logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-26 17:51
The Scot Beds His Wife by Kerrigan Byrne
The Scot Beds His Wife (Victorian Rebels) - Kerrigan Byrne

***Full Review***

Samantha has always had it rough growing up in America's Wild West but when the man she married to escape a worse fate turns out to be in an outlaw gang with his brothers, she realizes she may have made a mistake. When she makes a fatal decision to save another life, she gets the opportunity to start fresh in a new country.
Gavin has wanted nothing more than to separate himself from his brutish dead father's name and buying the Ross land gives him that chance. When Alison Ross finally comes back to Scotland from America, he makes it his mission to woo her land from her.
Samantha and Gavin have tough pasts but also deep feelings developing, their held secrets and lies will have to be overcome if they're to survive.

"I don't think I believe in villains. Heroes either. Just people. People with agendas and the things they're willing to do to get what they want."

Fifth in the Victorian Rebels series, Gavin Thorne is the middle brother of villainous Hamish MacKenzie's sons. It's possible to pick this book up without reading the others in the series as the author does a pretty good job of explaining the animosity between him and his brother Liam (hero from #3 The Highlander) and Samantha is a new character not previous mentioned in the other books. Even knowing the background between the two brothers, Gavin's arguing with his brother came off a bit immature as it seemed an adult in his late thirties should have figured out that the blame towards his brother was a bit misplaced. The relationship between Gavin and Liam fell into the pitfall of not feeling fleshed out enough, along with other relationships in the book.

She was little better than a banshee with a sidearm.

While Gavin had a tendency to come off a bit immature, his bed hopping and general rogue actions are supposed to be cover for his pain, Samantha was our hard as nails, mouth like a sailor, and stubborn heroine. There is seriously a lot of cursing in this story and most of it done by Samantha. This being a historical, I have to say, it threw me a bit. Obviously, women cursed in the 1800s but the frequency with which Samantha threw out the f word and ease of saying sh*t, couldn't help but give it an awkward modern feel; a personal dislike. I don't want to get into spoilers because this is an ARC review, but the secrets and lies Samantha holds until very close to the end of the story, made it very hard for me to ever warm up to her. In fact, the very bottom heavy feel of this book, was one of the biggest problems I had with it.

"I'm not asking ye to like me, lass, only to marry me."

If you've read the other books in the series, you'll know the author's writing can veer towards almost purple prose. The wordiness, flowery, and waxing poetic descriptive writing needed to be edited down; it kept the story from furthering along while making it drag. It wasn't until around the 70% mark that I felt the author started to get down to business of building a relationship between our hero and heroine; previously felt completely based on lust. The last 30% was full of reasons why I'm a big fan of this author, the hero and heroine engage in conversations that were witty, funny, and moving while all the secondary characters and side plot lines were coming together to create an intriguing and interesting story. Unfortunately, with some pretty heavy secrets not getting revealed until the 90% point, there just wasn't enough time to resolve and build a believable and emotionally satisfying romantic relationship for me. There was a slight secondary romance between the hero's mother and pseudo-father figure that I felt had more emotion and romance than the main couple.

With a heroine that holds onto her secrets for far too long and a hero whose emotions felt based on lust, I was disappointed in the romance. The majority of the story focused on needless over descriptive dreamy writing while ignoring to the very end the building blocks of emotion. I have a feeling the next two heroes are introduced here, Gavin's friend Callum seems to have quite the backstory with the real Alison Ross and our secretive pirate The Rook mentioned in previous books makes an upfront appearance here. The author has created a dark and intriguing world for this series, I'm going to treat this installment as a one off and be back for the next.

"Who knew being married was such fun," he panted, pressing a kiss to her temple and swatting her backside simultaneously.
She pulled back to look at him, one of her rare, reluctant smiles tugging at the corner of her kiss-reddened mouth. "You probably should have done it years ago."
"Nay, lass," he said suddenly feeling very serious. "Then it wouldna have been ye."

review 2017-09-26 15:47
Remote Viewing & The CIA – Vicki’s Key by P M Terrell @pmterrell
Vicki's Key (Black Swamp Mysteries, #2) - P. M. Terrell

Vicki’s Key by P M Terrell has been sitting, ever so patiently, on my Kindle…waiting for me to find it again. It’s like that one sock that your washing machine eats, only I don’t think ya ever find that one, but I did find Vicki’s Key. And I am glad that I did.

