logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-for-pub
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-07 14:00
Review & Giveaway: Shadow Run by Adrianne Strickland & Michael Miller

SHADOW RUN
by Adrianne Strickland & Michael Miller
Hardcover, 400 pages
Expected publication: March 21st 2017
by Delacorte Press

"Firefly" meets DUNE in this action-packed sci-fi adventure about a close-knit, found family of a crew navigating a galaxy of political intrigue and resource-driven power games.

Nev has just joined the crew of the starship Kaitan Heritage as the cargo loader. His captain, Qole, is the youngest-ever person to command her own ship, but she brooks no argument from her crew of orphans, fugitives, and con men. Nev can’t resist her, even if her ship is an antique.

As for Nev, he’s a prince, in hiding on the ship. He believes Qole holds the key to changing galactic civilization, and when her cooperation proves difficult to obtain, Nev resolves to get her to his home planet by any means necessary.

But before they know it, a rival royal family is after Qole too, and they’re more interested in stealing her abilities than in keeping her alive.

Nev’s mission to manipulate Qole becomes one to save her, and to survive, she’ll have to trust her would-be kidnapper. He may be royalty, but Qole is discovering a deep reservoir of power—and stars have mercy on whoever tries to hurt her ship or her crew.

YES! Yes to all of it! Add a little romance and hot boys, this is the perfect young adult sci-fi novel. I loved every word.

I don't have one negative comment to make about this book!!! Lots and lots of action! I think I have not one, but THREE new book boyfriends. Phew! The men in this book are not to be messed with. Loved it!

I also loved how well the authors described every scene and every gadget used. It was so easy to picture everything in my head. Every fight scene was so vivid in my head I found myself screaming out loud Yes! Yes! Beat his ass! It was literally like watching a movie play out. Adrianne and Micheal's writing blend so well together that I had no idea the book was written by two authors until I was done with it and decided I wanted to look up the author. I jumped into this one based on the synopsis and cover. I have no clue how I missed that it was written by two authors. Sometimes this can be a good thing, or bad thing. I felt that the writing was perfect! Every character has their own voice and sticks out from the rest.

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE! I have the hardcover on pre-order, so I decided to giveaway my ARC copy today in celebration of the upcoming release. Trust me, you do not want to miss out on this one.

HUGE 5 STARS!

ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!

Enter to win an ARC copy of SHADOW RUN!

Head on over to www.GoodChoiceReading.com to enter!

review 2015-09-16 23:19
Review: Velvet Undercover by Teri Brown
VELVET UNDERCOVER
by Teri Brown
Hardcover, 336 pages
Expected publication: October 20th 2015
by Balzer + Bray

Perfect for fans of Jennifer Donnelly and Libba Bray comes this page-turning historical spy thriller from Teri Brown, author of the Born of Illusion series.

Samantha Donaldson's family has always done its duty for the British Crown. In the midst of World War I, seventeen-year-old Sam follows in their footsteps, serving her country from the homefront as a messenger for the intelligence organization MI5. After her father disappears on a diplomatic mission, she continues their studies of languages, mathematics, and complex puzzles, hoping to make him proud.

When Sam is asked to join the famed women's spy group La Dame Blanche, she's torn—while this could be an unbelievable adventure, how can she abandon her mother, who has already lost a husband? But when her handlers reveal shocking news, Sam realizes she can't refuse the exciting and dangerous opportunity.

Her acceptance leads her straight into the heart of enemy territory on a mission to extract the most valuable British spy embedded in Germany, known only as Velvet. Deep undercover in the court of Kaiser Wilhelm II, Sam must navigate the labyrinthine palace and its many glamorous—and secretive—residents to complete her assignment. To make matters worse she must fight a forbidden attraction to the enemy—a dangerously handsome German guard. In a place where personal politics are treacherously entangled in wartime policy, can Sam find Velvet before it's too late . . . for them both?

A thrilling story of one girl's journey into a deadly world of spy craft and betrayal—with unforgettable consequences.

VELVET UNDERCOVER was an okay read for me. The beginning was interesting, middle was eh, and ending was complete.

