Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-a-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-23 15:07
A dystopian novel that really seemed like a glimpse into the future: global warming has taken its toll at last, but is there any slice of hope? Fascinating read!
Pills and Starships - Lydia Millet

I really enjoyed this ‘glimpse into the future’, because while this is indeed a dystopian novel, it sure seemed like I was reading a real journal (that of the main character, Nat, who writes it in the week leading up to her parent’s planned death). I chose this book for a group read on Litsy, where we send a book, marked up with our notes, along to the next person, and the other three do the same with their picks, so that we have a book mailing circle.
This first caught my eye in my local indie bookstore, where it had a recommendation tag (and an awesome cover), and the premise is this: teen siblings named Nat and Sam, accompany their parents to Hawaii who together have decided to spend their ‘Final Week’ before the contract for their deaths is carried out. Nat and Sam are long to say their goodbyes. That’s right, in this imagined future, where global warming has finally made the world so unbearable and everyone gets through their days by taking moodpharms (ie happy pills because the world is so depressing), you can take out a contract for your death when you get old enough, and you can pay for assisted suicide on the Big Island (it’s not illegal anymore and quite encouraged, and rather embraced).
The world that is in this dystopian future is so sadly believable that I read it as if I had some sort of special peek into what was going to happen if we continued with what we are already doing to this planet, and I have a feeling author Lydia Millet has distinct opinions on what’s to blame for the ruin to come (I tended to agree!); it’s not hard to imagine much of our wildlife gone, whole states like Florida under water, a whole garbage vortex in the ocean....
I can’t say too much about the plot but this was a great, thought-provoking, interesting story, and I will say there was some hope at the end. It’s not a long book but it packs in a lot to think about. I hope for everyone reading it, that it makes them think a little bit more about their carbon footprint and about how we really are lucky to have this Earth.
*And I don’t care too much about a future without pet cats. That will be a sad day.

review 2018-03-23 10:00
New Release Review! Protected (Deadly Secrets #3) Elisabeth Naughton!
Protected (Deadly Secrets) - Elisabeth Naughton

A passion to live for—and to die for—in the RITA-winning series from New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Elisabeth Naughton.

Up-and-coming designer Kelsey McClane is on the cusp of success. Recently divorced, she should be enjoying her newfound freedom and glamorous future. Instead, she’s living in fear of the past. When she returns home to Portland on a press tour, danger creeps closer than ever. As threatening messages from her bitter ex-husband leave her vulnerable, a new man in her life makes her feel protected.

Former Army Ranger turned security professional Hunter O’Donnell is hired to guard Kelsey. When a shattering explosion rocks her world, Kelsey’s ex is the prime suspect, but Hunter speculates there’s more to the situation than Kelsey’s letting on. Intent on keeping her safe, he delves into Kelsey’s past. As the two work together to unmask her stalker’s identity, a fire ignites between them that they both struggle to contain.

While the investigation proceeds, it draws them closer not only to each other but also to a lethal plot that’s been in the works behind their backs. And with each new secret unveiled, it’s not just temptation putting them at risk—it’s a madman who will not stop until Kelsey is dead.

Protected keeps readers on the edge of their seat and glued to the pages with expectation in this exciting romantic thriller.

Kelsey and Hunter are strong characters that have an electrifying chemistry that readers can practically feel sizzling through the pages although they have rocky romance due to emotional issues and hang-ups which adds depth to the characters and really draws readers into their story. As their attraction heats up so does the insecurities and doubts which really keeps readers in suspense about the ability of this couple reaching their HEA.

There is never a dull moment in this fast paced plot that keeps the heart pounding and adrenaline pumping as anticipation builds throughout the story as misdirection and surprising twists keeps the thrills coming with danger around every corner and an enemy that is always one step ahead of the couple.

This is the first book that I have read in the Deadly Secrets series, but not the first book that I have read by Elisabeth Naughton and as I love her Eternal Guardians series, I just had to try this one. I’m not sure how I missed the first two but I will be going back and reading them as the author has once again brought another story to brilliant life with well written words that make the story very life like and the wonderful characters are full of depth that made me feel as if I really knew and understood this couple.

Protected is the 3rd book in the Deadly Secrets series.

