logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-07 14:35
Review: Summoned to Thirteenth Grave(Charley Davidson #13) by Darynda Jones
Summoned To Thirteenth Grave - Darynda Jones

Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the final installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series!

Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper extraordinaire, is pissed. She’s been kicked off the earthly plain for eternity – which is the appropriate amount of time to make a person starkraving mad. But someone’s looking out for her, and she’s allowed to return after a mere hundred years in exile. Is it too much to hope for that not much has changed? Apparently it is. Bummer.

She’s missed her daughter, she’s missed Reyes, and Beep, but now that she’s back on earth, it’s time to put to rest burning questions that need answers. What happened to her mother? How did she really die? Who killed her? And are cupcakes or coffee the best medicine? It all comes to a head in an epic showdown between good and evil in this final smart and hilarious novel.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Well this is it … the last book. A bitter sweet good bye to a great series that I loved so much.

Of course being the last book in the series it is hard to review without spoiling it but I will try and make it short and to the point.

We start off with Charley still being banished but shortly in, she gets freed and we get a steamy welcome home with Reyes. He informs her shortly after what is happening and they have limited to save the world, but like all the previous book that is not enough so Charley gets a few more things to deal with, including a possible serial murder on the loose.   In order to solve one mystery she must find out what really happened the night she was born and we soon discover that there is a lot we didn’t know.

To be honest it did not feel like the last book until we get three quarters into the book. It just feels like most of the previous books and we get her and her gang together working on saving the world once again…

Likewise with humor, we get plenty of humor throughout the book even being one of the darker or scarier books in the series and let’s not forget the romance that plays a part of it.

About at the 75% into the book we start to get the, this is it, this is the final book vibe. It is do or die time, literally.   Also this is full of surprises, some of the BIGGEST twists are happening in this book. There were moments I was crying and then like …”wait … what?!?!” a minute later. Even after finishing the book I still was not over some of the surprises or shocks I should say we learned.

Everything gets tied up in its very own fitting way, depending on who or what….

I shed plenty of tears reading this book, some happy tears others not so much but overall I was happy and satisfied with how it ended …… even though the last line of the book about drove me …. Crazy.

I will miss Charley and crew so much and still am sad this is the final book, but I hope we will see them again sometime in maybe novella or maybe even a spin off.

Overall, I really loved this book and thought it was a great ending to an even better series. Farewell my friends, I will miss you….

I rate it full 5 ★

Buy Links

Will be available January 15, 2019

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/11/07/review-summoned-to-thirteenth-gravecharley-davidson-13-by-darynda-jones
video 2018-11-06 14:21
The Darkest Part of the Forest - Holly Black
Insanity - Cameron Jace
Figment (Insanity Book 2) - Cameron Jace
The Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkien
review 2018-11-05 16:23
Review: Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass #7) by Sarah J. Maas
Kingdom of Ash - Sarah J. Maas

Aelin has risked everything to save her people―but at a tremendous cost. Locked within an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will as she endures months of torture. Aware that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, though her resolve begins to unravel with each passing day…

With Aelin captured, Aedion and Lysandra remain the last line of defense to protect Terrasen from utter destruction. Yet they soon realize that the many allies they’ve gathered to battle Erawan’s hordes might not be enough to save them. Scattered across the continent and racing against time, Chaol, Manon, and Dorian are forced to forge their own paths to meet their fates. Hanging in the balance is any hope of salvation―and a better world.

And across the sea, his companions unwavering beside him, Rowan hunts to find his captured wife and queen―before she is lost to him forever.

As the threads of fate weave together at last, all must fight, if they are to have a chance at a future. Some bonds will grow even deeper, while others will be severed forever in the explosive final chapter of the Throne of Glass series.

This book took be a while to finish, not only because it is so big but because I wanted to take my time with it.

Being it the last book and not wanting to spoil it for anyone I will make it fairly short.

This book was one of my favorite series ending, it left me feeling really satisfied. But don’t let that fool you before we get that we are sent on roller coaster ride from hell…… The ups and downs in this book about killed me. I laughed one moment just to be sobbing the next page. It was quite stressful.

I did like how everything wrapped up …. For the most part anyway, there was one thing I would have loved to see more but I guess there is always something we want more of in a series finale.

We see some people we have not seen since book one, we also come back to the spot it all began and it is crazy what a wild ride this series has been. Everyone has grown and changed so much, we met so, so many people along the way. This series has quiet the big cast of characters and each one played a part in this last book.

Everyone paid a price in this war, some more than others.

We meet the crew months after the ending of Empire of Storms and with that Tower of Dawn. The groups are scattered all over the continents, each fighting for them and for a better and with that getting rid of Erawan and Maeve  but of course that is not easy , not easy at all.

I love how far Celina/ Aeline has come since we first met her, even with all she has been through she still won’t give up for herself but mainly for her people. I really loved her in this book and my heart broke a few times for her. Especially in the beginning of the book.

Rowan, well he was Rowan in all his glory and sorrow and I loved his journey throughout the series. The good, the bad, the ugly and the steamy.

Dorian, I was never really team Dorian when it came to the OG team, Celina, Chaol and him, but I really enjoyed him the last few books and even more in this. Some things are changing for him, while I was not really sure what to think of it at first I really ended up liking it.

Chaol, he used to me my man, I was always team Chaol and I still am in a way, but not as much as I used to be. His journey changed so much in the last few books, not to be worse just different he is defiantly not the captain of the guard we met in book one anymore. I don’t want to say he is weaker or whines more he is just …. Different and has different priorities than Aelin.

