logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-for-pub
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-18 15:38
Review: Chronicles of Steele- Raven by Pauline Creeden

Human life has value.
The poor living in the gutter are as valuable as the rich living in a manor.
The scoundrel is no less valuable than the saint.
Because of this, every life a reaper takes must be redeemed.

Raven has lived by this first tenet since she was trained by her father to become a reaper. But since his death, she’s been spending years redeeming the lives she’s taken. By her count, she’s even and it’s time for that life to end. If she settles down and becomes a wife, she might just feel human again. But on the way to the life she thinks she wants, the baron of New Haven asks her to complete a task which she cannot ignore… Just when Raven decides to give up on her life as an assassin, she’s pulled right back in.

***Disclosure: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

We're introduced to Raven as she's saving the duke's youngest son from drowning, only to be arrested once her identity is revealed. Seems Reapers have been outlawed for about a half a generation, but the duke's eldest son has need of her services. She's to protect his nine year old younger brother, who may or may not be possessed by a demon, from their father who wants the boy dead. Hot on the trail of Raven and young Darius are the very guards who arrested her after rescuing the boy, led by Captain Jack Grant- who's grudging respect for Raven's skills and his own innate decency clash with his duty to the duke. Along the way they'll both discover more layers to their respective missions than they imagined and things aren't always what they seem.

Reapers aren't magical warriors- just highly trained and disciplined ones usually able to find something within any situation to turn to an advantage. In order to avoid descending into sociopathy they've adopted a mantra that all life is sacred and whenever they take one they must then save another, redeeming themselves by striking a balance- much like the axiom 'the life you save will be your own'. I also liked how the author weaved bits of personality and characterization into things- such as a reaper lamenting the lack of discipline in this new generation of wannabes who abandon the training once it becomes difficult. Art imitating Life.

Raven's past is a bit mysterious, of course, and remained so at the end of the book. Bits and pieces of her history were doled out during the story, revealing her character and her motivations. Jack Grant wasn't as developed as he could've been and the romance seemed forced as suddenly they're in love with each other. Whatever happened to liking someone/being interested and just wanting to see where it goes?

There's plenty of action and angst to feed your head, but the world needs fleshing out in order to get a clearer grasp of what's going on. The main problem I had was the sudden switches of POV. One moment Raven's upstairs about to confront a witch, next sentence Jack's charging up the steps and finding Raven laid out due to the witch's magic. Things like this kept happening so much I had to re-read several passages a couple times to make sure I had things straight before continuing.

The extras included are an excerpt about young Darius- whom will soon receive his own story- some pointers about writing from the author and the author's thoughts on what Steampunk is and why it should appeal to female readers.

This is a fast, fun read with a couple of twists to it. Pauline Creeden's crafted a nifty tale that teases you with future potential but needs fleshing out and more backstory. Enjoy.

review 2018-10-18 15:30
#53 - The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken

I FINALLY decided to read this book. Honestly it had been on my TBR for ages and with the movie coming out I decided to see if it was worth the hype. And IT IS (I immediately ordered the following book).

This is a post-apocalyptic book where teenagers are suffering from a kind of virus that killed most of them and the one surviving end up with strange powers. That is why there are locked in “rehabilitation camps”. Honestly, those are my favourite kind of books; I could never grow tired of this. We have seen thousands upon thousands of stories involving diseases and teenagers but I just LOVE that. Anyway, Ruby is among the one surviving and she is sent to Thurmond of which she will escape and run for her life.

Ruby is my favourite type of character. She is a normal teenager; she has her fears and she is no superhero. But she is also a real badass when faced with danger, I thought she was weak at the beginning but the more danger she faces, the angrier she gets and she is such a strong character. I loved everything about her.

The other characters were interesting as well, especially Zu who is one of my favourites. I hope we will get more of her in the coming books, but I am not so sure about it.

The relationships between those teenagers were interesting and particularly well developed. Even in their condition, they still are teenagers and so they behave like ones.

The middle of the book was a bit slower and I think it could have been a little bit shorter but honestely, it is just to find a flaw in the book!

I can’t wait to discover the rest of the series (and watch the movie as well!).

text 2018-10-18 13:01
RELEASE BLITZ ★ The Player Gets Coached

Title: The Player Gets Coached
(Bachelor, #2)
Author: Janet Nissenson
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: October 16, 2018
Cover Designer: Najla Qamber
Designs Hosted by: Buoni Amici Press, LLC.

The Manwhore Versus The Maneater

Finn McManus thrives on his reputation as a player’s player – a term that has nothing to do with his years as a professional athlete. A notorious flirt and ladies man, the handsome, charming retired football player rarely dates a woman more than a few times, and shies away from relationships like they were a contagious disease. And despite his parents’ decades long, blissfully happy marriage, Finn just can’t see himself ever being in the same situation.

Delilah Ferris has acquired her own reputation over the years as something of a maneater. She makes no bones about the fact that she expects to call the shots in the relationship, and that she’ll never be any man’s fool. And when she meets her new neighbor Finn for the first time, she automatically puts him in the same category as her handsome, playboy father – the same father who not only broke her heart too many times to count but broke their family as well. Delilah has always vowed to steer clear of heartbreakers like Finn McManus, unwilling to ever fall victim to his charms.

