logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-book
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-18 16:44
Air By Ryan Gattis
Air - Ryan Gattis Air - Ryan Gattis

I have very mixed feelings about this one. Grey, a 17 year old boy has to move to Baltimore City after his mother's death. There he befriends a motorcycle riding group of kids who do dangerous stunts to antagonize the police.

And that's what I didn't like. How much these boys were trying to make a point and were doing all this trick riding JUST to antagonize the cops. It ticked me off. And felt a little unrealistic. I'm from Maryland, and while I don't live in the city I think the cops there have a lot more to worry about than teenagers riding dirt bikes.

And while I get what the author is trying to do here I think the point gets a little murky. I would have liked to know a little more about the main character and less about the bike riding (again, why?).

It has really good reviews, so this may be another one of those its not for me but it might be for you type of books.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-09-18 00:40
Book Revew: Salem Falls
Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult

Book: Salem Falls

Author: Jodi Picoult

Genre: Fiction/Crime/Small Town Life

Summary: A handsome stranger comes to the sleepy New England town of Salem Falls in hopes of burying his past: Once a teacher at a girls' prep school, Jack St. Bride was destroyed when a student's crush sparked a powder keg of accusation. Now, washing the dishes for Addie Peabody at the Do-Or-Diner, he slips quietly into his new routine, and Addie finds this unassuming man fitting easily inside her heart. But amid the rustic calm of Salem Falls, a quartet of teenage girls harbors dark secrets - and they maliciously target Jack with a shattering allegation. Now, at the center of a modern-day witch hunt, Jack is forced once again to proclaim his innocence: to a town searching for answers, to a justice system where truth becomes a slippery concept written in shades of gray, and to the woman who has come to love him. -Simon and Schuster, 2001.

review 2017-09-13 16:15
Book Review Banzai: The Unknown Author's Ultimate Guide to Getting Amazon Reviews - Jason Ladd,Julie Gwinn,Tom Morkes

Useful information about how authors should approach book bloggers to get their books read and reviewed online.
As a reviewer I'm happy when an author solicits their book for me to read. Hate when they just assume I will read it because they sent it to me. I read a ton, over 700 books this year, some are child, cookbooks, gardening, real 400 page books, wide variety of subjects.
I want to know a bit about the book then I'll decide if I want to read it and post reviews to about 15 different social media sites. Don't push it down my throat, ask me first. Always like a more personal letter, about something we have in common, even weather or geographical location.
The author knows what a blogger is and what an author is and how to match them together.

review 2017-09-11 00:49
Book Review: Ravencliffe
Ravencliffe - Carol Goodman

Book: Ravencliffe

Author: Carol Goodman

Genre: Teen/Fantasy Fiction/Romance/Sequel

Summary: Avaline Hall is no ordinary girl. She's a student at the Blythewood Academy, an elite boarding school that trains young women to defend human society from the shadowy forces that live among us. After the devastating events of her first year at Blythewood, Ava is eager to reunite with her friends - and with Raven, the compelling but elusive winged boy who makes her pulse race. She soon discovers, though, that the sinister Judicus van Drood hasn't finished wreaking havoc on Blythewood - and wants to use Ava and her classmates to attack a much bigger target. Ava's the only one with any hope of stopping van Drood. But to scuttle his plans, she must reveal her deepest secret to everyone at Blythewood. What's she willing to sacrifice to do what's right: Her school? Her love? Or her life? -Viking/Penguin, 2014.

review 2017-09-10 23:50
Book Review: The Drowning Tree
The Drowning Tree - Carol Goodman

Book: The Drowning Tree

Author: Carol Goodman

Genre: Fiction/Thriller/Mystery

Summary: Juno McKay intended to avoid her fifteenth-year college reunion, but she can't resist the chance to see her life-long friend Christine Webb. Though Juno cringes at the inevitable talk of her troubled personal life - and the husband who ended up in a mental hospital only two years after their wedding - she endures the gossip for her friend's sake. While lecturing at the Penrose College library, Christine shocks the rapt crowd by revealing little-known details about the lives of two sisters - members of the influential family whose name the college bears. Christine's revelations throw shadows of betrayal, lust, and insanity over the family's distinguished facade. After her speech, Christine seems distant, uneasy, and sad. The next day, she disappears. Juno is alarmed and begins to peel away the layers of secrets and madness that surround the Penrose dynasty. She fears that Christine discovered something damning about them, perhaps something worth killing for. And Juno is determined to find it - for her friend and for herself. -Ballantine Books, 2004.