logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-26 08:05
Release Event w/Review - Call To Engage

The Poseidon team are hard-bodied, fiercely competitive Navy SEALs. But when a sensitive mission goes disastrously wrong, three of the team's finest will have to trust their hearts and instincts to uncover the truth…CALL TO ENGAGE will delight fans of UNDER PRESSURE by Lori Foster and A SEAL’S PLEDGE by Cora Seton!

About Call to Engage:

Genres: Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense/Military Romance

ISBN: (Digital) 9781460397886
ISBN: (Print)
9780373801961

Lieutenant Elijah Prescott should be spending his precious leave somewhere with sun, surf and scantily clad women. Instead, he's heading home with two goals in mind. Figure out exactly how his last assignment went to hell and almost killed him—and reconnect with the woman who might offer salvation.

Ava Monroe has streamlined her life, eliminating every source of pain—including a marriage touched by tragedy. One glimpse of her ex and those good intentions turn to bad-girl desires. Her strategy: get over Elijah by getting under him again, sating herself until she can finally let go. But as betrayal within the rank of the SEALs turns deadly, there's no denying that her heart and her life are on the line. Elijah is the only man who can protect both…

Add to your TBR list: Goodreads

Available Online:

Amazon | Harlequin | Kobo | B&N | iBooks

Excerpt:

An excerpt from CALL TO ENGAGE

Copyright © Tawny Weber 2017

Incredible.

That was the only word in his head as the aftershocks trembled through their bodies.

Incredible.

And then he came down.

Not in a nice, slow, gentle descent, either.

Nope, he crashed like a plane plummeting from the sky to ram into a mountainside.

He’d just had sex.

With Ava.

His ex-wife. The only woman he’d ever loved. The only one he’d ever wanted to love. The one who’d broken his heart into tiny little pieces and tossed them aside.

Shit.

His body still slick with sweat, the scent of Ava wrapped around him like a second skin, Elijah wondered if she realized that while extracting her promise of no regrets, he hadn’t offered the same.

After all, Elijah knew just how pointless promises could be. Especially the ones between him and Ava.

His body spent, his mind worn, he couldn’t find anything left to offer up on the altar of past regrets, though. He wrapped his arm tighter around her shoulders. Ava responded by snuggling closer, her thigh nestled between his as she shifted her chin into the indention where his shoulder met his chest. Her breath fluttered over his throat, soft and easy in sleep.

Regret?

Oh yeah, he knew he’d regret this in the morning. Hell—he glanced out the window, gauging the time from the angle of the moon—it was nearing dawn and the regret was already winding through him. Shoving aside pleasure, easing out satisfaction.

Closing his eyes against it, he drifted into sleep with her hand entwined with his, the twisted band of her ring rubbing gently between his fingers.

And he knew it for the talisman it was, the hope that lifted him from his nightmares.

If only for tonight.

Because nobody knew better than Elijah that tonight was all they had.

Call to Engage (Team Poseidon #2)Call to Engage by Tawny Weber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the 2nd book in the Team Poseidon series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For reader enjoyment and understanding of the series & characters, I recommend reading this fast paced series in order.

Elijah has a lot going on at work and in his personal life. He comes home to rest, and runs smack into his ex. He may be ready to make major changes in his life. If only he could decide between the professional and the personal that haunt him.

Ava is completely turned upside down to see her ex-husband. Too many memories just bombard her at the sight of him. Can she forgive and forget? It is obvious they still feel something for one another.... and hopefully they won't set anything but themselves on fire with all this heat.

Such an incredible series! This book shows that not only is this series getting hotter, but the author just kicks it up a notch with each story. I felt for the characters in this book. I could tell they needed one another. And...the sparks.... well let's just say you may want to read this on with the fan facing you. Something for everyone in this story.

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

About Tawny Weber:

New York Times and USA TODAY Bestselling author of more than forty books, Tawny Weber loves writing about sexy heroes, most notably her popular Navy SEALs series. Her sassy, emotional romances are filled with men dedicated to being the best—and women determined to have the best. Tawny credits her ex-military alpha husband for inspiration in her writing, and in her life. The recipient of numerous writing accolades, including Romantic Times Reviewers Choice and in addition to the NY Times and USA Today bestseller lists, Tawny has also hit the number one spot on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

A homeschooling mom, Tawny enjoys scrapbooking, gardening and spending time with her family and dogs in her Northern California home.

Connect with Tawny:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Rafflecopter for Call to Engage Blitz Tour Giveaway:

One (1) lucky winner a $25 Amazon Gift Card! To enter, simply fill out the Rafflecopter below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Direct Link:

review 2017-06-26 05:37
Complicated
Lost and Found Sisters - Jill Shalvis

Quinn has suffered a tragic loss with her sister now gone for two years.  The news she gets that sets her back even more, causes her to go looking for the why.  Arriving in the sleepy town, she finds there is someone else who suffered a loss that needs her.

Mick is just back visiting his mother.  Trying to help her move on from the pain and the house that haunts them both.  Meeting Quinn makes staying in town a bit more exciting.  She is in need of a steady hand, and it could be his that helps her up.

Sweet and fragile are two words I thought while reading this novel.  It has many great pieces that make it fun and still the author's work.  I just found it a bit slower than the norm.  The high points were the sexy times and the banter.  You should never miss those.  I give this story a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-06-26 05:21
Hurts so good
Call to Engage: A Romance Novel (Seal Brotherhood Novel) - Tawny Weber

This is the 2nd book in the Team Poseidon series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader enjoyment and understanding of the series & characters, I recommend reading this fast paced series in order.

