logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-22 21:25
The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01 by Mizue Tani
The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 - Ayuko,Mizue Tani

When I was younger, I used to read manga all the time. In fact, it was the only thing I read for many years of my youth. However, getting older, I have fallen out of the habit of reading manga on a regular basis. It has been a very long time since I've read manga and I've been trying to get back into it. So when my partner came home with the first volume of The Earl and the Fairy she borrowed from work, I decided to give it a read. I have to say it's not a bad read.

I liked the simplistic feel to the story. You can literally just pick it up and fall into the story quite easily. The story is not convoluted to the point you don't understand what the fairies's roles are or how the myths of these fairies are interwoven into the actual plot of the story. And even though not everything is revealed from the get-go, it's not difficult to follow along with the characters.

Speaking of characters, I do feel like they were on the weaker side. The main character, Lydia, falls under a lot of tropes you tend to find in shoujo manga. She's supposed to be "tough" and takes "no nonsense" from the male lead, but she ultimately ends up doing whatever he tells her to do because she's "sweet and naive." The male lead, Edgar, tries to come off as charming and caring but he still manipulates Lydia every chance he gets. Mind you, he DOES acknowledge that what he's doing is wrong, but that still doesn't excuse the behavior. And even though I feel like the characters were not this manga's strongest point, it did leave me feeling that there's room for growth and I do think we shall see that growth in later volumes. I do have hope for that.

Lastly, the art wasn't anything special. It's very typical "cutesy" style with Lydia having pretty flowing hair and big eyes, whilst Edgar is all "broody" and "mysterious" and has darker tones to his outfits. I will say the outfits to the characters are very beautiful. It's not a bad art style, it's just a style I've seen before.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good read. It's harmless fun with interesting lore that, I'm sure will get explored more along with the characters' growth. I really did like what I read and I'm not opposed to reading the next volume. However, I won't go out of my way to read it right away either. If this sounds like your sort of manga, then go right ahead and pick it up. It's a pretty fast, simple read.

review 2017-02-22 19:20
Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine by Kelly Sue DeConnick
Bitch Planet Volume 1 - Kelly Sue DeConnick,Robert Wilson IV,Valentine De Landro

Bitch Planet is one of those graphic novels everyone seems to recommend. And I can see why! It's about a group of women who are deemed "disobedient" from the male-dominated government and are sent to a distant prison planet called "Bitch Planet" to be "straightened out." There they have to do what they're told if they hope to survive. But the main group of women we follow are definitely not keen on such a notion. Then, obviously, rebellion ensues.

I first heard of Bitch Planet through BookTube. When I heard so many people talking about how feminist and inclusive it was, I had to give it a read. And I'm so glad I did! The entire first volume is incredible! The art is gorgeous! It's very colorful when it wants to be and gritty when it has to be. I love the character designs the most! All the women have different body shapes, skin color, and sexual orientations. I love the diversity within these pages and the women portrayed therein.

The plot itself is so intriguing. I want to know what our characters are going to do now that they are within this prison. We got to see some background stories for a couple of characters. I love Penny's background story the most. It's tragic, yes, but it helps the reader understand who she is as a person. It helps the reader understand some of the actions she chooses to make. I love her so much. I love ALL the characters so much! Well... except the ones we're supposed to hate... I don't like them as much.

And that's all I'm going to say about it! Read this graphic novel! It's fun, engaging, intersectional feminism, daring, and intriguing! However, this is for a very mature audience. There's violence, nudity, sexual content, and gore. But if you're okay with that sort of content, then I highly recommend you pick up this graphic novel. It's filled with a diverse cast of women trying to make it in a world that refuses to allow women to be themselves. It's a fantastic read.

Silenced by Leddy Harper Release Blitz and Giveaway

Release Date: February 22, 2017
Hosted by: Book Enthusiast Promotions

Goodreads Button with Shadow

book blurb

Haunted by a photographic memory, I couldn’t escape the worst night of my life.
The blood they shed.
The pain they endured.
The evil that still walked free.
It was all I saw. Those memories, my childhood—the images.

Silenced and scarred.
But nothing lasts forever.
Torment turned to blinding rage. Hate sought revenge, which pursued death.
Then there was life.
The moon.
Rylee Anderson.

I had to choose...
excerpt

Sweat dripped down the side of my face, collecting in the collar of my shirt. The heat was almost unbearable, but I didn’t want to be inside. Mom was away for work again—this time for a full week—and Dad was stuck in front of the television set watching another football game. I hated it when Mom was gone, because my dad didn’t really know how to handle me. He had no problem bonding with my brother, but where I was concerned, he acted completely clueless. So Sundays became the day I’d take a book and sit in the back yard beneath a tree.

I brought my water bottle to my lips when something caught my attention near the privacy fence, separating the houses in the neighborhood and the wooded area behind it. It ran up the side yard, offering us seclusion to the house next door. The young woman who lived there often had guests over, which made my parents uneasy. But now, someone was in her back yard, climbing her fence.

No…not just someone.

A boy.

His stick-straight hair, the color of sand, hung to the middle of his ears. But I couldn’t see his face. He had his back to me as he climbed, just before jumping over to the side filled with trees. His black T-shirt was a blur. He was there one second and gone the next.

