logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2018-11-18 23:00
The Sunday Post

Good evening,

I can't believe it is Sunday night already. Not that I have been so busy that I didn't even notice the weekend flying by, on the contrary, but it flew by all the same.

I spent most of the last two days decompressing from last week: I returned from my trip to Paris late on Tuesday night and spend much longer days at work than anticipated for the rest of the week. By Friday night I was exhausted.

So, apart from pottering about and sleeping and unpacking, I have done as little as possible.

This included reading. We've started our buddy read of Patricia Highsmith's A Game for the Living yesterday, but I didn't even have enough focus to manage to make a real dent into the book until this afternoon, after I had cleared my head with something a little lighter yesterday. And even this was only possible because of extra reading fuel.

Oh, and I also picked up a book in Paris. Shocking, I know, but look at the restraint!

Actually, I was looking for a copy of Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex, but the bookshop I was in only had a the latest translations (which apparently suffers from some translation issues) and then I spotted this one, proudly took it to the desk, and the bookseller even commented that she really enjoyed the book. To say that I'm excited about the book is putting it mildly.

My only real break from sleeping, reading, and pottering about came last night when I attended a panel discussion about women in politics, where local councillors, MSPs (Members of the Scottish Parliament), and MPs (Members of Parliament) of  various political persuasions discussed ways to get involved in local politics and what differences women might face to men when doing so. This was organised by a local group that has been running events throughout the year to commemorate Women's Suffrage in the UK.

It was a fascinating debate and I'm glad I went: not only because I thought it was great of the politicians who attended to take part, but also because there don't seem to be a lot such open and collaborative discussions across parties.

I must admit that I also liked the setting. The Town House is a rather nice venue.

review 2018-11-17 11:40
Book Tour with Giveaway, Excerpt & Review! Finding Luna (Pride #1) Becca Fanning!

Finding Luna
Pride Book 1
by Becca Fanning
Genre: RH Paranormal Romance

What happens when three Lion Shifters have to share one Mate?

Maryellen was born into a life, if given the chance, she would gladly give away. Though she is probably one of the wealthiest people in the country, Maryellen has never wanted her wealth. Nor her family who is constantly trying to find ways to steal her wealth from her. After being the sole heir to her grandfather’s fortune, everyone has been out to get her ever since. After countless kidnapping attempts and always being afraid to fall asleep, El is finally taking the step to date someone and perhaps find true love.

But when she meets Ryan on a blind date, her world changes forever. She is plunged into the world of the paranormal as Ryan reveals his true identity; that he is the leader of the local Pride of Lions. And more than that is the fact that Ryan knows El is her mate. And to make matters more complicated, Ryan is part of a Triad of brothers. Meaning, El has three mates. As El tries to comprehend this crazy new life she is a part of, she can’t deny how right this all feels. She now has the protection of shifters and three men who will love her and keep her safe.

But, even after accepting her new life, she can’t let go of the past. She will have to find the truth behind why she is always targeted and come to understand that it’s not just for her money. She will have to make tough decisions, but at least now she knows she will never be alone again.

USA Today Bestselling Author Becca Fanning brings you a compelling and steamy Reverse Harem Shifter Romance!

The first book in this reverse harem paranormal romance serial easily draws readers in with strong, vibrant characters and an intriguing concept. The romance is sweet but definitely hot and stirring while promising to get even hotter as the story continues but the relationship is has a couple of obstacles that stands in its way…like finding out the man you are dating is not human and he wants her to mate with not only him but two others. There is lots of emotional upheaval in this story not only from the romance but also from vulnerabilities and El’s family issues that has readers wanting to grab her and give a great big hug even while they are wishing they could have those hot sexy lions for their very own.

The suspense builds throughout the story as El struggles to accept everything but there is also quite a bit of excitement in the story as several twists spice things up even more. There is also some adrenaline pumping action as El is targeted for kidnapping and her men try to discover who is behind it and why. The author has created a fascinating and sexy new world that easily catches the readers interest and holds them captive throughout although since it is a serial romance the story does end on a major cliffhanger. While this story is has some red hot passionate scenes, it’s not all about the intimate scenes as it has a fast paced plot full of suspense and easily keeps readers turning the pages until they have read every last word.

Author's Book Page

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41038429-finding-luna

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/finding-luna-pride-book-1-by-becca-fanning

AVAILABLE in print or ebook

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Luna-Shifter-Reverse-Romance-ebook/dp/B07G4GMNHD

iBooks - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/finding-luna/id1421311715?mt=11

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/finding-luna-becca-fanning/1129217622?ean=2940161932957

GPlay - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Becca_Fanning_Finding_Luna

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/my/en/ebook/finding-luna

Most people hate first dates.

