logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: new-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-23 10:00
Release Day Review! The Coyote’s Cowboy (Masters of Maria #5) Holley Trent!
The Coyote's Cowboy - Holley Trent

Those sexy shapeshifters are once again on the prowl in Maria, New Mexico, in this tender romance that explores the soft side of being accepted—and loved.

Sheena Esposito has never rocked the boat in her father’s repressive Coyote pack, but when she learns of his intentions to further antagonize a rival alpha, she can’t stay quiet. She must warn the good guys that trouble is headed their way.

When her search lands her outside Maria, New Mexico, a surly ranch hand pegs her as an annoying stray dog. Desperate to keep his new job, cowboy Austin Stuart plans to get rid of the distraction. Yet, according to his little brother, the dog is really a human, and she’s on the run. Could this get more ridiculous? But he soon finds out shapeshifters are very real…and all signs point to Austin being Sheena’s mate.

After a lifetime spent recovering from one embarrassing social gaffe after another, Austin is open to trading his solitude for a chance at having a partner who’s kind about his rough edges—and no one’s sweeter than Sheena. Unfortunately, Sheena is still under her abusive father’s thumb, and she knows he’s waiting for her back in Sacramento.

It’s up to Austin to convince her that the bravest thing she can do is stay in Maria—not only for him, but so she can incite lasting change in Coyote culture as well.

Sensuality Level: Sensual

I have just returned from an exciting visit to the Town of Maria where I met two strong and captivating characters. Sheen and Austin held me hostage with their sweet romance as they traversed some rocky slopes, emotional turmoil and dealt with an overbearing and dare I say…evil, alpha / father all while taking pleasure in some red hot passion when their sizzling attraction could not be denied. I felt like I really got to know Sheena, Austin and the people of Maria as Holley Trent brought her wonderful characters to vivid life which made my visit such an exciting event because I felt like I was a part of the action as Sheena fought for her freedom and for her right to choose. Although this trip was a bit short, my visit to Maria was fast paced but full of anticipation and excitement and I can’t wait for my next which will take place in July.

The Coyote’s Cowboy is the 5th book in the Masters of Maria series.

The 6th book - The Coyote’s Bride is due to be released on July 23, 2018.

The Coyote’s Cowboy is available in ebook at:

Amazon - US   CA   UK   AU

B&N   GPlay   iBooks   Kobo

Holley Trent can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter   BookBub   Instagram

review 2018-04-23 10:00
Review! Jupiter (Were Zoo #2) R.E. Butler!
Jupiter - R.E. Butler

Second-in-command lion shifter Jupiter Ross has a lot on his plate. As the head of security for Amazing Adventures Safari Park, he has to ensure the safety of not only the humans who come through the gates every day, but the natural animals, and most importantly, the shifters who live and work in secret at the park. The alphas have recently determined that bringing in unmated humans for VIP park tours would allow some of the males and females to find their soulmates, and that increased Jupiter’s duties tenfold. As an unmated male, he’d like to find his soulmate and settle down, but he’s not sure that random human females coming in for free tours is the way to go.

When Celeste Patterson receives an invitation for a free tour of the safari park, she and her best friend, Adriana, can’t wait to go. Even though they’re separated and unable to take the tour together, Celeste can’t help but think that a wonderful adventure is just around the corner. Jupiter is amazed to discover that his soulmate is in fact one of the recipients of a VIP tour invitation. The feisty female is everything he could have ever wanted in a mate, from her gorgeous curves to her mile-wide attitude.

Get your ticket and get in line for the Amazing Adventure Safari Park VIP Tour. You just might be lucky enough to find your happily ever after.

I’m excited to say that I got my ticket and got to go to the Amazing Adventure Safari Park and while I didn’t find my happily ever after, I sure enjoyed meeting all the wonderful shifters and the exciting sights.

And I also have to say that Jupiter and Celeste certainly livened up my tour with their sizzling chemistry and sweet romance as they got their happily ever after. These strong, compelling characters are vibrant and fit right in at the Park.

I only got to visit the Park for a short time, but it was definitely an enjoyable trip that I fit perfectly into my lunch break and I am saving up tickets so that I may visit often and meet more of R.E. Butler’s fascinating characters in their own habitat.

Jupiter is the 2nd the book in the Were Zoo series.

