logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-08-14 22:19
Book Review for Unfinished Business by Carina Adams

Title: Unfinished Business
Series: Bastards of Boston Novel
Author: Carina Adams
Genre: MC Romance
Release Date: July 26, 2017

“Passionate, gritty, and emotionally gripping! Carina Adams returns to her writing roots and delivers one hell a phenomenal story!” - Read and Share Book Review
“I'm not sure what I was expecting going in to this books. But it surely wasn't this beautiful masterpiece!” - Linda from Goodreads
“I was completely and utterly blown away by this book.” - Melissa from Goodreads

The Bastards of Boston live in a world most don't understand. They follow their own rules, only accountable to each other, the innocents they protect, and the people they couldn't save.

As president of the Bastards MC, Robert Doyle is the man behind it all. It’s his responsibility to keep his club safe, to be the smartest man in the room, and be ten steps ahead of everyone. He’d give everything he had, and sell his soul to the devil, to protect the ones he loves.
Until Rocker comes face-to-face with the pain he thought he’d buried. Old wounds are ripped open. Revenge consumes him. Once again he’s the teenager desperate to avenge his daughter’s murder and nothing else matters.
He calls me his angel, but the halo I wear caught fire a long time ago. There is no line I won’t cross, no law I won’t break. I’ll do whatever it takes to save him. If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, I’ll happily burn.
When past and present collide, we’re in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

Let's start off by saying this is a first time author for us and we throughly enjoyed our first read by them.

Just wow ! What a complicated story with depth and so many levels to it.I love story with a complicated history.The story was filled with death,destruction,sexual abuse and so much more.

The characters were engaging and love-able as well as like-able.I have to say that there was a whole lot of drama that was going on in this club along with their women.It was engaging and kept you engrossed and turning the pages.

I normally pick a favorite character in a story but this time around it was just to hard to.All the main characters had such tragic lives that it was impossible for you not to feel their pain and have your heart bleed for each and everyone of them.

Cris although was a favorite of mine .The things that she survived were horrific but she did so much to overcome her pain and suffering.We saw her become and strong & feisty and determined women .I loved everything she had become.I loved the lengths she went to protect those she loved.

This was not your typical MC romance and this author has a different style of writing that I had to warm up to but , she wrote and engrossing story with characters that had you feeling all kinds of emotions like happiness and sadness and everything in between.We loved it.

Looking so forward to reading the two books that came before this one.I will say that I wish I had read the previous books first as Rocker and Cris had so much history together and separately before this story that things would have clicked into places quicker but that does not mean I didn't catch on.

A tragic love story filled with so much pain and suffering but second chances and happily ever afters.We love when you can connect with the characters you read about and I was able to do that with these characters as you could not help but be drawn to them from the onset of the story.In doing so It made for a fantastic read for us.

A recommend read to all but would recommend reading previous books in series first.

5 stars from us

An avid reader who loves epic and unconventional romance, Carina has an unhealthy obsession with Jason Statham, loves the sounds of Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, is the crazy friend your mom warned you about, and believes one day she will go through the stones to meet Jamie Fraser.
Carina has been writing and creating characters for as long as she can remember, allowing her to fall in love with the next man of her dreams with every new story. None of which are anything like boring Prince Charming. Thankfully, fate stepped in and granted her the ultimate wish - a life full of men. Carina lives in a picturesque New England town with her husband, the man who ruined the thought of all others, and two amazing sons who always keep her on her toes.

review 2017-08-02 02:59

Genre: MC Romance
Release Date: July 31, 2017
Arc Copy provided for Honest Review
Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews

After six painful months caring for her terminally ill mother, Kori learns the identity of her father. Desperate to connect with the only family she has left, Kori sets out to meet the man responsible for half of her DNA. There’s just one problem: he’s the President of the No Prisoners MC, Las Vegas chapter.

