logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-05-15 14:16
The Sandman and the War of Dreams (Guardians of Childhood, #4) by William Joyce
The Sandman and the War of Dreams - William Joyce

Another beautiful addition to this sweet little story. I am a huge fan of Pitch Black and in this book we finally get his whole story told to us. It's heartbreaking, beautiful, and tragic. I love learning more about him and his daughter and I love seeing how even beings like him, deserve some love and respect.

In this book, we have a returning character from the picture books. Sandy! I love this little guy. So much strength with such little words spoken. I adore him. I also love that this is the first time we get to see Nightlight grow a little as a character. He was someone who was very immature in his way of thinking. But it's in this book that he learns that things are not just black and white, good and evil. That there are many layers to who a person can be and many reasons to explain the actions one choose to take. I think it's a brilliant lesson for anyone to learn. Especially Nightlight, a boy who never ages.

I love this series so much. I know the writing can be quite simplistic at times, but the story and the characters more than make up for it. I think with such a lovely story, you don't need flowery writing. The story speaks for itself.

I am close to the end of this series now. I've never read the last book before. This will be my first time reading it. Makes me nervous to finally find out what's going to happen. I love Pitch and I don't want him to get a nasty end for just being different. I will hold on to hope that the ending of the series will be just as sweet as the rest of it has been.

If you haven't read this series yet, I highly encourage that you do. It's a lot of fun with endearing characters and such fantastical ideas that it will make you want to explore your own imagination as thoroughly as you did when you were younger. Or still do. Some of us never forgot our "child-like wonder." I hope you never do.

review 2020-05-13 13:14
Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3) by William Joyce
Toothiana, Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (Guardians of Childhood Chapter Books) - William Joyce

I'm finally continuing with my read of this amazing series. I had to take a bit of a break since Final Fantasy VII: Remake was released so all of my time went to that for about two months. X3 BUT! I am back and I just finished reading my favorite book in the series thus far.

In this book we meet Toothiana and I love reading about her past and how she came to me the mighty Queen that she is. Her wit, her strength, her will, her everything is so incredibly inspiring. I love learning about her powers and what makes her such an amazing Guardian.

All of the other characters make an appearance in this book as well. We see North, Ombric, Bunnymund, Nightlight, and Katherine grow and learn more about Pitch. Especially when it come to Katherine. She plays a key role in this book and it is through her that the other Guardians learn how to understand and sympathize with other beings. There's a certain scene that happens at the end of the book that introduces a new character and makes you fall in love with an old character all the more. I love this book.

Please, if you haven't read this series yet, please do. It's so much fun and helps you to understand and care for others who are different. It's such a heartwarming series that I think is worth the read.

review 2020-05-09 01:35
After spending 5 years in jail for a crime he didn’t really commit...
Bishop: A True Lover's Story - A.E. Via,Tor Thom

Bishop’s determined not to mess up his second chance. He’s living with his dad and working at his landscape company. Bishop may not know how to read or write but if you want a landscape that’ll make you the envy of all the neighbours…Bishop’s your man.

Bishop knows that he’s got two things going for him for sure first there’s Mike. They don’t have the perfect parent/child relationship, but they’ve got a solid foundation on which to build one. It’s very clear early on that Mike genuinely cares about Bishop and want’s to be there for him and be supportive. He’s determined to get the dad thing right this time around. He’s also got  Trent…Trent’s that friend that we all want the one who’s there for you in good and bad. It doesn’t matter because you know that friend has your back.

Edison’s not really looking for a second chance he’s trying to use his first one…he just wants someone that he can love and care for and maybe have feel the same way about him. Edison was raised with old fashioned values by a father who taught him how to shine his shoes, shave with a straight razor, be a gentleman, not to swear or judge and most of all to just be himself. Add in that Edison’s cooking skills are amazing and it’s hard to imagine why this man hasn’t been off the market for years. But luckily for Bishop he’s not.

One of the things that Edison and Bishop have in common is that their perception of themselves doesn’t reflect how others see them. Bisop also has a strong tendency to internal things ultimately making issues bigger than they truly were or needed to be.

