logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-20 17:32
Review: Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost
Up From the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death… because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear — will be hovering on the edge of the grave.

This is the final book in the Night Huntress series . On the one hand it was bitter-sweet to see Cat, Bones and friends go on the other it was time.

Now that I finished the complete series I think it was overdue. I would have been happy with five great books instead of the last two books seeming like Mrs. Frost is running out of ideas and just forcing things to happen.

This was not any different for this last book. Don’t get me wrong I liked it (well most of it) but it was not the same as what we got in the beginning of the series.

Sure we get the same characters, but something just seemed to be missing.

As far as this last book goes. I liked it we have Cat and Bones in full actions to not only save themselves but to prevent yet another full-blown war between the species. At the same time they ate trying to figure out what the government or more Madigan is and was up to. Once it is revealed what he has been up to, I thought “NO WAY”. But not in a good way.

I really didn’t care for this part of the story, it seemed too farfetched and yet reminded me of another vampire franchise, that done that. I didn’t care for what we find out. Not because it was (sort of) done before but because it just didn’t seem to fit and felt very forced.

I liked Cat in this book for the most part, except a few parts where she seemed to have lost the ability to think clearly. But mostly she as okay and it is rather amazing how far and how much she grown since the first book.

Bones, well he was Bones not much more to him and his moody self. Let’s not forget Tate.  Things change for him in a big…… I thought he handled it better that I thought he would fort being Tate that is.

Charles or Spade as we mostly known him, he used to be more the books and I used to like him but ever since the whole Denise thing, he turned into a big ole douche at least that is what I thought.,

Denise on the other grown so much, she might have even outgrown Spade and all the others. I really loved her in this book.

One other person I surprised me in this book and that was Ian. Man did I love him in this book, we learn so much more about him and I wish we would get more of him. Maybe someday as a spin-off we get Ian.

Overall I liked this book, it had suspense, humor, romance and action.  I rate the book at 3★     ...I wish I could have rated it higher being the last but it is what it is.

But that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the entire series, I sure did and I will miss Cat & Co for sure.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

***

“Shame on you, Crispin. Married how long, and you haven't spanked your wife with a metal spatula yet?"

***

“Only a fool chooses to live in ignorance when knowledge is so easily obtained.”

***

“That's how two vampires, a medium, and a dog came to sit around a Ouija board in the back room of a floral shop.”

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Jeaniene Frost

Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her.

For information on Jeaniene's books, reading the first 20% of each book free, book trailers, deleted scenes, creature mythology, and more, please visit: www.jeanienefrost.com

Links

Website *** Faceboook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/review-grave-night-huntress-7-jeaniene-frost
review 2017-07-20 03:25
[REVIEW] Sex Object by Jessica Valenti
Sex Object - Jessica Valenti
What it feels like to see a stranger smiling while rubbing himself or know that this is the price of doing business while female. That public spaces are not really public for you, but a series of surprise private moments that you can't prevent or erase.
Pg. 65

This book is hard to rate. It was incredibly easy to read, but it also contains extremely uncomfortable subjects: date rape, sexual harassment, molestation, and many other issues.

Ms. Valenti tries to understand how she survives and functions in a world that is hell-bent on shaming her for existing, for having a body, for having an opinion and sharing it.

For the most part, the essays are uncomfortably honest and raw. They make you angry, they make you sad, they make you think what sort of experiences you've gone through that you've refused to talk about because you don't want to take space or make anyone uncomfortable. This book isn't uplifting. It's melancholic, detached but it makes you think.

review 2017-07-19 23:52
Are You Sleeping/Kathleen Barber
Are You Sleeping - Kathleen L. Barber

Josie Buhrman has spent the last ten years trying to escape her family’s reputation and with good reason. After her father's murder thirteen years prior, her mother ran away to join a cult and her twin sister Lanie, once Josie’s closest friend and confidant, betrayed her in an unimaginable way. Now, Josie has finally put down roots in New York, settling into domestic life with her partner Caleb, and that’s where she intends to stay.

The only problem is that she has lied to Caleb about every detail of her past—starting with her last name.

When investigative reporter Poppy Parnell sets off a media firestorm with a mega-hit podcast that reopens the long-closed case of Josie’s father’s murder, Josie’s world begins to unravel. Meanwhile, the unexpected death of Josie’s long-absent mother forces her to return to her Midwestern hometown where she must confront the demons from her past—and the lies on which she has staked her future.

This was fine. This was solid. This was unexceptional, but enjoyable.