The truth was, Maryellen Forsythe-Drew, or El to her friends, hated them too. But on this particular occasion, she had a gut feeling.

And that gut feeling was telling her that this date was going to be epic.

Sure, it wasn’t the first time the gut feeling had made an appearance, and had, ultimately, let her down. Like the time she’d been certain she’d be allowed more leeway with her campaigns on one of her charities when instead the head of project development had come on to her.

Filing for sexual harassment, and inadvertently getting the flexibility she’d wanted as a result, wasn’t how she figured gut feelings should work, but…

“Wow, way to blow your good mood, El,” she grumbled under her breath as she took a seat at the swanky restaurant where she’d arranged to meet with her blind date.

He wasn’t late. El was just insanely early. The need to get here, to get the ball rolling as it were, had been driving her since they’d made the damn arrangements on Thursday.

The anticipation of waiting for Saturday had practically killed her. But she’d already had arrangements with her parents on Friday night, and though she’d have loved to have skipped that particular session in torture, the misery from breaking that date wasn’t worth it.

Even for a date that had more potential than any other she’d had this year.

She blew out a breath as the server appeared. It was a woman, and praying for female solidarity instead of sisterly bitchiness, she asked, “Do I look flustered?”

The woman, a young blonde barely out of high school, blinked at her. “Ma’am?”

“I’m about to have a first date,” El explained, her stomach rumbling with more nerves. “I was just hoping I don’t look as bright pink as I feel.”

The server, Diana from her badge, smiled at her. “No, you don’t look pink. You look quite cute.”

El blinked. “Really?”

“Yeah.” Diana grinned. “I bat for your team, so you can trust me when I say that.”

El’s mouth dropped open. Feeling more flustered now, her hands rose and fell several times on her lap before they settled on digging into her upper thighs. “Oh my God, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to impose.”

Could she have messed that up more royally?

Diana snorted. “Don’t be silly. I only mentioned it so you’d know when I say cute, I mean it. I can tell, you’re very nervous though.”

“I am,” El confessed, and it felt weird to have a confessor who was at least ten years younger than her, but damn, she’d take anything she could get. “I met him on that new dating site, Pride in Love. My friends dared me to go on it and I thought it was just stupid, but then I met Ryan, and…” She blew out a long breath.

“He’s like the whole package, you know?”

Diana’s smile was warm. “I’m glad. So why if he’s the ‘whole package’ are you nervous? You should be excited!”

“Because I’m a dork, and I don’t want to screw things up,” El admitted. “I’m already here forty minutes early…”

Diana blinked in surprise. “Wow! That’s definitely early. Can I get you something to drink or eat to settle your nerves?”

“I don’t normally drink,” El confessed again. “But on this occasion, I’ll have a white wine spritzer. Maybe that will calm me down. I really don’t want to mess this up.”

“Well, you look beautiful, and you’re nice and friendly, El. I don’t see why you should be any different when Ryan comes by.”

Something about Diana’s words before she bustled off had El sitting up straighter. The server was right.

She was a nice woman. Easy to talk to, friendly and caring. On the outside, she wasn’t bad to look at. Her friends said she was beautiful but El knew they were just being kind—if she dropped thirty pounds, she’d be beautiful.

As El’s mom often said, “You have such a pretty face, darling.” That wonderful compliment often came when El arrived at the family home, dressed formally as her mother required, and always feeling wanting in comparison to her stick thin sisters-in-law—a feeling her mother encouraged.

El shrugged off the thought because if she had her parents on her mind she’d never charm Ryan.

Even thinking about her family was enough to subdue her, and El knew that wasn’t the woman Ryan had come to know.

Within the anonymity of the dating site, she’d allowed her natural vivacity to flow free when they’d chatted, and she wanted Ryan to meet that side of her. The uninhibited woman who could and would appear when she wasn’t being cowed by her mommy and daddy.

Irritation flared, and she embraced it. Embraced the heat because it burned that inner core of cold that she’d created over the years as a defense mechanism.

Spying Diana coming with her drink, El took a look around the restaurant and smiled. It was a fancy place, that was for sure.

Bright white, it should have been cold, but huge golden orbs were suspended from the ceiling in different heights, creating a wave of sorts. The orbs were like miniature moons. All of them in assorted sizes.

They swirled about the room, even appearing on the floor; in corners or over on the dancefloor in the center of the restaurant, which was bordered by the bright orbs.

