Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-24 04:24
The Long-Lost Secret Diary of the World's Worst Dinosaur Hunter by Tim Collins & Sarah Horne (Illustrator)

This was over all a fun read, though at times felt a little slow.

In my opinion, it felt like it was missing a lot of details and actions. I could not get a clear picture of the surroundings or characters. However the descriptions of the bones and dinosaurs was handled really well.

I liked the main character. She was spunky, spoke up for herself and knew what she wanted to be and didn't let stuffy scientist guys stop her.

This is a fictional take on what if a little girl discovered some of the most known dinosaurs. The story was cute, there was segments that told the true facts of the dinosaurs she discovered, which I found really neat.

Any dino loving kid sound read this and hopefully it turns into a series of kids doing great things.

But, let's forget about age; anyone who enjoys middle grade may like this book. It is well written and if you like diary format, that is a plus. I also want to point out that I loved the artwork by Sarah Horne.

*Provided by Netgally*

Like Reblog
review 2018-03-24 01:12
Outbreak Company: Volume 1 - Ichirou Sakaki

Before I read this light novel, I watched the anime adaptation which I enjoyed. Unfortunately, the anime didn't cover the rest of the series, and I was sad that I would be unable to get the rest of the story. When I heard that the Outbreak Company series was licensed for an official English translation, I was so happy. I finally get to read the rest of the series.

I read Volume 1 on the J-Novel Club website first and read the ebook version the second time which I just did.

The translation quality of this book is excellent and smooth. I didn't recall encountering any typos in this book. I felt like I was reading something that was originally in English rather than Japanese.

The story is an isekai story. However, unlike most other isekai stories that I read, the plot in this story has serious topics like racism and classism. The story also has silly moments like Shinichi being excited about living with a maid and seeing how the Eldant citizens react to otaku culture. But most of the story is surprisingly serious despite the cute illustration on the cover.

The illustrations are beautifully drawn, and the drawings of each of the characters are unique.

I can't wait to read the next volume.

show activity (+)
review 2018-03-23 20:07
ARC Review: Fox And Birch by Sam Burns
Fox And Birch - Sam Burns

The third installment of the first trilogy of trilogies in the paranormal Rowan Harbor series focuses on Fletcher Lane, one of the town's deputies, who featured to some extent in the first two books (more so in book 2, actually). He's friends with Devon, works with Wade, and was heavily involved in the events of book 2.

The story picks up right after the second book ends. Fletcher, instrumental in getting rid of the bad vampire, is now sort of possessed by the spirit that lived inside the magic book Isla has been hiding from Hector MacKenzie. Obviously, having someone whisper to you in Gothic all the time isn't fun.

Additionally, Fletcher has had a traumatic experience when he was younger, one that cost him his mother and has left both him and his father scarred.

Somewhat timid and lacking a healthy dose of self-confidence, Fletcher finds it rather difficult to make friends, always wondering if he's a bother. In that aspect, his shyness is indicative of his shifted form as a fox. Socially a bit awkward, Fletcher seems never sure of what to say.

I really loved how the author fleshed out the character, made him real and oh so likable, with all his awkward dorkiness.

Fletcher is a really nice guy, kind and unassuming, and the people of Rowan Harbor look out for him and his dad.

We are introduced to the bounty hunters, Frank, Bob, and Conner, who roll into town looking for the bad vamp. Or so they say. Conner is younger than the other two, and also much kinder. He takes a liking to Fletcher, which slowly develops into a romance.

We get to visit with Wade and Devon from the first book, who are still together, as well as Isla and Oak, and other familiar supporting characters from the preceding books.

As the story unfolds, we watch Fletcher struggle to control his own magic as well as the uninvited magic he now carries, trying to focus and center himself so the uninvited guest doesn't wipe out who Fletcher is. We get to watch Fletcher come into his own, with a little help, and finding his way to become who he was meant to be.

I would have liked to have learned a bit more about Conner. We get a bit of his background story, but other than being a likable guy, I really didn't get a good feel for him. Perhaps that will come out in future books. He's nice, don't get me wrong, and I think he really does fall for Fletcher, and of course that thing he does toward the end basically cemented for me that he needs to be in Rowan Harbor long term, but I would like to see more of him and learn what really makes him tick.

As with the two previous books, we get a strong HFN, as their story is not done. I'm good with that and can't wait to read what the author still has in store for them all.

These book cannot be read as standalones and must be read in order, as each builds on the previous one and continues the overall plot. I'm good with that too.

** I received a free copy of this book from Signal Boost Promotions as part of this review tour. A positive review was not promised in return.

Like Reblog
review 2018-03-23 19:51
Archie Vs. Predator
Archie vs Predator - Fernando Ruiz,Alex de Campi

Before I read this comic, I wondered if it was possible to mix something wholesome like the Archie comics with the not so wholesome Predator series. After I finished reading, the answer was that it was possible to combine those two things.

What made this crossover work was that it wasn't taken seriously. Even with all the killing going on, there was time for some characters to make some funny jokes or comments. Between the four chapters, there was some funny artwork with the Predator and the Riverdale gang. My favorite artwork was the one with the Predator drinking milkshakes.

The story is simple and straightforward. The characters are simple as well. I didn't see these things as a negative because there are times where anyone wants their mind to take a break from reading challenging works. I just got out from school for spring break and this kind of popcorn read is what I needed.

Anyone looking for something to make them think about complicated and complex matters and issues should try reading a different book. But for anyone who is in a mood for some light reading and enjoys mindless entertainment should try checking this out.

show activity (+)
review 2018-03-23 19:06
Rebel of the Sands - Alwyn Hamilton

“For a second it looked like a mortal horse. The next it was pure sand. Shifting from bright gold to violent red, fire and sun in a windswept desert.”