logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2-star-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-07-01 21:27
Lost in a Fantasy – Blood and Ashes by Katie Zaber @Zaberbooks
Ashes and Blood (Dalya #1) - Katie Zaber

I shared Ashes and Blood by Katie Zaber for a tour, but I didn’t read and review it until the author asked me if I would like a copy. Of course, I said yes and I am so glad I did.

I have a thing for trees and love the cover. How about you?

Ashes and Blood

MY REVIEW

I was first drawn to Ashes and Blood by Katie Zaber when I saw the cover. I love trees, whether real or fantasy.

What would you do if you are ambling along a familiar trail, and all of a sudden, you find a tree that was never there before? I think I would run, but before they can decide to do the same, things begin to change with every step they take and they are whisked away, into another world.

Sarah, Dana, Ciara and Megan are in for the time of their lives and I am along for the ride. Katie Zaber did a fantastic job creating a world filled with wonder and magic. I quickly became immersed in her world, created in vivid detail with characters I immediately became involved with.

Of course, we have to have one who is in the spotlight and that will be Megan, though all peripheral characters have very important parts to play to make this book a whole. Each has their own personalities and talents that will come in handy. They are tight and their ‘family’ grows as the adventure moves along.

Action and adventure abound and they find their destiny in a place they never could have imagined. Of course, we have to have a bad guy, and he hits very close to home, but there is someone involved who never shows their face. Are they there to save her, or want her for themselves. AND why do they want her? I am curious about who this ‘person’ is and maybe I will find out in the next book, which I hope Katie is rapidly writing.

As I searched around, Ashes and Blood is the only book I have seen by Katie Zaber. If this is her debut novel, she did a bang up job and I can only imagine what is to come. I plan on being along for the ride.

If you are looking for a story to get lost in and escape the real world for a while, I highly recommend Ashes and Blood by Katie Zaber.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Ashes and Blood by Katie Zaber.

Source: www.fundinmental.com/blood-and-ashes-katie-zaber
review 2020-06-29 19:42
Spookie Town – All Things Slip Away by Kathryn Meyer Griffith @KathrynG64
All Things Slip Away - Kathryn Meyer Griffith

Kathryn Meyer Griffith is a prolific writer and her Spookie Town Murder Mystery series has been a big hit for her. She is currently working on Book 7. Woo Hoo. Congratulations Kathryn.

I love the fabulous cover.

All Things Slip Away (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #2)

Amazon / Audiobook / Goodreads

MY REVIEW

The Prologue for All Things Slip Away filled me in on the highlights of the Spookie Town Murder Mystery Series Book I, Scaps of Paper, and thank goodness. It has been a while since I read it, so I needed a refresher. You could begin reading here, but I am loving this series so much, I would highly recommend beginning at the beginning.

NOW…it’s ten years later and Frank Lester, a Chicago Homicide detective that moved to Spooky town, has found the serial killer he thought he had taken out is back, and he is on the hunt…for revenge.

I read a lot of Young Adult novels, so it is refreshing to be meeting some older characters that carry baggage and memories, and lust does not override their emotions. The romance is a slow burn, but smolders throughout the pages.

There is so much more to the killer than meets the eye. He has his own issues and problems that he cannot overcome. He is driven to seek revenge. The villain is one of those bad guys that can evoke a moment of sympathy for him.

Abigail is Frank’s love interest, but he is not alone in his desire to date her.The sheriff has his eye on her too. Myrtle is a neighbor and she is quite the character. She gave me some laughs and I love some humor with my murder. My heart went out to Laura and Nick, and the rest of their family, two children whose mother is ill and they struggle to even feed themselves. The two kids broke my heart, yet put a smile on my face.

The suspense is ramping up as the pacing takes me to the next event and I am eager, yet apprehensive about HIS and Frank’s next meeting.

Kathryn Meyer Griffith’s has an ability to draw me into the story so deep that I feel like I am walking in Abigail’s shoes, being stalked, feeling like someone is following me, watching me, having me looking over my shoulder, ‘hiding out’, keeping low.

I love that Kathryn can stretch the story, all the while keeping me on edge. It has been months since HE has been seen…life goes on…but, we all know it isn’t over. The tension builds as I wait, wait for the explosion that is about to come.

Well, I guess you can tell how much I loved All Things Slip Away. The story is fabulous and kept me totally engrossed, the characters came to life on the pages through Kathryn’s words and I fell in love with them. The peripheral characters became just as important to me as the main ones. The mystery, yeah, we know who he is, sorta but that does not take away anything from the story.