Raised as the step-daughter of an MC member, Kori has one rule when it comes to dating: no bikers. But following that rule becomes a real challenge when she meets Lucky, a member of her father’s club. He's handsome, he's sexy, and he makes her feel special.

Lucky has his own rule for dating: don’t do it. With a revolving door to his bedroom, he has no interest in a relationship. But what begins as harmless flirting with his Pres's daughter heats up, until he can’t get Kori out of his mind. She's enough to make him give up being single.

But Lucky is holding onto a dark secret. He's learned the Pres and VP are involved in activities that could bring down their chapter. He was nearly ready to act when Kori arrived. Now he must decide: move swiftly against his club's leaders, or wait to give his relationship more time to develop? Either way, can he save her from getting caught in the crossfire?

Another great MC romance in the No Prisoner's series.In this story we were on a journey with Kori and Lucky to finding their own piece of love and happiness.

Kori has lost her mother and has learned who is her long lost father in one swoop.After her mother's death she seeks out to find her father and to get to know him if he is willing.In doing so she learns her father is the president of the No Prisoners MC club.

Kori has one thing going for her and that is she is not a complete stranger when it come to club life her mother was and old lady and her stepfather a member of a club.I found Kori to be sweet kind,loving,independent, and she had a sense of humor and was full of spunk.

I always pick a favorite character in a story and mine is going to be Kori.I just loved her from the onset.But,she won me over when she made the ultimate sacrifice to protect Lucky even though doing so she was going to cost her the man she loves.

Lucky's character surprised me the most.Lucky was not your typical MC character.I found him to have more feelings and was more open than any of the other MC members.Yes he has baggage like most but, I loved how he openly he expressed his feelings a thoughts with Kori.It showed he was caring and had feelings and was capable of giving his heart to someone.Yes,he was dangerous but not in a scary kind of way.

Lucky saw Kori as a challenge and she was the first girl who didn't fall at his feet.He knew right then and there that she was the one for him.I loved this couple together they had awesome chemistry that made for some really hot sexual encounters.They were just so cute together with their constant teasing and bantering with each other as it made us smile and laugh.

I found Lucky to have his own  insecurities in this relationship that definitely clouded his judgment when it came to Kori.But, all those insecurities is what drew me to Lucky's character.It made for  more of an emotional story.Falling in love is not alway's easy but, its more rewarding when you have to work for it.
(grins)

This MC romance had tons of drama,deceit,greed.The story always had something going on.Keeping it interesting.This MC is divided as it is but,when the secrets are revealed to the club is it going to make or break it?

I love when you read a story and from the onset you connect with its characters and I was able to do that with these characters as I could help but love them.We also enjoyed reading about the other members as well.

Another great story filled with love,romance,drama,betrayals that had a great cast of characters and we loved it.

I am so enjoying this series and recommend it to all MC lovers.