Lysandra was once again one of my favorites in this book. She was a trooper and hero and gave so much, her character also grew so much since we first met her.

Elide is also someone we met later on in the series but ended up being vital to the story and the finale , while I was never her biggest fan, I liked her a lot. And the shitty treatment she got from people not only throughout the series but this book was sad and hard to read at times and defiantly not fair.

Iyrene was someone I was not sure about at first but ended up really likening. She just had a way to sneak into people’s hearts as she does also here with everyone she meets.

Manon, my girl Manon … man…. She was someone I really didn’t get her the beginning and sort of skimped over but ended up loving her so much. I think she, besides Aelin had the biggest growth throughout the series since we met her. I really would love to see a series just about the witches in this world …. Not necessarily Manon but just all the witch tribes in general.

Aedion and Lorcan,  I both loved and wanted to throttle at the same time. Yes , they were stressed but so was everyone else. Both just were little assholes at times and then again oh sooo sweet.

Of course there are so many more people in this book and I’m sure I’m forgetting someone but there was just too many and many things happening, plus it is hard not to spoil stuff.

One of the things I liked the most was, that we not only get a short epilogue after the final battle. No, we get a really nice amount of stuff afterwards to get a good glimpse of everything and everyone that made it. And how and what everyone is dealing with.

Well I guess I didn’t make it short after all, lol. Overall I LOVED this book and how it all ended and I will really miss the characters and the world. But also be warned there are many heartbreaking moments in this book. Some, I personally not sure I will ever get over.   But we also get snark and laughter and many happy tears along the way and the end will make you hopefully feel happy and satisfied. I rate this book a full 5★ as well as the series, of course some are better books than others but overall it was an epic journey.

Image result for epic gif

Buy Links

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/11/05/review-kingdom-of-ash-throne-of-glass-7-by-sarah-j-maas
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-11-02 23:00
Boy Meets Boy
Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan

Spoiler Alert: He fucks up and still gets the boy.

BOY MEETS BOY REVIEW BY DAVID LEVITHAN REVIEW

First thing I need to get out of my system: This book is so cute...

Second thing I need to get out of my system: I wish I could find a boy easy like Paul did... Like come on, he had two boys liking him and I'm struggling to get one boy to like me, like dayum boy.

Third: This book is written so good, but this is David Levithan we're talking about here so that was expected.

This book is about a boy named Paul, he used to date this boy named Kyle who wasn't sure about this sexual orientation, so when things started getting serious between them, he decided to end the relationship with Paul and started dating a girl to try prove a point.

Paul was look at books when a gorgeous boy named Noah noticed him, they felt the connection so quick and before you know it, they're dating each other.

Kyle begins to question his ways and wants to have a relationship with Paul and kisses him. This puts Paul and Noah in a hard place. While all this is going Pauls friends are going through some shit as well, like dating idiots that don't give a shit, having parents that are praying the gay to leave which is wrong and many other things.

This book made me laugh at times and also question the parents that think it's okay to say they love their son for who he is but then pray for him because he's gay.

Overall this book is so good! Highly recommend this book.

A Strong 4/5

-Sarah.

review 2018-11-02 21:13
Salt for Air Spolier Free Review
Salt For Air - M.C. Frank

"Breathe, dammit..."

I'm not sure if I can breathe after reading this story. Salt for Air by M.C. Frank is about teenage fanfiction writer Ellie is astonished to encounter a merman asking her to save his life. It's a story not about love but about death and loss. It's a story about trying to survive, whether in this reality or another.

This book was a whirlpool (see what I did there?) of emotions. One second everything would be fine and dandy (or at least as fine and dandy as it could get in this story) and then the next splash! (I'm not stopping with these water puns) everything would go to hell. I rarely got a minute to catch my breathe, but that was fine. It just made me want to read more and more. I've read enough of Frank's writing to become familiar with her tone and I was happy to fall back into those lyrical, poetic pages. That effect just made me glide through this story so much easier and something that I really appreciated.

"You're it."

Everybody's 'it' and by 'it' I mean the characters that I grew to care for in a bit over 200 pages. There's more that I won't mention because of spoilers so I'll just talk about the main two. There's Ellie, of course, the main female character who's point of view the novel is in. Placing the book in her point of view made me really feel for her being able to see her innermost thoughts. In particular there was one scene that my heart literally broke for her and had me saying "oh no no no no" when it happened. Our spectacular merman is our other main character who, well, it was hopeless for me not to fall in love with. Of course there were times I wanted to slap him across the face but near the end of the novel I was crying his name nonetheless.

M.C. Frank never fails to disappoint with endings and Salt for Air is no exception. There were at least two points I thought 'what else could happen' and other things happen they did. But it wasn't meaningless run-on at the end of the story like other novels I've read, it was substance, scenes that needed to happen or the story wouldn't have been so fulfilling at the end.

This book takes a spin on the ever-popular greek mythology and revitalizes it in a new way. The myths in this story aren't the cut-and-dry definitions that you can find in any textbook. They're unique and unexpected. And don't even get me started on the descriptions of the mer-creatures because they're just beautiful. I wish I was an artist so I could draw them, but the gorgeous image in my head will just have to suffice.

I'd recommend Salt for Air to anyone who wants to read an amazing story about fighting back and taking back what is yours. Oh, and also anyone who likes mythology and mermaids too. You'll enjoy it as well.

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel by the author in exchange for my honest review*