logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 3-star-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-24 12:34
Reads well but lacks depth
The Snow Owl - Jon Hartling,Heather Hartling

The Snow Owl is a fantasy/paranormal story that rambles and twists in its writing about a young family who experience a rather interesting event.

I wish there'd been more time to explore the events leading up to the climax, I feel there would have been a greater emotional attachment to the characters. As it stands, this reads well but lacks depth.

review 2017-04-24 12:24
Blood, mud, cops and asthma puffers
Hole - Tony Talbot

This is a short mysterious tale of a man who joins us digging a hole in his backyard. The story takes us through the mystery of why he's digging it and where his wife and housekeeper are.

Blood, mud, cops and asthma puffers; this is not my favourite of Tony's but it's an enjoyable short story.

review 2017-04-24 12:18
I wish it was longer...
What Dragons Prefer - Dayle A. Dermatis

A very short fantasy story about a dragon seeker who is asked to help out a town.

Not for the kiddies, this one includes some adult themes, sexual advances and such as well as innuendo.

I quite liked the ending, I wish it was longer so we could get to explore the world and characters more.

review 2017-04-24 12:07
A good short story, not his best, not his worst.
The Chocolate Defence - Tony Talbot

If you're curious about Tony's writing and want to read a short story this one is a good one to try if the genre takes your fancy.

review 2017-04-24 11:14
Quite underwhelming...
Green but for a Season: A Captive Prince Short Story (Captive Prince Short Stories Book 1) - C.S. Pacat

So I loved the Captive Prince Trilogy, like really loved it. I was super excited to see there were short stories in the same world being released and bought this one and pre-ordered the second one 3 seconds apart.

BUT

I feel this short story was quite underwhelming.

The writing, as before, was a delightful mix of sweet tender moments, inner turmoil and the big bad world of Vere, but it was rehashing information we already knew from reading the trilogy. Yes, it delves a little deeper into Jord and Aimeric's relationship, but really it left me feeling underwhelmed and a little bored.

I will likely automatically buy anything CS Pacat puts out there, I love the Captive Prince Trilogy so much, but I hope the next few short stories in this end up being better than this one.