But when the gorgeous, tempting Delilah quickly becomes the only woman Finn has eyes for, he pulls out all the stops to convince her to go out with him. And if Delilah weakens her resolve and agrees, will she regret her decision sooner than later? Or will the coach finally manage to whip this player into shape?

The Player Gets Coached (Bachelor #2)The Player Gets Coached by Janet Nissenson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is book #2 in the Bachelor series. This can be read as a standalone novel. For reader understanding and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this series in order.

Finn is disturbed that he is the only one who has not traditionally grown up. He finds a woman he is interested in, and she is a maneater of the skilled kind. How does he show her he can be her match?

Delilah is not impressed by first sighting of Finn. She is not wanting to date a manwhore who can never make up his mind what he wants in a woman. They clash and it is like the player must learn to be played.

This story was pretty slow. The beginning has a lot of back story and the characters are rich and colorful. I enjoyed the banter and the high heat factor. Was a great addition to the series, and a good read.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

Janet is a lifelong resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, and currently resides on the northern California coast with her husband Steve and Golden Retriever Max. She worked for more than two decades in the financial services industry before turning her focus to producing running events. She is a former long-distance runner, current avid yoga practitioner, is addicted to Pinterest, likes to travel and read. She has been writing for more than three decades but Serendipity was her first official release in December 2013. There are a total of six full-length books planned in the Inevitable series, along with the upcoming “spin-off” Splendor trilogy.

review 2018-10-18 11:00
Release Week Review! Final Day (Wired and Dangerous #2.5) Megan Erickson!

USA Today bestselling author Megan Erickson doubles the suspense when two intense and sexy heroes are drawn together in her thrilling Wired & Dangerous series.

When his boyfriend is murdered, Erick Lee makes it his life's mission to hunt down the killer. The question is, how far is he willing to go to catch him?

Erick has been asked to team up by a dangerously captivating hitman who has reasons of his own to want this man dead. But can he trust another killer? And do two wrongs ever make a right?

Everett "Tarr" Hawk isn't just some lethal hitman. He has his own code of honor. With Erick and Tarr facing a common enemy, it's only by combining forces that they'll survive. But Tarr's code doesn't include a fierce attraction for someone he's sworn to defend with his life. Because in Tarr's world, every night presents a new danger . . . and listening to his own heart could get them both killed.

Final Day is an exhilarating adventure of a read with an explosive romance. Erick and Tarr are two strong, sexy characters that have a magnetic pull and sizzling chemistry that draws them together while also drawing readers into their story. The romance between these is one rocky battlefield as they fight their attraction for various reasons which keeps the emotions rolling and the relationship stays tense with lots of snarky and cutting dialogue, but the attraction won’t be denied which leads to some scorching hot passion that singes readers with its heat.

The story starts off with a climatic events that gets the adrenaline pumping and the fast paced and smooth flowing plot continues to escalate in thrills and excitement keeping readers on the edge of their seat. The Wired and Dangerous crew keeps getting more intense and exciting and Final Day can be read as a standalone and definitely lives up to its predecessors so readers won’t want to miss any of this explosive and edgy world.

Add to your shelves at -

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38508759-final-day

1 Zero Hour
2 Darkest Night &
2.5 Final Day

Final Day is available in ebook at -

Forever - https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/megan-erickson/final-day/9781538743867/

A-US - https://amzn.to/2yFE9VP

A-UK - http://amzn.eu/d/06uDvMc

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/final-day-megan-erickson/1128997691?ean=9781538743867

iBooks - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/final-day/id1344713301?mt=11

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/final-day

Megan Erickson is a USA Today bestseller and former journalist who switched to fiction when she decided she liked writing her own endings better.

She lives in Pennsylvania with her very own romance hero and two kids. Although rather fun-sized, she’s been told she has a full-sized personality. When Megan isn’t writing, she’s either lounging with her two cats named after John Hughes characters or… thinking about writing.

She is represented by Marisa Corvisiero of Corvisiero Literary Agency.

Website - http://meganerickson.org/

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6879435.Megan_Erickson

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/megan-erickson

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/authormeganerickson

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Megan-Erickson/e/B00AWD8MHS/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1464206128&sr=8-2-ent

Pintrest - http://www.pinterest.com/mrsmeggiejo/

InstaGram - http://www.instagram.com/meggiejoknows/

Twitter - https://twitter.com/MeganErickson_

review 2018-10-18 05:41
Play me
The Player Gets Coached (Bachelor #2) - Janet Nissenson

This is book #2 in the Bachelor series.  This can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this series in order.

Finn is disturbed that he is the only one who has not traditionally grown up.  He finds a woman he is interested in, and she is a maneater of the skilled kind.  How does he show her he can be her match?

Delilah is not impressed by first sighting of Finn.  She is not wanting to date a manwhore who can never make up his mind what he wants in a woman.  They clash and it is like the player must learn to be played.

This story was pretty slow.  The beginning has a lot of back story and the characters are rich and colorful.  I enjoyed the banter and the high heat factor.  Was a great addition to the series, and a good read.  I give this a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.