logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 4-star-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-13 20:35
Monday Mini – Brink of Dawn by Jeff Altabef & Erynn Altabef @jeffaltabef
Chosen: Brink of Dawn (Young Adult Fantasy Thriller) - Jeff Altabef,Erynn Altabef,Lane Diamond,Whitney Smyth

I picked up the first book, Wind Catcher on an Amazon free day, so I was very excited when I won a signed paperback of Brink of Dawn, Book II by Jeff & Erynn altabef.

Wind Catcher has won several awards and I am curious to see about this one.

There are two covers. Look below, after reading my review, and tell us which you like best.

Brink of Dawn (Chosen #2)

MY REVIEW

I was excited to have won a paperback copy of Brink of Dawn by Jeff Altabef, after reading the first book in the Chosen series, Wind Catcher. The series is a fantastic teen and young adult fantasy and science fiction read. Brink of Dawn picks up where Wind Catcher left off, but it can stand alone.

Juliet Wildfire Stone lives up to her name. She has powers:  hears peoples thoughts and reads their emotions, possess animals, super strength and speed, telekinesis, heals instantly…a regular superhero. She has a destiny and knows there are others out there, like her. There is more than Earth at stake and I am so happy that she has her BFF Tony at her side.

This series turned out to be a surprise. It is more than what I was expecting. A group of youngsters out to save th world. Action, danger. They are the chosen and then there’s Troy.They will fight as a team and only death will stop them. The characters grow, develop, and become a family as they fight the good fight .

Surprise and thrills and all the young adult goodness makes this a series that kept me reading and entertained and I do want more…there is a Book III, Scorched Souls.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

Follow-up to the multiple award-winning Wind Catcher

They walk among us as if they are gods.
Only the Chosen know what they are.
Only the Chosen know to fear them.
And only the Chosen can defeat them.

Evolved Publishing presents the second book in the multiple award-winning Chosen series of young adult mystery thrillers, which feature an American Indian fantasy and supernatural theme, from the same author who brought you the award-winning thriller Shatter Point, and his daughter.

Juliet Wildfire Stone and her best friend, Troy Buckhorn, barely escaped their sleepy Arizona town alive. Now they’re speeding to New York City to find the three other Chosen. The Chosen must band together to face an ancient foe that threatens all humanity.

Yet Juliet doesn’t know whom to trust, and strange things are happening in the City.

The Chosen will be tested, their resolve questioned, and their flaws exposed. Each must decide whether he or she will fulfill their destiny—or run. To defeat the enemy, they must stop battling among themselves and overcome their own struggles.

Only one can lead them. Will Juliet embrace her powers in time?

Brink of Dawn picks up where the multiple-award-winning first book in the Chosen series, Wind Catcher, left off, but it can also be read as a stand-alone novel. Continue the adventure! And be sure to watch for the third and final installment in this exciting series, Scorched Souls, to launch in late 2016.

Stalk Jeff:  Website

MY JEFF ALTABEF REVIEWS

Alternate Cover – Which do you like best?

Brink of Dawn (Chosen #2)

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/monday-mini-brink-of-dawn-by-jeff-altabef-erynn-altabef-jeffaltabef
review 2018-06-08 23:55
Thrills Abound in A Secret to the Grave by Jane Blythe @jblytheauthor
A Secret to the Grave (Detective Parker Bell Book 1) - Jane Blythe

Jane Blythe is a suspense/thriller writer that is on my must read list. I eagerly anticipate each book I receive from  her and she has never failed me. I am beginning her Detective Parker Bell series and know I am going to have many hours of thrills and chills.

So….let’s begin.

Cover by QDesign

A Secret To The Grave (Detective Parker Bell #1)

MY REVIEW

Beware! Once I started, I couldn’t stop and I recommend locking your doors and turning off your phone before beginning.

Just looking at the cover for A Secret to the Grave has chills running up and down my spine, as I rub by hands together with glee, eager to dive into another series by Jane Blythe.

Detective Parker Bell and his friend and partner, Detective Skylar Wyatt are on the case and it will not be easy to unravel the who, what and why. The kidnapper has taken his first victim and left rules to the game he wants to play. Follow the clues and save some faceless women and Jane will die. Do nothing, let the women die, and Jane will live. What do you think?

The first brutal, savage, grotesque murder creates a sense of urgency for all of them…and me.

Parker struggles with his past, nightmares making sleep something to be avoided, but nine women’s lives are at stake and they are counting on him and his cohorts to save them. So, buck up. The clock is ticking…

I can hardly wait to see where Jane Blythe will take me to next. I want dark, gritty, truly terrifying suspense and death and there is no short supply of it here.

Jane Blythe kept me guessing the why of it. I love that. The women are geniuses that have their own nightmares and I keep wondering why they don’t fight back.  No matter what the maniac does to them, the women keep the secret he so desperately wants to know. Why are they willing to go peacefully (?) into that good night? They are damaged goods and I wonder, how far will they let this go before someone decides enough is enough. I love the twists and turns Jane has created. I am curious…so very curious about the secret, the real mystery.

I sure do hope curiosity doesn’t get this cat. LOL

Romance? Oh yeah…and she fights it every step of the way. Both Parker and Tessa had a hard life and remain aloof in the love department, though they have cherished friends.

The fire alarm went off at the police station, my heart began to beat faster.

A shot rings out…Oh, please, please, please, don’t let it be her.