I stared at the barrier, wondering if I could climb over and follow him. I knew everyone in the neighborhood, but I’d never seen him before. I glanced over my shoulder and waited a moment, just to make sure my dad or my brother weren’t on their way out. When I noticed no movement beyond the sliding glass door, I jumped up and ran as fast as I could. Without second guessing it, I began to scale the tall slats of the wood.

Once I made it to the top, I looked down and realized it was much higher on the other side. I’d never been in the wooded area before, and for a second, I contemplated just going back to my yard. I thought about my book I’d left beneath the tree and my father who might’ve gone looking for me. But then I remembered the boy—and I so desperately wanted to find out where he came from.

Curiosity got the best of me.

I swung my leg over and, with the pace of a sloth, I used the wood between the slats to lower myself to the ground. Standing on my feet again, I searched through the trees, hoping to spot the boy with blond hair and a black shirt.

But he was nowhere.

I carefully walked farther into the trees on the soft dirt, keeping as quiet as possible. I didn’t want to venture too far, because I worried I wouldn’t be able to make it back to my house. From this side, I couldn’t tell which house was which. So I made sure not to deviate too far from behind my back yard.

It felt like an hour, but realistically, it was probably closer to five minutes before I decided to give up. I thought it might’ve been better to have just waited until he came back. I turned around, ready to head home, when I spotted him.

Or…he spotted me.

teasers

meet the author

Leddy Harper had to use her imagination often as a child. She grew up the only girl in a house full of boys. At the age of fourteen, she decided to use that imagination and wrote her first book, and never stopped.

She often calls writing her therapy, using it as a way to deal with issues through the eyes of her characters.

She is now a mother of three girls, leaving her husband as the only man in a house full of females.

The decision to publish her first book was made as a way of showing her children to go after whatever it is they want to. Love what you do and do it well. Most importantly Leddy wanted to teach them what it means to overcome their fears.
social media

Blog Tour and Giveaway Ex-Con Times Two Jay S. Wilder & Bella Love-Wins

Title - Ex-Con Times Two: A Dark Bad Boy MFM Romance
Authors - Jay S. Wilder & Bella Love-Wins

Genre -  Dark MFM Romance

We’re supposed to be on our best behavior, but things are about to get filthy with our sweet little virgin.

Hunter
When you’ve had a rough life like I have, doing hard time is pretty much a guarantee. I’m an ex-con. It’s like one of those dirty little secrets I hate sharing. I don’t expect any breaks or a happy ending, but good fortune comes our way for the first time in, well… ever.
Then I meet Katelynn.
A good girl.
Katelynn is sweet, shy, and way too young. She’s barely legal, but I can’t help wanting to live out every filthy fantasy on her innocent, virgin body.
Correction. We can’t.
Because my ex-con best friend, Jake, and I like to share one woman.
Our kitten.
We find out that someone wants to harm her. Now that we’ve claimed her for ourselves, no one gets to touch her.
Not on our watch.
To hell with parole violations. We’ll break every rule to keep her alive.

*Authors’ Note: Ex-Con Times Two is a full length standalone with no cliffhangers and a guaranteed happy ever after ending. This is a MFM full-length ménage romance that is all about the woman. There are no M/M scenes. This story is all about TWO hot bad boy ex-cons who fall for the same woman...

Katelynn
The sound of Jake turning the lock on the door behind him reminds me that he’s here. With us. Watching. My eyes open part way and meet his. He doesn’t look away. Those eyes pierce my skull and hold me in one spot. He’s liking this? I guess he’s into watching.
And I must be into being watched.
The idea makes me drenched between my thighs, dripping wet and wondering how in the world I’m so calm about all of this. Good Lord. I’m kissing one man and lusting over another at the same time. How did I ever get myself into this situation? And what does it mean? Do I like Hunter? Or Jake? And hell, what on earth are they thinking about me? About us?
There’s no time to explore these questions right now. Jake closes the distance between us with two ground-eating steps. He drags off his hat and rests it on the counter beside the sinks as Hunter breaks our kiss and steps aside for Jake to replace him. Jesus Jones, they’re taking turns on me? Hunter’s okay with letting Jake…have me? I’m so turned on from their proximity and as a result of this out of the box sensual experience that I don’t want to stop.
Kissing one man is hot.
Kissing two men back-to-back? Well it’s sexy as hell.
I tilt my face up towards Jake’s. My lips part. My breathing is quickened as Jake lowers his face to mine, and takes my lips in a possessive, hungry, open-mouthed kiss—right in front of Hunter. His hands wander up to my shoulders, slowly making its way down my arms, until they loop around my waist and drag me in tight. Then I feel a flood of warmth behind me. It’s Hunter. His chest is touching my back, and the heat of his groin is at my lower back, and oh God, his hands are covering my shoulders from behind. My fingers grip the sides of Jake’s t-shirt for balance. I’m dizzy from not breathing, but I don’t want to stop for something as minor as air.
After some time, Jake pulls from the kiss, his hazel eyes shining down at me like the sun as I gasp for air.
Hunter nudges his lips at my ear again. “We want you, Katelynn.”
My stomach does a full flip. “Both of you?” I ask, still looking up at Jake.
“Yes,” Jake rumbles. “At the same time. We like to share.”
“You want to share…me?”
He nods, and I have to suck in a breath and hold it in tight. Jake and Hunter want me. At the same time. And the kicker is, now that he’s said it, I can’t get the image of two men taking me out of my head.
Two men.
For my first time.
I can barely breathe.
My knees are weak.
I’m falling apart... at the hands of two men.