Elijah has a lot going on at work and in his personal life.  He comes home to rest, and runs smack into his ex.  He may be ready to make major changes in his life.  If only he could decide between the professional and the personal that haunt him.

Ava is completely turned upside down to see her ex-husband.  Too many memories just bombard her at the sight of him.  Can she forgive and forget?  It is obvious they still feel something for one another.... and hopefully they won't set anything but themselves on fire with all this heat.

Such an incredible series!  This book shows that not only is this series getting hotter, but the author just kicks it up a notch with each story.  I felt for the characters in this book.  I could tell they needed one another.  And...the sparks.... well let's just say you may want to read this on with the fan facing you.  Something for everyone in this story.  I give this book a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

review 2017-06-26 01:57
How To Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
How to Win Friends & Influence People - Dale Carnegie

"One of the core ideas in his books is that it is possible to change other people's behavior by changing one's reaction to them."

As I read this book the main word that kept jumping out at me is 'manipulation.'
By doing (or not doing) certain things, you are kind of manipulating the person into doing what you want. I am not a proponent of manipulation by any means. I do feel that helping the other person come to their own conclusions through some of these principles is helpful.

I read a review on this book by a reader on GoodReads and she said that this book had a negative effect on her life. With any self-help books that you read, you must take things with a grain of salt. With "How To Win Friends And Influence People," I believe many of the insights are mainly geared to a person who is in business (salesperson.) That is not to say parts may not be applied to personal friendships/relationships. I think you have to remain true to your personality and not force something that is not natural.

The negative reviewer said "The book basically tells you to be agreeable to everybody, find something to honestly like about them and compliment them on it, talk about their interests only and, practically, act like a people pleaser all the time. After being a smiley happy person with loads of friends for about a year, the unpleasant realization began to creep in, that by being so agreeable to everybody else, I rarely ever got my way. I also sustained friendships with people who were self-centered, so talking about their interests was all we got to do together, which drained me of my energy. The worst thing still, is that by trying to find something to like about every person, I completely disregarded their glaring faults. It didn't matter that those people did have redeeming
qualities - they weren't redeeming enough! I ended up with a bunch of friends I didn't really want and, because I was so preoccupied with "winning" those friendships I missed out on the chance to form relationships with good people."

I think what the reviewer did was to conform to the different principles and took them to heart a bit too much. There is definitely a time and place for everything and if you're using these principles all of the time, well that can seriously get tiring in my opinion. If you're thinking of reading this book because you are lonely & want friends, don't read it.

I read this book on my Kindle and plan on going back to all of the notes I highlighted. A lot of what is presented in this book is common knowledge, it's just that it is presented in a way that really makes you think about how to use the principles. Having examples of each is also extremely helpful.

I think this book should be a requirement for college or anyone working in a business setting. I also believe it was completely written at the time aimed towards salesmen. Not all people have the natural ability to do the things presented in this book; some do. This book is obviously a best seller for a reason and I think the reason is the way the principles are presented.

review 2017-06-26 01:03
NO ORDINARY STAR BY: M.C. FRANK
No Ordinary Star - Frank M. Turner

<!-- x-tinymce/html -->

"He doesn't look like a Drone at all. He looks...he looks like a Felix. He looks like something only he could be in the entire One World, in the universe. All people used to look like that, once, her father had told her. They used to be like that."

No Ordinary Star was a very interesting read! Set in the year 2524, where things are much different than they are now. Boys and Girls grown in labs rather than being born to parents, and being raised separately from one another, each into their predetermined gender roles in life. In a world where there is no hunger or illness anymore, but there's also no wonder, no family, no love.

is this real life

"It doesn't enter his mind right then that he's been robbed of all of this, of beauty, of life, of the very world for seventeen years."

Felix, an impressive soldier in the Chairman's Army, Astra, a rebel on the run, and Ursa, maybe the last polar bear in existence, band together as reluctant comrades to figure out what is really happening in the world around them, and what has brought them all to this deserted Clockmaster's home full of secrets, treasures, and hopefully answers.

"She knows what they are; at least she thinks she does. They're the most dangerous weapons, and none are supposed to have survived the Revision. But the Rebels had a couple of them, caked in the mud of decades and half burned -they'd been salvaged from the Revision burnings- still she's fairly certain that's what they were.

Books.

"Oh," she gasps.

In here there are thousands of them. A room full of weaponry -illegal weaponry."

book magic

I really enjoyed the dystopian world that Frank has created! I am curious to find out even more about it. I feel like we've only just had a glimpse of it here. I like the coming together of these radically different people like Astra and Felix. Astra has been raised by rebels and has a lot more insight into how messed up this world is and exactly what drones like Felix have been missing out on. On the flip side, Felix has been a good little soldier and quickly climbed the ranks of the chairman's army and his knowledge of the inner workings of the whole system is vast. I can't help but think that this will come in very handy later on in the series. Survival in the harsh elements of the Clockmaster's home has kind of forced them to rely on one another just to make it. But there was definitely a sense by the end that they were forming, at least a shaky sort of alliance.

snow.gif

"Why does it feel like it's the greatest felony of all, the biggest crime in the Planet, that this smart, animated little person who's managed to keep herself as well as him alive for days, isn't able to put letters together to read a simple phrase?"

This was a quick read that set an intriguing foundation for this kind of frightening futuristic dystopian world. I am looking forward to seeing how things proceed from here! Also has to be said that this cover is so GORGEOUS!! I might just have to pick up the physical copy to add to my shelves!

**This book (and its sequel) is currently only $0.99 on Amazon for the Kindle copy right now!

If you're interested, you can get your copy here: https://goo.gl/A4hzKY