Deadly Secrets is available in print or ebook at:

Amazon   B&N   BaM   IndieBound   BookDepo

Elisabeth Naughton can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook    Twitter   BookBub   InstaGram   Amazon

review 2018-03-23 03:39
Personally, not for me
Fancy Pants - Susan Elizabeth Phillips

I had the flu while reading this so my notes/thoughts were mired in me feeling like I was experiencing a slow death. Because of the homophobic comments and misogyny, I just couldn't get into this. If I had read it when it was first published (I gave This Heart of Mine 5 stars and that has a huge problematic scene) maybe I would feel differently but as Sam(AMNReader) says, "when you know better, you do better" in her Review, I read it at age 35 in 2018 and I personally felt there were a lot of Not ok things being done and being said.

This was almost more of a contemporary with some romance as the main couple didn't spend a lot of time together. The heroine goes through one heck of a journey and I would have gave the book 2 stars for her alone but she makes a decision

doesn't tell hero she had his kid, even when original reason not to, wanted to stand on her own feet, becomes mute

(spoiler show)

; I just couldn't side with her. Romance books have to make me like the hero and heroine and I had no love for them here.

This was supposed to be a buddy read, Quotes/comments here but yeah, the whole flu thing kept me from being too talkative.

Anyway, a spoiled rich girl who travels to America, has one heck of a personal growth journey, and an abused runaway boy who plays golf, never feels good enough, and a handful of secondary characters that make the story better (Skeet and Miss Sybil) and worse (Holly Grace, not because of who she is married to but her comments).

Here are a couple of quotes I first started to highlight before the tone and flu took me over:

"Running musses your hair and makes your face all red. People won't love you if you're not pretty." She clasped Francesca tightly in her arms while she uttered this most terrible threat, using it the way other mothers might offer up the horrors of the boogey man.
The author did an amazing job, you'll get complete backstory on the heroine's mother, of showing why our heroine was the way she was. You'll think it is hard to sympathize with a spoiled rich girl but she never really had a chance to be anything else and she works her way out of it.

He threw the toothbrush at her, hitting her in the arm. "Take it! Take the fucking thing!

She drew back her arm and slapped his face as hard as she could. He slapped her back. Although he was mad enough to hit her, he wasn't mad enough to hurt her, so he struck her with only a small portion of his strength. Still, she was so small that she lost her balance and bumped into the side of a car. She grabbed the sideview mirror with one hand and pressed the other to her cheek. "Jesus, Francie, I hardly touched you." He rushed over and reached out for her arm.
There are some very touchy, cringing moments between the hero and heroine. At the point of these two quotes, the hero and heroine and only spent about a week together. The vibe of a guy throwing anything at the heroine in anger, screaming at her, or even slapping her "with only a small portion of his strength" in any context is take a good hard look at worthy but without personal relationship for knowing personalities, it feels abusive for the heroine. Men screaming at women just isn't the back and forth I look for; I don't know it felt super uncomfortable for me here.

"I want to do it! I know it's wrong. I know I shouldn't let you, but I just can't stand it anymore. I feel like I'm on fire." She tried to make him understand. "All those months, Billy T made me do it. All those months he hurt me. Don't I have the right, just once, to choose for myself?"
The younger issues involving the hero and Holly Grace was deep, dark, and I thought very emotional, it touches on issues no one likes to talk about but can be therapeutic for people to read and see discussed.

There were numerous comments about the heroine raising her son wrong and he might grow up "strange" or queer with the hero also early on making a comment about how he didn't want to be in a f****t calendar. Not my cup of tea views.

This was written well because Phillips is a good writer but well written homophobia is still homophobia. I didn't like a lot of the characters' actions and comments, it was stuff the romance community has seemed to want to clear out, which I definitely think to the betterment.

