logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 3-star-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-16 17:57
OSR – Romantic Comedy – Big Girl Panties by Stepahnie Evanovich @SEEvanovich
Big Girl Panties - Stephanie Evanovich

Big Girl Panties by Stepahnie Evanovich is a light read about a difficult subject.

If you are looking for a fun romance for summer reading, add this to your list.

Big Girl Panties

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY ONE SENTENCE REVIEW

An overweight widow and a hot, sexy personal trainer find they have much in common when they meet on a plane, become friends and learn you can’t judge a book by its cover as they humorously grow and change…and fall in love.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

I won this ARC some time ago and enjoyed reading it.

GOODREADS BLURB

Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich is a rollicking and poignant romantic comedy about a young widow who decides to get in shape…and winds up getting her groove back–and a whole lot more! Holly Brennan used food to comfort herself through her husband’s illness and death. Now she’s alone at age thirty-two. And she weighs more than she ever has. When fate throws her in the path of Logan Montgomery, personal trainer to pro athletes, and he offers to train her, Holly concludes it must be a sign. Much as she dreads the thought of working out, Holly knows she needs to put on her big girl panties and see if she can sweat out some of her grief. Soon, the easy intimacy and playful banter of their training sessions lead Logan and Holly to most intense and steamy workouts. But can Holly and Logan go the distance as a couple now that she’s met her goals–and other men are noticing?

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/osr-romantic-comedy-big-girl-panties-by-stepahnie-evanovich-seevanovich
review 2017-03-06 14:18
Review - End of the Road by L S Hawker @LSHawker_Author @partnersincr1me
End of the Road - LS Hawker End of the Road - LS Hawker

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

LS Hawker is a familiar name to me, so I was happy to grab End of the Road and check it out. Conspiracy and cyber terrorism, how can I pass it up?

Something is very wrong in Miranda Kansas, where Jade and a group of cyber nerds are hard at work creating a computer program, a form of artificial intelligence that Jade began to help her sister, who has autism.

The main characters are a group of computer geniuses who were chosen because of their computer skills and their ability to think outside the box.

It’s easy for me to know there is danger on the horizon, it’s just figuring out who are the bad guys that is the difficult part.

End of the Road is a realistic novel that lends credence to the attacks on our country today.  How safe are we? Will Artificial Intelligence ever be a reality? Could you trust it to do what you wanted it to do, or would it choose it’s own course? Just think of the drones being used today and the TV show, Person of Interest.

I love what if scenarios…what if I was in Jade’s shoes? Could I make the tough choices?

“…in every utopia ever devised, only the “right” people would have power.”

I love conspiracies and End of the Road raises more questions than it answers.

There were some places where things didn’t work for me, and I never felt an overwhelming sense of danger, but all in all I would recommend End of the Road by L S Hawker.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of End of The Road by L S Hawker.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/giveaway-end-of-the-road-by-l-s-hawker-lshawker_author-partnersincr1me
review 2017-02-07 16:58
They Killed Santa in Cowabunga Christmas @aburke59
Cowabunga Christmas - Anna Celeste Burke

Cowabunga Christmas by Anna Celeste Burke hooked me. How can I possibly resist sitting in that lounger, watching Kim and Brien hit the surf and wonder what trouble they will find as they butt into a murder mystery.

Christmas, a tropical beach locale and a dead Santa…Merry Christmas to you.

Cowabunga dudes and dudettes, “Sur’f Up.”

MY REVIEW

Cowabunga Christmas by Anna Celeste Burke has so much going for it…A gorgeous cover, hot surfer dudes and dudettes, Santa, a murder mystery and…

We begin our adventure by jumping the fence around the closed pool at this elite resort and taking a “midnight” swim. I have jumped a fence or two in my time, so I thought this was a good sign.

Daniela Ruah - Monte-Carlo Television Festival.jpg

It’s Christmas, Kim is on her honeymoon with her hot and hunky surfer dude hubby, Brien. Kim was going to learn to surf and she got her very own wettie for Christmas.

They are opposites – He is hard and fast, she is slow and soft. The picture of them, in my head, is my favorite two characters from NCIS Los Angeles, Kensi Blye, Daniela Ruah, and Marty Deeks, Eric Christian Olsen.

