logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: The Suggestion Box
created by: Abandoned by user
back to group back to club
Reply to post #19 (show post):

And St. Patricks Day! Love that idea, by the way.
I went with "Stranger Things" because as a title it evokes (for me, at least, and before I saw the trailers and only knew the name) creepy oddness that goes well with Halloween.
Hmm maybe we can do Halloween /Stranger Things but also try to involve all genres. I don't want anyone to feel excluded. We will think on it.

I still want to do a 50 state book challenge or something like that. Will have to see for next summer :-)
It doesn't have to be sf/f to be 'stranger things"
Reply to post #19 (show post):

I want to add a voice for a Holiday Bingo. Even though there's not much time to prepare for it, maybe we've got enough momentum from Halloween Bingo -- or maybe too much???? -- to put together a similar game for November and December? Thanksgiving, Christmas, Winter Solstice/Yule, Kwanzaa, Channukah, and even some that don't fall within those calendar months but are similarly celebrated?
Reply to post #25 (show post):

Maybe could just do some updates to last year's Holiday/Winter game and recycle the card. Maybe just add some different activities. It was nice, because it was low stress/low demand, with the option to do or post an activity vs. reading a book for each square, and I learned a lot about my fellow booklikers through the activities.
Thanks for the suggestions! I did put together the 12 Tasks of the Festive Season last year, although that was the point that BL became nearly unusable, so I think a lot of people, including myself, got so frustrated that there wasn't much activity on the feed. I personally gave up on posting about the game, although I did continue to "play" it because I was excited about a lot of the tasks!
Was thinking maybe for spring we try to do the USA by the book again challenge. That was fun from a few years ago.
Reply to post #28 (show post):

Why not add other countries with each state, too? For instance

Hershey PA is known for chocolate. So is Belgium. Read a book set in Pennsylvania or Belgium or about chocolate.
Reply to post #29 (show post):

Great idea Linda!
Shall I start a list? Where?

Alabama =Crimson Tide football, so Alabama or Australia or a book featuring a football player
Alaska = Baked Alaska, so Alaska or Austria or a book featuring pastry
Arkansas = diamonds and quartz crystals, so Arkansas or Brazil or a book featuring gemstones
Arizona = desert, so Arizona or North Africa, or a book set in the desert
California = gold, so California or Egypt or a book featuring golden treasure
Colorado = mountains, so Colorado or Switzerland or a book featuring mountains/mountaineering
Connecticut = insurance, so Connecticut or Monaco or a book featuring risks/gambling
Delaware = corporations, so Delaware or England or a book featuring money, investments, business.
Florida = spring break, so Florida or Italy or a book featuring beach vacations

Some are kind of a stretch, but this is so far just off the top of my head.
Nice! Start a list here!
This is a fun idea, OB/Linda/Mucamukk. I like it!
Reply to post #33 (show post):

@ muccamukk -- I love your Iowa suggestion! ♥♥♥ Perfect!

There are a lot of alternatives, and that offers another option -- Pick your own link, but include the explanation of that link in the review. So Kentucky could be whiskey/whisky, or horse-racing, with additional points for combinations. 5 points for a book set in Kentucky, 5 more if it includes horse-racing, 5 more if there's a bar or drinking, and throw in 5 more if you can connect it to Ireland or Scotland. And then vice versa: 5 points for a book set in Scotland, 5 more if there's a reference to whisky or drinking, 5 more for horse-racing, etc, even if there's no mention of Kentucky.

And then just rack up points for the fun of it. ;-)

Reply to post #32 (show post):

Love ~
Need help?