review 2018-03-22 17:52
Exposed - Bey Deckard

OMG! Finalmente l'ho finito!! Erano ormai mesi, da gennaio, che mi portavo avanti questa lettura e dopo SECOLI l'ho conclusa e la mia gioia in questo istante è immensa. Exposed è stato... stancante e questa volta non ho neanche una scusa per averci messo così tanto a finirlo semplicemente MI ANNOIAVA, era da tempo che non mi capitava tra le mani un libro così deludente e noioso, mi sono lamentata a morte di Pretty Poison ma almeno quello era breve e ti spingeva a continuare già solo per vedere come sarebbe finita la storia, aveva una seconda parte intrigante questo NO tanto che anche adesso... non mi sembra vero di averlo finalmente concluso... arrivata al 90% mi sembrava di non finire mai... è stata una maratona, infinita e semi mortale.
Exposed è un libro che... poteva dare di più, non sicuramente originalissimo a partire dai temi ma che se ben sviluppato poteva essere interessante e piacevole regalando al lettore anche qualche spunto di riflessione e che invece fallisce in pieno in TUTTO.
La storia fin da subito appare debole e piatta, un cantante in mezza crisi esistenziale incontra un fotografo, di 20 anni più grande di lui, i due escono insieme per una sera e da lì.... sex sex sex nulla di troppo elaborato e che proprio per questo avrebbe potuto concentrarsi sullo sviluppo dei personaggi. Non essendoci di fatto una trama forte mi sarei aspettata una cura maggiore per i due protagonisti. All'inizio sembrava che l'autore avesse preso sul serio la cosa che la storia non dovesse essere solo un escamotage ridicolo per presentarci scene erotiche caratterizzate dal Daddy Kink e dinamiche D/S ma qualcosa di più. Ci vengono presentati due personaggi spezzati e fragili, da una parte un uomo ormai adulto, un quarantenne fotografo distrutto per quanto gli è successo in passato e terrorizzato dall'idea di ferire un possibile partner a tal punto da aver rinunciato anche solo all'idea di poter trovare l'amore e dall'altra un giovane artista appena ventenne, un cantante amato dai fan ma depresso per il peso della fama, insicuro per la sua sessualità, vergine e alla ricerca di qualcosa che lo faccia sentire vivo, due persone che speravo potessero essere analizzate per bene dall'autore, assistere a momenti emozionanti e coinvolgenti tra i due, vedere come le loro paure e fragilità potessero essere abbracciate e colmate dal partner, come l'amore potesse salvare entrambi aiutandoli ad affrontare i propri demoni. Mi aspettavo riflessioni sulla fama, su come questa possa distruggere la vita degli artisti, su come sia complicato e mal visto dalla società un rapporto tra persone con 20 anni di differenza, come spesso anche solo un pettegolezzo possa distruggere una vita, ancora di più se famosa. Mi aspettavo tanto dal punto di vista umano e invece... IL NULLA. I personaggi nonostante un primo impatto positivo si rivelano in poco tempo vuoti, privi di qualsiasi realismo. Troviamo Greg un uomo che ai nostri occhi appare inizialmente come povera vittima ma ben presto si rivela un personaggio a mio avviso parecchio squallido, ci viene fin dal primo istante, neanche al 20% svelato il famoso segreto dell'uomo, il fatto che aveva un fidanzato e che per colpa di quest'ultimo si sente insicuro ed è dalla descrizione di questo rapporto che capiamo quanto Greg sia instabile. L'uomo era fidanzato con Travis, un ragazzo palesemente instabile mentalmente, un ragazzo che accettava di sopportare le pratiche Bdsm da parte di Greg senza lamentarsi e che alla prima occasione si recava in centri contro gli abusi per parlare dei suoi problemi, un ragazzo che palesemente aveva bisogno di aiuto e cosa ha mai fatto il grande Greg? Ma ovviamente alla prima occasione, dopo aver trovato il fidanzato in uno di questi centri ha pensato bene di portarlo a casa e giocare con lui, un bellissimo rape-play su una persona malata e complessata e da qui... le pippe mentali di Greg. Su come si senta colpevole, su come il mondo sia brutto e cattivo ecc e cosa fa l'autore? Permette a Greg di avere uno sviluppo normale, entrare in terapia ed affrontare la cosa? Ma ovviamente no, gli mette appresso Emyr, un ragazzetto che lo convince che il cattivo sia Travis! Lui doveva dire basta, lui doveva scappare, Greg è una povera vittima, non poteva certo sapere che un ragazzo che frequenta centri anti violenza può sentirsi davvero violentato durante un rapporto sessuale... mi ha fatto particolarmente schifo il tentativo di giustificare Greg e il fatto che ai lettori sia chiaro che anche lui abbia dei problemi. Questo non certo per il Daddy Kink. il fatto che esca con un ragazzino o che gli piaccia il Bdsm... ma per come si comporta... per tutto il libro abbiamo due parti, un Greg che piagnucola come un neonato rompendo l'anima al lettore con i suoi dubbi, le paure, incertezze , su come sia brutto e cattivo e un Greg mezzo psicopatico che se ne frega di ferire gli altri... Travis va in un centro per le violenze? Chissene, torna a casa e via di rape-play non consensuale. Emyr gli dice che lo ama? Silenzio e poi amici come prima. Emyr ammette di essere vergine? Via di fuga come un coniglio per evitare responsabilità! Il fidanzato esce per una sera? Via di spanking al ritorno per poi piangere in cameretta per il dolore causato al suo innamorato (quando l'idea era SUA). Greg è un personaggio negativo che avrebbe dovuto essere lui stesso curato, avere un aiuto che andasse oltre l'ammmore eterno del compagno. Lo possiamo