The slow, agonizing suspense in this riveting, action packed thriller made ME want to go after HIM myself. I wanted to scream at Parker, HURRY, HURRY!!!!!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of A Secret to the Grave by Jane Blythe.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4  Stars

MY REVIEWS FOR JANE BLYTHE’S BOOKS

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/thrills-abound-in-a-secret-to-the-grave-by-jane-blythe-jblytheauthor
review 2018-05-17 23:44
Monday Mini Review – Wind Catcher by Jeff & Erynn Altabef @jeffaltabef
Wind Catcher - Jeff Altabef,Erynn Altabef

Windcatcher, Chosen #1, by Jeff & Erynn Altabef has more to offer than a beautiful cover.

Speaking of covers, what do you think? Does it make you want to check it out and learn more?

Cover:  Mallory Rock

Wind Catcher (Chosen, #1)

MY REVIEW

I got Wind Catcher by Jeff & Erynn Altabef, as an Amazon freebie back in October of 2016, but it got lost in the shuffle. Then…I won a signed paperback copy of book two, Brink of Death, so I pulled it out, dusted it off, and wondered why in the hell I waited so long to read it.

Juliet Stone is special, but she doesn’t know it. I love her feistiness and loyalty. She sticks up for her friends, even if it comes to blows. You definitely need to watch out for the badass ladies in Wind Catcher.

“You’re special Juliet. You’ve been chosen.”

What seemed to be a typical young adult story. You know, a ‘warrior’ girl fighting the big bad evil, has a twist with Native American mysticism that adds an extra bit of goodness for me and the battle with the Seeker tops it off.

I went straight to Brink of Death, Chosen #2, by Jeff and Erynn Altabef.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

Lies.
Betrayal.
Destiny.
A choice that changes everything.

My name is Juliet Wildfire Stone, and I am special. I see visions and hear voices, and I have no idea what they mean.

When someone murders medicine men in my sleepy Arizona town, I can’t help but worry my crazy grandfather is involved. He’s a medicine man and more than a just a little eccentric. He likes to tell me stories about the Great Wind Spirit and Coyote, but none of it makes any sense. I thought I knew the truth, but in order to clear his name I dive into his alien world and uncover an ancient secret society formed over two hundred years ago to keep me safe—me! And I can’t help but to start to wonder whether there’s some truth to those old stories my grandfather has been telling me.

I just want to be an average sixteen-year-old girl, but apparently I’ve never been average. Could never be average. I didn’t know it before, but I’m a Chosen, and those voices I’ve been hearing… well, they’re not just “voices.” I’ve started to develop abilities, but they might not be enough. A powerful entity called a Seeker is hunting me and he’s close—really close.

I thought I knew the answers but truth is, I don’t. Betrayed by those I love, I must choose to run or risk everything in order to fulfill my destiny. I hope I make the right choice. Don’t you?

AWARDS FOR WIND CATCHER

WINNER: Readers’ Favorite Awards — Gold Medal 2015: Young Adult Coming-of-Age

WINNER: Mom’s Choice Awards — Silver Medal: Young Adult Books

WINNER: Beverly Hills Books Awards – 2015: Best Young Adult Fiction

WINNER: Awesome Indies — Seal of Approval: “A treat to read.”

Stalk Jeff:  Website

Jeff Gunhus
Publication date: May 1st 2018
Genres: Adult, Horror

MY REVIEW

I love the creepy cover for Gypsy Blood and Jeff Gunhus writes some great stories, so I am eager to begin reading.

Corbin is sitting at a cafe minding his own business, suffering writers block and trying to come up with something, when in walks a dame. Sounds cliche, but Margo is not just any dame.

The death of the old man brings about strange happenings, strange men, and danger with a capital D, which will dog his every step.

I think I know what will happen, but Jeff doesn’t make it so simple. This is so not what I was expecting and I do love surprises when it comes to my reading material.

Evil oozes off the pages and I wonder if they will make it out alive and in what shape they will be in, if they do. Corbin and Margo must work together, though neither trusts the other.

I thought Stephen King writes great stories of raising the dead, but he has nothing on Jeff Gunhus in Gypsy Blood and if you are a horror lover, like I am, this is one book and author you will want on your reading list.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Gypsy Blood by Jeff Gunhus.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

Source: www.fundinmental.com/giveaway-gypsy-blood-by-jeff-gunhus
review 2018-04-23 18:27
On The Dark Side – Fated by Donna Augustine @donnaugustine
Fated - Donna Augustine

Fated by Donna Augustine is the third book in the Karma series and the more I read, the more engrossed I become in Karma’s world. This is my favorite one and it left me breathless

Fated (Karma, #3)

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Fated by Donna Augustine is the third book in the Karma series, and the more I read, the more I am loving it.

Things are changing and not all of them are for the better.

Are people all good or all bad? What about the gray area in between the black and white?

Is an apocalypse coming? Can they stop it? Are they even supposed to?

The Jinxes saved her and now they have become her posse. She will need them. They bop around on skateboards and act like a bunch of teenagers. We all know they are not. Who knows how old they are?

I love the humorous writing mixed in with the seriousness.

Karma even meets the Gods.

Another god having a temper tantrum in less than a week? I’d either been created at a bad time or these folks needed some anger management classes.

The fight against good and evil rages on, but the romantic love story traverses time. Plenty of sexual tension, spice and heat as Karma struggles to come to terms with a love that will not, cannot be denied.

AND THAT FRIGGIN’ ENDING. OMG! It almost had me in tears and I was blown away by such a surprisingly fabulous ending.That makes this over the top and a five star read for sure. I am so invested in this series, I don’t know how I’ll be able to wait for Dead Ink, Lar’s Story. I recommend the series be read in order.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Fated by Donna Augustine.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 5 Stars

MY DONNA AUGUSTINE REVIEWS

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/on-the-dark-side-fated-by-donna-augustine-donnaugustine