logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: first-book-review
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-11-21 14:43
Review: By the Book by Julia Sonneborn
By the Book - Julia Sonneborn

An English professor struggling for tenure discovers that her ex-fiancé has just become the president of her college—and her new boss—in this whip-smart modern retelling of Jane Austen’s classic Persuasion.

Anne Corey is about to get schooled.

An English professor in California, she’s determined to score a position on the coveted tenure track at her college. All she’s got to do is get a book deal, snag a promotion, and boom! She’s in. But then Adam Martinez—her first love and ex-fiancé—shows up as the college’s new president.

Anne should be able to keep herself distracted. After all, she’s got a book to write, an aging father to take care of, and a new romance developing with the college’s insanely hot writer-in-residence. But no matter where she turns, there’s Adam, as smart and sexy as ever. As the school year advances and her long-buried feelings begin to resurface, Anne begins to wonder whether she just might get a second chance at love.

Funny, smart, and full of heart, this modern ode to Jane Austen’s classic explores what happens when we run into the demons of our past...and when they turn out not to be so bad, after all.

I’m always up for a second chance romance, but unfortunately this book was not for me. From the plot line to the characters were things I disliked. For one we had way to many clichés in this. Both character and story wise.  Also it was way to predictable for me, while we get a little of that in a lot of books, this was just too much along with the clichés.

The main characters who us a English Professor is also a bit of a  literary snob, so is also her co-worker who also happens to be her best friend. He wont read anything published after 1920 which would be fine if it didn’t come  over so snotty. Speaking of the best friend who also happens to be gay, he could have not been more of a stereotype, the way her dressed or talked or behaved. I think that could have been much better and less cliché and it would have been more enjoyable. We have come so far when it comes to LGBTQs so there is no reason to throw out all these cliches.

I also was not a big fan of the Anne, who also was been way to overplayed . She lived to much in the what has been and not in the what is happening now. She seemed to play with people because she only thought f herself at times.

Overall, I was not a fan but I’m sure there will be plenty of people who will overlook all the clichés like the book much better.

I rate it 2 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available Feb 6th 2018

JULIA SONNEBORN IS AN ENGLISH PROFESSOR AND A LOS ANGELS NATIVE. AFTER HEADING EAST FOR COLLEGE AND GRADUATE SCHOOL, SHE HIGHTAILED IT BACK TO CALIFORNIA,WHERE SHE NOW LIVES WITH HER HUSBAND, TWO KIDS, TWO CATS AND A DOG.

LINK

GOODREADS

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-book-julia-sonneborn
review 2017-11-18 13:57
Secrets For The Mad by Dodie Clark

You can tell that Dodie is not a professional writer, not that this is written badly by any means. There are just some parts that drag a little or the wording is a little odd and doesn't flow too well. I still really enjoy the book.

I love her as a person, and enjoy getting to know more about her, at least the stuff she was willing to share in this book, and it seemed she shared quite a lot! Thanks Dodie. We need to talk more about stuff like this so people know we're important, too. Invisible illnesses are the worst, because nobody believes us.

I relate to the mental health stuff she is going through, though I do not have the exact same mental disorder she has. It makes me so sad to know someone as nice as Dodie feels as bad as I feel, if not worse (at times) because of her fame and differences in her life.

This book makes it even more clear how strong and brave Dodie is. It's not easy to share your innermost feelings, let alone with millions of strangers. I do not know if she fully realizes how much of a role model she is to people of all ages. She seems like such a humble person. Of course this is from what I see of her online personality and this book.

One of the things in the book that I liked is how she talked about being able to find humor even during the worst of times. We've got to be able to laugh and sometimes we need that humor to get through tough situations.

She stresses about how important self care is. This is something I really agree with, but often forget, so I am glad she talks about it.

The poetry and song lyrics were a great touch. I also loved the photos and drawings scattered throughout. I can only imagine how pretty the physical book will be.

My final thoughts: If you are a Dodie fan, you might like this! Even if you do not know her, you might relate if you suffer from mental health issues. I do feel this is written for a teenage audience, but who cares about age. I hope all ages can love this and get to know Dodie.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-11-18 10:53
On The Bright Side, I'm Now The Girlfriend of a Sex God by Louise Rennison

** spoiler alert **Mild if any spoilers.

I love this book. It is nostalgic. I read it in high school, older than the main character is. I was 17 when it was published. As an adult, I did notice some things that young me might not have picked up on.