If there had been more backstory to this, it might have been more captivating. I felt like the characters were pretty bland and needed some salt. Josie especially. She's gone and changed her name, completely reinvented herself. I want to know how this went about. I want to see her changing and know if that was hard for her. But we're kind of just thrown in the middle of things. I never quite understood why she couldn't forgive or at least talk to her sister.

I also felt like the women were angsty all the time and completely fell into a trope of being unstable. Her boyfriend, Caleb, could have made them angsty and could have caused a lot of conflict, but he and Josie just travel places and sometimes raise their voices a little but for the most part, skate by without the realistic drama I wanted to read about.

However, despite my issues with characterization, this was a pretty easy read and I enjoyed it all the way through. The podcasts were a lot of fun--I understand why so many people across the nation were captivated by them and drawn in.

There was a lot of telling to this story and I never quite felt very actively involved, which is a shame, because the plot was interesting enough and there was a pretty big mystery that should have had me flipping pages furiously.

If you're looking for a solid okay, this has a cool premise. If you want extraordinary characters, go somewhere else.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-07-19 20:06
[Book Review] Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman
Rating: ★★★★★

You can read this review on my blog.

I'm always up for a nice spooky mystery, and honestly this has everything I want from a book in that genre. Old town in the middle of nowhere? Check. Spooky ghosts? Check. Lots and lots of secrets? Check. But what makes this book even more interesting is that it's interactive. Spread throughout the book are passwords that you can type into the given website to watch videos. It's interesting to note that all of the passwords are titles of classic horror/gothic books.

The only problem I have with Skeleton Creek, and it may not even become a problem and I'm just being paranoid, but I feel like it's hinting at future romance. This book is great as it is, and there is no need for any romance. It's just unnecessary. Please just keep them as friends.

The book ended in a huge cliff hanger. I had to know what happened next, so I went out and got the rest of the series right away. I can't wait to see what happens next!

review 2017-07-19 16:41
Saving Paradise by Mike Bond @mikebondbooks
Saving Paradise - Mike Bond

Saving Paradise…..

I would like to thank Mike Bond and Mandevilla Press for the opportunity to read and review Saving Paradise.

Saving Paradise

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

A tropical island location and murder, I can hardly wait for my journey to begin.

The opening page brought to mind the beauty and wonder of Oahu, Hawaii.

Surfing zero. Dead body one.

Sylvia, literally, bumped into Pono Hawkins, as he hit the surf. But she wasn’t breathing any more.

I love everything about the guy. He’s rough around the edges, loves critters…and the ladies…he served in Afghanistan and even did time in prison, but he is not the bad guy.

Love he’s got a surfing dachshund. Imagine heading off to the beach, two boards strapped to the top of the car, head hanging out of the window, the dog’s head not his, just two ‘guys’ going surfing.

I can visualize that now. Come on. Close your eyes, smell the salty air, hear the crash of the waves and see Mojo, riding the waves, with his tongue hanging out and his tail wagging a mile a minute.  Mojo even liked to have a drink and a puff or two of Maui Wowie.

I loved the story about Prima, the cat, moving in and taking over.

The trouble began when he decided it was up to him to find Sylvia’s killer himself.

The danger mounts but he can’t figure where it’s coming from. Neither can I, but I do have a list of suspects. My head is spinning as I try to keep pace with him. I am confused with all the misinformation and setup going on.

Mojo…well, I sure didn’t see that coming. and I’m more pissed than ever.

Who to trust? Is everything a lie and everyone a liar? When he talks about vets, marijuana and the government, it makes me angry. We don’t take good enough care of the people who lay their lives on the line for us and we do own them a good life…no matter the cost.

The war talk made me angry but that’s for another day. We are here to solve the murders and expose corruption.

Big government, big business, greed and disregard for natural resources. Could it be the end of Paradise? How can you fight billions of dollars with nothing?  How much is someones life worth? I get angry when corrupt government, big business and the greedy people involved think that money is worth more than someone’s life and our environment.

I liked the glimpse of Hawaiian history, the characters and the storyline. The story seemed a little rushed and fell a little flat, but Mike Bond did keep the mystery going and who doesn’t want to visit a tropical island and do a little surfing.

This isn’t my first Mike Bond read and it won’t be my last.

Hang loose.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of Saving Paradise by Mike Bond.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

Read more here.

• To see all my Giveaways, go HERE.
  • To see all my reviews, go HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s
  • Thanks for visiting!