logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Non-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-03-23 12:25
♪Some of My FAVORITE Things♪ (Part 3)

The idea for this series of posts was inspired by Lashaan at Bookidote. He asked what some of my favorite books were during my initial start of my Malazan Journey.  That got me thinking, as I do have a “favorite” tag that I use in Calibre. So I did some exhaustive investigating [typing in “favorite” and hitting enter in Calibre is a real workout!] and out of the roughly 2900 books that I’ve read since 2000, there are around 300 that earned the Favorite moniker. There are a bunch of Favorites that are duplicates, as I’ve obviously re-read some of my Favorites time and time again.

However, listing 300+ books all in one post seemed like information overload. Therefore I have decided to do a much smaller list each month until the end of the year. You will get to see what I like in manageable doses and I get “thought free” posts.   Win-Win all around. I’m simply listing them Alphabetical by Author with just a word or four attached.

Dave Duncan

Sky Swords
The Gilded Chain
Lord of the Fire Lands

These were the original King’s Blades books and quite the tale they were. Considering that the  story is circular due to some funky time stuff, I am looking forward to re-reading these at some point in the future

David Drake

Lord of the Isles

I actually enjoyed the whole Lord of the Isles series and not just the first book, but didn’t feel like listing all 9 books. If you like the first book, you’ll like the the rest of the series, as Drake pretty much cut-n-pastes for all 9 books. Magic and violence in a fantasy setting.

David Eddings

Enchanters’ End Game
Magician’s Gambit
Castle of Wizardry
Queen of Sorcery
Pawn of Prophecy

I came to the Belgariad in highschool and have loved it ever since. In theory, I love his Elenium (Diamond Throne, Ruby Knight & Sapphire Rose) more, because it deals with one knight, but in all honesty, it doesn’t hold up as well. Still good, just not as good.

DC Comics/Dan Jurgens

Return of Superman
World Without a Superman
Death of Superman
Superman/Doomsday Hunter/Prey

This whole story arc in the comics world is what cemented my love for Supes. It also etched into my mind that Superman looked like this. He’s a man who has gone through a lot, he’s not some boy [I’m looking at you New52 Superman] fresh faced and off the farm.

sfpep133

Dennis Schmidt

Way-Farer

I ran across Way-Farer when I was in middle school. I thought it was a standalone story for over a decade until I went on a road trip to Newfoundland and in a little used bookstore ran across the sequel. Turns out there were 4 books in total. Sadly, while I enjoyed the rest, they just didn’t have the magic of the first. But swords and zen in a science fiction setting? Yes please.

Don Pendleton

Tennessee Smash
Acapulco Rampage

Pendleton originally penned 37 novels about a vietnam vet who returned to the United States to hunt down the mafia who had killed his family. The series was called Mack Bolan: The Executioner. It is pretty pulpy 60’s, 70’s and 80’s stuff but these 2 stood out. The series did continue, but under various ghost author’s names.

Edward Roe

His Sombre Rivals

Published in 1883, this book was one of the finalists for my Best Book of 2015.  A story of loyalty, friendship, unrequited love and honor, I couldn’t have asked for a better story.

Evan Currie

Heirs of Empire
An Empire Asunder

Currie has written a bunch, but this series, The Scourwind Legacy, is probably his best to date. One of those Indie’s who has proved me wrong and I’m glad of that. Space Opera and super soldiers.

Frank Herbert

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

What can I say? I am going to be re-reading the Dune Chronicles this year. It is epic in scope and time and scale. Dune is probably one of the finest books I’ll ever read.

George MacDonald

The Princess and the Goblins
The Princess and Curdie

The Princess and Curdie was the first book I owned as a child that was in hardcover. I bought it in 2nd grade and it has not left my side yet. A great children’s duology.

So there is March’s Favorites. Life is going to be busy for the rest of the month [car stuff, etc] so I suspect my posting schedule will be rather erratic at best.

dog_reading_bio_book-wide

1. Some of My Favorite Things I
  2. Some of My Favorite Things II
text 2017-03-19 16:11
♫My Little Po-- *ahem* TBR♫

Someone said they had a big tbr…

biggerlist

I am not a List Aficionado,  but I  like lists. I have my Favorite lists, my TBR lists [and my TBR is a list of books I am actually going to read, not just a list of books I might someday, sometime, maybe perhaps, get around to reading]. I make grocery lists. I make Wish Lists on Amazon. I do the schedule for Children’s Story for church. I make lists of my Magic: The Gathering cards.

