logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: not-a-book-review
Load new posts () and activity
quote 2017-01-28 07:35
"Who controls the past," ran the Party slogan, "controls the future: who controls the present controls the present." And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory.
1984 - George Orwell,Erich Fromm

Scary how fiction can sometimes apply to current events, isn't it? With all of the "alternative facts" stuff going through the media, social media included, right now, this quote stuck out to me as being unbelievably relevant. Those in control of the government in the book are seeking to control what is perceived as true through careful control of the past, the present, and the future.

Yes, for the record, I am reading this because many are reading this. I am also reading it because I haven't before and always meant to do so. I think it's an important book, and now is probably a pretty critical time to read and understand anything involving mass control over what we, the general public and perceived plebeians, understand to be true.

Reading is very, very important, whether you want to admit it or not. It allows for the challenging of one's thoughts and opinions, opens the mind up to different ideas, and feeds the brain to keep it from falling into complacency and disuse. Empathy grows with the reading of fiction, as does how we understand the world. Politics have always and will always play a significant role in fiction.

Read as much as you can.

text 2017-01-22 08:15
24in48 Readathon - Hours 3 and 4...

...

...

I'm not gonna make it to the full 24 hours like I wanted to, but I will definitely be finishing this amazing memoir autobiography thing, and soon! I'm going to sleep before I do so, but at least I will have knocked out a great read in a weekend before this thing wraps up. Once I do so, I'll keep reading other books to see how many hours I can read before midnight and continue posting updates.

I've got a few options: Me Before You, The Scribe of Siena, a book of short stories by Virginia Woolf (supposedly a complete collection), and a curious little book called Church of the Divine Duck, which I read a chapter of in mid-December and haven't touched since. This isn't because of lack of interest, mind you.

Nope. This is entirely because of a lack of an attention span on my part. It's honestly somewhat miraculous that I am on the cusp of finishing my fifth book for the year, not counting the book I had to read about 40% of to finish off.

That's all for now, guys. Assuming anybody is reading this, that is. I'll drop a review of Felicia Day's book at some point tomorrow amidst the general turmoil that is going grocery shopping within 50 miles of New York City.

text 2017-01-21 18:59
24in48 Readathon - Hour 2 Progress Report and more Felicia Day
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost): A Memoir - Felicia Day

Oh, I do so adore how my brain short circuits. "Let's take a screenshot of the timer on our phone so we can share that we spent another hour reading."

*closes timer without taking screenshot*

"Excellent. Well-done, me."

On the plus side, I did just spend another hour reading. I'm realizing this is going to be much harder than I thought it was going to because of distractions, like my boyfriend looking over while I'm in the middle of reading a chapter asking if I want to go for a walk. Yes, I do, but give me a bit.

On the reading front, I'm now on Chapter 5 of Felicia Day's fabulous and funny autobiography. She is so fabulously human in her writing and in her actual life, even if she is ten times the genius/prodigy that most people ever will be. My boyfriend even commented that he saw the cover earlier and thought it was probably a funny book, although I don't know how much he knows about Felicia Day. Probably not much.

I think I made a solid choice for my first read of this weekend, though. I don't normally get into celebrity biographies/memoirs/etc. but there are a few I'll gladly make that exception for and she is one of them.

In other news, there's worldwide women's marches going on today and I am so, so proud of those going out there to stand up for women everywhere. I just need to do a better job of avoiding the comments sections, because people can be rather putrid. It's all fuel for my fire, though, and I'll keep reading and learning and fighting.

text 2017-01-21 07:14
24in48 Readathon - Hour 1 Progress Report
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost): A Memoir - Felicia Day

Well, this is it. This weekend I am attempting to spend 24 out of 48 hours reading. I've kicked it off with a one-hour reading session from an autobiography written by the Queen of Geeks herself, Felicia Day. I ADORE her and admire and respect her endlessly, because let's face it: she's unabashedly weird, she's very smart, and she's sickeningly talented and funny. Naturally, she's also pretty, because why not give her everything?

But I digress.

This book is a fun one to kick off the weekend with, despite my headache and weird eye issues. Thankfully, those are finally maybe going away a little bit, which means I should have my vision back properly soon.

Oh god I hope so. It's really hard to read, play video games, and watch things when one eye is blurred to all hell.

Again, I digress.

So far, I'm only two chapters into Felicia Day's rather fabulous autobiography, covering her weird upbringing - it's genuinely weird, you guys, trust me - and how she became so fabulously nerdy. The book has her signature self-deprecating sense of humor within, as well as nerdy jokes and references and plenty of embarrassing pictures of her as a kid/teenager for the reader to enjoy. Thus far, I definitely recommend this to anybody who is so much as a casual, passing fan of hers.

And, because there's some thing with providing proof of my reading if I want to go for the full 24 hours, here's a screenshot to accompany this update:

text 2017-01-20 06:57
24 in 48 Readathon

A few things worth knowing about me:

1) I'm prone to random whims. This is true in terms of jobs I'll apply for, books I'll read, and even one time a vacation I booked. To my credit, my boyfriend had agreed to take said vacation, I just had no patience and didn't let something silly like an actual conversation to decide on a date stop me from going ahead.

2) I really like to read and tend to not be limited in what I read. If it sounds interesting, I'll try it.

3) Have I mentioned the things about being prone to random whims? Because I am.

4) I'm nowhere near as funny as I think I am. Probably. So you're probably not laughing right now and just think I'm kind of weird, but that's ok. We'll forgive each other.

5) I am 100% uncomfortable with certain events currently taking place in the USA. You can probably guess what it is I'm uncomfortable with, given that a large portion of the population currently feels the same way.

That said, I have decided to sign up for the 24in48 Readathon - https://24in48.com/ - which is happening this weekend. Part of this is my desire to take my mind off the state of things (see #5 above). Some weird part of my brain tells me reading is a great way to separate myself from how dumb I think the world is, and that part may be onto something.

Another thing is simply that I felt like it BECAUSE of how much I love to read. Since I'll have a full 48 hours to get my 24 hours-worth of reading in, it will be easy enough for me to read as much as I say I'm going to. And I'm honestly looking forward to this, because, again, I love to read and I have a lot of books I want to read. I'm not sure what I'll read yet, but that's ok.

And finally, I feel like bombarding my almost non-existent followers with posts and updates that I find funny, but you probably don't. That's okay, honestly, because I'm writing this book blog thing for me, not you. If I feel like overwhelming you with posts, I will, and I'll have fun doing it.

That said, go sign up! Join me in the madness and we can read half the weekend away together.