Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: received-to-review
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-12-29 23:07
Review: Sculpting Amanda by Julie Sanford
Sculpting Amanda: nobody is born a victim , but they can be made one. - Julie Lynn Sanford

Self-published  (29th January 2017)

ISBN: 978-1520487168

Source:  author provided review copy

Rating: 3*

Meet Amanda Wake, starting her new job. Her only requirement is to earn enough money to buy a coveted mobile phone. Seventeen and fresh from school, she dreams of a Mills and Boon love story developing between her and her new boss. Meet Mathew Mason, A successful businessman, and Amanda’s new employer. What Amanda doesn’t know is that Mathew has aspirations too. He has an unhealthy and immoral obsession with Amanda. The job was created so that he could have better access to her. Set over the course of sixteen years we follow their journey. Amanda’s life is plagued with many unfortunate twists and turns unbeknownst to her all due to Mathew’s intervention. A dark and disturbing suspense thriller that will have the reader screaming out for a book buddy just so they can discuss the plot. Not for the faint hearted, read Sculpting Amanda if you dare.

The description of this book is accurate.  It's the story of Matthew's complete obsession with Amanda, to the point that he creates a job for her, organises certain things to happen and orchestrates turns of events that are at times more than a little far-fetched...but it is a work of fiction after all, so anything can happen!

There are several sexual scenes in the book that make for uncomfortable reading. I obviously cannot say why without giving any of the plot away, but I will say that I consider this book unsuitable for younger readers under the age of 14. These scenes are crucial to the story, however.

At the beginning of the book, Amanda is a very naïve seventeen year old but Matthew is more mysterious. We aren't given any real sense of background on either main character, but I don't feel it's really needed here as we learn all we need to during the sixteen years over which the book is set.

One main point I'd like to pick up on is the poor attention to detail throughout this book. The whole book, particularly the ending, feels very rushed, as though it's not been read through after being written. The spelling, grammar and punctuation is appalling. I realise not everyone can afford to have their work professionally proofread and edited, but all computers have a spellchecker! If this had been addressed, the book would feel so much more polished. It would also be easier to read, and the reviews would be so much better.

Having said that, there are some really good points here. The story grabbed my attention, I wondered what was going to happen next, and I didn't quite foresee that ending...not entirely! I'd be interested to read the author's next book at some point, and I'll definitely remember Sculpting Amanda!

Special thanks to Julie Sanford for providing an advanced review copy.  This is my honest review.

show activity (+)
text 2014-09-06 21:03
Reading progress update: I've read 50 out of 352 pages.
The Good Girl - Mary Kubica

So I've pretty much been stuck on this book for what seems like weeks now, which it probably has been. I just can't get into it, especially since each chapter is told from a different characters p.o.v & it's either before or after Mia was found. I'm just not liking the writing style, which is extremely difficult for me to read. I don't think I'll be finishing this book anytime soon. Maybe in the future?

text 2014-08-10 02:48
Reading progress update: I've read 50 out of 352 pages.
The Good Girl - Mary Kubica

So I've heard from a few people that this book is really good, comparable to Gone Girl. It does seem interesting and well written. My only problem? Is that it's a mystery/crime novel, which is definitively not my forte. I'm more of a distopian, paranormal, fantasy kind of girl. So it's unfortunately taking me forever to read this one. Since I did receive it for review, I'm trying my best to read it every night, but with the amount of other books I want to read it's just so hard. Not to mention the fact that I've been in a reading slump lately! :(

text 2014-08-02 02:01
Reading progress update: I've read 39 out of 352 pages.
The Good Girl - Mary Kubica

Enjoying this one so far. My only complaint is the chapters being done in before and after from different point of views, non which involve Mia, the girl who's the main character. Otherwise, it's good. Just wish it would pick up the pace.

Glad I received this one for review. Also love the cover but wish the girl looked older, since the book is about a young woman.

text 2014-03-11 19:26
The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld

This captivating debut has now been published. See my review (among others!) here http://www.lovereading.co.uk/book/10401/The-Enchanted-by-Rene-Denfeld.html