The Were Zoo series so far includes:

1   Zane

2   Jupiter

3   Win

4   Justus

5   Devlin

#6 Kelley will be released on May 7, 2018

Jupiter is available in ebook at:

Amazon   A-UK    B&N   iBooks   Kobo   Smashwords

R.E. Butler can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter   BookBub

review 2018-04-23 05:22
Psychological thriller which puts sexual assault and harassment at the center, and keeps you gripped all the way through; an unassuming title but a great twist
The Girl I Used to Be - Mary Torjussen

This is a psychological thriller that is hard to put to down, and despite the unassuming title, this novel goes from being a story about a seemingly innocuous meeting with a prospective client for estate agent Gemma to a full-blown harassment and sexual assault case. Gemma is the breadwinner of her family, with her husband being at home with their three-year old son, and while she is trying hard to deal with the mounting stress of running a company, she’s constantly dealing with the anxiety of an incident in her past. Suddenly she is very much alone in a world where she is being harassed by private messages and letters, and she is finding herself lying and wondering who she is becoming.
It’s so hard to review this without revealing a major amount about the plot but this had me quickly turning the pages because author Mary Torjussen has crafted the perfect thriller whereby she has weaved a story from the character’s past into one in the present day, and while I was reading I felt Gemma’s anxiety - and fear - all the way through. It really was compulsive reading.
I will also personally disclose that the initiating incident that Gemma experiences, the one that she feels she must run from, and the one that is the cause of so much tragedy (revealed in part 2), is something that I personally went through myself. I only wish this sort of thing didn’t actually have to be something that becomes the basis of both adult and YA fiction, but (yes, this is my trigger warning), sexual assault happens, and will continue to be a part of fictional and non-fictional works. As women start to fight back by talking about it, as now it is very much a topic of our time (there’s a line in the book acknowledging that once upon a time, it wasn’t talked about so easily), it has become different when we read about it too.
This is actually the second book released this year that I have read with this similar sexual assault issue.
The book is thoroughly engaging to read and I liked the ‘two parts’ that it was separated into, with the massive twist. I don’t know what I’d change it to, but for some reason I have an issue with the title, although I understand the concept of how we look back at what we ‘used to be’, feeling like we have changed so much, or looking at what we were back then, but I want something else to grab people by. This book is so good and too clever for people to miss.

Like Reblog
text SPOILER ALERT! 2018-04-22 22:38
Reading progress update: I've read 318 out of 518 pages.
Sophie's World - Paulette Møller,Jostein Gaarder

I'm over 50% done with this book and I'm surprised with the twist. Sophie and the others are characters in a story read by Hilde. It reminds of the twist with The Lego Movie.

(spoiler show)
review 2018-04-22 21:49
A nostalgic re-read after 45 years
Plague Ship / Voodoo Planet (Ace Double, D-345) - Andre Norton

Rating: 3.5* of five

Why not more stars, as this is a sentimental favorite? Because I'm rereading it at closer-to-70-than-4o instead of closer-to-10-than-20. It's dated, of course, but it's still a thumping good read for its wonderful interconnectedness to the other parts of Norton's universe: the Forerunners, the Salariki (a catlike people from Planet Sargol), the gems so bewitchingly described...after all, gems are perfect high-value low-bulk trade goods...the horrible, misery-sowing religious professionals, the Patrol, the finny rockets.

As I'm rereading at a time in life where I've had more and vastly enriching experiences translating ideas from page to screen, or at least trying to, I kept looking for the modern technology to slot into the story. It was surprisingly easy to do. Also surprisingly easy was gaying it up. When the <I>Agatha Christie's Marple</i> adapters showed the way to tart up a fairly drab story, by today's TV standards, was to chuck a gay subplot into it, I was galvanized. Heck fire, most of it was already there already! Like with Dame Agatha's stuff, Grand Master Norton's practically has footnotes saying "re-interpret this passage, 21st century storyteller" and wowee toledo does the Solar Queen (heh) have the goods.

The cover of the edition I'm posting is the one I had as a youth. The Kindle Megapack is more convenient, of course, but I still sigh wistfully at the laughable cover art from an era when we hadn't even been to the Moon yet.

Had I been consulted, I'd've told Reed Hastings' people to skip rebooting <I>Lost in Space</i> (which was a dog in 1966 and is a prettier dog in 2018) and instead *make* an episodic entertainment of the Solar Queen chronicles. Someone should...all the elements are there. The youthful, handsome protagonist Dane leaving school, joining the crew he bonds with, growing as a man and as a trader with lurches forward and swattings backward.

I don't know if modern (under-45) readers would have the patience to mentally update the old tech (space ships with mag-tape computers?!) but I'd say this series is a decent place to test the tepidarium of Papaw's stories.