logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2018-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-23 20:31
Review: The Fireproof Girl
The Fireproof Girl (Sophie Shields Book 1) - Loretta Lost

Wow. Prepare yourself for a roller-coaster of emotions when you pick up this fabulous book. I could not put it down and you won't want to either. The alternating timelines and narrators make a smooth transition from story to story filling you in on the sorted past of Sophie and Cole.

There is so much to unravel from their bond and love for each other that I don't think I would ever be satisfied with the amount of stories about them. The raw emotional power of the writing and the intricate descriptions of the minute details bring this story to life in a beautifully tragic way. I found myself lost in the writing and feeling the same things that Sophie experiences on her quest for answers.

I highly recommend you grab this amazing story, a hot cup of coffee, and a comfy chair that you won't want to get up from. You'll want to finish this in one sitting.

review 2018-04-17 21:53
Review: Love Hack
Love Hack - Kimberly Dean

I had some high expectations for Love Hack since I married a guy who works in IT and I've been around "geeks" my whole life. While the story was interesting, the characters fell a little flat for me. I wanted a bit more from Spencer and the instant stud scenario didn't really help anything.

Josie is a pretty typical girl navigating a high stress work situation while trying to deal with an ex boyfriend who invaded her privacy in the worst way. Her bubbly personality comes through as her attraction to the geek guy grows. Spencer was a little far fetched for me. He was described as going from a lanky geek guy to a hot stud with abs after a few weeks of working out. He discusses "studying" for sex and is apparently really great at it. There was even a comment about "leveling up" while in the act. It was all a little.... meh for me. Geeks are normal people, with normal hang ups. Inserting some slang terms and stereotypes doesn't really create a great character for me. I wanted more from him.

That being said, I did enjoy this little novel. It's fun and flirty and of course a bit suspenseful too. An interesting take on the perks of knowing IT security and how that can be advantageous when dealing with people posting things about you on the internet that may not be flattering. I would recommend this to readers who enjoy a good romance book with a bit of suspense.

review 2018-03-16 20:23
Review: The Unsound Theory
The Unsound Theory - Emilia Zeeland

As you may have noticed, it has been a very slow year for me reading wise. Who knew having an infant and toddler to take care of full time would leave me little "me" time. The chronic sleep deprivation hasn't helped things either, but the plus side is that the few books I have managed to get to this year have been amazing. This one is no exception.

In true YA fashion, Yalena has a cryptic past that leads her on a journey to find both her origins and herself. This being the first book in the series, there is a lot of informative information and character introductions but it's a great lead in to what is sure to be a fantastic series. Yalena is an interesting character who surprised me a bit as she found her own voice in a sea of overachievers.

I really enjoyed the world building elements that Zeeland includes. Brief history lessons that you attend with Yalena and her classmates make this space world more and more interesting. Of course, what's a good novel without some romantic interests and competitive drama to keep things interesting. STAR Academy is a college level specialty school by invitation only. It is an elite group of students expected to become the next best thing in their respective fields, no pressure there.

I highly recommend this book to science fiction fans, especially those who enjoy young adult as well. Space is the next frontier and there is so much to learn from the next generation of explorations. The Unsound Theory has a little bit of everything in it and I can't wait for the next installment of this series!

review 2018-01-30 15:09
Sugar Lump Review
Sugar Lump - Megan Gaudino

There is so much to unravel about this story, I really enjoyed following CC around her new town getting to know the quirky characters. At the end of the day it's a very interesting commentary on the wedding industry as a whole and the promise of "happily ever after". I was anticipating a much different outcome to the mystery of this town, but was happily satisfied with the closure.

CC is a fairly typical seventeen year old girl who wants to fit in and find a place that feels like home, her dad promises that Sugar Lump is that place. With his dream job baking wedding cakes in the wedding capital he assures CC that his wanderlust days are over. There is some mystery as to why, but as they settle in to their new house and CC gets to know the town, the mystery just gets more complicated. Every character in this story provides some clue as to what goes on "behind the scenes" in town, but every piece of information just adds more confusion to CC's life. You will enjoy going on this adventure with CC and her new friends as the pieces eventually fall into place.

The wedding industry is an interesting one and a whole town devoted to it is actually not all that surprising. Ask anyone who has planned a wedding in the last 15 years and they can tell you that the wedding industry is crazy with a capital C. Just the mention of a wedding at a venue or caterer and the price magically goes up. Providing the "perfect" wedding day is a full time business and a very prosperous one for many people. The promise of happily ever after is what most couples are looking for and Sugar Lump provides that. But is everything the way it seems?

I highly recommend this fun and insightful mystery of the small wedding town of Sugar Lump. You won't be disappointed.

(there's a giveaway over on my blog if you want a copy!)

review 2018-01-17 19:52
Interesting Commentary on Wedding Culture
Sugar Lump - Megan Gaudino

Full review to come later, but I really enjoyed this book! Lots of subtle commentary on the wedding culture and emphasis on the wedding (not marriage) part.