Tables were sectioned off for privacy with low frosted glass partitions, but the bright cerulean blue tablecloths were a spark of color in the otherwise white restaurant. Even the waitstaff wore all white.

She looked at the doorway where the maître d’ stood. The woman was tall, close to six feet, and she was the only staff member that El could see who wore color—the same bright blue as the tablecloths. Her white starched blouse was tucked into high waist trousers, and the result was a tailored dream.

El wished like hell she had the figure to pull off something so simple, but she was way too round for that.

A pear when she needed to be a ruler.

Feeling Diana’s approach, she was about to turn when she saw Ryan—immediately recognizing him from his pictures online. He didn’t come from the front door, but from a back room behind the maître d’. He stopped to talk to the woman, smiled at her as he bent over the stand, and studied the plans she kept on there.

Just as El was wondering whether Ryan managed the restaurant or something, he kissed the maître d’s cheek.

Bile tried and failed to gurgle around her insides, but jealousy did. It hadn’t been a sexual kiss, El tried to reason with herself.
Still, seeing it hurt.

The thought had her stiffening in her seat because she didn’t own the damn man.

It had been a kiss on the cheek, not an all-out make out session in the doorway. Friends kissed friends, right? It could be perfectly natural. Innocent, she thought frantically.

Before the tension from her date kissing another woman could flood her, Diana appeared and popped her drink down in front of her. The server must have seen where she was looking because she half-turned and saw Ryan.

El frowned at Diana’s reaction—the other woman dropped her tray to her side and declared, “You’re the Ryan?”

El flushed. “Excuse me?” Mortification succeeded in turning her bright pink. What the hell was going on?

Ryan approached the table, and now he was nearer, and not kissing cheeks with beautiful members of staff, she had to admit he was better looking in person.

God, talk about a total understatement. Better looking? That was like saying he was handsome.

Ryan was…

Well, handsome wasn’t the word.

He was a god.

That was it.

No other way of describing him.

Taller than the maître d’, she knew from his profile he was six-seven. But he wore it well. He wasn’t thin and lean, but lithe and strong. His muscles were evident through his brutally tailored navy suit. It clung in all the right places and displayed a soupcon of a white silk shirt that lay flat against abs so delineated, she could see them through the fabric. He wore no tie, but he had a little pocket handkerchief… the lack of one and the presence of the other equalizing the semi-formal look.

His hair was a blond any woman would have killed for. So many shades of gold, her own hands longed to touch the silky locks. He was tanned and bronze, and his eyes were a bright blue that seemed to scan the situation with ease.

He had a strong Roman nose, a wide brow, lips made for kissing, and a jaw so hulking she knew from looks alone how stubborn he was.

All in all, she felt totally underdressed and overwhelmed.

Who was this god and why had he elected to date her?

She gulped when he shot her a smile that made her melt. Just like that.
Jesus.

His nostrils flared a second, but before she could freak out over whether he could smell her arousal—who could do that? No one, she desperately reassured herself—he turned to Diana and wrapped an arm around her.
Wow, this guy was tactile.

$50 Amazon

Follow the tour HERE for exclusive content and a giveaway!

USA Today Bestselling Author Becca is interested in one thing: big alpha male Shifters who know when to be tough and when to be sensitive. She didn't think there were enough of those, so she's been writing about them for the past three years! Her books are steamy with deep characters, suspense and authentic relationships.

Website - https://authorbecca.com/

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/authorbecca

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/becca-fanning

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Becca-Fanning/e/B00KH6A04S

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8390115.Becca_Fanning

THANKS FOR VISITING & HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!

review 2018-11-17 07:57
Heart Throb (Hearts of Metal #7) by Brooklyn Ann
Heart Throb (Hearts of Metal #7) - Brooklyn Ann

Heart Throb (Hearts of Metal #7) - Brooklyn Ann

This series will hook you from the beginning! This is the seventh and unfortunately the final book in the series but it can definitely be read as a standalone.

Lexi is well aware of her looks and doesn’t need to be reminded of them every five seconds. At this point in her life she’s more concerned about making a butt-kicking documentary about the metal band Vicious and fulfilling her dream of making a feature horror film. She just needs to stop worrying about (and staring at) the grouch in the band in order to meet her deadline.
Brand, the bassist of the band, is that grouch. He’s had a tough childhood and doesn’t let anyone get close. Letting people into his life means giving them a chance to hurt him and he’s tired of that. Not even the model-look-alike disrupting his life is going to change that.

