logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: train
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-01-05 18:44
The burden of guilt
Strangers on a Train - Patricia Highsmith

In the tradition of Crime and Punishment, this book concentrates more on the psychological impact of guilt on an otherwise healthy mind than on the murders. Charles is a disturbing yet believable villain, while Guy makes an interesting anti-hero. Few of the other characters are developed beyond two dimensions but somehow that doesn't impact negatively on the story.

review 2019-12-12 00:07
Freight Train
Freight Train - Donald Crews,Donald Crews

When I started reading Freight Train I could not figure out why it was on so many best of lists. Then I hit the middle and I definitely got it.  Yes, yes, yes. So give the book a chance if you haven't read it. It's surprisingly creative and fun and solid in the concepts.

review 2019-12-09 23:00
GHOST TRAIN by Stephen Laws, narrated by Hannibal Hills
Ghost Train - Hannibal Hills,Valancourt Books,Stephen Laws

GHOST TRAIN was a blast from the past!

Originally written in the 80's, when I first read the synopsis of this book I knew I had to have it. It appeared on offer from the folks at AUDIOBOOK BOOM in exchange for my honest feedback and here it is:

I loved the story-it had all the excitement, that awesome over the top 80's cheese, gory deaths, and excellent characters. (That last one is something that a lot of horror from that time period lacked.) I loved almost everything about it, except for that weird, kind of out of place exorcism, but that was easily overlooked amidst all the action.

I must admit that this narrator didn't quite do it for me. The book was fast paced and fun, but at those exciting moments, a few of the character voices grated on my nerves. Other than that though, this novel was a heck of a lot of 80's horror fun and I recommend it!

Recommended-especially to fans of bloody, fast-paced 80's horror!

Get your copy here: GHOST TRAIN

*Thanks to Audiobook Boom and the narrator for the Audible code, in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*

review 2019-11-23 19:23
Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

The prologue begins with an opening line reminiscent of A Christmas Carol: "First of all, it was October, a rare time for boys."

Forty or so years ago I read this and identified with the boys, of course I did. This time I couldn't. So it was just a bunch of wordplay and monologuing and there was no horror to it anywhere, just an ad for an imaginary place I wouldn't be welcome. He did say some nice things about libraries, though, so I'm giving it a couple of stars.

Library copy

review 2019-09-30 14:37
THE LAST TRAIN TO LONDON - Meg Waite Clayton
THE LAST TRAIN TO LONDON by Meg Waite Clayton
Truus, a Dutch woman, works to save children from sure death in Nazi Germany in the run up to WWII. This story is based on the real Truus Wijsmuller and the Kindertransport. Well written and researched it will live with you long after you finish reading. While the subject is terrifying, the book itself is full of hope, love, bravery, altruism and redemption.
The fiction part of the book details life in Nazi Germany for two young people, one Christian and one Jewish. Fifteen year old Stephan works hard on writing plays, stories and poems. He idolizes the author Stefan Zweig, whom his very wealthy Jewish family has actually met. Zophie-Helene’s mother is a well-known newspaper journalist who fearlessly writes columns disparaging Hitler.
When these two stories collide, the tension rises palpably. Both families struggle to get their children out of Germany and to relative safety in England as the Nazi web comes ever closer to the families. Meanwhile Truus takes ever more daring risks to save the children of Germany.
Book groups will find much to discuss. This would be a good book for a parent child book group, a group interested in WWII and one devoted to learning more of ordinary people who do extraordinary things.
5 of 5 stars