Sam is given the opportunity to do something great. At least that is what she is told. She decides to spy for La Dame Blanche not only for information on her missing father, but also because she is intrigued. She wants the adventure. What she doesn't realize is just how dangerous her mission really is. Her handler keeps things from her, and her trainer doesn't believes in her. She finds herself in a weird situation. She wants to prove herself, but not sure how to do it without coming off as weak, or a naive teen. I personally thought Sam was a strong character. Despite her fears, and all the worry, she refused to show her trainer or handler how scared she truly was. She jumped into things with a clear head, and was alert at all times. I loved that she wasn't a whiny character who constantly threw herself into danger when it wasn't necessary. Teri Brown would have completely lost me had that been the case.

The first quarter of the book had my full attention. The second quarter I have to admit, I wanted a little more. I sort of got bored and was waiting for something great to happen. Despite feeling this way, I still kept reading because I did like Sam and the predicament she was put in. The third quarter got a little interesting. Sam arrives at the palace, meets a swoon worthy guard, and makes a few friends. I was at the edge of my seat wondering if she would be caught, or if she would ever find Velvet?

I hate to say it, but the beginning and the last couple of chapters is where all the action is. Teri Brown gives you just enough in the middle to want to continue reading, but if you're expecting non-stop action and suspense, you won't find it in VELVET UNDERCOVER. I enjoyed it enough to finish the whole story, but I felt like something was missing. It just needed a little bit more. Of what? I am not sure. However, I did like the ending and the way everything wrapped up. It closes with the possibility of a sequel. I honestly would like to read a sequel. VELVET UNDERCOVER was more like an introduction to Sam and the whole spy world if you ask me. I would like to see Sam in a little more action and working closely with Velvet. :)

I rate VELVET UNDERCOVER 3.5 Stars!

AVAILABLE ON...

review 2015-09-16 23:17
Review: Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman
VENGEANCE ROAD
by Erin Bowman
Hardcover, 336 pages
Expected publication: September 1st 2015
by HMH Books for Young Readers

When Kate Thompson’s father is killed by the notorious Rose Riders for a mysterious journal that reveals the secret location of a gold mine, the eighteen-year-old disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. What she finds are devious strangers, dust storms, and a pair of brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, she gets closer to the truth about herself and must decide if there's room for love in a heart so full of hate.

In the spirit of True Grit, the cutthroat days of the Wild West come to life for a new generation.

<!--more-->

I have to be honest, this is my first time reading a western (Is that even what it’s called? LOL!). I've never had any real interest in reading a western novel, let alone a young adult one. They are definitely not my first pick. However, after reading VENGEANCE ROAD by Erin Bowman, I am now going to keep an open mind when it comes to western books.

Vengeance Road was a breath of fresh air. It was different in every way possible and I loved every minute of it. It had everything I like in a young adult novel. A slow romance filled with so much angst and emotions, tons of action scenes, fearless characters, death, some gory moments, and lots more.

After reading chapter one I knew this was the book for me. There wasn’t any doubt that I was going to love it. Kate, your main female character, was so kick-ass! She was determined to get her revenge and make those who hurt her pay. Kate had no hesitations when it came to taking a life, or making someone suffer. You want a strong heroine who isn’t afraid to take charge, then definitely pick this baby up. Kate is definitely not a damsel in distress. She did everything herself and not once did she want, or feel she needed help.

The story is non-stop from the very beginning, and will keep you entertained till the very end. It had a complete ending, but I sure hope Erin Bowman plans on writing a sequel. I would love to learn how Kate and her new friends are doing after all they’ve been through.

VENGEANCE ROAD IS A MUST-READ!

4.5 Stars!

by Jennifer Jenkins
Paperback, 336 pages
Expected publication: November 2015
by Month9Books

Four clans have been at war for centuries: the Kodiak, the Raven, the Wolf and the Ram. Through brutal war tactics, the Ram have dominated the region, inflicting death and destruction on their neighbors.

Seventeen-year-old Zo is a Wolf and a Healer who volunteers to infiltrate the Ram as a spy on behalf of the allied clans. She offers herself as a Ram slave, joining the people who are called the “nameless.” Hers is a suicide mission – Zo’s despair after losing her parents in a Ram raid has left her seeking both revenge and an end to her own misery. But after her younger sister follows her into Rams Gate, Zo must find a way to survive her dangerous mission and keep her sister safe.

