logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-crew
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-16 14:24
ARC REVIEW Lord Carlton's Courtship by Alexandra Ivy

Lord Carlton's Courtship

Originally published in 2000 under the name Debbie Raleigh, Alexandra Ivy has re-released this with a beautiful new cover. I enjoyed this one, it's not one of my favorites I think I prefer her PNR but it was a good read. The story was well written and I liked the way it played out. I liked the characters too, even though Roma did get annoyingly stubborn at one point.

All it took was one meeting with Roma Allendyle for Lord Giles Carlton to be completely besotted and one conversation to fall head over heels. But Roma isn't looking for a husband she looking for her missing brother and only after Carlton points out that as a woman she will get no information of anyone in the Home Office does she finally give in and let Carlton help her; that by no way means she going to stop looking herself. It bugs Roma that Carlton is helping her, she can't figure out his motive and the fact that he can find out information about her brother because he's a man really bugs her. Roma also keeps getting distracted by how handsome he is and why out of all the women in London he wishes to be with her a head strong, intelligent, country girl who hates London. She can't seem to realize Carlton's helping her is also his way or courting her too.

Overall, it's an quick (unless you are constantly distracted by your kids like I was) and easy read. I loved the characters and the action was pretty intense there at the end. It's a worthwhile read. I really loved the atypical courtship between Carlton and Roma.

review 2018-11-15 15:22
ARC REVIEW Kiss of a Duke by Erica Ridley

Kiss of a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #2)

12 Dukes of Christmas #2, Back in Cressmouth, also known as Christmas, the perpetually snow covered mountain town lives Penelope Mitchell a lady chemist, and natural philosopher. Her latest claim to fame is the perfume that took the ton by storm, Duke. She didn't do it for the money she just wanted to prove to the men of the Natural Philosophers Society that she, a woman, deserved admittance. But as soon as Beau Brummel told the Prince Regent about it every man has gone out and bought a bottle.

Not everyone was happy about it though, Nicholas Pringle the heir presumptive for his cousin Duke Silkridge, thinks the perfume is cheating; it's an unfair advantage to men who don't normally possess that kind of charm. Nick, who was dubbed St. Nick ironically because he is anything but a saint, is shocked and pleased when he finds out the creator of Duke is a woman and decides he can seduce her and get her to stop production of Duke. But Penelope is not what he expected and she seems immune to his charms but for some reason he can't stay away from her.

Penelope had already decided to create Duchess the female equivalent to Duke and give women the same chance. Now she just needs to test it and what better way to test it than on a notorious rake. But the more time Penelope spends with him the more she likes him, he is so much more than the man the world sees he has hidden talents and is a much better man than he lets on. Now she starts feeling guilty and ashamed because she thinks her perfume seduced him but she's also scared that telling him the truth will break her heart.

Overall, I really liked this one. Nick is a rake but as soon as he sets eyes on Penelope that's it for him he has eye for no one else. The people of Cressmouth are wonderfully quirky, and I can't wait for Virginia and Gloria's stories. It's not necessarily a Christmas read, it takes place after, but it could be read as one. This is a delightfully fun read and as always Erica Ridley delivers a great story with wonderful characters.

review 2018-11-13 14:39
ARC REVIEW Whiskey Undone by Carrie Ann Ryan

Whiskey Undone (Whiskey and Lies, #3)

Whiskey and Lies #3, YAY!!! Ainsley and Loch finally! This can be read as a standalone as with most of her Contemporary Romance. Loch and Ainsley have been best friends for over ten years, she's helped take care of Loch's daughter when Misty's mother abandoned her and she has always been there content to be his best friend always hoping she could be more. Loch has kept Ainsley in the friend zone because he always feared he never deserved a happy ending, always assuming that sex would ruin everything and she'd not only leave him but Misty too. But Loch can't stand the thought of her with anyone else and one night changes their entire relationship the night they give in to their desire. Unfortunately sex fries their brains, especially Loch's, and they became unable to communicate with each other and they start fighting. It wasn't the only life changing event to happen that night a dead body was discovered behind Loch's gym and now his past is coming back to get  him.

Overall, another outstanding book by Carrie Ann Ryan. I love the Collins and the town of Whiskey. The book had a great epilogue, very nice HEA wrap up for the family. Third person perspective that switches between Ainsley and Loch so you do learn what Loch's deal is and understand where he's coming from. This is a very emotional story it does deal mostly with Ainsley and Loch's relationship and Loch's emotional issues. The external conflict is a doozie it was really intense there at the end, wow. As sad as I am to see this series end I am anxious for the upcoming series Ryan has planned.

review 2018-11-08 14:31
ARC REVIEW No Ordinary Duke by Sophie Barnes

No Ordinary Duke (The Crawfords, #1)

The Crawfords #1, I love books where one of the main characters hides part of who they are and fall in love, I always like how they redeem themselves to the other person. In this Caleb Crawford has finally comes home after studying architecture in France to prove his father wrong only to find out both his father and older brother died in a fire and he has now inherited the Dukedum. After trying for a couple of months, Caleb is at his breaking point he needs some time away from being the duke. His best friend Viscount Aldridge, has the solution, his sister lives out in the country with two other women and take care of orphan children. Seeing as how Aldridge's sister has never meet Caleb he just introduces himself as Mr. Crawford the new caretaker.

Mary Clemens, the daughter of a tradesman who became extraordinarily wealthy, got burned by society. She thought she fell in love with a man above her social standing but he let his father ruin the relationship and the father spread horrid rumors about her all over London. Her only escape was to disappear from London society and to live with her friend in the country and help children in need. Mary knowing her reputation was irreparably damaged she figured she'd never marry so she created a life with her two friends that was satisfying. The appearance of Mr. Crawford unsettled her because he aroused feeling in her she never had before and the fact that he was a laborer and not from society was perfect but she keeps misreading his intentions. Caleb knows Mary is special and it doesn't take him long to figure out he wants to marry her, but with her dislike of society he has to find away to reveal who he really is without completely destroying her faith in him. Unfortunately that option is taken out of his hands and now he has to repair the damage done.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. The characters were great. Mary even though she is a strong, opinionated, plain spoken kind of woman is so use to everything be blamed on her she keeps doubting everything. Caleb dealing with his newfound status in society and figuring out that he doesn't have to let the Dukeship define and dictate who he really is. I liked the set up with Caleb's brothers with at least two more books coming I look forward to Devlin's book. The epilogue felt off it was set so far in their future it would have made more sense to be at the end of the series with a wrap up of everyone's lives and not just these two and their kids. It feels so final and I don't want to feel that at the end of book one.