logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2018-02-21 20:44
Very Little Reading...

is getting done this week and weekend around here, because this is one of those weeks where I am not destined to be at home much.

But there are very good reasons for it: A very short-notice work trip took me to London yesterday. Yay! And even better, the work commitments ended just after lunch, with my colleague asking if I had plans for the extra time before we had to catch our flight home.

Me? Plans? Of course, I have plans! Apparently, he didn't but he was happy to tag along to see Charlie and the Whale...

I had not been back to the Natural History Museum for a couple of years, and this was the first time since they changed out the dinosaur for the blue whale in Hintze Hall. It is huge. What a great idea to feature it in the main hall. It really let you get a sense of scale and perspective to see it stretching almost all along the main entrance.

We didn't have a lot of time, certainly not enough to look at anything in detail or wonder off in many of the specialist areas, but I did make a point of us saying Hi to Pickwick's great-great-great-grandma/pa.

I love this place.

text 2018-02-21 16:25
[Book Review] Bingo Love
Bingo Love OGN - Franklin W. Dixon Bingo Love OGN - Franklin W. Dixon
Bingo Love / Tee Franklin, Jenn St-Onge (ill), and Joy San (ill)

I... don't even know where to start summarizing this story or reviewing beyond this: you will cry.  This story brings all of the Feels and will rip out your heart.  And you will love it all the more for it.

Buy, read it, add it to your library, it's worth it.

From the publisher:
When Hazel Johnson and Mari McCray met at church bingo in 1963, it was love at first sight. Forced apart by their families and society, Hazel and Mari both married young men and had families. Decades later, now in their mid-’60s, Hazel and Mari reunite again at a church bingo hall. Realizing their love for each other is still alive, what these grandmothers do next takes absolute strength and courage. From TEE FRANKLIN (NAILBITER’s “THE OUTFIT,” Love is Love) and JENN ST-ONGE (Jem & The Misfits), BINGO LOVE is a touching story of love, family, and resiliency that spans over 60 years.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of Image Comics in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.
Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2018/02/book-review-bingo-love.html
review 2018-02-21 16:20
Mermaids Are Alive and In Love in Updrift by Errin Stevens @errinstevens
Updrift - Errin Stevens

I love mermaids! It’s that simple. I may have even been one in a former life.

That being said, it was a no brainer to want Updrift by Errin Stevens.

I mean, look at that cover. How can you resist it?

Updrift (The Mer Chronicles #1)

* Audible * B&N * Kobo * Book Depository

MY REVIEW

YAY! Mermaids! Love mermaids and the cover, so reading this is a no brainer. I immediately thought of Splash, only in reverse, the girl ‘falls’ in the water and falls in love with the ‘boy’. I’m hooked.

Updrift by Errin Stevens is Kate’s life from the time she is five years old to adulthood. I love seeing her grow and develop from an introverted nerd, to a strong, determined woman with desires that will not be denied and one who knows the difference between right and wrong and will step up.

After the death of her father, Kate and her mother move from Kansas to Griffin Bay, North Carolina for a fresh start.

Kate is confused about all the secrecy surrounding her and the push for her to fill her days with tons of schoolwork, an internship, and little to no socializing, especially with Gabe. And Gabe? And, now that they were meeting after being kept apart for so long, is he still interested in her? Were they being kept apart on purpose…And, what now?

Kate and Gabe do not sense the danger coming their way, but I do and I fear for them. What could they do, even if they knew?

I love all things in their mer world. They have their own set of rules and customs, but there are those who think changes need to be made. After all, it is the 21st century.

I haven’t read a book quite like Updrift and Errin Stevens’ mer world had me thinking, hey can I play too? Who wouldn’t want to swim with the fishes…in a good way?

I loved it and if you love mermaids as much as I do, this is one you want on your reading list. I want more, and thank goodness I have Breakwater, the second book in The Mer Chronicles waiting for me on my Kindle. As a matter of fact, I cannot wait and will begin…NOW.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Updrift by Errin Stevens.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE.

• animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/mermaids-are-alive-and-well-in-updrift-by-errin-stevens-errinstevens
review 2018-02-20 17:53
Horror Underground – When Blood Falls by Joshua Robertson @Robertsonwrites
When Blood Falls - Joshua Robertson,Winter Bayne

I couldn’t resist grabbing a copy of When Blood Falls by Joshua Roberts after seeing it on Instafreebie. That creepalicious cover did me in!

Cover:  Winter Bayne

When Blood Falls

MY REVIEW

When Blood Falls by Joshua Robertson has such a fabulous cover, and I am a sucker for a great cover, that I couldn’t help but grab a copy and read of his fantasy world in the Deep underground that is filled with monsters, surprises, and a future worth fighting for.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

Defending against the demons of the Deep has long given Tyr Og’s brethren purpose. When Tyr’s mother is robbed from him during childhood, he loses his will to live. Now, filled with rage and regret, Tyr hungers for a worthy death to bring an end to the futility of his life. In a short tale of blood and self-loathing, Tyr seeks the most honorable path to finally join his mother in the afterlife.

• If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gifLook on the right sidebar and let’ talk.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting fundinmental!

Source: www.fundinmental.com/horror-underground-when-blood-falls-by-joshua-robertson-robertsonwrites
review 2018-02-20 17:17
Do You Believe in Reincarnation – Implicit by Mark Tiro #MarkTiro
Implicit: Soul Invictus (The Spirit Invictus Series) - Mark Tiro

Do you believe in Reincarnation and second, third….and more chances to get it right? Meet Maya, as she travels through her many lives in Implicit Soul Invictus by Mark Tiro.

MY REVIEW

Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in second, third, fourth….chances to get it right? Mark Tiro gives Maya many chances to make the right choice at the right time. I haven’t read many books about reincarnation, but if it goes down like it does for Maya, I’m not sure I want to know.

I was angry and fuming from the opening pages. I feel for Maya and wonder where we’re going from here. I am so pissed for her and at the arrogant, spoiled rich shit. Then…it really goes to hell in a hand basket, as gunmen let loose, bullets fly, bodies fall, and blood runs.

In everyone’s life, a crucial moment comes when they could change the outcome of an event. Would it be for the better?

As I read Implicit my Mark Tiro, it seems the good die young and senselessly. For what? Is it random?

The life and death scenarios of Maya’s present and past lives showcase moments in her life where action can change the outcome.

Heartbreaking, angering, frustrating…

Follow your heart, don’t let others words sway you to do what you feel is wrong.

Sometimes the road traveled is bumpy and twisted, but it is life and we never know what tomorrow will bring.

Does your life pass before your eyes as you die? Is there life after death? Only losers play the what if game, holding onto grudges that hurt them more than anyone else.

Maya’s lives run the gamut of emotions, sadness, happiness, anger, envy…Definitely food for thought.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Implicit Soul Invictus by Mark Tiro.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

READ MORE HERE.

• animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/do-you-believe-in-reincarnation-implicit-by-mark-tiro-marktiro