This was a fabulous read and I would love to visit Vicki again, and again, and again….

Vicki's Key (Black Swamp Mysteries, #2)

Goodreads  /  Amazon US  /  Amazon UK  /  Amazon CA

MY REVIEW

I found the true aspects of the government use and involvement in the psychic truly amazing.

I love everything about the book, the swamp for burying bodies, secrets to be revealed and remote viewing to exotic locations…and into danger. But, sometimes, danger is closer than you think.

The CIA wanted her to stay, but after her last mission, she knew it was time to move on. Does she really believe they would let her walk away?

She was an orphan, with siblings she knew nothing about. She didn’t know how the CIA found her. She grew up in an institutional setting under their guidance and control, treated like nothing more than a lab rat, taught to perform. They wanted her psychic ability, not her, the person. It’s a wonder she didn’t go mad or turn to the dark side.

She wanted a life…a normal life and she was going to Lumberton, North Carolina to find it. She would serve an apprenticeship, of sorts, with an old lady and her tropical fish. Easy peasy, right?

She immediately runs into Dylan Maguire, the fish lady’s nephew. Woo hoo to the hottie, but Vicki’s spidey senses are tingling, just a little for her, but a lot for me. I think there is much more to him than meets the eye, but I like him nonetheless. He has an air of danger, yet a sweetness and desire to please her.

It’s a good thing Dylan can cook, because Vicki can’t even brew a cup of coffee. Who is this man Dylan, loving, caring, thoughtful, romantic and sweet, yet fiery, passionate, protective and beware those who wish Vicki harm

Vicki can psychically project herself to a specific place and time, able to tell everything about the place, the people, and the events taking place. Better than GPS.

So…I wonder how long Vicki will contain her curiosity about the elusive Auntie and open the door to the forbidden room.

I love that the mystery and problems popped up early. Gets me involved, invested in the story and the characters. I really do think thing’s are ‘fishy’, but who is the guilty party and what it’s all about I can’t say for sure…yet. Will she be in danger? And from whom?

The mystery is slow building. It is no surprise they both have secrets, baggage that has followed them to Lumberton. P M Terrell has created mysteries within mysteries and I am unable to figure them out. She weaves intrigue and danger into a suspenseful romance with characters I love to hate and love to love. I am a sucker for happy ever after endings and I am waiting for Vicki’s knight in tarnished armor to come to her rescue. Now…that’s a surprise!

P M Terrell keeps the romance light and sweet.

Vicki’s Key by P M Terrell had everything I could want and more. Some truth, some fiction, woven into a rich and complicated tale that left me wanting more.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Vicki’s Key by P M Terrell.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/remote-viewing-the-cia-vickis-key-by-p-m-terrell-pmterrell
review 2017-09-26 14:53
Is She Haunted…Or is there a Deadly Ruse by E Michael Helms @EMichaelHelms
Deadly Ruse: A Mac McClellan Mystery - E. Michael Helms

I love the Mac McClellan Mystery Series by E Michael Helms.

Mac McClellan makes me think of Magnum PI and Rockford Files.

Sooo, come on in for some chuckles along with the mystery.

Deadly Ruse (Mac McClellan #2)

Amazon  US  /  Amazon UK  /  Amazon CA  /  Goodreads

Cover:  Grace M Conti-Zilsberger

MY REVIEW

Deadly Ruse is Book II of the Mac McClellan Mystery series. These novels will stand alone.

What do a blown up boat, a crashed airplane, sparkling “ice” and drugs have in common…Mac McClellan.

Mac is a former Marine and after helping to solve a crime in Deadly Catch, Book I, he has decided to become a Private Investigator.

Kate is his girlfriend. On a date with Mac, a ghost enters her life. She is sure her ex boyfriend has risen from the dead. She doesn’t realize how lucky she was to have escaped when she did.

The case of Dead Man Walking will be Mac’s introduction to becoming a private investigator. It is not a dream, but more like a nightmare come back to haunt Kate and it could have deadly consequences.

Mac lives in a camper in the Florida Panhandle. Shades of Rockford Files come to mind and I am very familiar with the territory. I love when the characters cross the same bridges and drive the same streets I have traveled.

Mac plows through interviews, quickly getting the hang of it, learning a little finesse one interview at a time.

Deadly Ruse is a twisted web of lies and deceit. We have a lot of suspects and intrigue.