Eric Christian Olsen - Monte-Carlo Television Festival (cropped).jpg

Shortly after their pool jumping adventure, a body is found floating in the pool…dead. Oh no, it’s Santa.

We have a double and a triple cross and is there a treasure?

Cowabunga Christmas by Anna Celeste Burke with its easy reading and colorful characters has all the elements for a fun and humorous cozy mystery.

One mystery is solved…but, wait, there’s more on the horizon in Gnarly New Year.

“Cowabunga Christmas – it’s the most epic Christmas anyone could every have. We had one of the most awesome mornings surfing.” From Brien.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  3 Stars

• To see all my Giveaways, go HERE.
review 2017-02-05 07:11
Aurealis #78
Aurealis #78 - Michael Pryor,J Michael Melican,David Coleman

This edition of Aurealis sees the neo-noir 'Enfolded', from J Michael Melican and the punchy 'Discarded Pieces' from David Coleman making a splash.

I enjoyed both stories, but Enfolded was something extremely unique. I would have liked to learn more about the characters past, which was hinted at, and know what the future held for him. A truly interesting piece that outshone the other piece easily.

Having said that, though, both pieces are well written and formed part of a nice edition, including some advise for self-publishing and promotion as well as a handful of reviews on books.

I really liked the cover art of this edition.

review 2017-01-31 09:21
The 'horror' was in very small quantities
Scared: Ten Tales of Horror - Rayne Hall,Deborah J. Ross,Jonathan Broughton,Karen Heard,Pamela Turner,Liv Rancourt,William Meikle,Tracie McBride,Grayson Bray Morris,Donna Johnson,Rayne Wheeler,Deborah Wheeler

Overall this collection of stories only made up approx 70% of the book (the rest was dedicated to promotion of the author's other works) and left quite a bit to be desired. There weren't really any creepy stories here, and the 'horror' was in very small quantities.

My favourite story by quite a way was 'Death comes for Maggie McDaniel' because of the haunting sadness and the fact that it was a well written and interesting tale. I would definitely read more by Grayson Bray Morris, Pamela Turner, Donna Johnson and William Meikle. The rest I probably wouldn't bother.

I feel that the four best stories are dragged down a bit by the others that get a nudge into the realm of good because they're being carried by the four better stories. Not a great collection, but an OK way to spend a couple of hours if you want a not very scary collection of stories.

Story specific thoughts below:

Out of Order - 3 stars
This one has a single horrible animal scene, which is written off in one or two lines. The horror aspects were not a problem, a bit simple, like a child witnessing a murder, too simplistic to be very impactful. A shame really because the idea is interesting.

Our lady of the toads - 3 stars
Witches tale that reads quickly but doesn't really offer anything new. Not a bad read, but a touch boring.

Family Heirloom - 4 stars
An interesting idea, but the story was over too quickly. I'd have liked to see the story teased out a bit more.

Ring of stones - 4 stars
A really short tale rich with imagery and sensory information. But a glimpse, captivating.

Death comes for Maggie McDaniel - 4.5 stars
A sad tale, full of character and loss. I only wish it were a touch longer so the blow to guts had the impact it deserves. Lovely writing.

Creatures of the night - 4 stars
The creepiest story so far tied in with the character being a writer so it's an instant win for me. The pace is quick, detail light but enough to paint a picture.

Druid stones - 2.5 stars
The story gallops along to its own tune, the ending obvious from a mile off. A lot of flowery wording that could be cut to make the story stronger.

The Loft - 2 stars
Rather boring, even what should have been tense moments lacked any sort of urgency. Repetition and an annoying MC made for an uninteresting or engaging story.

Life in miniature - 3.5 stars
A great idea, but over far too quickly. This should have been teased out, hints dropped etc. Who is Susan? Who is Michael? A little more character behind them would make this a great story.

You have one message - 3 stars
Probably the creepiest only because of the unknown factor and the panic written on the characters faces. The story offered little by way of characterization, but for once this worked because it allowed the faceless masses to form and show mass hysteria even in a small window of opportunity with limited character visibility. Still, there were too many unanswered questions and not enough content to really make this stand on its own.

**Note: I won an electronic copy of this book through the Booklikes giveaway program**