logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: kyraryker-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-19 16:21
New Adult angst
After I Fall - Jessica Scott

Parker has had it with following her father and fiancé's orders, she wants to break free. When the offer of an internship leads her to the hot new bar The Pint, it's the owner who may be the chance of a lifetime.
Eli is out of the Army but you can't take the Army out of the man. His bar has become a haven for vets and as their pseudo commander, he watches over them all. When a high society miss, who he turned down the night before, comes in wanting the internship, he knows his world is about to be shaken up.

After I Fall, is the third installment of the Falling series. I haven't read the previous books and never felt lost, there are obvious previous characters and I think our hero and heroine are in the others but their romance starts here. Even though Parker and Eli are in their mid-twenties and thirties, this had a very New Adult feel to it. Each chapter is a pov change between the two, which is not a personal favorite of mine. The author did the changes fairly frequently, even in the middle of scenes, which had a tendency to break the scene for me and give a stop and go feel, keeping me out of the flow.

Parker was our poor little rich girl and Eli our bad boy soldier. This story was very trope heavy but every once in a while, there was a hint of nuances with the two that made them stand out a little bit. Parker has an abusive boyfriend and a rich daddy who doesn't pay attention to her but her business knowledge, she's trying to get into Grad school for her MBA, pops up to blow Eli out of the water with how he should market his business. Eli seems very still waters run deep but I didn't feel like we ever really got to dive into him. His big secret isn't revealed until around the 80% mark and while it was laid out, we never got the time to emotionally invest in it. However, the issues with how alienated soldiers feel when they return to civilian life and the complexity of how to manage and live with their emotions from living through war were dropped in here and there. The nuances are there but they weren't delved into or weaved in enough to become felt.

I couldn't help but feel slightly annoyed with Parker, her issue is written in a way that the heart of it seems to be that she simply won't go against her father's directives because then she'd have to pay rent for her own apartment; the father and fiancé villain characters were very underdeveloped. It's brought up that she tried to rebel once with a friend but once again, it's dropped in but never flushed out so we're left not really thinking much of it or getting an emotional impact from it. I had a hard time believing in Eli and Parker's relationship, the focuses is pretty much on them being angst-y sexually attracted to each other with Parker thinking the whole time she'll have to marry her fiancé and Eli thinking he could never be good enough for her.

The author has created a series with a handful of characters with deep troubled issues but the lack of depth and emotionally weaving them into the story hurt this installment. I believe Parker and Eli were sexually attracted to each other but not sure I buy into their long-term relationship.

review 2017-08-16 17:37
Medieval Mundane
Beast: Great Bloodlines Converge - Kathryn Le Veque

Mostly a story about how a medieval knight who was tasked with watching over Joan of Arc befriending her, taking her heart from the pyre, and trying to secretly bury it in Winchester, per her request.

A forced marriage along the way, a boat load of characters, and some clandestine wheeling and dealing between French knights and English knights.

The romance is a small portion of this with a very real feeling 1400s feel, the author knows her time and place.

There's a story here, just not one I found too entertaining; medieval mundane.

review 2017-08-12 21:54
Unlucky coincidence
Her Enemy at the Altar - Virginia Heath

This book had the unlucky coincidence of being read right after a lackluster book that pretty much had the same storyline.

Tall heroine who hides her hurt behind a tough abrasive exterior. This book's heroine was better constructed but the whole "I can never believe I have any minuscule attractiveness to me" carried on far too long. It ended up giving her a bit of immaturity.

Poor gorgeous hero who needs to marry for money to save estate. Same character outline as the other books I read but story placement here was a bit different with hero and heroine's families having a centuries old feud. The feud wasn't really explained but how it effected their present families was detailed. They are caught in a compromising position and hero marries heroine even though her father doesn't give him her dowry, thus bankrupting the hero.

This book had more of a story construct but how long it takes the hero and heroine to develop past the immature "I hate you!" "No, I hate you!" took too long and I missed seeing their relationship without any animosity.

Since I read this right after not enjoying an extremely similar storyline, I definitely think I already had my fill of insecure abrasive tall heroines (I'm even one!) and the poor gorgeous heroes who just want them to recognize how regal they are.

The bottom line, I was exhausted by how long it took hero and heroine to move beyond their animosity.

review 2017-08-11 17:43
Surface
If the Rogue Fits (Must Love Rogues Book 2) - Eva Devon

Heiress is tall and not conventionally attractive, because of how her father always puts her down and men act toward her, she becomes very bitter towards the opposite sex. Earns reputation for being a man hater.

Gorgeous poor Earl needs money to rebuild estate father ruined. Finds out heroine is rich and goes for her, lucky him, he finds her sassy great.

Heroine's whole gender male hating and gruffness was a bit off-putting and hero's genial good guy shucks was a bit hokey dokey. Not a lot of depth to the writing, very surface characters with cliche villainous daddies and non-villainous misunderstood sister and friend.

The story was predictable from beginning to end and was a quick read. Some dialogue connection moments between hero and heroine but never flushed out. Surface and over trodden ground.

review 2017-08-11 03:43
Freebie ok-ness
Barefoot in White - Roxanne St. Claire
"When I'm finished, you will see yourself as the beautiful, sexy, sensual, desirable, and smokin'-hot woman that I see every time I look at you."
Something cracked inside---some ice around her heart, maybe? Or maybe it was the wall of protection she'd erected for so long she couldn't remember life without it. Or perhaps it was her willpower to say no to anything. She didn't know, but all Willow could do was hope she didn't shed a tear while Nick Hershey gave her a gift she'd feared she'd never get or deserve.
Adoration.

This story moved along at a pretty quick clip while dealing with some pretty heavy issues. The heroine has big mommy issues, her mother was a model and apparently brow beat her and tried to control her, forcing her daughter into her image. This severely backfired and made the heroine turn to food for comfort. Hero is on medical leave after losing hearing in one of his ears and is dealing with guilt stemming from someone he cared about dying because of a decision he made.

The heroine is definitely the strongest of the characters with her more front and center and her thoughts and feelings flushed out more. There is a lifetime movie mechanism that throws a wrench at our couple just when they might get things figured out that eventually flows into a super rushed bow tie ending; our mother daughter reunion is solved far too quickly for the 80% of the book where the heroine goes over and over how her mother emotionally messed her up. Our hero is a little wooden with a basic military man guilt storyline and I didn't feel we delved into him as well.

The romance was rushed and it felt like our couple never got to really move and shake around with their bonding as the quick pace I mentioned along with heroine's emotional issues took over. There was a lot of stuttered stop and go between them.

The epilogue was cheesy ridiculousness and had me rolling my eyes. I got this as a freebie and its better than most. If the author delved deeper and flushed things out more while having our leads have more interactions outside the hero's villa and pool, this would have been better. I would give another in the series a try.