Lexi and Brand were a super cute couple. They both tried to deny their attraction from the beginning and so drama and plenty of laughs ensued when they pretended there was no chemistry between them. Brand might have acted all gruff and indifferent at times but he had some deeps scars that made him act that way. Luckily Lexi saw past that dark exterior and focused more on the man that worried about and cared for her. He made some huge mistakes along the way but he learned his lessons and proved he was capable of love.

I don’t want this series to end because I need more from all of the bands! I loved the way each character was not only depicted as skilled at what they did but also as imperfect, vulnerable, normal human beings. I also appreciate how they went through some ordinary, real life situations because that made them even more real. Like when Lexi was having some bad cramping and everyone kept commenting on her looks instead of how she was feeling… yeah, that right there made me want to hug the author! Situations like that happened in all of the books and man, I loved those little bits in each of the books. You can also tell the author loves the metal rock world by the way she describes it and lets us readers be a part of it. I didn’t think I was a fan but after going behind the scenes of the music I know I will give it a try. This was a fabulous read, with well-developed characters and a fascinating setting. I definitely recommend it.

*I received this book at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher**

review 2018-11-16 17:45
Lovesick couldn't be a more appropriate title
Lovesick - Ángeles Mastretta,Margaret Sayers Peden

"When did you get here?" Emilia asked him, kissing him as she had when their lips were smooth and unwrinkled. The eternal throbbing beat below her breastbone.

"I never leave," said Daniel, stroking her head with its scent of mysteries.

Spanning almost 50yrs, this is the story of Emilia. The vast majority of the story takes place during the Mexican Revolution (1910-20) and does a good job shining a light on how discontent, injustice, and passion bring about such wars. Emilia's childhood friend, who grows up to be her love, Daniel, is more than full of passion for the war and constantly leaves and is at battle leaving Emilia. Their love story is one people in their younger years would find exciting, dramatic, lustful, and love torn; a lovestory that is exciting to read about but hellish to live.

Emilia's father was a pharmacist, and she starts to study under him and grow her own passion but for medicine. She naturally and fights her way to becoming a doctor, no mean feat during this time period. She meets a Dr. Zavalza and love triangle ensues.

I really enjoyed the first 70% of this, as we get a historical feel for the Revolution with discussion and interaction with Diaz, Madero, Zapata. I do wish we could have had some scenes from Daniel to get a feel for the battles but this look at it from ordinary citizens was encompassing in its own way, too. Emilia's aunt and a poet who is in love with said aunt, were my favorite secondary characters and I would happily read the aunt's life story, what a woman she sounds like.

The last 30% was very rushed through as we get some of the conflict following the Revolution with Zapatistas and Cardenas with Daniel and Emilia continuing their relationship in a not thought of conventional way. Years pass quickly and Emilia becoming a doctor and having children is quickly told. This rushed ending kind of gave all the emotional upheaval and drama, I as the reader, went through less gravitas.

Lovesick couldn't be a more apt title as Emilia and Daniel's relationship wasn't exactly healthy. Daniel's passion for the war and how he constantly puts it above Emilia and Emilia's inability to let impulsive Daniel and his frenzy for fighting go in favor of Zavalza's calm supporting love will make you want to pull your hair out.

The historical context was weaved expertly into the story and Emilia's life journey will definitely make you feel.

review 2018-11-16 14:24
ARC REVIEW Lord Carlton's Courtship by Alexandra Ivy

Lord Carlton's Courtship

Originally published in 2000 under the name Debbie Raleigh, Alexandra Ivy has re-released this with a beautiful new cover. I enjoyed this one, it's not one of my favorites I think I prefer her PNR but it was a good read. The story was well written and I liked the way it played out. I liked the characters too, even though Roma did get annoyingly stubborn at one point.

All it took was one meeting with Roma Allendyle for Lord Giles Carlton to be completely besotted and one conversation to fall head over heels. But Roma isn't looking for a husband she looking for her missing brother and only after Carlton points out that as a woman she will get no information of anyone in the Home Office does she finally give in and let Carlton help her; that by no way means she going to stop looking herself. It bugs Roma that Carlton is helping her, she can't figure out his motive and the fact that he can find out information about her brother because he's a man really bugs her. Roma also keeps getting distracted by how handsome he is and why out of all the women in London he wishes to be with her a head strong, intelligent, country girl who hates London. She can't seem to realize Carlton's helping her is also his way or courting her too.

Overall, it's an quick (unless you are constantly distracted by your kids like I was) and easy read. I loved the characters and the action was pretty intense there at the end. It's a worthwhile read. I really loved the atypical courtship between Carlton and Roma.