notare anche quando incontra nuovamente Travis, il giovane ha CAPITO i suoi errori, ha capito di avere in parte sbagliato, di aver fatto sentire Greg uno stupratore, di averlo manipolato e si scusa e Greg qui avrebbe potuto dimostrare di essere cambiato, scusandosi a sua volta per NON aver CAPITO ai tempi il compagno e il suo dolore, i suoi problemi e invece... lo caccia come un cane rabbioso, incolpandolo di tutto e dimenticandosi che gli errori in una coppia si fanno in 2! Un personaggio quindi che ho detestato dall'inizio alla fine e che mi ha soltanto irritato. Stesso discorso ahimè per Emyr. Il ragazzo poteva a questo punto fare la differenza e infatti, di fronte ad un uomo con evidenti problemi e bisognoso di aiuto poteva essere la sua roccia, spingerlo ad entrare in terapia o parlare almeno con uno specialista dimostrando che non importa tanto la verginità, l'età, l'estrazione sociale ecc per salvare una vita... dimostrando che anche se giovane poteva essere l'ancora di salvezza di Greg, che poteva aiutarlo a diventare una persona migliore, CAPENDO i suoi demoni e sconfiggendoli in modo SANO e invece... si limita a fare il... ragazzino. Si fida dell'uomo fin dal primo istante, lo segue fregandosene delle conseguenze, del fatto che sia famoso e lui possa essere un paparazzo, si fa fotografare mezzo nudo fin dal primo incontro, non fa nulla per smentire le voci sulle sue foto online, quando viene lasciato come un cane perché vergine torna strisciando dal suo "Daddy", si fida di lui accettando qualsiasi pratica e ultima... ma non per importanza, alimenta in Greg la convinzione che sia LUI la povera VITTIMA e Travis il diabolico carnefice "Non devi piangere Greg, lui è brutto e cattivo, se si sentiva violentato è colpa sua, se davvero per lui era uno stupro doveva dirlo e scappare, lui è malato, non tu che magari l'hai visto piangere come un bambino e hai fatto finto di nulla perché non aveva usato una maledetta Safeword limitandosi a piangere e dire no... sei un povero angelo, TVB <3 anzi... Ti amo tanto mio ammmore <3"
Emyr si rivela insomma un personaggio ironicamente quasi più tossico di Greg e come se fosse in una setta, accetta tutto, capisce tutto e perdona tutto. La scelta poi di classificarlo come demisessuale mi ha fatto ulteriormente cadere le braccia chiedendomi se l'autore ha idea di cosa davvero significhi essere demi. Due personaggi pessimi che si compensano a vicenda che mi hanno fatto infuriare e ANNOIARE. Unico pregio della storia è lo stile dell'autore che SA SCRIVERE e sa cosa vuol dire creare la giusta tensione erotica, è infatti innegabile che Bey Deckard non sia una novellina e ammetto che nella prima parte, nel primo incontro, potevo sentire il desiderio di entrambi gli uomini, in cui entrambi gli uomini desiderano saltarsi addosso, in cui senti tutta la tensione, neanche fossero gli ultimi uomini rimasti sulla Terra (e qui... dimostrazione di come la Bey abbia idee confuse sulla persona demisessuale in quanto e cito "una persona demisessuale prova attrazione sessuale solo quando è presente un forte legame emotivo, amore romantico, o una profonda amicizia" quindi il caro Emyr con un completo sconosciuto incontrato giusto 10 minuti prima queste emozioni teoricamente neanche avrebbe dovuto provarle se davvero demi ma... OK... ), l'autore dimostra di saper creare il giusto tono ma... serve poi a poco se i due personaggi sono insopportabili e si comportano come due matti. Io ADORO il Daddy Kink, lo trovo intrigante eppure in questo romanzo, Greg mi ha reso impossibile apprezzarlo per i suoi modi di fare, idem per i Role Play... in altri casi il dottore/Daddy e il paziente/kiddo mi avrebbero fatta impazzire ma un Greg che di colpo se ne esce con un "Ma stai male?" tanto da spingere lo stesso Emyr a guardarlo in modo inquietante dicendo "Ehm... no? Sto benissimo?!" per poi uscirsene con un "Secondo me hai la febbre, lascia che la misuri con il mio grosso termometro" e via le mutande... mi ha fatto solo ridere... così come la "somministrazione" della magica medicina... "Lascia che metta la mia medicina dentro di te" io in queste scene NON dovrei ridere... se tu autore mi crei personaggi ridicoli e mi fai RIDERE... hai fallito, se mi crei un'ambiente erotico decente ma mi metti poi come personaggi Fantozzi e PinO... hai fallito. Questo libro è quindi... MEH... non ha bei personaggi, le scene erotiche sono troppo spesso noiose per la caratterizzazione di Emyr (il vergine che ha la professionalità di una pornostar) e Greg (il dottor Jekyll & Mr Hyde), la trama non va da nessuna parte, ti aspetteresti di vedere il segreto di Greg spuntare chissà quando nel libro e portare zizzania invece... viene spiattellato da pagina 20, manca realismo dei personaggi, momenti dolci o commoventi tra i due, personaggi secondari interessanti, qualcosa che ti spinga a continuare la lettura. Per tutto il tempo ho desiderato cancellare l'ebook dal mio E-reader e dimenticarmi della storia ma... siamo nel 2018 e DEVO essere una brava bimba anche senza un Daddy malatissimo come Greg accanto e... DEVO FINIRE le mie letture, per quanto orride quindi.... rullo di tamburi... ho finito di leggere Exposed, l'ho recensito e... LO SCONSIGLIO... lo sconsiglio perché fa solo venire il nervoso. Fosse meno lungo e pesante lo consiglierei quasi come libro trash visti gli effetti di alcune scene erotiche sul mio sistema nervoso ma così... proprio no. C'è di meglio... MOLTO di meglio! Scappate fino a che siete in tempo!!

