logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: 4-star-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-14 18:50
Is There A New Killer In Town – Sunset Darkening b Amanda Siegrist @amanda_siegrist
Sunset Darkening - Amanda Siegrist

I have another fantastic story to share from Amanda Siegrist, Sunset Darkening.

Has the serial killer returned or is there a new murderer in town?

Sunset Darkening

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

I love visiting familiar characters and seeing what trouble they can get into now. Amanda Siegrist does not let me down in Sunset Darkening.

Lucas works for the Wadena Police Department. He is awakened by a pounding on his door. He is hyper vigilant and answers with a weapon in his hand, only to find…a vulture, Elle Conners. She is an investigative reporter, wanting answers about the Trick Killer, Clarence Owens. The case: Clarence killed three women and Lucas’ sister, Maddie, was almost the fourth. You can see more about Clarence in the first book, Sunrise Awakening.

As soon as Lucas laid eyes on Elle, he felt an immediate attraction. But cops and reporters don’t go well together and they come from different worlds. She’s a big city girl with lots of money and he’s a small town cop with small town pay.

Does she share the same attraction? She has her own story and even though she wants his, she will not use sex to get the interview. It’s not her style. Hard work, persistence and determination is her motto. Lucas doesn’t know it, but she respects his desire to protect his family, his town.

Another murder in Wadena…is Clarence back, or is there a new killer walking among them?

It has been three months since Clarence’s escape. He is super intelligent, vanishes into disguises where he looks, acts, and sounds like a different person and they will not see him coming. Lucas is obsessed and hopes it is him. He wants him…and I don’t think he cares if its dead or alive.

I love the characters and the story. They are not wusses and stick together.

When Elle and Maddie take on a mission of their own…Psycho beware. You cannot hide.

Amanda Siegrist is making me wonder how many women will go down, before I have my answer. How does he choose his victims? I have my suspect early on and I’ll be curious to see if I’m right. There’s a niggle of doubt and as I read along.

A good bit of misdirection and great suspense coming from it. Amanda Siegrist can sure ramp up the suspense, anticipation, and surprise, leaving me with a fantastic ending and happy ever after.

I can’t pinpoint why this doesn’t blow my socks off. I want to be drawn into the killers evil mind, used, abused and beyond disgust, because he is THAT guy. I want to feel their pain, their fears, Lucas’ desire and Elle’s too. Amanda does that, but…Maybe it’s just an off day for me. Why don’t you grab a copy and let me know what you think.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Sunset Darkening by Amanda Siegrist.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/is-there-a-new-killer-in-town-sunset-darkening-b-amanda-siegrist-amanda_siegrist
review 2017-11-13 16:28
One Sentence Review – The Point of Death by Roslyn Woods
The Point of Death: An Austin, Texas Art Mystery - Roslyn Woods

The Point of Death: An Austin, Texas Art Mystery (Michelle Hodge,#0)

MY ONE SENTENCE REVIEW

I did enjoy The Point of Death by Roslyn Woods that reads like a character study of the good and the bad people do, how they perform in dangerous situations, under pressure, as the gals draw in their small circle of close friends and put the pieces of the mystery together.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Point of Death by Roslyn Woods.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/one-sentence-review-the-point-of-death-by-roslyn-woods
review 2017-11-13 15:57
Monday Mini – Not So Sweet – Strawberries by Casey Bartsch @ecclectic22
Strawberries - Casey Bartsch

I love the fabulous cover of Strawberries by Casey Bartsch, that was done by Jennifer Chang. Great job. So simple, yet it says so much. Made me want it. Then I read…serial killers. Oh yeah!

Strawberries

MY REVIEW

Strawberry is a serial killer that loves coming up with new and creative ways to murder someone. He is a psycho, even doing himself harm, while murdering at random. His signature mark…a strawberry.

He dodges capture, leaving a trail of bodies in a zig zag path he travels, striking when the moment hits him.

The characters are…unusual. At times I felt sorry for them, other times I couldn’t help but smile.

Forces draw them together in a frenzied ending, bodies dropping, blood flowing and some people I like…well, you’ll need to read about it for yourself. I like authors who do the unexpected, regardless of how I might feel about it.

I had made a comment on fuonlyknew’s blog about how much I wanted to read this, and, voila, Casey Bartsch sent me a copy. Thanks so much, Casey.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

review 2017-11-10 17:24
An Island Mystery – The Secrets of Islayne by Kari Lynn West @karilynnwest
The Secrets of Islayne - Kari Lynn West

An island, a mystery, and the beautiful and intriguing cover of The Secrets of Islayne by Kari Lynn West drew me in. I had to know what the story was.