E Micheal Helms keeps the mystery and suspense building as we travel the Gulf Coast looking for answers. The mystery stretches from Georgia, through Florida and into South America. Who is alive? Who is dead? And why? I did need a flow chart to help me separate the good from the bad, but it all comes together in the end.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Deadly Ruse by E Michael Helms.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/is-she-haunted-or-is-there-a-deadly-ruse-by-e-michael-helms-emichaelhelms
review 2017-09-26 14:17
Review: Sweet Tea and Sympathy (Southern Eclectic #1) by Molly Harper
Sweet Tea and Sympathy - Molly Harper

Nestled on the shore of Lake Sackett, Georgia is the McCready Family Funeral Home and Bait Shop. (What, you have a problem with one-stop shopping?) Two McCready brothers started two separate businesses in the same building back in 1928, and now it’s become one big family affair. And true to form in small Southern towns, family business becomes everybody’s business.

Margot Cary has spent her life immersed in everything Lake Sackett is not. As an elite event planner, Margot’s rubbed elbows with the cream of Chicago society, and made elegance and glamour her business. She’s riding high until one event goes tragically, spectacularly wrong. Now she’s blackballed by the gala set and in dire need of a fresh start—and apparently the McCreadys are in need of an event planner with a tarnished reputation.

As Margot finds her footing in a town where everybody knows not only your name, but what you had for dinner last Saturday night and what you’ll wear to church on Sunday morning, she grudgingly has to admit that there are some things Lake Sackett does better than Chicago—including the dating prospects. Elementary school principal Kyle Archer is a fellow fish-out-of-water who volunteers to show Margot the picture-postcard side of Southern living. The two of them hit it off, but not everybody is happy to see an outsider snapping up one of the town's most eligible gentleman. Will Margot reel in her handsome fish, or will she have to release her latest catch.

The beginning of this book was a bit rough for me. But just because there are so many people right away and that was a bit overwhelming. But the more we get into the story the more fun it was. And actually come to think of it made us feel like Margot, who also was not used to such a bug family and the small town living. This book was a fun, sweet and sexy story. But also with some heartbreak, and a lot of heartwarming moments. ‘ I really enjoyed the story, it was well written, a great pacing and was nicely balanced between humor and heartbreak. Margot was a little annoying at the beginning but she grew on me. I did however enjoy Kyle right away. He was charming and funny and yet a bit of a mystery The side characters where just as much part of the story as the main couple, which I really enjoyed. Overall fun m entertaining and romantic book. I rate it 4 ★

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

Will be available November 21st 2017

Molly Harper

Molly Harper worked for six years as a reporter and humor columnist for The Paducah Sun. Her reporting duties included covering courts, school board meetings, quilt shows, and once, the arrest of a Florida man who faked his suicide by shark attack and spent the next few months tossing pies at a local pizzeria. Molly lives in western Kentucky with her family.

Links

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-sweet-tea-sympathy-southern-eclectic-1-molly-harper
review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-09-26 09:45
#63 - Tower of Dawn by Sarah J Maas
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass) - Sarah J. Maas

I think I can say that this one is my least favourite in the series. Maybe because it does not feature Aelin and Manon? I don't really know, but I preferred the other books in the series. I still enjoy reading this book, it was great to learn more about the Southern Continent.

I love the new characters, Yrene is really great, another strong independent woman (just like any other female character in this book). I also love the royal family of Antica, we do not get to know all of them but it was still great to learn more about how they rule their land.

I found the pacing a bit too slow, the relationship between Yrene and Chaol is really great, but too slow at the beginning and then too fast towards the end. I don't know if other people had the same feeling but it felt a bit too forced. Still, I love that they ended up together, they are really perfect for each other.

I also liked the fact that Aelin is the one who found Yrene when she was younger and that it is thanks to her that she became who she is today. It was a beautiful detail to add.

I really enjoyed the fact that we got to see what happened to Chaol during the event of Empire of Storms, I love that they take place at the same time. We understand so many things in Tower of Dawn, I think I could not keep track of everything. The biggest revelation is of course the one about Maeve, I really did not see that coming. I knew there was something wrong about her but I could never have predicted that... I am always really happy when this happens.

In general, I think this book was just a bit too long considering what happened. It could have been shorter in my opinion, so that the pacing could have been faster.

I still really enjoy this book, don't get me wrong! I just preferred the other heroes of this story who are currently on the Northern Continent and I really miss them in this book.

I can't wait for the next book in the series, I missed Manon!