logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-a-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-20 18:22
This one gets 5 stars, 5 teary tissues and all the feelz from me...
Goal Line - F. Scott Fitzgerald,V.L. Locey

I’ve been crazy about this series from the word go and have loved each book more than the last one. I was honestly at the point where I thought my love for this series was maxed out but nope, I was wrong. This one…this one blew my mind and blindsided me with what has happened…I seriously did not see any of this coming…especially not the tears. My poor hubby came in from taking the dog for his morning walk to find me clutching my e-reader with soggy tissue in hand mumbling “dammit they made me cry!” He patted me on the shoulder and simply said “It’s been known to happen honey.” and went to make his morning tea…with my response of “Not when it’s a freakin’ hockey story. It doesn’t.” well, I was wrong apparently it does.

And that’s all the tear talk that we’ll be having today except to say that there were happy tears and sad tears and frustrated tears and some really pissed, angry tears and that’s the end of the tear talk.

‘Goal Line’ is puts us back inside the crease as we meet and spend time with fellow Canadian Bryan Delaney. The latest addition to the Railers and back-up for Sven the Railers totally adorable bigger than life Russian goalie. Bryan’s life hasn’t been the greatest, but he’s worked hard to get where he, is in spite of the obstacles he’s faced. Leaving his home in nowhere Canada at the age of 15 he found the beginnings of the family he should have had with his billet family before being drafter to the Raptors and can I just say that it’s a good thing he lived in Nowhere, Canada because I seriously want to get my hands on his parents…they do not deserve to be Canadian and we need to deport them to…the bottom of the ocean sounds good so let’s go with that, ok? I really came to love Bryan and at times his sense of insecurity and lack of self-worth more than anything were what brought me to tears, so the love and positive support that he received from Gatlin were like a balm to my soul. Bryan brought out my mother instincts practically from the word go and I have my milk and cookies ready for him.

For Bryan the Railers are a whole new creature when it comes to hockey teams as far as Bryan can see and he’s more than a little lost as to how to fit into this new and different team and when Sven takes him to get some new artwork for his helmet Bryan’s in for one more surprise when he meets Gatlin. Gatlin takes one look at Bryan and sees the history of sadness, heartache and insecurity that Bryan’s tried so hard to hide from the world and all he wants to do is to bring something good into Bryan’s life.

When Bryan gets drafted to the Railers he’s leaving behind more than a hockey team…he’s also leaving behind his first love affair…thank heavens because this one’s toxic city.

There’s a bit of an age gap between Gatlin and Bryan and while I’m ok with age gaps but still not a big fan of them. This one worked really well because of his age, Gatlin had the calm and maturity to be the supportive person that Bryan needed…these two men fit together effortlessly in my opinion and I so enjoyed their relationship…it worked really well for me. That’s not to say that they didn’t have some challenges to get there just that I had no problem believing that they would.

I think one of my favorite things about this book…actually about the series in general is how much we get to see of the characters from the previous books. It’s like getting a bag of my favorite candy when this happens in a series. I have such a weakness for this and because this story is based around a sports team it would honestly be bizarre to have it any differently.

‘Goal Line’ turns out to be a huge game changer for this series and one that I think will be as surprising for other fans of the series as it was for me, but I’m so on board to find out what happens next.

*************************

An ARC of ‘Goal Line’ was graciously provided by the authors in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-08-20 17:18
Story shrouded in darkness, just the way Kerrigan Byrne can do it so well.
The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo - Kerrigan Byrne

This story had me turning pages furiously from the very beginning. So much pain, darkness, and misery could not stand up to the light of Lorelai's innocence, caring, and persistence. Ash/the Rook was such an empty man, but I loved how he knew from the start that Lorelai belonged to him, was his safety, his reason for living, though he was unable to voice it. Their love changed both of them but for the better. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and could not put it down. I highly recommend it.

I received a copy of this story through Netgalley, and it is a Book Obsessed Chicks Review Team selection. This is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-08-20 16:27
#45 - Orpheum by D.S. Murphy
Orpheum - D.S. Murphy

I read the first part of Orpheum back in the beginning of this year so when I saw that it was updated I wanted to read the rest of the story. I really enjoyed it, but not as much as the first part though.