Las Vegas, November 2015
Three-fifty-seven a.m. Pretty fucking early. Why the hell he was awake, he had no clue. Maybe his female companion had inadvertently woken him when she crawled her sweet ass out of the bed and slunk into the night.
Lucky’s head was a bit groggy, but the intoxication seemed to have worked its way out of his system. A quick cup of the sludge his MC brothers called coffee and he’d be good to ride home where he could actually get some comfortable sleep. This damn bed was like sleeping on a pile of rocks, and sharp nails.
Now where the hell had his cut landed?
He found it dangling from the foot of the bed. Once dressed, he made his way down the dark hallway toward the main area of the clubhouse. The building was a seven thousand square foot single story old shoe factory that had been converted for their needs years ago. The front of the building served as the heart of the clubhouse. The space was wide open, with a massive bar, pool table, dart boards, and a number of plush, albeit questionably sanitary, couches. That’s where they partied, hung out, and generally caused a ruckus.
A long hallway led to the back of the building where offices and spare rooms were located as well as the giant meeting room, or chapel, where the club conducted its business. Lucky loved his second home, even if sleeping there was a less than restful experience.
He trod as quietly as his booted feet would allow so as not to wake anyone else who’d spent the night. As he neared the bar, loud, angry voices broke the silence of the early morning.
“How did this happen? Tell me how the fuck this happened!” Rebel’s smoke-roughened yell made Lucky wince. Their Vegas chapter president was not someone to piss off. Those who got on his bad side often found themselves missing a tooth or two. Just last year when their club brothers from Crystal Rock, Arizona were in town, Rebel had rearranged some punk’s face for having the nerve to step on his foot and not apologize in a crowded bar.
“I don’t know, Pres. Casper called me just five minutes ago. First thing I did was come to you.” Savage sounded just as agitated as Rebel. Another man you didn’t want to put a target on your ass. Like Lucky, he lived up to his nickname with gusto.
Lucky halted, unsure if he’d be welcome at this moment. If it seemed like they could use his help, he’d be more than happy to jump in, but something felt off about the situation. The small hairs on the back of his neck rose to attention. An issue requiring attention at four a.m. on a Saturday could only mean trouble.
Casper. Why did that name sound so familiar?
“Tell me exactly what Casper said. Word for fuckin’ word. And give me a fuckin’ cigarette. I left mine in my room.”
Silence descended and Lucky pictured Rebel lighting up and sucking in that first soothing drag. In eight years, there had perhaps been three times he’d seen Rebel without a cigarette between his fingers and smoke billowing from his mouth. His leathery face and raspy voice bore the marks of a man who loved his smokes.
“Spit it the fuck out, Savage.” Rebel sounded close to losing his cool. Surprising for a man who ruthlessly commanded respect and never seemed at a loss. Shit must be bad.
“Casper said they’re having ongoing issues with their supply from the cartel. Trust has been a problem since the Crystal Rock chapter ambushed them. Stealing the mil meant for the cartel pissed the Grimm Brothers off, big time. They liked working with Snake but hate Casper’s guts.”
Lucky remembered now. Grimm Brothers MC. Casper was the VP and Snake had been the president for a while. Nasty motherfuckers who caused serious trouble for two of his brothers, Striker and Jester. Snake kidnapped Striker’s woman and blackmailed Jester’s ol’ lady with threats of killing her only brother. The Grimm Brothers were the sworn enemy of the No Prisoners Crystal Rock chapter.
“Shit.” Rebel’s curse was followed by a loud boom that had Lucky jolting. He tiptoed a few steps further into the hallway. He should leave. Spying on the President wasn’t a smart idea, but now he itched to know the rest of the story.
“Did they get this month’s shipment? Thirty percent of that product had our name on it,” Rebel asked.
Wait. What? Lucky’s blood ran cold. His club steered far away from the drug trade.
“Most of it. The cartel held some of it back as punishment for Casper’s bad attitude.” Savage paused and without actually looking at him, Lucky could imagine his cold eyes turn deadly. “Said they have no problem finding new buyers so Casper needs to get his ass in line.”
Rebel let out a harsh laugh followed by a barking cough. “That scrawny asshole knows how much I depend on the cash from our heroin sales. He better get his shit together or the cartel will be the least of his worries.”
Lucky swore his heart stopped beating for a few seconds, just before it kicked up into a fast gallop. Rebel and Savage were selling drugs. Who else knew? Who else was involved? How long had this been going on?
Nausea rolled through his gut like a violent storm. His sister had died of an overdose when she was just seventeen. One of the reasons he’d chosen this specific MC when looking to prospect was the fact that they were fierce in their stance against involvement in the drug trade. Too risky and too much collateral damage. Or so he’d believed.
“Maybe we should consider cutting out the middle man. Deal with the cartel ourselves.” Rebel coughed. The man’s lungs had to be blacker than tar.
“Not a bad idea, Pres. Things ain’t the same since Jester beat Snake near to death. You think Casper finished the job? You know that greedy asshole was just biding his time until he could claw his way to the top and no one’s heard from Snake in the months since.”
“I need a drink. What a fuckin’ mess.” Rebel sighed, then the sound of liquid being poured reached Lucky’s ears.
Well, now he sure as hell couldn’t step out into the bar area. With the stealth of a ninja, Lucky crept back toward the room he’d crashed in. This was far too much information to process at four in the morning after a night of heavy drinking. His thoughts bubbled and swirled like molten lava in a volcano near eruption.
Now he got to choose between two shitty options.
Turn a blind eye and keep his trap closed.
Or run with what he overheard to someone who could help. Take it to the Crystal Rock chapter. Tell them his president and vice president were in direct violation of the club’s strict no drugs bylaw. Be a rat.
And in the MC world, there was nothing dirtier than a rat.

