logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 3-star-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-20 14:42
Sweep in Peace by Ilona Adrews Review
Sweep in Peace - Ilona Andrews

Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews Elaine Howlin Book Blog Review

Sweep in Peace picks up 6 months after the events of Clean Sweep and life has returned to normal for Dina....but not for long ;) Her Inn is set to host the volatile peace talks between three warring species. Her livelihood hinges on the outcome and she ends up being pushed into a precarious position to protect her guests.

This book features 4 characters as adults who were kids in The Edge series. It isn't necessary to read The Edge books before this one but you should anyway cause those books are great!

Andrews manage to blend urban fantasy and science fiction so well with this series. Magic and technology don't usually go together but it's something they make work. Here they've blended the two genres without ever having one take over or feel out of place.

The story doesn't follow the Whodunit style that's very often in urban fantasy books. Instead, we're following the peace talks and the very tricksy Arbitrator wreak havoc in Dina's Inn. It made for much more interesting reading within my favourite genre and I gobbled it up!

Favourite Quote: "This is blasphemy!” Odalon declared in the same way Gerard Butler had once roared “This is Sparta.” Sadly, Odalon had nobody to kick into a bottomless hole for emphasis, so he settled for looking extremely put out.”

Source: elainehowlin.wordpress.com
review 2018-08-13 16:43
Loved every minute of this rip-roaring ride of a book!
Shadow's Bane - Karen Chance

With typical audacious Dory style and humour, we’re back in Chance’s world of vampires and fae. In this instalment, we follow Dory on her first job with the Senate searching for smugglers looking to benefit from the upcoming war.

As with all of Chance’s books, this is full of action and so fast paced you will be on the edge of your seat!… if it’s possible to be on the edge of your seat reading a book… The book is quite a bit longer than previous instalments but with such a long gap between publications, the extra bit of recapping at the beginning was greatly appreciated but does slow progression of the plot for the first 100 or so pages.

Once that’s out of the way we’re treated to the most entertaining book in the series that also does a lot to expand the universe of both the Dorina series and the Cassandra Palmer series. I absolutely loved the glimpses into Mircea’s past as a young vampire and the growing dynamic between Dory and her alter ego vampire self Dorina. There’s a lot going on there I never suspected and I can’t wait to see where it goes. We get a lot of growth in relationships and in who the characters are in this one as well especially with Dorina, Mircea and Caedmon.

Loved every minute of this one and can’t wait for the next. Dragon’s Claw, a Dorina/Pritkin crossover novella is due out the end of this month.

Favourite Quote: “There are a thousand ways to die,” he told me quietly. “There are so few really to live. I would gladly risk the former for the latter, and it is my choice, is it not? To risk whatever I must, my heart, my body, my soul, in order to be with you. Is that not what love is? – Louis-Cesare

Source: elainehowlin.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/shadows-bane-by-karen-chance
review 2018-08-08 22:14
Can He Save Her – Escaping Memories by Amanda Siegrist @amanda_siegrist
Escaping Memories - Amanda Siegrist

The cover for Escaping Memories by Amanda Siegrist is simple, yet poignant.

I love that it says so much with so little and the author is the creator.

Cover by Amanda Siegrist

Escaping Memories (Lucky Town #1)

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

In the small town of Lucky, a young child of ten has been murdered and Sheriff Logan Caldwell will not take a badly needed vacation until it has been handled. Then, it’s off to his cabin in the woods. His place of tranquility. He needed some peace and quiet, some solitude. He walks in, only to find he is not alone.

There is a woman and she needs his help. She has no memories, amnesia. She doesn’t know how or why is she here, she just knows danger is out there and she’s not going anywhere.

Even with the characters fear coming through, Amanda Siegrist writes with humor and lightness.

The immediate hook is great, the story line predictable…but who is the bad guy? At 24%, have I met him yet? I don’t think so, and I do have my eyes wide open. It’s a very small town and I would think he is no stranger to the area. He took her, used and abused her, but somehow she managed to escape. In the back of my mind, a thought persists, will he get his hands on her again?

I love strong women in distress. There is a sweet innocence about her. She has been hurt, terrorized, a childlike woman who needs a protector to help her find her way back to herself. Her naivety and honesty comes through in Amanda Siegrist’s storytelling. Even though their relationship develops quickly, she makes it seem as if it is natural, easy, real, well you know, sort of real.

A subtle menace lurks in the background.

Logan is the man I would want to run into if I were in her situation. He is chivalrous. I find the word perfectly describes him. He will not hurt her or take advantage of her. He is patient, gentle, tender, loving, putting her first in all things.

The peripheral characters have important roles to play and their well developed personalities shine through.

Even though I tend to favor darker and grittier novels, Amanda Siegrist made it easy to get lost in Escaping Memories, with suspense and humor that kept me turning the pages. I didn’t always know where we were going, and I like that she kept me guessing. The characters were easy to relate to and drew me into their lives, wanting to know if everyone makes it out of this mess in a good way…except for the bad guy, of course. He needs his comeuppance.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Escaping Memories by Amanda Siegrist.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

MY AMANDA SIEGRIST REVIEWS

• If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
review 2018-08-08 21:49
Do You Believe in Reincarnation – The Tempest Murders by P M Terrell @pmterrell
The Tempest Murders - P.M. Terrell

The Tempest Murders

Amazon  /  Audio  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

The girl of his dream walks into his life and turns his world upside down.

Sounds a bit cliche, but there is nothing cliche about P M Terrell’s ability to write a fantastic story in The Tempest Murders. She tweaks this suspense novel with touches of the paranormal…and maybe reincarnation?

Ryan had dreams of her ever since he could remember and now she walks into his life. He is more than haunted by his past. It’s as if he is reliving it.

I love his interaction with his sweet nieces and they love his cheesy rabbit dinner. It is touches like this that make her characters unforgettable. The twins immediately stole my heart. I could picture them in all their cuteness.

Man, oh man, this woman can write. There is a bigger mystery than mere murder and I eagerly anticipate her explanation. She is creeping me out, but the suspense and anticipation of what’s coming keeps me from putting the book down.

Category 5 Hurricane Irene is bearing down on them, but that is not the only storm brewing. Ryan struggles to keep the past from being repeated, but can he change Fate? What do you think?

I love the blend of serial killer, murder and mystery, with the paranormal and supernatural.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Tempest Murders by P M Terrell.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

MY REVIEWS FOR P M TERRELL

• Leave your link in the comments and I wi
Source: www.fundinmental.com/do-you-believe-in-reincarnation-the-tempest-murders-by-p-m-terrell-pmterrell
review 2018-08-06 19:57
So Disappointed – A Clash of Kings by George R R Martin @GRRMspeaking
A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

Wish I would not have waited so long to continue reading the series. So many characters I got confused. There is so much political machinations going on, that I have become bored with the brutal, crude, selfish and egotistical boy kings. Their emotions and impulses allow them to make mistakes that create some dangerous enemies that will come back to bite them. I am not sure if I like any of them and I’m not sure if they would survive anyway.

I checked this out from the library and I don’t know if I will continue the series or not.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  2 Stars

• If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/so-disappointed-a-clash-of-kings-by-george-r-r-martin-grrmspeaking