I always love the mix between ordinary and extraordinary things in books, it is so great to see those two worlds collide. It was again in this book, really well done.

I was a bit confused at the beginning because I was not sure about how the story ended and I had forgotten about most of the character’s names. But after a few pages it was easier, and I was really into it.

I don’t really know what to say because I don’t want to reveal any elements of the story, even more so if you have not read the first part of the book, but I can tell you that is really great and I definitely recommend this.

review 2018-08-20 14:42
Sweep in Peace by Ilona Adrews Review
Sweep in Peace - Ilona Andrews

Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews Elaine Howlin Book Blog Review

Sweep in Peace picks up 6 months after the events of Clean Sweep and life has returned to normal for Dina....but not for long ;) Her Inn is set to host the volatile peace talks between three warring species. Her livelihood hinges on the outcome and she ends up being pushed into a precarious position to protect her guests.

This book features 4 characters as adults who were kids in The Edge series. It isn't necessary to read The Edge books before this one but you should anyway cause those books are great!

Andrews manage to blend urban fantasy and science fiction so well with this series. Magic and technology don't usually go together but it's something they make work. Here they've blended the two genres without ever having one take over or feel out of place.

The story doesn't follow the Whodunit style that's very often in urban fantasy books. Instead, we're following the peace talks and the very tricksy Arbitrator wreak havoc in Dina's Inn. It made for much more interesting reading within my favourite genre and I gobbled it up!

Favourite Quote: "This is blasphemy!” Odalon declared in the same way Gerard Butler had once roared “This is Sparta.” Sadly, Odalon had nobody to kick into a bottomless hole for emphasis, so he settled for looking extremely put out.”

Source: elainehowlin.wordpress.com
review 2018-08-20 11:04
Review! Curse Across Time by Shelley Munro!
Curse Across Time - Shelley Munro

Life is a chariot race for Marc Angelo and Tarquin Navona. Friends, rivals and rock stars of Circus Maximus in ancient Rome, they wow the fans with their daring driving and take their choice of lovers. A fine life indeed—if Marc weren’t harboring feelings for Tarquin. It’s difficult to behave normally when he craves physical contact with his friend’s muscular body, but Marc resists, too afraid of losing Tarquin entirely.

He needn’t have worried. Fate has plans for them. Very long-term plans…

When a powerful sorcerer catches Marc and Tarquin with his wife, he curses them to imprisonment in stone. Centuries pass, and Marc’s love and lust for Tarquin only increase. His friend doesn’t have a clue, but that’s the least of their problems. They have no idea how to escape their predicament—and may be doomed to spend eternity cursed.

Inside Scoop: Marc and Tarquin take a brief dip into M/F/M ménage waters. They discover quickly enough they should’ve contained their lust to each other.

This book was previously published under the title Stoned.

Curse Across Time is an charming and passionate erotic romance with sexy gladiators that takes across time. Marc and Tarquin are two strong, compelling character that easily capture readers’ attention and draws them into their story. The relationship between these two is sweet but not without its problems both emotional and physical, since they are imprisoned in stone for centuries. The plot is fast paced and smooth and while the short side keeps readers captivated from the very beginning.

Curse Across Time is a delightful and sensual read that is perfect when only have a short time to yourself or when you just need a quick and passionate hit of romance.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28189697-curse-across-time

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/curse-across-time-by-shelley-munro

Author - https://shelleymunro.com/books/curse-across-time/

Available in ebook at:

Amazon - http://smarturl.it/CurseAmazon

USA Today bestselling author Shelley Munro lives in Auckland, the City of Sails, with her husband and a cheeky Jack Russell/mystery breed puppy.

Typical New Zealanders, Shelley and her husband left home for their big OE soon after they married (translation of New Zealand speak – big overseas experience). A twelve month long adventure lengthened to six years of roaming the world. Enduring memories include being almost sat on by a mountain gorilla in Rwanda, lazing on white sandy beaches in India, whale watching in Alaska, searching for leprechauns in Ireland, and dealing with ghosts in an English pub.

While travel is still a big attraction, these days Shelley is most likely found in front of her computer following another love – that of writing stories of romance and adventure. Other interests include watching rugby and rugby league (strictly for research purposes), and curling up with a good book.

Website - http://www.shelleymunro.com/