I loved that Bishop was very upfront with Edison about his prison record but was disappointed about how things were dealt with when it came to Bishop’s reading and writing skills. I get that this was a strong source of insecurity, embarrassment and worry for Bishop. I know I couldn’t imagine how it would feel to be 36 years old and have to tell someone who’s opinion meant everything to me that I couldn’t read…honestly my brain boggles at the mere idea of it.

Rounding out this ensemble we have Skylar…dear, dear die in a freakin’ fire Skylar…let me count the ways that I despise you. I’m not even sure where to begin with this character for he was just to much…he was the little boy who thinks that you tell a girl you like them by pulling their hair and making fun of them only he never grew-up and while I’m not going go get into the details of it, the part he played in the books ending was just so far over the top that to be honest I just couldn’t buy into it because he went from being an annoying jerk to someone who was not just out of touch with reality but violently so.

Bishop is definitely a slow burn especially when compared to previous books that I’ve read/listened to by this author and for me that’s ok since these men are each dealing with their own bundles of insecurities and it’s abundantly clear that neither Bishop nor Edison was looking for a quick fling, but both were looking for a relationship to last so having them spend time together where clothes were kept on and conversations were had felt very in line with the overall theme of the story.

Tor Thom was the narrator for this story and while he’s not quite a new to me narrator…it’s a close call on that as I’ve only had the opportunity to enjoy two other books that he shared in the narration of. I love that his voices are clearly distinctive, and I never had to wonder who was speaking. With his narration of ‘Bishop’ Tor Thom has definitely shown me that whether he’s narrating a book on his own or with someone else he gets the job done and done well. I truly look forward to enjoying future audio books by this narrator…and…

Hopefully, Ms Via has more in store for us from Bishop and his friends.

*************************

An audio book of “Bishop” was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2020-02-22 22:12
E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! (The Guardians, #2) by William Joyce
E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! (Guardians of Childhood Book #2) - William Joyce

And I continue straight into the next installment of this beautiful, magical series. Last time I told you how much magic and whimsy means to me whenever I read a book and how these books contain such magic. Well, this time, I want to talk about the actual construction of the book.

This book is written the same way as the first: simple, to the point, and feel-good. It's the type of light-hearted reading you look forward to after a difficult day. The type of book you want to read to forget about the troubles of the world. It's a lovely story filled with warmth and love and hope. I adore this type of book.

The characters are quirky and endearing. North is feisty and hot-headed. Katherine is brave, sweet, and caring. Bunnymund is egg-centric (see what I did there?). Ombric is the good-natured, sometimes gruff grandpa. And, of course, we cannot forget about Pitch. He's the "villain" who you want to see have a good ending. All of these characters, as silly as they can be sometimes, you just want to invite over and have a grand adventure with. You want to be friends with them all.

I love stories where beings you know have existed all along come to life in such a meaninful and thoughtful way. I have been a fan of these books ever since I read them years ago and I still love them. This book is fun, full of magical adventures, has a whole crew of amazing characters, and can help any child or adult find their ability to believe again. I recommend these books for the good feelings they instill in the reader.

review 2020-02-16 19:18
Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (The Guardians, #1) by William Joyce
Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King - Laura Geringer,William Joyce

I adore magical origin stories. When I saw the movie Rise of the Guardians a few years back now for the first time, I fell in love with the story and the characters. Especially the character of Pitch Black. He intrigued me as someone who was never truly evil. He just wanted to be believed in. As did the other Guardians so I never understood why he was treated so harshly towards the end of the movie. I suppose because he was the "bad guy" he needed to be treated as such. Still I wanted to know more about him and about Jack. I've always considered Jack Frost to be a dear friend of mine so I'm always on the look out for any media that talks about him. So when I found out this movie were based on books, I had to track them down.

I first read the picture books and absolutely love them. The artwork and story telling truly feel magical. As do these novels. This is my second time reading them and I love them just as much as I did the first time. It's whimsical and magical. It truly makes you believe in a magic that's within all of us. I love these books. They are short and sweet and does exactly what I wanted them to do: shed more light into who Pitch truly is. Although the first book touches on who he used to be, it's the following books that really explains what happened to Pitch Black.

This book is fast and interesting. I love the characters. I think the relationship between North and Katherine is absolutely adorable. My favorite thus far! If you really want to get enraptured with a fun children's book, this is definitely worth the read. It's a book that encourages children and adults alike to believe in magic, no matter how difficult life may seem.