logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-21 18:51
Annoyingly vague review
Closed Circles (Sandhamn Murders Book 2) - Viveca Sten,Laura A. Wideburg

Ya know what's frustrating? Like lips moving from Heaven to flapping at you frustrating? NOT BEING ABLE TO TELL YOU WHY THIS ISN'T A 4-STAR REVIEW. Because major, major spoilers would be required for me to do that.

Minor irks: Carina and Thomas are brought up and dropped in the space of a few sentences. I'd like more of that please. The partial resolution of Nora's marital woes is a good start, but this entry has next to no Nora-and-Thomas time and I missed it. The Eva subplot's resolution doesn't seem finished, somehow. It seems unlikely to be complete as it stands and it itches for that reason.

Something about these books and their lutefisk-and-cardamom atmosphere makes me crave a jalapeño cheeseburger. I guess that's an index of how very Swedish they are. And how cozy are they? So cozy I want to cruise the piers (I'd have to learn to time-travel, but that's just an added bonus) to recover from the wholesome.

So all in all, a good read and a series I can recommend to my smut-averse, violence-averse puzzle-solving friends.

review 2018-04-21 15:18
The Scarecrow Queen - Melinda Salisbury

“In every fairy tale there is a kernel of truth, and that is the truth of this one. For him, I am poison. I am his death. And I will deliver.”

text 2018-04-20 15:16
Movie Review: Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

I’m a fan of Marvel Cinematic and have enjoyed the films produced, some are better then others, but I still enjoy watching them all and seeing the big picture. My favorites or the Iron Man movies and The Avengers. I’m a fan of the Black Widow. As for Thor I’ve enjoyed the movies, but they weren’t great. It has felt like Thor has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to his films until now.

Here in Thor: Ragnarok I was blown away. It was AMAZING and is by far the best prediction of a Thor franchise movie to date.

Thor’s been searching for the Infinity Stones and has seen Ragnarok in his dreams. He’s trying to prevent the end of days.

I laughed so hard in this movie. Their was one funny moment after another. The cinema tronics was spectacular. I loved the storyline. Loved the characters and seeing them grow and make new friendships.

I have to say my favorites in this film are the two lead females. We have our evil Goddess Hela and the introduction of a Valkyrie. The introduction of these two strong women was marvelous. Even though Hela is evil, she was wickedly terrific to watch. Cate Blanchett played the role superbly. Just watching Hela do her evil thing was cool to see. Then our Valkyrie who is in a dark place, but finds her way out and stands tall once again.

Then of course Loki, Thor and Hulk where amazing as well. I liked seeing the brothers together again. Thor has grown and learned that Loki will always be the trickster, still doing the same thing over and over, yet in the end they fight together to safe lives. Then we have Hulk and Thor spending time together and making a friendship, a deeper friendship. We also get to see the Hulk character and how he wants people to see him as more and on the plant he is on, he is the Champaign.

Thor: Ragnarok has no shortage of action, adventure, and humor. By far one of my favorites.

Bought Video

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2018/04/movie-review-thor-ragnarok-2017
review 2018-04-20 10:00
Release Day Review! Shifter Bound (Pack Bound #3) Leisl Leighton!
Shifter Bound (Pack Bound) - Leisl Leighton

One pack, one coven, a destiny intertwined...

Five hundred years ago, facing extinction, a group of powerful witches united to create a pact with the Were to save witch-kind. The pact expelled an ancient evil, known only as the Darkness, that was blocking the Were from their wolves. With the Darkness destroyed, the Packs and their Covens grew strong as they thrived beside each other in their brand-new world.

But the Darkness was not destroyed.

Shifter-Witch Eloise O’Brien has betrayed her Coven and almost killed her brother to save the Were Pack she’d infiltrated as a spy. Now living with the Were she once feared and hated, she learns the truth of who she really is—the prophesied Nexus. A witch of unspeakable power, she must make a choice between the light and the dark, between Iain McShane, the Lone Wolf she is coming to love, and her once beloved brother and Coven who are now working for the Darkness.

The intriguing Pack Bound saga continues in another thrilling romance that keeps readers on the edge of their seat as the wolves and the witches struggle to accept the changes that are taking place in the pack and with the never ending attacks by their evil nemesis.

All the characters in this series are strong and compelling, easily captivating readers with their lives and their romances and Eloise and Iain have a strong sizzling attraction that is pulls them together but their romance is full of strife and upheaval that tugs at readers’ heartstrings and keeps them fully invested in the story emotionally as well as being kept intrigued with every things that is going on.

The suspense and intrigue of all the exciting events that take place in this story keeps readers on the edge of their seat with anticipation as well as keeping them wondering just how the pack will overcome all the adversity and insecurities that flow from the pages as their enemy comes up with new ways to kill off the pack and anyone who gets in their way. There is lots of twists and turns to ensure that the readers can’t possible guess what will happen next.

I was completely caught up in the suspense of the story as well as this emotionally turbulent romance where both the hero and heroine seem to think that neither has a chance at a ‘happily ever after’. This series continues to enthrall me and their enemy continues to incite some very strong emotions from me as well, so needless to say I can’t wait to find out what happens in Moon Bound which is supposed to be released next month.

Shifter Bound is the 3rd book in the Pack Bound series.

The 4th book - Wolf Bound will be released on May 1, 2018

Shifter Bound is available in ebook at:

Amazon   GPlay   Kobo   B&N   iBooks

Leisl Leighton can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Twitter   Facebook

review 2018-04-20 00:51
Debut author surprises with a clever YA thriller, one that I hope doesn’t fly under the radar
Lies You Never Told Me - Jennifer Donaldson

Well, this was a surprise. The whole book was a surprise just like the secrets and lies held within, all the way until the end.

I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway some time ago and didn’t have the chance to get to it until just now, and I feel like it’s one of those books that’s going to fly under the radar and it shouldn’t.
Debut author Jennifer Donaldson has written a very cleverly crafted young adult mystery/thriller that for a good portion of it, reads like a contemporary novel, and is told through with the voices of two main characters, Gabe and Elyse, who seem to live very separate lives. There are also two other main characters central to the story, Catherine and Sasha. Gabe is a young Hispanic skater boy who tries to break up with a very possessive, but popular, high school girl called Sasha, and she is making it be known that she is not happy about this. He has a six year old sister Vivi, with special needs, who he cares very much for, and is close with his family. Elyse, on the other hand, lives a very different sort of life. She has basically fended for herself for years, even paying the household bills with jobs while she has been in high school; her mother is addicted to opiates and spends most of the time out of it lying on the couch. She has come to rely on nobody but herself, and doesn’t expect anything good of the world. Which is why, when she gets chosen for the lead in Romeo and Juliet, she can’t believe she has got the part over her best friend Brynn, but soon is swept off her feet by the school drama teacher, Mr. Hunter.
I generally try not to guess endings of stories, and I’m not one to skip ahead, so, at least for me, this novel cleverly gives you one wallop over the head when you realize what the big twist is at the end. I can not say one thing more, lest I give anything away, but this is one clever book and had me engaged entirely. There are some big topics involved here too - scary exes with major infatuation problems, and teacher-student relationships, not to mention addiction issues - but the two running storylines are excellently written and don’t rap you over the head with the morality stick (you get to think about those afterwards). I hope this gets picked up by a good lot of people who enjoy thrillers with a side of romance (there’s a lot of ‘sweet’ to go with the ‘salty’), and it’s super smart.
I’d be on the lookout for what Jennifer Donaldson writes next because I believe there are a lot more phenomenal books in her yet.
*Thank you Goodreads and Razorbill for the early copy of this book!