logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: blog-not-a-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-12-10 18:13
Sunday Soup

It's been freezing all weekend. Not only did we have snow, which actually stayed for three days (and counting...) but for most of today we had temperatures of -5C (-9C! on the other side of town).

We don't get freezing temperatures that often this close to the sea.

It is of no surprise then that I have craved hot soup all day. :) The drawback was that I needed to use things I had in the kitchen as I had no intention of going to the shops. The pavements are all covered in ice...

Today's odds'n'ends soup turned out tasty enough, albeit I wouldn't say it's a new favourite. It also had some kick to it as I found a green chili pepper in the fridge.

What else is in there:

- stock

- blob of cream cheese

- salt, pepper, paprika

- green chili pepper

some grated cheese on top.

Happy Soup Sunday!

text 2017-12-08 09:49
This morning...

I woke up to this on my day off. It's still snowing.

So, you can all imagine what my plans are for today. :D

Happy Friday!

text 2017-12-02 12:37
Good morning...

...or noon. Whatever. It's a Saturday.

I am typing this whilst sipping my first coffee of the day, so it is morning to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a few minutes to say thank you to everyone here on BL that makes this community of of book lovers such an awesome place. It's not something I take for granted.

While we may have differences in opinion and tastes - some prefer dogs over cats etc. ;) - we tend to have a community that appreciates different point of view and that is genuinely interested in what others have to say or where they are coming from when posting something. I truly appreciate the exchange of views and ideas here in the BL forum, and equally so, that we can have discussions, jokes, rants without causing or taking much offence.

Yeah, as I am typing this, I am half thinking up a response to a new comment on "the other book site"...

Anyway, thank you all.

Now back to my coffee and Hogfather.

text 2017-11-07 13:25
This week's office view...

...is pretty cool, BUT it is an office view that I get to spend an awful lot of time looking at, which is why I haven't shared any exciting book, food, or wildlife pictures with you all, yet.

Thankfully, there is an end in sight as we are nearing Wednesday. And so, I can do more plotting of adventures for the weekend and few days that I have off after this current project.

So, more of this...

Btw, BOH tea is grown in Malaysia. I visited last time I was here. There is something lovely about drinking tea where it grows. It has a quite delicate flavour, so I'm enjoying this one without milk, but with a little sugar.

These are from the last trip, and were taken at the tea plantation:

Imagine plucking these by hand!

*** EDIT ***

So, I hadn't noticed before posting the pictures, but picture # 2 also works for the St. Martin's Day Task of the 16 Festive Tasks.

" –OR– Take a picture of the book you’re currently reading, next to a glass of wine, or the drink of your choice, with or without a fire in the background."

I'll count it towards that. ***

text 2017-10-29 19:34
The Sunday Post: Halloween Fun

With Halloween happening on a weekday night this year, my friends and I had a bit of seasonal fun this weekend at this lovely place: Glamis Castle.

Glamis is my favourite castle hands down (and I have visited ... many). It's not just the Macbeth connection, or the connection with Queen Mother, or anything like that, it is because they (still privately owned by the Strathmores) really care about the place and about making visitors feel welcome. There is always something special about what they put on. And it is a community thing - the castle is staffed by locals who have been there for a long time, the guides have been there forever, the old castle kitchens (now the restaurant) uses local produce from the estate, etc. I seriously love visiting this place and try to do so at least once every year.

This year, the castle put on a Halloween event - A Halloween themed tour of the castle and they also made up a Macbeth inspired walk around the grounds that was fitted with sculptures and a light and sound installation.

One of my friends has problems with her eyesight at the moment and can't really manage well in the dark. So, we decided to get there in the afternoon and walk around the castle gardens and woods first, while there was still daylight.
It was so much fun. The other friend who came was a bit sceptical at first because, well, how much fun can trees with lights really be, right? However, we spent nearly the whole walk laughing and being shocked by the sounds. At one point my sceptical friend found a big, bright red button in from of the witches sculpture - of course she pressed it! The thunder, lightning, and smoke that ensued set us jumping. One of us even lost her shoe! Seriously, we had so much fun.

After the woods, we joined the castle tour that we had booked. It was fab! They had dimmed the lights so the parts of the castle were completely dark, others just lit by candles. They decorated everything with gargoyles, skeletons, cob webs ... and live actors dressed as ghosts, zombies, knights, witches...all turning up at random times to make you feel really, erm, uneasy.

(This photo was one I found on the Glamis Castle Facebook page.)

The tour told only of the castle's ghosts and gory stories, and a little history. Not much history, tho, because this was a Halloween tour and there were kids present (who might have been bored). And still, we all learned something new.

At the end of the tour, I ended up as a tribute to the resident witches but managed to escape just in time to follow my friends to the old castle kitchens for homemade roast pumpkin soup and a well deserved and absolutely huge pot of tea.

So much fun.

On top of that, I picked up from the tour that there seems to be a connection between Glamis and Bonnie Dundee (Graham Claverhouse or Bloody Dundee) - who was the subject of Josephine Tey's only (as far as I know) work of non-fiction (which is on my TBR). And because of how rabbit holes work, I now need to know what the connection is. (There is a portrait of Claverhouse in the portrait gallery at Glamis...)

Happy Sunday!