Cover design by Ebook Launch

The Secrets of Islayne

MY REVIEW

Ronan is an iluminator. That’s all he desires in his life. He’s no slacker, though his boss at the book store may have another opinion. He’s a diligent student, loves the training, pouring his heart and soul into his studies. He has his apprenticeship, graduating near the top of his class, until…

Luminators are endowed with the power to see and restore memories. The rich used to dominate the luminators, until hard times forced them to sell some of their land. The power comes from the land itself. Now, even families and second class citizens, a common islander, like Ronan, may have the power. The rich think it’s wrong. Sound familiar to present day circumstances? The rich and empowered want it all to themselves.

Cassie is a long time friend, along with Eli. She’s bold, daring, maybe a bit headstrong, (lol, very understated description of her) a daredevil. Eli’s family was wealthy. Somewhat of a surprise that he is friends with Ronan and his snooty parents hates it. They felt only the wealthy should have the power. The same goes for Cassie. She is not a luminator, but her father is.

Eli and Ronan met at the Academy. Cassie met them there, when they befriended her. She needs to think twice about her playful suggestions of entertainment, which can be dangerous and foolhardy.

They believed all they did was good, but everything can be misused and abused. Power can be a seductive thing and abuse of power can be easy to fall victim to for some of our characters. Some danger is hidden and some is in your face.

Some things had a ring of familiarity and I had to see if check I’d read it before. Once I got into the book, it didn’t take long to realize that I hadn’t. I have read thousands of books, so maybe that’s why some things rang familiar.

When everything Ronan has strived for is at risk, when his friends memories are on the line, I wonder if Ronan will do the right thing. What do you think? Well….I’m not telling. Find out for yourself by reading the book.

The Secrets of Islayne by Kari Lynn West is filled with fabulous characters and I loved each and every one of them, even the bad ones. It was great watching the gang grow and rise to the occasion. The world on the Island of Islayne was filled with action, intrigue and danger that I would definitely recommend.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/an-island-mystery-the-secrets-of-islayne-by-kari-lynn-west-karilynnwest
review 2017-11-08 14:59
Badass Female Vigilante Serial Killer – Blood Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff @AlexSokoloff
Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers) - Alexandra Sokoloff

Alexandra Sokoloff has reeled me in, hook, line and sinker, with her Huntress/FBI Thriller Series. Huntress Moon (see my review here) blew me away and she has kept it up in Blood Moon, Book II.

The covers scream out to me…and I do not hesitate to answer…I’m coming.

Cover:  Brandi Doane

Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)

MY REVIEW

I am so excited to be back with Special Agent Matthew Roarke, kicking down doors and taking down the bad guys, as his hunt for Cara continues. I love action from the opening page, getting me fully invested in the story and Blood Moon has it in spades.

This book picks up where Huntress Moon, Book I, left off. It does  fill in some blanks from the first book, but I will tell you now, I am so happy I started at the beginning. I don’t want to miss a thing and I don’t think you will either.

Cara is a female serial killer, but she is so much more than that. She is a vigilante that Roarke has been chasing since Huntress Moon, Book I of the series. Cara was not born this was, she was created…by The Reaper. She touched me deeply. Right or wrong? Who are we to judge? She is exorcising her demons the only way she knows how, saving innocent lives along the way.

Life is not black and white, but many shades of gray. Blood Moon makes many questions come to mind as man’s inhumanity to those unable to protect themselves is shoved in your face. Is evil alive? Does it have a physical presence?

How far should they, the FBI, go to draw her out? Roarke has conflicting feelings, but comes up with the plan. Cara was Roarke’s incentive to become an FBI agent, since he learned about the tragedy surrounding her at when he was nine years old.

Alexandra Sokoloff has written a story that pushes and pulls me in so many directions making me question myself. My morals and ethics. Who is right? Who is wrong?

She skillullly weaves the past and the present, sharing the storyline from Cara and Roarke’s perspective. The investigation takes them to surprising places, the clues and evidence leading them in unexpected ways. This is not your typical police procedural. Reading all the evidence takes a meticulous and detailed mind, thinking outside the box. I think it takes a special kind of person, whether you are deciphering the clues as a reader or creating them as a writer.

Alexandra Sokoloff is able to ramp up the intrigue, my curiosity, the suspense, and my anticipation to a horrifying, frantic level, making me wonder how this can possibly end.

Would you care if the traffickers, rapists, and pimps were offed? Would you go out of your way to find the vigilante who protects children who are unable to protect themselves and others have cast aside?

The characters come to life in a way I never anticipated. I loved them, I hated them, I worried about them, I raged at them, I fretted with fear and terror, and I wished they would go down in flames, and I mean that literally.

I love/hate the ending, BUT don’t think for a minute that the story is done, because Alexandra Sokoloff has so much more coming in Cold Moon, Book III, and I do not want to miss one second of Roarke’s and Cara’s story. I didn’t wait…I immediately began to read it.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Blood Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

• Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/badass-female-vigilante-serial-killer-blood-moon-by-alexandra-sokoloff-alexsokoloff