Lilly Atlas is a contemporary romance author, proud Navy wife, and mother of two spunky girls. By day she works as a physical therapist for a hospital in Virginia. Lilly is an avid romance reader, and expects her Kindle to beg for mercy every time she downloads a new eBook. Thankfully, it hasn’t happened yet, and she can often be found absorbed in a good book.

review 2017-07-28 04:58
Steamy read with a sweet romance
Eight Seconds to Forever (Sprawling A Ranch) (Volume 5) - Anna Alexander

This is a steamy read, a friends to lovers story. All it takes is one kiss to change their relationship. Their journey to an HEA is full of emotions, doubt, and realizations as to what is important, and I could not put it down. Melody is a woman beginning to doubt herself, and Jack shows her differently. As she becomes stronger, Melody sees her future in a better light, and I loved watching her grow. I need to go back and read the rest of the earlier books as the characters that we meet are interesting.

I received a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2017-07-28 04:09
Gossip can lead to trouble and to love
The Gossip of an Earl (The Widows of the Aristocracy Book 1) - Linda Rae Sande

There are really two love stories within this book. The main one involves Emelia and Felix, and I enjoyed their courtship. The things left unsaid almost tear them apart, but Max works at keeping them together. The secondary story is an older couple, Jane and Max, who get a second chance at love, and the whirlwind of their relationship was fun to watch. There is a bit of bouncing between story lines, but once I got used to it, the stories flowed.

I received a copy of this through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

text 2017-07-27 21:58
Book Review Spot: 7 book reviews from your book blogs, and where to find more

We've came across these 7 book reviews when visiting Book Catalog and Explore pages. Click the blog headings to visit the bloggers' webpage and to read the full book reviews. Enjoy!

The River Is Dark - Joe HartWord Gurgle gave 4 stars to The River Is Dark by Joe Hart:

There is plenty of fasted paced story in this novel to keep you moving through the story fluently. The writing is great. The story enjoyable. The story holds just the right amount of description in the right places. I did figure out the early on who the killer was, but it didn't deter me from the desire to keep reading. Liam is a great, well-developed character. Matter of fact, all the characters are very well developed... read the full review

LAUREN B. DAVIS gave 5 stars to The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects - Barbara G. WalkerThe Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects - Barbara G. Walker

A wonderful work on the study of symbols and sacred objects as they relate to the female. It's an excellent companion to the marvelous "The Book Of Symbols: Reflections On Archetypal Images" offering insight on the feminine roots of many of our symbols. Just as an example, one such symbol is the fish, widely accepted to be the symbol of Christianity, but which is actually FAR older. Ichthys was the offspring of the ancient Sea goddess Atargatis, and was known in various mythic systems as Tirgata, Aphrodite, Pelagia, or Delphine. The word also meant "womb" and "dolphin" in some tongues... read the full review

Pretty Jane and the Viper of Kidbrooke Lane: A True Story of Victorian Law and Disorder: The First Unsolved Murder of the Victorian Age - Paul Thomas Murphy  Sheila's Reads gave 4 stars to Pretty Jane and the Viper of Kidbrooke Lane: A True Story of Victorian Law and Disorder: The First Unsolved Murder of the Victorian Age by Paul Thomas Murphy