I highly recommend any of her work. Kathryn has never disappointed me.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of All Things Slip Away by Kathryn Meyer Griffith.

MY KATHRYN MEYER GRIFFITH REVIEWS

• Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
Source: www.fundinmental.com/all-things-slip-away-kathryn-meyer-griffith
review 2020-06-29 18:35
Lizzie Borden: Zombie Hunter by C A Verstraete @caverstraete
Lizzie Borden, Zombie Hunter - C.A. Verstraete

I have had my eye on the Lizzie Borden: Zombie Hunter series for some time now and was sooooo happy when she asked me if I wanted to review the books. YAY!

Are you ready? Let’s start by checking out this fabulous cover by Jaun Villar Pardon.

MY REVIEW

I have been following C A Verstraete for a little while now, and was ecstatic when she asked if I wanted to review Lizzie Borden: Zombie Hunter and my reply was a resounding…YES.

Want to know what really happened in the Borden household on that fateful night? It’s not what you’re thinking and I love what the author has done with this familiar story of murder and betrayal. Sooooo, be prepared for a savage tale of survival.

Lizzie Borden: Zombie Hunter by C A Verstraete was a lot of what I expected, but the author has treated me to some twists and turns, suspense and savage do or die fighting that makes this an action packed story that kept me flipping the pages.

I loved watching Lizzie grow and change throughout the story, becoming the zombie hunter she knew she could be. The battles to survive are savage, brutal, with blood and heads flying along with the bullets.

I wondered how Christine would twist the story, and a conspiracy fits very nicely.

I lovhttp://www.craftylife.net/e the ending and want to see what happens in the next sword slashing, gun blazing zombie killer story.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Lizzie Borden: Zombie Hunter by C A Verstraete.

Source: www.fundinmental.com/lizzie-borden-c-a-verstraete
review 2020-06-09 16:16
Quarrelsome Quartz by Mildred Abbott @MAcozymystery @pumpupyourbook
Quarrelsome Quartz - Mildred Abbott

Quarrelsome Quartz by Mildred Abbott is the last book of the stack for these cozy Corgi mysteries and I have enjoyed my time with Fred and Watson. Soooo…let’s get started.

Quarrelsome Quartz (Cozy Corgi Mysteries Book 7)

Amazon / Audiobook / Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Quarrelsome Quartz by Mildred Abbot is the last book in my stack of cozy Corgi mysteries. I have enjoyed my time solving mysteries with Fred and Watson.

The Cozy Corgi Bookshop and Bakery is doing great and Fred’s twin sisters just opened the New Age shop right beside them. A big to do is planned for the opening, but…it’s Estes Park and things rarely goes as planned.

The shop fits into the small town of Estes Park, Colorado perfectly. We have an eclectic group of people that keep life interesting.

What’s that? Watson smells a….dead body…and they are on the case.

Hunky Sheriff Branson is still pining after Fred, though she has made it clear they are only friends. Fred doesn’t know what she wants when it comes to romance.

Sue, one of the cops, and Fred have an antagonistic relationship, but Chief Briggs, who she’d only had one other encounter with, fills her with fear. Could it stem from her father’s murder?

I love Watson and all his Corgi cuteness and it sure was nice to visit with him and Fred, and the rest of her family, for lots of chuckles and a light mystery. Being fairly new to Estes Park, each book brings Fred closer to her family.

AND, we have a lovely quiche to prepare and you may enjoy while reading.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Quarrelsome Quartz by Mildred Abbott.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos3 Stars

MY MILDRED ABBOTT REVIEWS

Source: www.fundinmental.com/quarrelsome-quartz-mildred-abbott
review 2020-06-02 19:22
Justice Gone by N Lombardi Jr #NLombardiJr
Justice Gone - N. Lombardi Jr.

I won a signed paperback of Justice Gone by N Lombardi Jr from Freda’s Voice. Thank you Freda and Nick for the wonderful addition to my book stack.

MY REVIEW

OMG. I was raging and saddened for Joey Felton. Fucking animals…a familiar story that has shared more than one headline in our current events…a man beaten to death by the police…a scape goat. A trial where all the biases and failings of the justice system are exposed. A frightening look at out justice system…the good and the bad.

• Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I’m an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/justice-gone-beijing-memorandum-nlombardijr-jbmorris-ireadbooktours