So to celebrate lists, I figured I’d post what is currently on my Kindle. That way you can see what is on my TBR for the next 6-12 months. When I finish one series, I simply replace it with another from my Calibre TBR list. Calibre is a fine piece of free ebook managing software. It is also where I keep my reviews offline. The numbers in parentheses are the number of books I have in that series that I still need to read. So without further ado, here’s a list of series I’m reading:

Dread Empire  by Glen Cook [3]

8. Lord of Light
  9. Indomitable
  10. A Fire Upon the Deep
  11. United States of Japan Currently Reading

The nice thing about having such a variety of series is that it takes me 6-8 weeks to cycle through them all, so I never feel like I’m reading something stale. And as you can see, several series only have 1, or 2, books left, so then I just replace them, thus continuing the cycle of fresh reading. The other bonus that it has for me, is that I don’t have to “choose” what book to read next. I simply read the next book of the next series. Back in ’11 or ’12 I tried to do the whole “read whatever the heck I feel like at the moment” and it ended up as a disaster. This type of thing definitely doesn’t work for everyone and I’d be very hesitant to recommend it, but it works for me and how I read.

Now here’s a funny Cyanide & Happiness comic strip about lists to end this post:

list

bookstooge
ps, I am always available for a little bank-robbing, IF, you can guarantee that the cops will show up and we’ll go out in a blaze of gunfire and glory. Cops are negotiable, as I will settle for private security, mercenaries, aliens or even super-heroes, but the Guns & Glory are non-negotiable.

text 2017-03-18 12:04
Got'dem Manga Blues!

I don't know what it is, but I just haven't felt like reading manga recently. I skipped this week's Manga Monday and I'll probably be skipping the next one, or two, as well. All of which is really just an excuse to write this post and post this picture:

Feel the blue...

I have a feeling today is going to be "one of those" days. Bookstooge out.

bookstooge

text 2017-03-12 14:46
Don Quixote: Part II: Chapters 1-4
Don Quixote de la Mancha (Oxford World's Classics) - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra,Charles Jarvis,E.C. Riley

Up to page 515

Italics are what I penciled in the margins

The block quotes are quotes from the book.

Everything else are just my thoughts as I’m typing along here

Preface

In which Cervantes tells us why he wrote Part II. A rambling couple of pages of no significance.

...I know very well what the temptations of the devil are, and that one of the greatest is, the putting it into a man's head that can write and print a book, which shall procure him as much fame as money, and as much money as fame:

Ok, so the indie attitude is as least 400 years old. I give up...

Chapter 1

In which it is evident that Quixote is not better and is as loony as ever.

'That is true', quoth the priest; who being delighted to hear him talk so wildly and extravagantly,

I am getting whiplash from Quixote's friends. One minute they're super concerned and bringing him home in a bloody cage, the next they're encouraging him in his madness. Oy vey!

Chapter 2

In which Sancho reunites with Quixote and in the process of telling him what the villagers think of him, fires up Quixote's imagination. Great.

In the meantime, tell me, friend friend Sancho, what do folks say of me about the town?

Glory hound!

Chapter 3

In which a student/professor, who is a fan of Quixote's, comes to visit and they talk, inciting Quixote to go back to his Knight Errantry ways.

and historians, who are fond of venting falsehoods, should be burnt like coiners of false money.

Quixote sure changed his tune. Used to be that the books of Knight Errantry were truer than the Bible

...in order to the compiling histories, or books of any kind whatever, a man had need of a great deal of judgement and a mature understanding;

...not withstanding which, there are those, who compose books, and toss them out into the world like fritters!

Ha, sounds like Kindle Unlimited!

Chapter 4

In which Quixote is in bad company [Sancho and the Professor] and falls prey to his delusions of Knight Errantry once again.

...if this master of mine had taken my counsel, we had ere now been in the field, redressing grievances, and righting wrongs, as is the practice and usage of good knights-errant.'

Why do Quixote's friends the barber and the priest, along with Quixote's niece and housemaid, even allow Sancho into the house? The man eggs him on and with the professor, Quixote doesn't stand a chance of thinking straight.

They agreed upon this, and that they should set out eight days after. Don Quixote enjoined the bachelor to keep it secret, especially from the priest and Master Nicholas, and from his niece and housekeeper, that they might not obstruct his honourable and valorous purpose. All which Carrassco promised...

Bad company indeed!