logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: new-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-24 14:49
The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig
The Post-Office Girl (New York Review Books Classics) - Stefan Zweig

“Happiness can reach a pitch so great that any further happiness can’t be felt. Pain, despair, humiliation, disgust, and gear are no different.”

What a beautifully dark and heart-wrenching tale this was! Like other Stefan Zweig novels that i have read even this had a strange impact on me. I felt restless while reading this. Neither i could continue reading nor could I stop. I loved the way how he forces his readers to get involved with his characters and their story even if they don’t want to which is evident in his writing he stresses every word, every sentence till the reader gets the hang of it.

Christine a simple girl working in a post office in a small village is ignorant of any kind of luxuries that exists in life till she receives a letter from her aunt and uncle to join them in Swiss Alpine resort to give them company for a while. But the moment Christine steps in her new life her old self is dead instantly. It becomes difficult for Christine to be the same old person that she was even after returning from her abrupt vacation and that’s when her life becomes a living hell. She feels caged. Neither she could fit into her current life nor could she get out. She feels a constant embarrassment to lead her life. Her every thought, her every move was heart breaking to read. But the curiosity of what step Christine takes next kept me glued to this story as it was unpredictable. And then she meets Ferdinand, a war veteran who is as unhappy with his life and the society as Christine is and somehow their coming together disturbs both their lives entirely. Although the ending is abrupt yet I couldn’t have asked for any better ending than that because personally i was not prepared for a closed ending as I didn’t wanted to know what Ferdinand and Christine ended up doing together.

Must say I love this author and I am sure of reading all his works, essays, short stories, novellas and anything that he has ever written. His prose is like poetry to me.

review 2017-06-18 21:01
The Paris Spy
The Paris Spy - Susan Elia MacNeal

I cannot get enough of this series so when I saw this latest installment on Netgalley I just had to request it. No matter what is happening in my life I am always up for reading about Maggie Hope. This time Maggie is in Paris trying to find a spy that she believes might have been compromised and also trying to find her half-sister Elise.

While this was was not as dark as some previous books in the series this is still pretty dark and filled with heartbreak for Maggie and readers. As with the other books in the series this follows not only Maggie but other characters. You really grow close to the agents in Paris the more that you read and can't help but feel despair at what happens to certain characters.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the growing relationship between Maggie and her sister. They were able to really bond in this book and I hope their relationship gets a chance to grow even further in the future.

I was not expecting the ending and it has left me dying to know what happens next.

review 2017-06-13 01:03
Room for Doubt
Room For Doubt (A Carol Childs Mystery) (Volume 4) - Nancy Cole Silverman

After the last book in this series I wasn't sure if I was going to continue reading this series. I ultimately decided to give this book a try and I am glad that I did. Carol is back with a really interesting mystery surrounding a death that police have ruled a suicide. Carol's investigation with the help of pesky but hunky PI Chase will lead her to discover covered up murders that just might lead her to a group of women determined to get justice.

I was glad that Carol didn't seem too over her head in the investigation in this book. Her decisions and behavior (especially towards the end) really surprised me. I have to admit that I didn't like the relationship between her and Chase or at least what it became. I liked it better when she was annoyed with him.

While the plot at times seemed a bit far-fetched I still really enjoyed this book. I look forward to reading more from this series.

review 2017-05-07 02:56
Watching the Detectives
Watching the Detectives - Julie Mulhern

I'm starting to think that this series could never disappoint me. I cannot tell you what you I felt when I saw that there was a new book in this series. Needless to say I enjoyed this one as much as I have the others in the series.

Ellison is such a great character to follow. I love her sense of humor and how strong a woman she has become. She also can't help but find dead bodies which provides endless annoyance for her mother and ends up putting Ellison in danger.

I figured out what the first deceased character had been doing that caused her to be killed a little before it was revealed but I was still wrong about who killed her. Ellison and I were both surprised in the end.

The end with Ellison and Anarchy left me with hope for a future romance between them. But then again I've been hoping for a couple of books now.

review 2016-10-09 20:49
And this is why I joined the NYRB Book Club
The Invisibility Cloak (New York Review Books Classics) - Ge Fei,Canaan Morse

Oct 2016 NYRB Club Selection

Talk about reading a book about life, this is it. If all of Ge Fei's work is like this, he deserves the Nobel.

One story about man's life and his desire for something, is actually a brilliant comment about most lived.