lot of people or animals all at once, so better take its personality into consideration as well and it would be best to take things slow and introduce people and pets one at a time.

Ensure a well-balanced diet

South Bellmore Veterinary Group would also like you to remember that your dog needs to have a well-balanced diet too to make sure of its healthy condition. Your veterinarian holds the best answer to what foods suit the needs of your dog. Make sure to note all of his recommendations and tips regarding giving a proper diet to your pet since he’ll take into account the age and weight of your dog as well.

Take your dog to his vet regularly

Choosing a vet who will take care of your dog should involve a careful process so that you will end up with a trustworthy vet like the South Bellmore Veterinary Group who does professional care to animals to the best of their ability. Visit your vet every six months and see to it that he’s keeping your dog in check and maintaining its good health condition.

Raise your dog with a calm and positive environment

If your dog grows into a happy, cheerful, positive and calm household, it can also adapt those attributes as well and develop good qualities. You should show a good lifestyle to your dog since it can absorb and also imitate your way of life like a sponge.