I didn't like how she joked about being suicidal or wanting to kill herself instead of sitting next to P.Green, a girl she calls Nauseating P. Green. Or all the lesbian jokes, especially with the gym teacher. What is with that stereotype? Sure, they were jokes and I know teenagers can be dramatic like that. The Bummer Twins were the ones usually making fun of Georgia and Jas, calling them lesbians when they were caught in compromising situations, like the girls doing the pencil test to see if they needed bras.

Then there is Dave. I liked him. He seemed like a nice boy for the most part, though he moved a bit quick. Do teens that young really move that fast? I did feel bad for Dave. Georgia is 14, but that should be old enough to know better than to play with someone's feelings, at least I would like to hope so.

Georgia is really mean to Jas, her so called best friend. She has a lot of mean thoughts in general about everyone from classmates, teachers and her own parents. I know she is a teen, but really? It did get a little annoying after the millionth time. I would never think about my parents the way she was constantly thinking and treating them, nor would my parents stand for that type of behavior.

Some of the jokes were really funny, even the one I probably shouldn't have laughed at about the Dalai Lama and what she wondered his father was called.

Maybe I've turned into an old prude, but I still think the so called "Sex God" is too old for her and feel it's weird that her mom never seemed to care. Also the thing with the mom and doctor was odd? Was it necessary?

Over all, I really enjoy this book and want to continue to read the series.

I'll say it here, I hope if she does end up with someone in a more serious way, I hope it is not Robbie. She gets wobbly knees with him, but I feel like there is something she feels for Dave, the "Red Herring" What a horrible name to call someone who likes you.

review 2017-11-18 10:21
The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson

So my reasons for DNFing this book the first time were valid; it was not just because of my reading mood or some other factor. This time I wasn't even enjoying the book at all. The first time reading it, I liked the first several chapters and then it started to get boring.

This time, everything was boring and annoying. I DO like Maureen Johnson, but this book does not do it for me. The relationship between Avery and Mel does not feel authentic or even written well at all, whether this is own voices or not. Not only that, their romance and Nina's romance with Steve felt so sudden and on the verge of being instalove.

Not one of the three girls were likeable. Nina was pretty mean about how she thought of other girls, especially her roommate. The girls called people by mean nick names like "Strange so and so" and thought badly of them. There was even a joke about someone they know being a retard. Nina wished her roommate had been taken to a mental hospital. When she first meets Steve, all she cares about is that he's hot. She calls him "crunchy" as in a hippie sort of way, but since he was hot, she could over look that.

I know the word "problematic" is being used a lot in the book community and sometimes I think it gets thrown around all willy nilly, but this book did strike me as problematic in ways. If I were more elegant in explaining how I feel, I could probably go on about the small little things that bugged me.

So to sum up in a not so elegant way, what bugged me: Girl hate (girls hating other girls), unrealistic relationships, instalove, cliche, super cheesy, mean girls, mean/cruel terms being used about other people, Nina's superficial thoughts about Steve, Nina's mean thoughts about her roommate (yes, I know her roommate was unusual, but still...)

Maybe the story gets better? Maybe the characters grow? I don't think I will ever know, because I can't force myself past the first 115 pages for a third time.

*I DNF'd this book a while ago, but wanted to give it another chance, because I enjoyed Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes duology and hoped I would like this the second time around.*

show activity (+)
review 2017-11-18 10:16
Lucy's Book Club For The Lost and Found by Emma Davies

I really want to do this review proper justice. This book was everything. I'm not even kidding one bit. My heart is in my throat right now, there are tears pooling in my eyes and running down my cheeks. This story is about all sorts of love, friendship, family and love between romantic couples, but also about so much more.

The writing style was so easy to read, it flowed so well. It was beautiful. I read the book in one sitting. There were several parts where I had to stop and collect myself because it really evoked strong emotions. There was sadness, there was laughter, bittersweet moments between Lia and her mom. Those scenes really broke me. Utterly heartbreaking.

The relationships were so authentic. The friendships, found families and romantic relationships all came together so naturally. It felt so real. The friendship among the whole group was a breath of fresh air, but I especially loved the female friendship. So many books these days have girls hating on girls for no good reason, but this book had the exact opposite. The friendship had the kind of found family feel to it that I really love to find in some books. They might not be related by blood, but they loved each other regardless.

All the characters were extremely likeable and had distinct personalities.

This book really touched my heart.

I like the title of this story, so my only wish is that there was more of a book club aspect that the title hints at.

The ending is bittersweet, with a touch of hope.

*I got a netgally copy to review*

I talked about this book in a Booktube video here.