logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: To-be-reviewed
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-13 09:22
Burning Through Their Eyes by Eugene Knigh
Burning Through Their Eyes - Eugene Knig... Burning Through Their Eyes - Eugene Knight

Burning Through Their Eyes by Eugene Knight is a thriller/science fiction book that was a fast, interesting book to read. I was mesmerized. I gave it four stars only because of the grammatical errors, typos and homonyms. This did not reflect on the quality of the author's writing.

Toby, his wife and twin sons have their life interrupted by a kidnapping of one of their infant sons. It's related to his job at the University that is controlled by the NSA. It's a disturbing story about mind manipulation.

I received a complimentary copy from Createspace and NetGalley. That did not change my opinion for this review.

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1544691130

review 2017-12-13 09:01
Polly Diamond and the Magic Book: Book 1... Polly Diamond and the Magic Book: Book 1 - Alice Kuipers,Diana Toledano
Polly Diamond and the Magic Book written by Alice Kuipers and illustrated by Diana Toledano is a children's book written for ages four to eight years.

Polly loves words and writing stories and lists. She believes amazing things happen in threes. Her mother is expecting another baby, so her three-year-old sister, Anna (the sparkle princess) moved into Polly's room. She's not happy about it.

Her father is a contractor and always has a project going in the house. Polly's new magic book allows her to make things happen that she writes. She's imaginative and creative. It is a fun story to read. I gave it five stars.

I received an Advanced Reading Copy from Chronicle Books and NetGalley. That did not change my opinion for this review.

It is in pre-order status until May 18, 2018 so I could not leave a review on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Polly-Diamond-Magic-Book/dp/1452152322
review 2017-12-09 15:19
Plum Dandi Knits
Plum Dandi Knits: Simple Designs for Luxury Yarns - Alicia Plummer,Melissa Schaschwary

by Alicia Plummer, Melissa Schaschwary

As the cover and description would indicate, this is a book of knitting patterns. What's unique about it is an emphasis on stitch patterns that create romantic designs that are very fluid, like nature.

My one complaint about it is that a lot of the patterns are for 'accessories'. I counted 2 patterns for leg warmers, one flared, 1 pair of warm looking socks, 4 shawls, one with a massive cable design, 2 patterns for fingerless gloves with interesting textures plus a pattern for enclosed mittens, an interesting headband that I'll certainly make, 2 scarves, a sort of cabled hat with a big fluffy ball at the top plus 2 more hats, one that the texture pattern made me think of dragon scales, and a cabled blanket.

This wouldn't be bad if there were more patterns for pullovers and cardigans. Apart from the above there was a patter with delicate stitch patterns in a cardigan and shrug, a striped pullover vest, a turtleneck pullover, an interesting patterned cape that I would make longer, and one other pullover with a lovely pattern going down the sleeves which I am very likely to make. No jackets or dresses, which might have benefited from the sort of design that has gone into the projects offered.

There's an extensive stitch glossary, including some unusual ones like the long-tail cast on that I haven't seen elsewhere. I'd say this book is for the more experienced knitter. There are plenty of pictures in color and the stitches are illustrated with clear drawings.

Overall a good knitting book, but I'd like to see more patterns for everyday clothes. You can only make so many hats and scarves before you have too many, no matter how cool the designs.

review 2017-12-08 15:49
The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock
The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock - Imogen Hermes Gowar

by Imogen Hermes Gowar

Unfortunately this story is written in present tense and like most books that are written this way, the prose feels stilted and doesn't flow well, plus the tenses get confused when referring to something that happened in the story's past. It's a shame as it had the potential to be really good. People who don't mind reading in present tense may enjoy it more than I was able to. I also had the impression from the description that it would be about a live mermaid rather than an artefact, but I won't blame the author for my expectations being other than what the story was really about.

A merchant, Jonah Hancock, learns that his agent has sold his ship to buy a mermaid. His ship! His means of livelihood!

He is given no choice but to begin a new career in exhibiting what would be considered the body of a freak of nature. It isn't what he wants to do, but it will take him into some unexpected adventures.

The characters were depicted well in this and the plot had some interesting twists and turns, but I found it hard going because of the present tense writing. It just doesn't work for me and I know a lot of other people are the same, so why do recent writers keep doing it? Anyway, I'm giving it 3 stars because I think this author could write well and the plot did have some interesting aspects.

review 2017-12-05 14:55
The Toy Makers
The Toy Makers - Robert Dinsdale

by Robert Dinsdale

This is a story about a magical toyshop in the heart of Mayfair, just at the beginning of WWI. A young girl, Cathy, is pregnant and not at all happy with her parent's plans to send her to a 'home' where her baby will be sold to adoptive parents and she can try to pick up the threads of her life in shame.

An employment advert comes to her attention and she decides to take control of her destiny and forge another way forward.

From the start it is clear that the toyshop is out of the ordinary. I found myself quickly getting into the childlike sense of wonder that this magical place attracts and enjoyed watching Cathy learn to fit in with the other residents and toy makers.

It isn't all magic and joy though. The real world encroaches on the magical world of the toyshop, especially when the Great War breaks out. By then we've already learned the far too real history of Papa Jack, who started the toy shop with his two sons. The contrast of the magical world within the real world makes for a good story and kept me interested all the way through.

There is everything from sibling rivalry to magical animals that come alive, war time prejudices contrasted with paper trees that grow and develop living paper mache wildlife, war time correspondence and through it all the perspective of a child discovering everything for the first time.

It's not all happy, but the twist at the end makes the journey worthwhile. Well defined characters and a very unpredictable plot along with good writing make this one of the best books I've read this year!