Jane Clouson is found on Kidbrooke Lane dying after a vicious beating. She is taken to the hospital where she later dies. The police now have to find the murderer. As they look at her short life and listen to what her friends have to say they believe they have found their murderer and arrest him. Next comes the court of law and the court of public opinion.This is interesting. Mr. Murphy uses modern forensic techniques to review the case and show who the murderer is. Unfortunately, forensic scien Jane Clouson is found on Kidbrooke Lane dying after a vicious beating... read the full review

Little One - Timothy G. HugueninT's Stuff too gave 5 stars to Little One by Timothy G. Huguenin

The creep factor in this book was over the top for me. I was on vacation with my Daughter and Grand Kids when I started reading this book. I was setting outside on the front porch of the cabin surrounded by a mountain in a very dark area while reading this. All at once I felt the need to go in the house and not read anymore. I also turned the TV on for the night in the room I was sleeping in, and I had only read half the book. The book is about Kelsea Hendricks Stone. She was given up for adoption as a young child. She doesn't remember her life before being adopted. Her birth parents have passed away and left her their house and possessions. Kelsea heads to a remote town in West Virginia to clean out the house and get it ready to sell... read the full review

A Million Worlds with You - Claudia Gray  The Caffeinated Diva reads... gave 5 stars to A Million Worlds With You

I have recently discovered that I have a thing for books about the multiverse.  Something about the unknown, about the possibilities... that excites me.  This book, this series, did exactly that.  I loved the world that the author built and how she changed it between the various multiverses.  I also loved the mechanism she used to tie the worlds together.  By mechanism, I don't mean the actual Firebird, but how she makes those worlds accessible. There is a lot of science involved in this series, but it is presented in such a way that it explains what it needs to without being anything like a lecture.  It also is the perfect tool to create villains and heroes... read the full review

The Bedlam Stacks - Natasha PulleyGrac's Never-ending TBR Pile of Doom gave 4 stars to The Bedlam Stacks

Set in the same universe as The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, this book is not a sequel although one of the main characters from the previous books makes a couple of quite lengthy appearances - while that book was set in London, The Bedlam Stacks takes place mostly in Peru, as our protagonist is part of a mission sent to try and steal cuttings from cinchona trees in order to help produce quinine for the East India Company. We first meet Merrick Tremayne when he's recovering from a serious injury at his family home in Cornwall, which is literally falling apart around his ears... read the full review

The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo - Oscar Zeta Acosta,Manuel Acosta Sero,Hunter S. ThompsonWhat I am reading gave 5 stars to The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo

What do you expect from the autobiography of a man who called himself the Brown Buffalo? A man who ate the hottest hot sauce in the world for breakfast and chose A Whiter Shade of Pale as the theme song of his live? Regardless of what you might expect, you will be surprised, but not disappointed. This is the most unapologetic account of one’s life I can imagine. Acosta is not afraid of giving honest descriptions of his childhood, his acid trips, his genitals, his fears, feelings, actions or anything else... read the full review

What are you reviewing right now? If you're curious what others are reading and writing about here are several BookLikes places to visit.

Book Catalog page (main menu -> Book Catalog)

The very first section is the Recently reviewed on BookLikes section!

When you click the book cover you'll be moved to a book page where you can find all reviews published by the BookLikes community.

The most recent reviews will show up at the top so it's really easy to find the most recent opinion.

To visit the blog page click the see review link -- it's the right place to Like or Reblog the article and to Follow the blogger if you've enjoyed the review.

Explore page (main menu -> Explore)

Another place to discover the newest blog posts and reviews is the Explore page. There are two places to visit for the reviews: Just published section and Hot reviews. You can also use the menu on the left to go to the desirable section.

The Just published spot presents the most recently published blog posts whereas the Hot reviews spot highlights those reviews which are popular among BL community at the moment. To read the reviews just click the title and you'll be moved to the blog page with the full text.

Happy reviewing!