logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 2018-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-15 18:24
Book Review: The Point
The Point - John Dixon

This story started off strong. We meet Scarlett as she's blowing off her own high school graduation, much to her mother's dismay. She is a rebellious, angry, angsty teen who is struggling with her future plans. When she gets into trouble, her only option to avoid jail is to join the military program at West Point.

Of course this isn't just a regular program at West Point, Scarlett has special abilities that the military is interested in. Posthumans are in their own program where they are learning to control and focus their powers. As is standard for Scarlett, she isn't that interested in doing what she's told. I liked her rebelliousness and bending of the rules despite her angst ridden feelings.

I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book, where we learn all about Scarlett and her experience with other posthumans. My frustration with the ending is mostly that is feels so different from the rest of the story. We are quickly introduced to the enemy and there's a showdown of sorts. Very movie-esque in its hastiness.

If you're looking for an interesting science fiction story that feels a lot like X-Men or the show Heroes, I think you would enjoy this book a lot. It definitely leans more towards Young Adult genre, but not in a bad way.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my review. I was not monetarily compensated and my opinions are my own

video 2018-10-12 08:30

ICICI Mid Cap Fund is one of the top performing mid cap fund. By watching this Video, you will get familiar with the growth, performance, risk and returns, portfolio allocation of ICICI Pru Midcap Fund. Have a look.

review 2018-10-02 22:02
Book Review: Inconvenient Wife
Inconvenient Wife - Natasha Boyd

Where to begin? This was another fun, interesting romance by one of my favorite authors. While not quite living up to the laugh out loud moments of the first book in this series (Accidental Tryst) I really enjoyed the tension building of this friends to lovers story. Gwen, or Gracie, and Beau have a definitive chemistry that most couples strive to find. Friendships are great, but when they can be more it can be even better.

I know this particular trope gets kind of a bad rap in the romance reading community, but I assure you that Boyd does a fabulous job keeping the story moving without falling into a repetitive pace that leaves the reader with that "will they just get it on already" feeling. I found myself reading easily and excitedly to find out what would happen next. There's a lot to unravel and I really enjoyed the other characters contributions to the story.

Beau is an idiot. I mean that in the nicest way possible. He does all the wrong things and seems to not understand women at all. For having a best friend that is female, he hasn't learned anything useful to his endeavor. It was hard to like him at all at first, but there are a few redeeming moments that saved his character for me. Apologies are important people, that's all I'm saying.

Gwen is fierce and gentle. She seems like someone I'd like to get a beer with and swap awful dating stories. I immediately related to her and it was easy to be in her corner from the beginning. Not without faults, her stubbornness made for an interesting middle of the story. The ending is probably one of my favorite parts, all thanks to her.

If you're looking for a fun romance with a bit of angst and a happy ending, you should definitely grab this book.

review 2018-09-18 20:05
A year later...
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things - Jenny Lawson

So according to BL, I started reading this December 16, 2017. That means it took me 9 months to finish this wonderful book. Since Jenny Lawson discusses her struggle with depression and anxiety disorders at length (in the best, funniest way possible) I had to take several long breaks when my anxiety and depression were not putting me in the right head space to enjoy reading it. But really, this book is hilarious and just what I needed during these past two weeks of total chaos in my life.

I am not exaggerating when I say my "vacation" was surrounded with nothing but Murphy's law. Car accident, cancelled concerts, delayed flights, stomach flu, etc, etc. All unrelated to this review, but whatever, I'll do what I want. Furiously Happy does remind us to laugh at the absurdity of our lives and most of all, to remember that the lows eventually get better.

review 2018-08-14 22:49
Review: Miss Behave
Miss Behave - Traci Highland

If you're in the mood for a light, funny book then you should pick up Miss Behave. The inclusion of Piper's advice column from the paper really made me choke on my drink a few times from laughing so hard. Highland does a wonderful job making Piper into a totally relateable and charming character.

This wonderful gem has a little bit of everything for you, family craziness, overbearing mothers, naked runs in the forest.... you won't want to miss a moment of Piper and Mr. Brookes chaos. Each new development in the story makes you laugh out loud and question your own sanity. Piper has a sarcastic wit that I would adore in a friend, and Mr. Brookes is a great match for her personality. Their banter and flirting is absolutely hilarious and swoon worthy.

I can't wait to read the next installment of the Anderson Family series. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy fun, romantic, sarcastic lead characters.