logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: the-paris-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2016-08-22 16:32
On Translation
Crow with No Mouth (Old Edition) - Stephen Berg

I was turned on to the 15th century poet an Zen master Ikkyū by the writer Peter Matthiessen, author of The Snow Leopard and a practitioner of Zen himself. When he died in 2014 the Paris Review (which he helped found) printed an Ikkyū quote from one of his books with his obituary. I was struck by the quote and have incorporated it into my own life:

"Having no destination, I am never lost"

I used it recently in my employee profile at a new job and decided to look further into the original poet. I took out the only book they have at the Free Library and on the first page came across this couplet:

"if there's nowhere to rest at the end

how can I get lost on the way?"

It is terribly obvious that translations will differ, and this is hardly the most striking example but it stuck with me all week and now I have to learn Japanese so I can understand the original. It will go on the queue with Italian, French, Russian, Spanish, and ancient Greek and Roman. I must know!

url 2015-12-16 22:55
In Defense of Fanny Price (from The Paris Review)

Critics have given Mansfield Park-- and it's heroine Fanny especially-- a hard time for a very long time. While I would never say MP is my favorite, I could never really understand the vitriol it could bring out in otherwise sound intellectuals. This article takes a look at how MP has been potentially misinterpreted.

url 2015-07-19 23:31
The Paris Review Staff Picks: Coates, Cartels, Caesar, Cigarettes

Source: www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/07/17/staff-picks-coates-cartels-caesar-cigarettes
review 2014-10-30 20:01
The Paris Winter by Imogen Robertson
The Paris Review #172 - Winter 2004 - Th... The Paris Review #172 - Winter 2004 - The Paris Review

Who wouldn't want to spend the winter in Paris?  Maud was in Paris starving and freezing as an art student when Tanya, a wealthy woman, befriended her and helped ​Maud ​obtain a position ​in a home to take care of a young lady.

​Maud found out the accommodations brought about more than a warm place to stay and good meals.  Sylvie, the young lady she was taking care of, smoked opium and stole things​, her "brother" wasn't very honest, and nothing was what it seemed. What else was going to happen, and what did she get herself into?

What was supposed to be a life-changing winter turned out to be a winter of lies, ​danger​, deceit, and murder​.

The beginning of THE PARIS WINTER was a bit slow, but as the tale unraveled, there was nothing slow​, ​​nothing short of deviousness, and nothing ​short of
intrigue​.  Don't give up too soon.

You will feel sorry for Maud, you will love Tanya and Yvette - they are actually comical and so loyal to Maude, you will hate Sylvie and her "brother," and you will question all that goes on with them and question their motives.

I thoroughly enjoyed THE PARIS WINTER because of the well-developed, unlikeable, devious, corrupt characters and the unpredictable, twisted plot with a marvelous, thrilling ending.   This thrilling ending was set during the Paris flood of 1910 and was a perfect connection to Maud's intentions.

Don't miss reading THE PARIS WINTER.  You will be pulled in just like the flood waters of Paris pulled in its citizens.  THE PARIS WINTER is an alluring, captivating historical read. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Source: silversolara.blogspot.com
text 2014-08-14 23:54
"We fill in gaps. We shade them in. We gloss over them. We elide.”

What We See When We Read by