review 2018-03-22 10:00
Release Day Review! Fiona’s Mates by Shelley Munro!
Fiona's Mates - Shelley Munro

A woman striving for adventure meets five shifter brothers…

When Fiona catches her husband cheating, she puts a full stop on their marriage. No longer prepared to take his abusive behavior, she kicks him out the door, determined to embrace change. A vacation is the perfect way to attack her courageous new life.

Stig is the youngest of five polar bear shifters, and his scheme to start an ice trucking business puts him and his brothers on an untraditional path. With everyone in Churchill against them—humans and shifters plus their matriarch—it’s a challenge to get their ice trucks on the road.

Fiona meets the sexy Stig and his gorgeous brother in Gillam. With their bulging muscles and stunning Nordic looks, something about the smiling duo imbues trust. Then, she meets their three older brothers, each charming and handsome, and her libido swings into overdrive. A dilemma since they’re openly interested in her, and choosing one? Impossible.

The Swenson brothers adore Fiona, and she brings out the best in them. Now that her vacation is ending, she’s discussing a return to Florida, but that might not be the worse of the trouble when menace stalks into Churchill and threatens to end their reverse harem forever…

The Swenson brothers and Fiona will sweep you off your feet in this sensational paranormal reverse harem romance.

The story is full of blazing hot sexual chemistry that burns up the pages as Fiona finds the relationship of a lifetime while seeking adventure. These strong, captivating characters draws readers in and if you are a red blooded female with a healthy appetite the brothers with blow the top of your temperature gauge and have you falling fast. I have to say that I thought Fiona was one lucky woman to leave a bad relationship and ended up in one with not one but five sexy polar bears. Although the relationship does have a few obstacles to overcome including an irate ma and decisions to be made which adds depth to the characters, the story also has a few chuckles to delight readers in this fast paced plot that had me shivering in pleasure and turning the fans on high.

Fiona’s Mates is available in ebook at:

Shelley Munro can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter   BookBub   Pintrest   Amazon