What she doesn’t expect to find is the friendship of a young Ram whose life she saves, the confusing feelings she develops for a Ram soldier, and an underground nameless insurrection. Zo learns that revenge, loyalty and love are more complicated than she ever imagined in the first installment of this two-book series.

<!--more-->
I have so much to say about this book that I have no clue where to begin!

To say that I love this book is an understatement. It completely blew me away! I don’t know what I was expecting when I dived into this one, but it definitely was not what I got. It was beyond amazing!

There isn’t one dull moment in NAMELESS. There is always something happening that will keep you at the edge of your seat wanting to scream, jump… something! I literally paced while reading because I was so excited, but yet so nervous all at the same time. With each turning page, I felt like I was watching a movie, only in my head. The writing was great, the descriptions were on point, and the characters… oh man, the characters!!! There isn’t one negative thing I can say about ANY of them. Every single one of them was strong and fearless, and also very well written. They were all likable. No, LOVEABLE! Even the bad ones that you wished death upon. Jenkins has taken world building to a whole new level. It just all flowed together so perfectly, and all felt real.

Don't get me started on the romance! No, it isn't fluffy. And no, it's not all over the book. But the way it comes to light was perfect! It was nice and slow. Jenkins knew when to give a little, and then give a lot! Zo falls in love with the enemy, so imagine all the feels that comes with this. The angst, the guilt... argh, I am falling in love all over again!

I am so happy that I took a chance on it. NAMELESS is one book that you can re-read over and over again and it will still feel fresh! I cannot wait for the world to read it and fall under the NAMELESS spell. Because that’s what I feel like I am under, a spell that has me trapped in Zo's world and won’t let me out! I don’t want out!

Faneffingtastic!

If I could, 10 STARS!

YOU MUST BUY!
AMAZON

Source: www.goodchoicereading.com/2015/07/review-nameless-by-jennifer-jenkins.html
review 2015-07-16 15:52
Review: The Bourbon Kings by J.R. Ward
The Bourbon Kings
by J.R. Ward
Hardcover, 420 pages
Expected publication: July 28th 2015
by NAL

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Black Dagger Brotherhood delivers the first novel in an enthralling new series set amid the shifting dynamics of a Southern family defined by wealth and privilege—and compromised by secrets, deceit, and scandal....

For generations, the Bradford family has worn the mantle of kings of the bourbon capital of the world. Their sustained wealth has afforded them prestige and privilege—as well as a hard-won division of class on their sprawling estate, Easterly. Upstairs, a dynasty that by all appearances plays by the rules of good fortune and good taste. Downstairs, the staff who work tirelessly to maintain the impeccable Bradford facade. And never the twain shall meet.

For Lizzie King, Easterly’s head gardener, crossing that divide nearly ruined her life. Falling in love with Tulane, the prodigal son of the bourbon dynasty, was nothing that she intended or wanted—and their bitter breakup only served to prove her instincts were right. Now, after two years of staying away, Tulane is finally coming home again, and he is bringing the past with him. No one will be left unmarked: not Tulane’s beautiful and ruthless wife; not his older brother, whose bitterness and bad blood know no bounds; and especially not the ironfisted Bradford patriarch, a man with few morals, fewer scruples, and many, many terrible secrets.

As family tensions—professional and intimately private—ignite, Easterly and all its inhabitants are thrown into the grips of an irrevocable transformation, and only the cunning will survive.

The Bourbon Kings was everything I wanted and more! It has that BDB feel, only contemporary. There is nothing paranormal in this book, but I loved it anyway! I enjoyed it from page one until the very end. DEVOURED IT!

The story is about Lane & Lizzie, but if you are familiar with J.R. Ward’s work, then you know she always has to introduce other characters and drag them through the mud before you get their complete story. I think that was what I loved most. You meet Lane, his sister Gin, and his brother Edward.  All three siblings have a story. I was completely lost in their mess and their drama, I could not stop reading. I really hope that Gin gets her own book because that woman has some secrets that kill! I am dying to know how it will all play out.

Ward fans, trust when I say you WILL NOT be disappointed with The Bourbon Kings!

Funny moment:
“Sutton, as always, a pleasure.” He glanced at his sire. “Father, fuck you.”

I don’t know why, but I laughed so hard at this part! A DEFINITE MUST-READ!

5 HUGE stars!