logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: comic-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-05 20:48
Review: Squadron Supreme Vol. 1: By Any Means Necessary!
Squadron Supreme Vol. 1: By Any Means Necessary - James Robinson

Title: Squadron Supreme Vol. 1: By Any Means Necessary!
Author: James Robinson
Series: Squadron Supreme (2015), 1
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: They're the sole survivors of lost Earths, and they'll do anything to protect this one — whether you like it or not! The former Avenger Hyperion. The Nighthawk of Supreme Power. Blur from the New Universe's DP7. Doctor Spectrum of the Great Society. And the original Squadron's Power Princess. Together, they're the Squadron Supreme, and they don't care about the rules. If you stand in their way, that's your problem! First on their to-do list: Namor, destroyer of Doctor Spectrum's homeworld. He must pay for his crimes — and pay dearly. But the Squadron's extreme measures attract the attention of the Uncanny Avengers! And when the team descends into Weirdworld — the newest, strangest corner of the Marvel Universe — can they escape without the aid of Thundra?

Favourite character: Nighthawk & Blur
Least favourite character: Warrior Woman

Mini-review: It was really fun to read this. Except for Thundra, who I only know from the Ultimate Spider-Man show, I knew literally no one else (except for the obvious of Cap, Deadpool, Rogue and Johnny Storm). But of the main characters, no one. If you had asked me if Nighthawk was Marvel or DC, I would've said DC. I'm so glad he's Marvel. I enjoyed this.

review 2019-10-01 10:01
Darkseid Is... Another Great Read By Tom King!
Mister Miracle - Tom King,Mitch Gerads

When I first read The Vision written by Tom King, I saw brilliance and passion that was never done before in comics. When I heard about Mister Miracle, also written by him, I have to read it and this is by far, another great read that only he can come up some thing original, much like the Wes Anderson of comics.

But what I can't say much about this is the synopsis because there is just so much to write about and also, in its own brilliance, deeper than I have ever read. There are layers upon layers in this story that focus on Scott Free and his wife, Big Barda and how all of a sudden, New Genesis is at war. But this is not about the war, it is the question of life and death and how Scott Free handles it. He is not really at his right mind, and his reality seems to be crumbling down or just the other way around? Still, what makes this comic an incredible read is the dialogue, the artwork and the nine-panel creation that was meant to write as it is for. I love how it is not the norm from most written comics but this is one of the best stories I have ever read and one I would recommend to all if you have not read it. Yes, it may get confusing if you do not know most of the characters from the Fourth World but don't let it stop you, you just got to read this.

review 2019-09-30 05:04
Review: The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1.1: Learning to Crawl
Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1.1: Learning to Crawl - Dan Slott,Ramón Pérez

Title: The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1.1: Learning to Crawl
Author: Dan Slott
Series: The Amazing Spider-Man (2014), 1.1
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: It’s the chapter you never knew about the story you know by heart! Join Peter Parker as he takes his first steps toward finding his way in the world as Spider-Man! He sought revenge and found responsibility. From that night on, a new life began. Peter’s not a hero — not yet — but he’ll get there somehow. But what happens when Peter meets Clash, New York’s newest menace? Clash is Spidey’s biggest fan, but what started off as fun and games soon turns deadly serious — and Clash is about to become his first super villain! And as a classic Spidey villain joins in on the fun, J. Jonah’s Jameson’s crusade against Spider-Man kicks into overdrive, and Uncle Ben’s secrets come to light! Dan Slott and Ramón Pérez deliver a new spin on Spider-Man’s first 60 days!

Favourite character: Peter
Least favourite character: Clayton

Mini-review: Weird. It's the same story we've seen in two movies and tons of comics yet different. It's partially from the POV of a Clash, Spidey's number one fan turned first unofficial villain. I liked it, felt very retro.

review 2019-09-30 03:43
Big Head is Back!
The Mask Omnibus Vol.2 (2nd Edition) - Peter Gross,Rich Hedden,Сибин Майналовски,John Arcudi,Bob Fingerman,Dough Mahnke,Evan Dorkin,Goran Delic

After the first omnibus of The Mask, volume 2 is more of 'fillers' with some good stories, some not. As always, the formula of the stories aren't much different than the rest. Here's the low down of what's inside of volume 2:

The Hunt for Green October - Every mercenary in the world is looking for the green mask and now, Ray Tuttle, a poor pawn shop owner bought the green menace and wear it to wreck havoc in Sky City! With so much chaos, Lieutenant Kellaway will do any thing to stop Big-Head from destroying people's lives! (3.5 out of 5)

World Tour - The Mask has gone to another dimension... Dark Horse Universe style! When mentally unstable General Blaire wears the mask, he visits Steel Harbor, Arcadia and Golden City to make chaos looks like a walk in the park. All the heroes from DHCU will do anything to stop Big Head! (2.5 out of 5)

Southern Discomfort - The Mask is now in New Orleans! Voodoo and madness stumbles upon the south where Big Head (worn by Eric Martin) is looking for his missing sister. He will tear New Orleans apart to find her, even if the supernatural and alligators is in his way! (3 out of 5)

Night of the Return of the Living Ipkiss... Kinda - The return of Stanley Ipkiss, zombified and wearing the mask to seek revenge in this short story! (3 out of 5)

Toys in the Attic - Aldo Krasker is on the edge and looking for new ideas to create a new toyline of toys when he bought a mask that gives him the idea he needs... and more! Out for revenge when he was mocked and ridicule during his younger days, Big Head is fulfilling what he wants, which is revenge, in a way New York City will never be the same again! And Lieutenant Kellaway is going to stop (again) Big Head from destroying the city. (3 out of 5)

Various writers have wrote their version of The Mask and so far, I enjoyed Evan Dorkin's The Hunt for Green October the most. The rest felt like a repeated formula that doesn't serve any better than the original two. Overall - I love and enjoy reading The Mask and its one of those comics that Dark Horse had a title that truly defines DHC.

review 2019-09-01 03:28
Review: Silk Vol. 2: The Negative
Silk Vol. 2: The Negative - Robbie Thompson

Title: Silk Vol. 2: The Negative
Author: Robbie Thompson
Series: Silk (2015), 2
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: After the events of SPIDER-WOMEN, Silk's ever-turbulent life has been turned upside down yet again! What's a young super hero to do? Probably not run more robberies with the Black Cat! Because when Silk's luck runs out and Felicia learns the truth about her seeming ally, it'll end in tears! And if Cindy escapes in one piece, she'll be haunted by Spectro! Who is this spooky figure, and will he be a friendly ghost? Then, Silk's search for her parents has, so far, been decidedly short on positives. Maybe she'll have more luck accentuating the negative — the Negative Zone, that is! What the heck could Cindy's folks have been up to in there? Even if Cindy and pals can get in to find them, the N-Zone is one place that's hard to leave!

Favourite character: Cindy
Least favourite character: N/A

Mini-review: Good. Liked the medieval knight aspect. Liked how her besties found out Cindy being Silk and came along for the ride. Also loved the relationship with Dave the Dragon.