Jay S. Wilder  writes erotic bad boy and billionaire romance, and dark MFM menage romance that's all about the woman. The darker, the better. Just the way you like it. Sign up for updates, new releases, free books and hot promotions at jayswilder.com.

Bella  Love-Wins is a USA Today Bestselling author (Alphas for the Holidays, Shifters in the Snow: Bundle of Joy, and Shifters in the Shadows). She loves writing steamy, high-action romance stories about bad boys, billionaires, and alpha males who know what they want and aren't afraid of laying claim to the women who catch their interest. She craves a happy ever after ending. In her spare time, Bella enjoys reading, hiking, the countryside, and traveling to destinations unspoiled by commercial tourism, like Las Vegas.

For the next while, you'll find her plotting and writing about her latest stories in Toronto.

Jay S. Wilder

Bella Love-Wins

Book Cover Reveal for LEI'D WITH CUPCAKES by Bethany Lopez
Leid_coverreveal

Today we are celebrating the cover reveal of LEI'D WITH CUPCAKES by Bethany Lopez. This book is a romantic comedy/suspense title that will be released March 27th. Check out the cover, blurb, and excerpt below. This book is currently up for pre-order now so go grab your copy! Enter below for a chance to win a paperback bundle of Always Room for Cupcakes and Cupcake Overload!

leiebook

Lei’d with Cupcakes by Bethany Lopez (The Cupcakes Series, book 3 )

Genre: Romantic Comedy/Suspense

Date of release: Mar 27, 2017

Cover by Makeready Designs

Add the book to Goodreads

Synopsis:

Everybody dreams of a Hawaiian Vacation… They sell you on the drinks with little umbrella’s, dolphin watching, and long walks on the beach. Which probably happens, if you’re that lucky schmuck living out your dream with your destination wedding, but if you’re a fish out of water PI like me, there’s no time for relaxing because trouble is never far behind. Instead of cocktails, I ended up dealing with the seedy underbelly of The Big Island. And, I didn’t see one damn dolphin while undercover on a boat which was spilling over with drug dealers, Kingpins, and Pedophiles. Elin and Elena think Cade's family are the coolest people outside of Snapchat, but it’s hard to meet the parents when your boyfriend is in his late thirties and has never had a serious relationship. I’d never missed my girls so much in my life, but Amy May, Bea, and Carmen are all dealing with issues of their own, and can’t come to my rescue. The only thing that may help me with this “vacation” is if I could get Lei’d with Cupcakes. WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE, SEX, SOME VIOLENCE, AND SHENANIGANS. IF NONE OF THAT BOTHERS YOU, GRAB A CUPCAKE AND READ ON!   lei Lei'd teaser

Special Pre-order/Release Week Price is $2.99

Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo | Smashwords

Cupcakes_giveaway

a Rafflecopter giveaway
Cupcake Series Banner (1)   cupcake (4)

Purchase Always Room for Cupcakes:

Amazon | iBooks | Smashwords | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

cupcakeoverload

Purchase Cupcake Overload:

Amazon | iBooks | Smashwords | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

EXCERPT: When it was our turn to disembark, Cade pulled out suitcases down from the overhead compartment, and we started off the plane. First Cade, with his well-worn leather backpack slung over one shoulder and a ratty Army green duffel in his hand. Then Elin and Elena, with their Harry Potter and Star Wars rolling bags, and finally, me, trailing behind with my new hard case roller, wondering why I’d been in such a hurry to land when all I wanted to do in that moment was run back to the plane. With every step closer to the arrival area, my stomach grew tight and my buzz started to fade. By the time we stepped out of the corridor into the open space, filled with happy sounds and tons of people, I was ready to upchuck the six tiny bottles of vodka that had seemed like such a good idea in flight. I looked up in time to see a tall woman hugging Cade tightly, while a handsome, older version of Cade was placing lei’s around the twins’ necks. I plastered a smile on my face and as I joined the group, all eyes turned to me. Cade’s mother’s face lit up, as she looked to him and said, “Nice job, Hiapo, she’s got great hips.”
------------------------------------

AUTHOR INFORMATION:

A1nt0F1SfnL._UX250_
Sign up for my Newsletter for more information about my writing: http://eepurl.com/Rcmrn Award-Winning Author Bethany Lopez began self-publishing in June 2011. She's a lover of all things romance: books, movies, music, and life, and she incorporates that into the books she writes. When she isn't reading or writing, she loves spending time with her husband and children, traveling whenever possible. Some of her favorite things are: Kristen Ashley Books, coffee in the morning, and In N Out burgers.

AUTHOR LINKS: