Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-19 03:35
Quick, but repetitive story
Jack's Magical Beanstalk and the Jeweled Grotto - Pablo Michaels

Short read, part of a series. The first third of this story is also in the Prelude to Jack's Magical Beanstalk. The rest of the story is about Jack and Sam helping Sam's family. Danger everywhere but love wins out.

I received a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-03-19 03:30
Brief rundown of the story so far...
Prelude to Jack's Magical Beanstalk and Sam's Quandary - Pablo Michaels

A quick read, following the Jack and the Beanstalk tale. Jack meets and falls in love with Sam. There are adventures, danger, and smiles. The story did need more emotion to better like Jack and Sam.

I reached a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-03-18 21:20
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle
A Wrinkle in Time (The Time Quintet #1) - Anna Quindlen,Madeleine L'Engle

Last weekend, the movie adaptation for A Wrinkle in Time was released in theaters here in America. And after hearing about the great representation it contained, I wanted to go see it and support the film on opening weekend. However, I am a person who loves to read the book first before watching the film. So I woke up early on the morning of Friday March 9, 2018 and read the first book in Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quintet before I left to watch the movie later that day. It was quite the experience, let me tell you that.

The book follows the main character, Meg, who clearly has a lot of self-esteem issues. She sees herself as plain and boring and stupid. She also tends to have a real bad attitude problem. As the story progresses, she learns that her missing father is lost through various dimensions and it's up to her, her younger brother Charles Wallace, and a school friend named Calvin to go along with three "heavenly" beings to rescue him.

The story itself is interesting enough. I really like the imagination L'Engle created throughout her books. She made it scientific, whimsical, and bizarre. I was fascinated with the explanations about how the "wrinkles" work and what it means when it does. The plot was exciting and the true identity of "IT" was horrifying to say the least. I really enjoyed reading about how the science works in this world.

What I didn't enjoy as much was her characters. Let's start with Meg. I understand she is going through her adolescent years and having her father missing really messed with her self-esteem issues, but she was infuriating! She complained left and right, she was mean for no real reason other than because she had a short temper, and she was so immature when she finally found her father that she blamed HIM for all the "bad" things that happened to her and her brother. I know she's young but that's no excuse to be a complete jerk to the people who are trying to help you. That care about you. I'm so glad "movie" Meg is a lot more tolerable. (More on this later.)

Calvin is another character that I couldn't stand in the book. He shows up out of no where, insults Meg, and can be a snob at times. And we're supposed to believe that Meg finds him attractive so it's okay he treats her like crap? Really? Oh, not to mention it was because a boy paid attention to her so she started to feel better about herself. Give me a break. He was a jerk and I didn't like him one bit. Once again, so glad "movie" Calvin is not like that. (More on this later.)

Last character I want to talk about is Charles Wallace. He's basically one of the few characters from the book I actually liked. He has this "other worldly" presence about him. He knows more than is being told and I found him so fascinating. I love the intelligence he contained. I wanted to learn more about him! I guess I have to keep reading the series in order to get that information. X3 His movie version was good, but he came off more as a child than some "other being." It's not a bad rendition of the character. Just a different one.

Basically, this is one of those cases where the movie, in my opinion, is better than the book. I know! Blasphemy! But that's just how I feel. The book leaves a lot to be desired. I just wasn't attached to any of them by the end of it. Whereas the movie, I love how the characters were portrayed in the movie. Meg is so complex. She has self-doubt and doesn't think highly of herself, but she's not mean for no reason, she's not a hateful person like she is in the book. She is compassionate and understanding and she learns and grows throughout her adventures. I loved her relationship with her brother and how far she was willing to go for him. I love that she is a mix child in the movie (in the book, she's white) and how normal it is to have a family like this. I love that.

I also much more prefer Calvin in the movie than the book. In the movie, he's kind and charming. He treats Meg with respect. He never talks down to her and he never insults her. He's there to support her and be her friend. AND he's not the "cure-all" for all of Meg's problems. She still needs to deal with her own demons. It's just nice that she has a friend to support her whilst she does so.

Oh! And the "heavenly" beings of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which were so much more enjoyable in the movie than the book. Especially Mrs. Which. Mrs. Which in the book kinda shows up, tells the kids what to do, then leaves again. In the movie, she's a sort of support to Meg. She helps her, or tries to, see the beauty of who she is and I thought that was a great message to show to kids.

I am in love with the beauty of this film on multiple levels.

The one thing I did not really like about the film was the lack of plot. My favorite thing about the book was how eerie Camazotz was and what went on there. Not to mention how horrifying IT was. But the movie didn't focus on it. It focus on the message of having confidence in yourself, about the love of a family, and doing the right thing no matter what. All those are great messages and I don't dislike the movie for that, I just wanted to see a little more of what made the book interesting for me.

All-in-all, I think you should read the book. It's pretty interesting when it comes to the science portion and when they get to Camazotz. However, the book can get a bit... preachy so keep that in mind when reading it. But once you do read it, definitely go see the movie. It's a beautifully stunning, well-told story about family and love. Kids NEED to see this movie. It's absolutely wonderful.

text 2018-03-16 15:42
Question - Advanced Reader Reviews?

I'm sorry I haven't posted any reviews in a long while. I've been flooded with advance readers and I only have a month to read each one from the time I get them. (I'm reading them electronically and they expire.)

I usually don't post my reviews of the advanced readers I get, but would that be something you would like to see? I have about 6 manuscripts I need to read and I'm almost done with one of them so if you want to see what I'm reading before it publishes, let me know!

review 2018-03-14 04:36
Book Review for Hard Wood by Jenika Snow
Hard Wood by Jenika Snow
  • File Size: 1190 KB
  • Print Length: 73 pages
  • Publisher: Carina Press (March 1, 2018)
  • Publication Date: March 19, 2018
  • Sold by: Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B076ZLX914
Arc Copy Provided by Netgallery
Reviewed by: Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
Gene: Erotica Romance , Novella,Romance
The Dirty Bits from Carina Press give you what you want, when you want it. Designed to be read in an hour or two, these sex-filled microromances are guaranteed to pack a punch and deliver a happily-ever-after.

A new supersexy insta-love novella from USA TODAY bestselling author Jenika Snow that has a gruff lumberjack yelling T-I-M-B-E-R for the woman he’s been waiting for.

The Ash Brothers—they know how to handle their wood.

I’m a hard man. A loner. Or so town gossip says. After having my heart sent through the chipper, I’ve kept to myself. I prefer the quiet of the woods to the ramblings of clingy women who think they can tame a wild mountain man.

Until Mia. Now she’s all I think about.

I should have stayed away. She’s too sweet for a brute like me, but I can’t stop wanting her, picturing her sated in my sheets.

Mia knows just what kind of wood I’m working with. She’s the soft to my hard, the sugar to my bitter bark.

And I love seeing her walk on the wild side.

This book is approximately 15,000 words

For those times when size does matter. The Dirty Bits from Carina Press: Quick and dirty, just the way we like it.
Lets start of saying that this story started off with a bang and a sizzle.This was one of those instant attraction instant love stories.Noah and Mia are instantly attracted to one another and the sexual fantasies they are having with one another are super super hot!
Noah has been hurt by a lover in the past an has been withdrawn and keeps to himself but, spotting Mia something has awaken in him after a very long time when things have pretty much been dormant.Mia on the other hand has been struggling of late with her own unhappiness and she is hoping this move is going to improve things for her. Spotting Noah across the room at a diner definitely puts a smile on her face and some pink in her cheeks! Instant attraction and heated looks hell yeah!
This stories plot was interesting.This couple had more fantasies with each other and more sex in they heads prior to actually meeting one another and I have to say their sexual fantasies were smokin!
For me I enjoyed the characters they were very like-able but the story itself didn't really give you a chance to love them.I enjoyed this short story as the story started out as super hot.I am okay with the instant love story but, a writer for me anyway is suppose to carry that attraction and intenseness and that possessiveness they feel for each other and somewhere along the middle of the story I felt that all flame die out after their first sexual encounter.
For me the sexual fantasies each had with one another was hotter than the deed itself.Then after the deed its two weeks later.Something happened in the middle here and they lost me.I guess for me I missed the couple getting to know each other on paper all the things your are learning about your sexual partner .The fun the playfulness the heated looks etc.I think the author should have added something  to that effect in the middle of the story.Two weeks later you understood they are getting to know one another but, we are not seeing it on paper.For me the story would have been more enjoyable had the author carried through with the spark,sizzle, and fireworks as the say  to the very end.
3 stars from us
Personal note: Even though this story was not a top favorite I have enjoyed many other of this author stories that she has co written with other authors.I would like to read more about these Ash brothers so were are looking forward to that.
Jenika Snow is a USA Today Bestselling Author that lives in the northwest with her husband and children. Before she started writing full-time she worked as a nurse.

You can find her at: