logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Non-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-23 18:01
Review: The Night Ferry (Konrad Simonsen #5) by Lotte & Soren Hammer
The Night Ferry - Lotte Hammer

Sixteen children and four adults are killed in a devastating boat crash in Copenhagen. Detective Chief Superintendent Konrad Simonsen is called in, only to discover that this was no accident and that one of the passengers has a very personal connection to the homicide team.

Reeling from this revelation and not knowing who to trust, Simonsen follows a trail that eventually leads him to Bosnia and a network of criminal misconduct. All evidence points towards one shady figure: a high-ranking army specialist with a suspicious past. But the more Simonsen digs, the further the truth slips from his grasp.

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

When I was offered this book for review I thought it sounded interesting. And I’m happy to report that it was and even more so then I thought.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and everything about it. I enjoyed the setting, Denmark, which was a nice change of pace and I enjoyed it to learn more about it, I only been there once. I loved the characters, the bad, the good and the ugly , we get a nice mix of them and of course I really enjoyed the story which kept me glued to the page and kept me up late to finish it. I couldn’t put it down and just had to know who, where and what ;)

The pacing of the book was great most of the times there were only a few times it felt a bit too slow or maybe I was just impatient. I also should mention that while I really enjoyed the setting it also took me a couple chapters to get used to it and learn about their laws as I went a long. But it was a pretty smooth getting used to as the book just sucks you further and further into the plot.

This was my first book in this series but I think I will go and read some of the other books in the series I also will keep my eye out for future books be the authors.  If you a fan of murder mystery and thrillers I think you will enjoy this book.

I rate it 4 ★

Image result for ship in fog gif

Will be available July 3rd 2018

Amazon *** B&N  *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/06/23/review-the-night-ferry-konrad-simonsen-5-by-lotte-soren-hammer
photo 2018-06-23 13:17
Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2018/06/a-place-for-us-by-fatima-farheen-mirza-book-review.html
review 2018-06-23 00:56
Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist

A trip down reading memory lane with one of the countless inspiring quotes from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist:

Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is a perfect example of the saying ‘good things come in small packages’. The simple little tale conveys a very powerful and inspirational message. First published in Portuguese in 1988, it is considered a modern classic. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2010/05/book-review-alchemist-by-paulo-coelho.html
text 2018-06-22 16:31
Reading progress update: I've read 370 out of 454 pages.
The Girlfriend - Michelle Francis

These women are horrible creatures!"

review 2018-06-22 16:12
Strong ‘girl-power’ message, as well as one of loyalty and friendship, in this exciting adventure on the high seas in ‘Seafire’
Seafire - Natalie Jane Parker

This book about a ship full of fierce, brave, loyal women ready to take on any battle on the high seas, is definitely an adventure with a strong girl-power message (as promised).

Captain Caledonia Styx takes charge of the ship Mors Navis after losing her family to a corrupt and vicious warlord, Aric Athair, and his fleet of ships who he fills with ‘Bullets’, boys and men who he doses up with the drug Silt. Caledonia vows to avenge her loss, and all those of her ‘sisters’, and leads them on mission to find her two brothers, who she finds are still alive (and also now Bullets), after capturing one ‘boy’ called Orna.

The characters on the Mors Navis are tight friends and fighters, loyal to the end, and they are all written with fascinating idiosyncrasies (and names!). What is so great about this book in general is that this is a story about family, friendships, the importance of bonds and loyalty, and how that carries these self-professed sisters through such adversity together.

Parker has written the book with a lot of sailing lingo (I just read that she grew up in a Navy family), so that took a bit of getting adjusted to, but is totally necessary for it to feel authentic. It’s interesting that she has chosen to have the book read as though it’s in some sort of past, but it’s written with talk of the ‘Old World’ and there is some interesting tech, ie the electromagnetic field around the Bullet ship.

The conflict that Caledonia has within herself, that makes her so hardened, is most interesting; I struggled with it a little though, in connecting with her, but it would be appropriate since that’s how it would be in reality. Other characters are also just as fascinating, and Parker will hopefully develop these further when this adventure continues. The pacing was a bit slow in parts, but when I think about that, I think about how the crew has to actually wait as they sail on the high seas, and would spend time preparing to reach their next port or venture.

Overall, this is an exciting take on a sea adventure, and I expect the reader will end up gunning for the crew of Mors Navis like I did. And unsurprisingly, the ending has left the reader with a major cliffhanger.