logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: blog-not-a-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-03-17 23:31
Milanese Adventures

I'm back home with a sodding cold so I wanted to post this before retiring with a hot beverage.

The work part of the trip went better than expected and we ended up with a little bit of time to go exploring and indulge in some of that lovely, lovely Italian food. I won't torture you guys with pictures of the food, but thought I'd share some of the snaps I took when visiting the Duomo. It is such a magnificent building. The masonry on the outside alone is just astounding - none of the images seem to be the same, some tell a story, some are cautionary (as befits the use in a church), and some were actually funny.

Impressive, isn't it? No wonder it took about 600 years for the church to be completed.

And when, after some queuing, we finally got to look inside, it just took my breath away...

Check out that organ! It's the second biggest in Europe (after the one in Passau). It has two parts - one of each side of the altar. I can only imagine the sound this would create.

The weirdest thing was that there did not seem to be any point from where you could take in the whole of the interior. Whenever you moved, a new section of the interior would be revealed. For example, you can't really see the magnificent windows from the entrance. You have to go all the way to the back, and as you move forward, you discover sculptures and other parts like the entrances to the crypts below.

It was such an awesome place. Literally.

photo 2017-03-15 14:29
View from the office today.

I'll be out for a couple of days...

text 2017-03-05 19:39
Sunday Soup

There may be something in the air tonight because it's not just Whiskey who has had a craving for soup today.

I met up with a friend for gelato earlier - apparently meeting for gelato on Sunday is becoming a thing - she was talking about soup she made earlier today. What can I say, soup's been on my mind for the rest of the afternoon....

So, here is what I ended up with: I just wanted something easy and filling, that I could make with ingredients that I already had at home.

I roasted some sweetcorn with smoked paprika for a bit, then added it to other veg (celery, onion, carrot, a red pepper, and a potato). Let it boil with a bay leaf, salt, black pepper, rosemary for a bit, then blitzed it.

The smoky goodness of the soup goes nicely with some cheesy topping.

My sides are slices of bread topped with humus.

It's a really simple soup, but I'm loving it.

Happy (Soup) Sunday All!

text 2016-12-30 21:09
2016 In The Rear View Mirror

2016 sucked. There is no way of sugar-coating this or disguising it as a learning experience. 2016 was a horrible, horrible year.

Not only because we lost a lot of treasured celebrities, but also from a personal perspective. 2016 sucked at work. 2016 sucked in politics - and yes the Brexit mess does affect me personally, whereas the Trumpocalypse merely shattered whatever faith in civilisation I had left after June. And 2016 sucked because I lost someone very dear to me - my great-uncle, mentor, and fellow tennis and jazz enthusiast - just a few days before Christmas.

So, I really want to say good riddance to 2016.

However, when I came across a year-end post on another blog I follow, I was inspired to look at all of the good things that happened this year, and actually there were quite number of them:

• I found the perfect book - Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin.
  • I had some fabulous times spent with old friends.
  • I made new friends.
  • I weathered a storm.
  • I saw Roger, Serena, DelPo, McHale, Wawrinka, and Isner play tennis at Wimbledon.
  • I played a LOT of tennis.
  • I went on adventures - Orkney, Italy (Milan and Como), Edinburgh, Stirling.
  • There was some serious live music involved.
  • I got to meet my favourite author (who also turned out to be a top human being).
  • I got to handle a snake. It was a very small python, but it still counts!
  • I saw puffins in the wild.
  • I took part in an indoor rowing competition. (First time, and no idea why I signed up other than it was a charity event.)

So, altogether there were a lot of awesome moments this year. It's just that they have been overshadowed by other events.

May 2017 be a new start, a blank canvas, and may we be daring with our choice of colours.

text 2016-12-08 11:38
The State of the Blog

Good morning Friends,

The slowness of Booklikes, the unresponsiveness of both the website and its owners have driven a good many of us to seek out other "homes" and alternative book sites, blog sites, and other sites (I'm sure bars count as "sites") to try and salvage what may be left of our online community, our blogging existence, and our sanity.

Whilst I will not leave BL until it completely ceases to exist, it seems many already have and many others are currently lurking because the site is unusable for them.

If you have other blogs or sites outside of Booklikes and you'd like to keep in touch with people from here, please add where we can find you in the discussion group

Non-Booklikes Member Blog URLs.

Or if BL is giving you a hard time loading pages, you can leave a comment on this post where else we can keep in touch. If BL lets me, I will try and add URLs from comments to the discussion group.

As for myself, you can find me on

WordPress